Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sandy: Everyone, PLEASE

This is a discussion on Sandy: Everyone, PLEASE within the Thoughts and Prayers forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons One thought: If you consider donating to the Red Cross, please consider donating as a general ...

Disinterested

Re: Sandy: Everyone, PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post
    One thought:

If you consider donating to the Red Cross, please consider donating as a general donation, and not specifying "Sandy." Often times groups like Red Cross and World Vision have an outpouring of donations for specific causes, like Sandy, but many times a lot of those donations come from people who already give on a regular basis. Marking the funds for "Sandy" prohibits them from applying funds elsewhere, and most of these organizations do lots of work in a lot of places, which leaves them cash-strapped for some efforts, and overly-endowed for others. So, let the organization decide how best to use the funds, if you can!
    Point taken, but for the time being, I for one HOPE that the Sandy disaster is over-funded, though I seriously doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoserX View Post
    Scott, I understand your upset, but please don't assume that just because we haven't replied here it doesn't mean we have not done something to help in whatever way that may be.
    Perhaps you missed my last post. I think it's safe to assume that Scott, as well as myself understand this. I know a LOT more Puffers are pitching in with help than the few who have posted on this thread. Many of us have our "pet forums" and rarely venture beyond their bounds. My best estimate is that only about 15% of our members even know there's a "Thoughts and Prayers" forum and there's nothing at all wrong with that.

Either way, thanks for posting.

The Red Cross link / site I referred to earlier , your donation is for the " disaster relief " service of the Red Cross. Your funds will go as they see fit.
    They are pretty clear with that. Although there is a "Sandy" picture on the page.

The text to the RED CROSS to 90999 does not explicitly say it goes directly to Sandy.
    You text them and they txt you back for confirm.

Last edited by Bondo 440; 11-05-2012 at 06:08 PM.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Just got back from Brooklyn i felt like i stepped into the Twilight zone.
    Just picture leaving for work in the morning and coming home not recognizing where you are. Went over to my house in Sheepshead bay and assessed my damages, afterwards i stopped at a friends in far Rockaway,and anothers in Breezy point. Those neighborhoods are demolished between Hurricane and fire. Total neighborhoods so silent its Erie no people just destruction. Looks like something from an old WWII movie. My grandmother used to say rest in peace!
    " I was sad because i had no shoes then i met a man with no feet"-Concetta
    That being said i donated all the clothes and food i could bring 5 contractor bags full. Donated to the local food pantry gave a pint of blood and about $100 in cash i had in my pocket. For anybody that lives anywhere near these areas that can help i beg you please these people are without anything. Beware that many donations that are solicited from outside sources take huge fees and only a portion gets to the people in need.
    As for my problems they are really quite small in comparison Thank GOD!
    "Ride a painted pony let the spinning wheel spin"!-David Clayton-Thomas

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

ROCKAWAY
    ===========================================
    FOR MONDAY VOLUNTEERS --- If you have a car with empty seats, please go to St Jacoby Church on 4th Avenue and 54th Street in Sunset Park, Brooklyn at 10am to pick up people. We need as many volunteers as possible. If you have a car that is full, please go directly to the firehouse at Beach 59th St Rockaway Blvd at 10:30am. If you do not have a car, please go to St Jacoby Church on 4th Avenue and 54th Street in Sunset Park, Brooklyn at 10am, where those with room in their cars will be offering rides. (via Occupy Sandy Relief)

Occupy Sandy's main volunteer site is located at St. Jacobi Church (5406 4th Ave) in Sunset Park. A second site at the Church of St. Luke and St. Matthew (520 Clinton Avenue, between Fulton & Atlantic) in Clinton Hill is also accepting volunteers and donations. (9am – 9pm)

** SPECIAL NOTICE TO ROCKAWAY VOLUNTEERS: if you intend to go to Rockaway from St Jacobi or 520 Clinton please wear waterproof shoes, bring latex gloves to go underneath their working gloves. If available, bring flashlights to work in basements and shovels to get rid of water. Also a great need of cars–with gas. Lots of them. Without a doubt–people said they need PEOPLE–not supplies. PEOPLE to help them with their homes.

