Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Returning to work part-time on Monday

This is a discussion on Returning to work part-time on Monday within the Thoughts and Prayers forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I was hospitalized October 15 for a Severe Depressive Episode. My stay was just over a week long and I ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes ch3rrytw1st's Avatar

Returning to work part-time on Monday

I was hospitalized October 15 for a Severe Depressive Episode. My stay was just over a week long and I have followed up with counseling since with my Psychiatrist. I return to work as recommended by my doctor on Tuesday, November 5. It will be half-time (4 hr days, 5 days/wk).

The hospital stay was good for me as I was able to get some help and some issues sorted, most importantly, the doctors made some changes to my medication. I was feeling hopeless when I entered the hospital via the emergency room and felt like "a fog" had been lifted after 4-5 days of taking new medication. I continue to improve though I still have my bad days. My wife has been supportive through the ordeal though it's been tough on her.

At any rate, I have had Mental Illness since I was 14 (I'm now 41) and was misdiagnosed several times throughout my life until about 5 years ago when I was diagnosed with Bipolar I. It put a lot of pieces of the puzzle together so to speak. I haven't been hospitalized (for this at least) since.

Bipolar is a misunderstood illness and there is still a stigma attached to it. I told my new boss about my illness about two weeks prior to hospitalization. He seems to be understanding and is willing to work with me as I continue to improve. I hope to return to full time work within two weeks if everything goes well. Idle hands...etc.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far as I tend to ramble.

I'm watching you.

Re: Returning to work part-time on Monday

No ramble at all John. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm so glad you reached out to get some help and you are feeling better and have even more tools to help you figure out your new normal.

My prayers are with you and your wife this week as you dive back into the work world.
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

My step son is Bipolar a terrible affliction. Hang in there May GOD be with you!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Thanks for the support, much appreciated. Still nervous. Though I have a ridiculously easily job most times, there are times when it gets complicated and I obsess about those experiences too often. I try my best to live moment to moment, that works best.

Good Job John sounds like you've come a long way to try to enrich your life while trying to deal with this illness. I wish you the best, and yeah take it from moment to moment bro. Remember the work days are short make each one a goal. We support you here hang tight. I bet the meds change will help just give it time. Good Luck

Good job and good luck bro
    Veni Vidi Vici

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I completly understand. my FIL is BP and he has managed it for the last 10 years. I pray for your safe journey through this.

Thanks for sharing brother. my thoughts and prayers are with you, You will find this a great supportive community.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Thankful you're under medical care for it John. I'll admit to not knowing much about it but enough to know it's not pretty when left untreated. Prayers my friend.
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Congratulations on getting back to work. One day at a time is best...
    “ I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. ”— Kenneth Clark

Home Brewin' Herfer doomXsaloon's Avatar

keep at it, Bro....You always have all of us fellow BOTLs here anytime!
    "Any cigar smoker is a friend, because I know how he feels." --Alfred de Musset

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers. There are bigger things in the world than this, but it's nice to know that I've got support when I need someplace to turn.

FYI this week ran along smoothly until this morning when I freaked out about a simple task my boss asked me about. I called my wife and she talked me down. The rest of the day I've been fine, catching up on my rest. Eating a good meal as well. Trying to keep it simple.

One more day and my first week is out of the way