Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

3+ years ago my life was nearly takenm, one of the attackers is being sentenced

This is a discussion on 3+ years ago my life was nearly takenm, one of the attackers is being sentenced within the Thoughts and Prayers forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Tomorrow* Long story short, I lived in the city, in a community with a lot of youth and some bad ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes ch3rrytw1st's Avatar

3+ years ago my life was nearly takenm, one of the attackers is being sentenced

Tomorrow*

Long story short, I lived in the city, in a community with a lot of youth and some bad elements. But that's the way just about every area is around here. Anyway, I was leaving my own garage (I was using as an art studio at the time) late at night and was jumped by two thugs. I could see, 50ft away, a young male on my porch leaving my aparment. My first reaction was to scream at him as loud as I could and I feared for my wife's safety. So far as I knew, she was inside sleeping (she was).

Next thing I knew, I felt a hard object (a brick) hit my head and as I fell to the ground I lost consciousness. Two people had me faced towards the garage and continued to kick and stomp me while my neighbor, who happened to be smoking a cigarette on the 2nd floor, watched in horror. He yelled at them while his wife called the cops. Turns out her brother was a city cop near our district. They arrived in under a minute (I'm told). I regained consciousness after a couple of minutes, was able to find my glasses and stumble my way to my apartment, my head was gushing blood. They had hit an artery. This was exacerbated by the fact that I was (and am still) on blood thinners. I grabbed a towel and cleaned myself up a bit before waking my wife. She'd slept through the entire debacle.

They caught one of the 5 suspects. Two were robbing our apartment, one was a lookout, and two were waiting, in case I came out of the garage. Wrong place, wrong time type of thing. Not to mention they were robbing my freakin' residence. Turns out the suspect they apprehended had priors and his DNA sample (from one of the bricks, each had struck me in the head) turned up hits on other cases, one including an attempt to murder someone with a ranged deadly weapon. He will be sentenced with all the charges tomorrow. I learned of this today and I'm trying not to freak out about it but there's no way I'm going to the sentencing. I think my testimony would be helpful. I can fax a statement if I wish. Advice?

I hate to post in this thread after the atrocities that occur (including the recent massacre in the NE region, I've avoided watching news because the details are too much for me to bear.) However, I needed an outlet and I trust the Puff family right now.

Thanks,

John

I'm watching you.

Re: 3+ years ago my life was nearly takenm, one of the attackers is being sentenced

*hugs* for you John. What an ordeal! It sounds like you're recovering well, and I hope physically everything is going well for you, too.

My only piece of advice is to do what you won't regret. Getting to face your attacker may be difficult, but it may give you some closure. Whether that be by fax or in person, it may just serve to close the book on this whole situation for you.

Thank you for sharing this part of your life with the community. Whatever you choose to do, I hope it gives you a sense of peace.
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: 3+ years ago my life was nearly takenm, one of the attackers is being sentenced

Glad to hear you are okay my thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife!
    Have you thought about a handgun for personal defense?
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Tony, I'll be frank. I'm not stable to own a gun and my wife would not have it.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Fortunately, 23 stitches and a concussion that lasted about 4 weeks and I was symptom free after that (not the mention the number of bruises) was the only damage done. I was lucky they didn't get me from the other side, I could be dead (lungs, heart problems).

I agree that at least a letter, whether I send it or not, would be therapeutic. Hell, I have the opportunity, all it takes is a freakin trip to Kinko's and I can fax it. This is probably the route I will choose.

The D.A. should have had you registered with the victims and witness program. You also should also have had the opportunity to write a victim impact statement. The judge would get a chance to read it, and consider the emotional impact on you, and your families' life, when sentencing. Possibly, since apparently you were never called as a State's Witness, some of these resources were not available. But if you have an opportunity to fax the impact statement, do so. Tell the judge how this violent crime has affected your life. It may help with some closure. And he will read it (to himself) before sentencing.

And nice job John. I was fortunate and not injured. God Bless you and your slow recovery. Time should heal most wounds, you will see.
    Last edited by Bondo 440; 12-19-2012 at 07:22 PM.
    Kitty Litter Convert #KL1245

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Yes John i agree with Bondo there are ways of saying your piece without you being there!
    GOD BLESS peace my brother!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

MWM's King of Funk Brettanomyces's Avatar

I don't know what else I can add to help, John, on a practical note. The advice above seems on target, and I'll only add my wish that you find a way to heal all the scars from this event. Good luck, buddy. You're helping to make sure this lowlife doesn't hurt anyone else in the future.