Volunteers are needed this Monday at St. Francis: 10am at 219 Beach 129th Street

Volunteers, please continue showing up at St. Francis de Sales ready to help. Residents, please keep sending us addresses of those in need. (via Rockaway Relief)

The NY Communities for Change (NYCC) office at 2-4 Nevins Street, 2nd Fl, Brooklyn NY 11217, is collecting donations and transporting them to Far Rockaway twice a day. Stop by between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. Have a car? NYCC also needs help to transport donations. Contact Olivia Leirer with NYCC at oleirer@nycommunities.org for more information. Or fill a car with donations from friends and deliver these items yourself to: City Council Member James Sanders’ Office, 15-26 Central Avenue #2, Far Rockaway, NY 11691

All hot or prepared meals can be taken to: Church of the Nazarene, 1414 Central Avenue, Far Rockaway, NY 11691
    Any questions about donating or delivering hot meals, please call Donovan Richards with City Council Member James Sanders’ Office at (347) 426-7961 or Rev. Samuel M. Reid at (71 327-5242. The Church of the Nazarene needs volunteers as well as supplies. Come by to volunteer in the neighborhood, serve food, sort donations, and lend a hand to the people of Far Rockaway.

The Silver Gull Club is accepting donations to help Breezy Point. They are collecting batteries, flashlights, toiletries, water, food, blankets/bedding and other necessities. No clothing, please. 1 Beach 193rd Street (71 634-1500

The Meat Hook in Williamsburg is collecting supplies to serve hot meals to those stranded in the Rockaways, some of whom haven’t eaten in days. They’re also facilitating folks to sign up for FEMA relief. Stop by their store at 100 Frost Street to drop off items listed here.

STATEN ISLAND
    Christian Pentecostal Church, 900 Richmond Rd, corner of Ralph Pl, Desperately needs volunteers! Especially this week, Monday – Friday, 9-5pm. There is a long-term need for volunteers, ages 18 and up. The church is located along the s74 & s76 bus routes and walking distance from s53 stop at corner of Clove Rd/narrows Rd & Richmond Rd.

Staten Island Recovers is connecting volunteers and givers in the borough and @SIrecovers.

Where to Volunteer - St. Jacobi Church, 5406 4th Avenue, Brooklyn (53rd Street stop on the R train). Please come to St. Jacobi to receive volunteer orientation. After a brief meeting in the church sanctuary, you be able to either stay on location or join transportation to other sites. We will dispatch you to where you are needed most through our contacts on the ground in Staten Island. We can take both volunteers who have cars and those who do not. (via Occupy Sandy)

**SPECIAL NOTICE TO STATEN ISLAND VOLUNTEERS: Traffic congestion is a serious problem there. Please use bikes, shopping carts, “granny carts” and carpool as much as possible.

SI Live has a list of organizations and locations accepting monetary donations and goods.

To register to foster a displaced animal on Staten Island, register with Anarchy Animal Rescue.

RED HOOK
    Red Hook Initiative is collecting toilet paper, water, candles, food, flashlights, cell phone chargers, batteries, paper towels, and paper for printers.

Here are details on The Red Hook Initiative's operations for the week of Nov. 5:
    Volunteers please report to 402 Van Brunt Street (10am - 5pm)
    Hot Meals should be delivered to 767 Hicks Street (11am - 6pm)
    Please tell us if you plan to deliver hot food and at what time. We'd like to try to make sure we have enough and that we don't get too much knowing other communities need the same. If you plan to bring a meal, send an email to food@rhicenter.org
    Cleaning Supplies / Water Pumps/Generators should be delivered to 402 Van Brunt Street (10am - 5pm)
    Canned Food/ Non-perishables / Flashlights/ Candles/ Blankets - Please deliver to 767 Hicks Street OR Good Shepherd Services (173 Conover Street) OR Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (98 Richards Street/ Verona Street) (10am - 5pm)

Red Hook Recovers is connecting volunteers and givers in the area.

Trinity Grace Church of Park Slope is organizing volunteers at the Miccio Community Center in Red Hook (110 West 9th Street). The items they need there are: paper bags or grocery bags, blankets, toothbrushes and toothpaste, feminine hygiene products and food.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Red Hook Recovers is connecting volunteers and givers in the area.

Trinity Grace Church of Park Slope is organizing volunteers at the Miccio Community Center in Red Hook (110 West 9th Street). The items they need there are: paper bags or grocery bags, blankets, toothbrushes and toothpaste, feminine hygiene products and food.

BREEZY POINT
    Virginia's House of Hope is non-perishable foods, toiletries, diapers, clothing and clean-up supplies to people impacted by the disaster.
    202-30 Rockaway Point Boulevard Breezy Point, Queens 11697

BROOKLYN
    Volunteers are needed at both the Park Slope Armory (8th Avenue between 14th and 15th streets) and John Jay High School (7th Avenue between 4th and 5th streets). Park Slope Armory is an emergency shelter in need of volunteers and donations. In particular, they need overnight volunteers and donations of men's and women's clothing, sizes L, XL, XXL.

Volunteers who can access Brighton Beach: the Shorefront JCC has become a center for recovery efforts for Jewish communities in the area. Call 718-743-0575.

Brighton Beach JASA is looking for able-bodied volunteers to carry food and supplies up 7+ flights of stairs to homebound seniors who’ve been trapped by the loss of elevator service. Email jstolar@jasa.org or call 212-991-6572

Prospect Park Meanwhile, in Park Slope, Congregation Beth Elohim is running a huge volunteer drive that will continue for days to come. You can sign up here to donate, help make food, or run meals to Red Hook. Folks in Park Slope can also donate goods at Postmark Cafe on 326 6th St. They will be accepting sugar, flour, 100% juice, canned fruit and veggies, canned tuna and chicken, soup, pasta sauce, rice, beans, boxed milk with a shelf life, cereal, oatmeal, coffee, and tea from 7am to 7pm (Saturday at 8am).

-Folks in Park Slope can also donate goods at Postmark Cafe on 326 6th St. They will be accepting sugar, flour, 100% juice, canned fruit and veggies, canned tuna and chicken, soup, pasta sauce, rice, beans, boxed milk with a shelf life, cereal, oatmeal, coffee, and tea from 7am to 7pm (Saturday at 8am).

Sheepshead Bay State Senate Candidate Andrew Gounardes & Councilman Vincent Gentile have helped organize a children’s drive. Drop off all gently used toys, books and children’s clothing to either 7321 15th Avenue in Dyker Heights, or 351 87th Street in Bay Ridge. Goods will be given to children in Gerritsen beach et al who have lost everything.

Bedford-Stuyvesant Freebrook Academy (375 Stuyvesant Ave. at Decatur St.) is accepting donations. Their drive goes until Monday, Nov. 5 at 3pm.

Fort Greene Brooklyn Technical High School is looking for volunteers to help prepare and serve meals. They are also accepting donations of money and bagging clothing.

Garfield Temple (8th ave and garfield) is cooking up meals for many nabes in brooklyn. They are looking for help tomorrow morning at 9 to cook breakfast. We were there today and it is a well organized effort cooking up 800 meals.

Generation Gap 2904 Neptune Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (71 975-0447 ‎ Needs volunteers to clean senior citizens’ private homes provide transportation to get senior citizens to voting polls on Tuesday, November 6th

Galapagos Art Space (16 Main St at Water St, Dumbo, Brooklyn) is looking for volunteers to help clean up its Dumbo venue today, beginning around 11am—they're hoping to reopen this weekend, and will need people to help with general cleaning projects.

