Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I Miss you Daddy!!

This is a discussion on I Miss you Daddy!! within the Thoughts and Prayers forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Today makes one year since my Dad passed for me. I say for me because I was with him at ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes brimy623's Avatar

I Miss you Daddy!!

Today makes one year since my Dad passed for me.
    I say for me because I was with him at the diagnostic center when his heart failed.
    The paramedics were able to revive him and get him on life support, but he wound up being brain dead when we arrived at the hospital.
    He always said that he didn't want to be kept alive by artificial means. So after the the doctors ran all of the test to determine his physical status we were given the option to leave him on or "pull the plug".
    We left him on the life support until February 8th in order to get my daughter home from college in California (he was taking her to school when he had the stroke 9 years ago and at 9 years old she got someone to call for an ambulance) and my nephew from Maryland so that they could say goodbye.
    He had been in declining health after suffering a stroke almost 9 years to the day, february 4, 2004.
    My Dad's situation always brought the saying "once a man, twice a child" to mind because at times he needed to be care for as if he were a child again.
    I was at every doctors appointment and every procedure that needed to be done in the nine years that passed.
    I was very lucky to have him as a Dad!
    I learned to appreciate jazz hanging out with him as a kid. I admired his passion for sports (he was the type to holler at the TV when his teams were losing). He was passionate about politics. He was passionate about education. He was passionate about his family!
    It was like I could do no wrong in his eyes! He was there for me in every way possible as they raised me from a boy into a man. He would always say "we may be friendly, but we're not friends, I'm your father"! But he was my BEST FRIEND!
    I can't stop the tears!! And I'm not even going to try (until I pick up my kids from school).

Later I will enjoy a God of Fire Carlito in his memory. Maybe I'll burn a bowl of Pete Stokeby, he was a pipe smoker.

Berton Culbertson Buchanan, I love you and miss you so bad!
    I'm sure that you are watching over us from a better place & at peace.

Last edited by brimy623; 02-06-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail!!!

No longer a community member.

Re: I Miss you Daddy!!

Sorry to hear about this Brian, I can't even pretend to know what this feels like.

Closest person I ever lost was my Grandpa so I could only imagine what it must be like with a dad.

You will be in my thoughts Brian.

That was a great tribute Brian your father sounds like a good man. Here I sit in full uniform on a detail at a TV set and I'm tearing up like a little girl.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a good man.
    The best ones always seem to die young.

Full grown Puffer Fish Regiampiero's Avatar

Our hearts and prayers go to you brother, and to all of the people that loose a loved one too soon.

Thanks for sharing Brian.

You were lucky to have such a great dad and he too was lucky to have such a great son. My thoughts are with you.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Just1ce's Avatar

Great tribute to your Dad, Brian. I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my father last February 4th so I will remember you and your family in my prayers.

Very sorry for your loss Brian, I can't even begin to imagine.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

In memory of your dad Brian.

Full grown Puffer Fish 455 Punch's Avatar

Your father was a fine man whose legacy comes through clearly in you Brian.
    Life's too short to smoke bad cigars.

Thank you all for your prayers, condolences and otherwise kind words!

Yesterday was a rough day and unfortunately going to be so for the next few days.

I know that death is a part of life, but it's still not easy.

To all that have suffer the same type of loss, my heart goes out to you.

And again, thank you all.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail!!!

Thanks for sharing the photographs. I particularly like the one in uniform with the pipe It's wonderful that you have so many pleasant memories of your father to enjoy and share with your children. You're in my prayers while you walk through this temporary stage of pain.

null

Quote Originally Posted by brimy623 View Post
    Today makes one year
    sorry to hear it bro

this is the first day i ventured off the cigar forums so obvoiusly this jumped out at me...
    im right there with you, lost mine in 08 though, was a quick decline, cancer was @ stage 4 before it was even diagnoised.

it's rough, i wanna be that bullshit artist to say "it gets easier", well it does, but no time soon!!!!!
    it kills me to see all those people twice my age who still have parents (dad was 08, mom was 09! but that's another story) life is truly unfair.
    but it seems like myself you had a great father and have great memories, try to think of the good times, not what could've been.... the pain and despair does slowly dull eventually to some extent, and i've found thinking about the good times really really helps. fathers day is ALWAYS going to suck... and if mama is still around, cherish every moment possible...
    hang in there man....

@sullen
    Ironic that you would respond today!!
    Today makes one year that Dad was buried and although I am trying, it's hard to get going!
    I went out & shoveled but haven't had the desire to go out & do anything else.
    Trying to pull it together & go spend time with the rest of the family, but it's hard.
    I've been ok so far in trying to keep Mommy going. Been able to keep my emotions in check around her.
    Thanks for the kind words. And remembering the good times does help, but hurts at the same time.

null

yea its really hard at a year man, hang in there, time heals, try to relax as much as possible...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast