Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Just when I though things were getting better

This is a discussion on Just when I though things were getting better within the Thoughts and Prayers forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Well last year was a hell of a year, my wife had some medical issues and has been off work ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes johnb's Avatar

Just when I though things were getting better

Well last year was a hell of a year, my wife had some medical issues and has been off work for over 4 months and just an bunch of BS with life in general and work early last year, Well I started with a new company in March. All was well, work was booming we ended up buying a new house over Christmas and I really thought things were getting better when I found out the company i work for is going bankrupt. I might have a job for another week. This isn't very common for a $250 million a year construction company. My wife and I have been planning our Hawaii trip for 8 months and tickets are booked but now I have to cancel so I can find a new job. Anyways I am sure worse things have happened to better people but I could use some positive thoughts.
    Thanks guys

Re: Just when I though things were getting better

Sending Prayers brother. Bankruptcy isn't always the end hopefuly it all works out.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

A whole bundle of positron charged thoughts being sent your way John.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Well dang, how frustrating must that be for you?! Yoiks even!
    I too am sending you my best thoughts and wishes for a great new opportunity for you John.

In the meantime I hope you can manage to keep your peace and joy as you continue this ever challenging dance that is life.
    Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

Wow. Hope something new turns up quick for you, John.
    ********.com

Puffer Fish with many spikes johnb's Avatar

thank you very much guys, it means a lot.. I have a few job prospects right now, we will see what develops on monday. From what I hear our company has laid off around 50 people in the past few days and despite what head office is saying the rumour is the hammer is coming down on us next week. The unfortunate part is none of us are from here, our company flys us up to these jobs. Well from the sounds of it the travel bedget is running dry, thankfully I have my ticket booked anyways due to my previously scheduled vacation time, but the same cannot be said for my co-workers.

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

Sucks to hear John, I have been in your boots, something will turn up.

There was chatter of some of our local guys going to Canada for some huge projects because things are so slow here...are the projects shutting down or just the contractor you work for?

Puffer Fish with many spikes RayJax's Avatar

Very sorry to hear about the job loss.

Thoughts and prayers sent you way for things to turn around and have a positve search for a new job!

I know with some of my clients who went bankrupt it didn't necessarily mean losing their jobs and most are still there now for years. Maybe there's hope there? If not if sure u'll find something else in no time.
    Veni Vidi Vici

Puffer Fish with some spikes IslanderWay's Avatar

John things will work out, I will keep you in my prayers.

Prayers sent with hopes that the closing of this door will result in the opening of a better!
    Wrap Your Ass in Fiberglass
    Drive a VETTE

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Well last year was a hell of a year...but I could use some positive thoughts.
    Thanks guys
    Will keep you in my prayers, also. Keep up your positive attitude as that is your best asset. Trust me, it well get better; it can get worse before, but y'all will get through! I am speaking from experience as I've been there and back a few times over the last decade.

At age 41, I was on track to acheive my goal to retire early at age 50 at which time I was going to start a new career in teaching (since I could afford to). However, at age 43 I was "cut down in my prime" just as I was entering the peak of my career. With a total comp of $160K, with a promotion due by year's end that would have doubled my salary, I was on the fast track to double or triple in 2-3 years. My company had major RiF's for three years, and the day after my doc put me on LT disabliity I was RiF'd.

I spent 6 years as a persistent 911 and confined to bed most of the time. After finally stabilizing and improving to were I was walking and talking again for about a year, I was hit by a red-light runner and narrowly survived. The accident has left me totally homebound. Prognosis is very guarded, as a slip and fall can leave me permanately paralyzed. However, after 1.5 years the partial quadraplegia has improved so now I have fairly good use of all limbs and have just started getting out on occasion again!

Initially, it took seven years, but the medical bankrupted me and now I have to live on social security. As I had the good fiscal management and divine inspiration to pay off my home early while working, I do not want for anything now in spite of my fixed income.

There is hope, so keep hanging on to it!

Quote Originally Posted by TTecheTTe View Post
    I do not want for anything now in spite of my fixed income.

There is hope, so keep hanging on to it!
    This! I am in a similar situation, but I don't have a family (wife/kids) to worry about so I can't understand that stress. I Had a decent job, it went away and now I scrape by while trying to finish school on a pretty tight budget and I hope to be able to find something decent again in the future. There have been other pitfalls in there for me too, but each time I come out with some new perspective. I think that is probably the best way to look at it. I wish you the best in your situation and future outcomes, but when negatives hit you, use it to ground yourself, connect with your family, figure out some deeper life lesson which can have value too. I'm learning a lot about myself and how to enjoy things without spending a lot of money, and it sounds like you are pretty handy so you can work on projects and fix/make your own things and save that way. It is nice to have material things, and it sucks to have to lose them (been there...). But it can be a good lesson to find yourself and be prepared in case it happens again (or if it doesn't happen, think about preparing in case it does since there isn't an update from you as of late).

I think the worst thing is to fall into a hole and lose the connection with your wife and kids if you have them. That is what my parents did when money was a problem and they split up. As long as you stay positive and keep your family closer to you through this then you will figure something out. Use this experience to reflect on and talk to your children about later in their life. My grandfather did that with me and I wish he was still hear because I loved to listen to him mentor me. There can be good that comes from this depending on how you can hold up and use the situation to better yourself.

I agree with Mari, I haven't had a lot of money in my life, but the times I had more of it I didn't feel any better than I do now. I actually feel pretty good right now. This is the first time I got dealt a hard hit and finally feel I don't need a lot of the things I thought I did (I sold a lot of items after my last job loss). I still enjoy things living cheaply, maybe that is what I had to finally learn from some higher power testing me if you believe in that kind of thing. I will pray and hope you are not struggling for daily necessities, but as long as you can maintain that and not lose connection with your family you can pull out something worthwhile from the experience. A lot of people go through struggles, and it is overcoming the trials that make us who we are and better for it!

So I will be hoping and praying for you to not only find a better job and have better health in your family, but to come out the other end of this a better person for going through it all! It might suck now, but I know teaching the lessons you are learning now about yourself will be cherished by your children and grandchildren. That is what I think about at times like this and it makes me feel better, cause I am going to have A LOT of life lessons to talk about someday, lol.

Don't stress out too much, we're all here pulling for you! (I'm Kevin, nice to meet you by the way. Mari linked your thread on a post of mine since we all kind of brought up issues and are talking about daily struggles.)