Clean Up Sheepshead Bay has posted several volunteer opportunities in the South Brooklyn neighborhood, including clean-up efforts on Saturday and initiatives to distribute food to those in need in the community.

Coney Island needs help cleaning up its flooded headquarters; if you're experienced with flood clean-up, they need assistance, but you can also donate cash.

NEW JERSEY
    In partnership with Mayor Zimmer and the The City of Hoboken, Party with Purpose, the Rotary Club of Hoboken along with many other local organizations and charities, we've established the Rebuild Hoboken Relief Fund. The donations made to the Fund will be used to provide immediate assistance, in addition to long term support to damages resulting from Hurricane Sandy.

The Hoboken Sandy Maps are public collaborative maps compiling Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and other reports of the post-Sandy situation in Hoboken, NJ.

NJ Tech Meetup have come together to launch Heal Hoboken to help Hoboken bounce back from Hurricane Sandy.

Volunteers needed at 106 Sussex Avenue in Newark to deliver supplies to homebound families.

Community Food Bank of NJ is seeking food donations - call 908.355.3663 or visit the website to find out how and where to give.

Jersey Cares is coordinating volunteers with opportunities near them. Sherry Fazio, with NJ Cares, says the most important thing to do is register with their website to help in the coming weeks as projects look for help. If her family is any indication, she expects water, blankets and non-perishable food will be items requested in the days to come.

An emergency response hotline: 1-800-JERSEY-7 (1-800-537-7397) - they're looking for trained volunteers who are affiliated with an emergency response organization to volunteer their services. Gov. Chris Christie's office says the hotline is getting an overwhelming response, so another number to try is 609-218-0460.

LOWER EAST SIDE
    GOLES is running low on supplies. Please bring: Diapers, Baby Items, baby foods, Batteries, Flashlights & candles, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Bottled Water, Fruit n vegetables, Sliced Bread, Feminine hygiene products and Blankets to 6th Street Community Center (638 East 6th st. Between Avenue B and C) before 5pm please.

The Bowery Mission is accepting donations for the homeless at both locations.
    Location 1 The Bowery Mission 45-51 Ave D 212-777-3424 contact: Claude Nelson or any “operations manager” on duty. they’re open 24/7 and in need of prepared foods, a generator and anything else you can offer.
    Location 2 (open 11/1 3pm-6pm and 11/2 12pm-6pm) Goles 169 Ave. B btwn 10th and 11th
    Volunteers should report only to the Bowery Street location.

Lower East Side Recovers is connecting volunteers and givers in the area.

UPPER WEST SIDE
    Monday 11/5, 8:30-11am. Bring donations to Redeemer West Side (150 West 83rd Street between Amsterdam and Columbus). Specific needs include nonperishable food items, water, blankets, large sized sweatshirts, coats and jeans, as well as premade sandwiches. If you have a car (with gas!) and are available to help transport collected items downtown at 11am Monday, please email westside@redeemer.com

UPPER EAST SIDE
    Saloon NYC is accepting donations to the Rockaways and Broad Channel. Supplies and food (no clothing, please) dropped off there will be delivered to St. Francis des Sales church in Belle Harbor, NY. 1584 York Avenue, New York, NY 10028 (Between 83rd & 84th St) 212.570.5454

QUEENS
    Build it Green needs volunteers to help clean up its Gowanus warehouse (69 9th St between Second Ave and Smith St, Gowanus, Brooklyn), which flooded during Hurricane Sandy. They'll be working from 10am to 4pm on Saturday and Sunday (Nov 3 and 4); Check their Facebook page for details.

Astoria Recovers is connecting volunteers and givers in the area.

BRONX
    The Bronx River Alliance needs volunteers on November 10 to replant trees in the borough. Contact Joseph Sanchez at joseph.sanchez@parks.nyc.gov or 718-430-4636.

LONG ISLAND
    The Long Island Volunteer Center is registering volunteers.