I have been in touch with victim services and I haven't utilized their services as I haven't felt a need to. I do believe that I will write a letter and fax it in the morning. I was told I could so tomorrow morning and the judge would receive it at the sentencing.

Thanks for the advice again, guys.

Full grown Puffer Fish TopsiderLXI's Avatar

Wow. Thats terrible but glad you're okay. Those thugs should be taught a hard lesson.
    Here, have a cigar. Light it up and be somebody.

UPDATE: He was sentenced to 37 years for the crimes against me, 42 years combined for the others. That's...a whole lotta years together!

He'll likely be in jail the rest of his life. Maybe out early for good year, but he was 23 at the time of the incident (26 now). Damn I suck at math.

I feel so relieved. I didn't fax a letter. It was just too painful. I figured the pics we submitted evidence were more than enough.

glad to hear the scumbag is put away for a good long while! also glad you recovered... what a terrible thing to have to endure.

I would encourage you to at a minimum write a victim impact statement. It will help you with closure, and also provide a perspective on exactly how badly this mutt impacted your life. I was a police officer for 27 years when I was struck by a drunk driver while I was outside my vehicle. I suffered career ending serious injuries requiring multiple surgeries and lots of time in the hospital.

I attended the sentencing of the guy who hit me because I wanted him to see the impact he had on me and more importantly my family. I was still using a walker to get around and my wife and children stood by my side as I got to look the drunk in the eye and and explain to him exactly what he took from us. I doubt it affected him as much as I would have hoped, but I was given great latitude by the court and even got to yell at him for crying like a little baby. I would not let him off the hook or allow him to try and evoke sympathy by shedding fake tears. Even if he felt bad, this was my turn to really drive home the fact that his stupidity impacted more than just his sorry self.

For years I was the cop encouraging victims to come forward and make these statements. This time I was the victim and although it was difficult, it was also very liberating to have my say.
    “A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores". - Maxwell Q. Klinger - Mash 4077

First of all, I want to thank you for replying to my post. My father-in-law is a retired Detective. I want you to know that though it's "en vogue" to discredit or even insult your the police, I have always respected and upheld the law. The experience I have had with police officers throughout my 41 years has been very positive, including the detective that was lead on my case.

Your post did make me question my motive for not writing a statement. I believe that it's just easier for me, frankly. I will need to do a bit of soul searching before making a decision, but I know that this scumbag will be in prison for a long time. It comforts me that I have a long time to make this decision.

Thanks again for your duty and your post (in that order). I hope you are doing well. Happy holidays and have a great New Year.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Marcm15 View Post
    I would encourage you to at a minimum write a victim impact statement. It will help you with closure, and also provide a perspective on exactly how badly this mutt impacted your life. I was a police officer for 27 years when I was struck by a drunk driver while I was outside my vehicle. I suffered career ending serious injuries requiring multiple surgeries and lots of time in the hospital.

I attended the sentencing of the guy who hit me because I wanted him to see the impact he had on me and more importantly my family. I was still using a walker to get around and my wife and children stood by my side as I got to look the drunk in the eye and and explain to him exactly what he took from us. I doubt it affected him as much as I would have hoped, but I was given great latitude by the court and even got to yell at him for crying like a little baby. I would not let him off the hook or allow him to try and evoke sympathy by shedding fake tears. Even if he felt bad, this was my turn to really drive home the fact that his stupidity impacted more than just his sorry self.

For years I was the cop encouraging victims to come forward and make these statements. This time I was the victim and although it was difficult, it was also very liberating to have my say.

Puffer Fish with some spikes IslanderWay's Avatar

John,

Right now you are going through a very hard time. Your in my prayers!

Glad your alright though

-Joe

Puffer Fish with some spikes Simon.G's Avatar

Unbelievable story. Thank God you are alive to tell this horrible experience. Really hope things pick up for you. But yeah, thank God you're still with us.
    Regards,
    Simon