The Town of Oyster Bay is holding a clothing drive that continues until 5pm on Sunday. Donations can be brought to three locations: Marjorie R. Post Community Park, Syosset-Woodbury Community Park, and Oyster Bay Community Center.

WESTCHESTER
    Food Bank for Westchester is accepting donations of food to help area residents without power. Check the website for a detailed list.
    Jimi Hendrix

Disinterested

Tony and Scott,

Since you two seem to be the closest to the devastation among us and continue to actively post on the thread with updates, please tell us where you believe our donations would be most effective and where to send them.

Along these lines, I am assuming that even postal and UPS deliveries are having a hard time getting through, so please take this into account as you make your suggestions.

My mom and dad brought some clothes and toiletries over this morning and Tina and I are cleaning out closets and will likely make a run to Sam's and the Dollar Store. I'd just like to send things to the most applicable and distressed locations. It pains me, but I can't cover all of them, so I'd like to pinpoint one, maybe two places. Since it now seems the Red Cross may not be funneling all my donations directly to Sandy victims, I'd like to be more specific with the next wave.

Thanks!

Don,

My folks live two towns over from LbI which got slammed. They are there today and will be donating their time, money and other items as often as they can. I am sure they will accept packages from brothers and sisters here although, unlike the Red Cross, cannot give receipts, etc. ( not that anyone is asking). If they don't mind accepting some things and driving them to LBI or seaside (15 minutes away), I can pm an addy.

Damn Dom the whole coast is pretty beat up i think far Rockaway and Breezy point are the worst hit.
    You can send supplies to the addresses listed on my post.
    Also you have my address if you like put together what you would like to send.
    Send it to me i will distribute it where i think it will do the most good no middle men no politics no commission.
    I will be in back and forth between upstate and Brooklyn for at least the next two weeks.
    I would send it to my upstate address and i will drive it down as you said the mail is pretty messed up in these hard hit areas.
    GOD BLESS all that help!
    Jimi Hendrix

Targets locked on... Phil from Chicago's Avatar

Odds are I'm leaving to go out there as a relief worker soon.. They need help for sure

HESS STATION CONEY ISLAND BROOKLYN NEW YORK!

Jimi Hendrix

It seems like gasoline is still a big issue - not that the supply isn't there, but that there is such a huge demand for it. There are parts of Long Island that won't regain power until probably Thanksgiving. Those lucky enough to own generators are managing to get by, but those who don't have been relying on their vehicles to charge electronics/get some warmth for a few minutes. With gas in such high demand they've been forced to ration what they have, or risk running out while sitting in the gas station lines. I have now started to see gas showing up on craigslist for $25 a gallon!
    Thankfully I retained power throughout the storm, as did my girlfriend. I knew a ton of people working in the city who didn't want to return to their homes without power/heat (especially those living in 30+ story high rises with no elevators), so I have been lending my place out to them and staying with my girlfriend, so they could at least take a hot shower and charge phones,etc.
    Now that Manhattan is just about back up to speed I will be traveling to the other boroughs/NJ to help with the cleanup.
    I have seen such a great response to help after the storm, thank you to all who did - it truly shines on the persevering human spirit.

Disinterested

And, "just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water"...

NOREASTER!!!

The misery being heaped upon our fellow Americans up there simply defies reason. Keep the relief efforts flowing!

LIPA just made a promise to bring power to everyone by Wed. LOL
    BS

Once I DO get power I can't even find a boiler
    Veni Vidi Vici

Disinterested

This is not a shameless bump, guys. Let's not allow our attention to circumstances up there wane. The media are always looking for fresh blood in the water and I guess the dire needs of our fellow Americans in the north east have taken a back seat to General Petraeus' vicissitude. Of course, openly lying to the public about malfeasance in a murder is not small potatoes, but the needs of our brothers and sisters are far more pressing.

Please keep the help, thoughts, donations, prayers and any other assistance you can muster, flowing their way. My best guess is that it will be a good six months before anything begins to normalize up there. Until then, we are our brothers' keepers.

Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4