Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

This is a discussion on What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People? within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Attachment 74876...

Off to Cigar bum. com jhedrick83's Avatar

Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by jhedrick83 View Post
    This because I mostly smoke at my own place or where people are already smoking.
    Every hand is a winner and every hand is a loser.

Alpha Puffer Fish Damselnotindistress's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    Confusion is a great weapon when dealing with self important zealots.

I had a rep come into my shop & "tune" me for smoking in the workplace. I'm not going in to the whole conversation again but needless to say the company he reps for no longer has anything to offer my business. True story & I think along the same lines as you. I'm not overtly aggressive until somebody feels entitled enough to enforce THEIR beliefs on me, in my own space no less, then I end up in this mood.>>>>>>>

Gooooooo, WARREN!!!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill everytime

Full grown Puffer Fish SystemError's Avatar

Cigar smoking is not a habit, it is a way of life.

That is what I tell my nosey ass weenie neighbor when he says I need to quit.

Not Here

Just give them a very innocent look and say "What about the children?". Then if they ask you can xplain to them all about SCHIP and how every cigar you smoke is helping a the children in the country. This is when you gain the "moral high ground" on them. I mean, are they not really concerned about the children?
    BIA!!!

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Back in early January I was enjoying a pipe on my front porch on a nice sunny day off from work.

A little neighbor kid that was walking down the street came right up in my yard and started in on lecturing me on the evils of smoking. He was young, maybe six or seven. I told him, "Ok, ok. I hear you." And I set my pipe down, but he continued harassing me and getting abusive... calling me stupid and other choice words. I'd had enough at this point and asked him to get off of my property. He kept on, and I then ORDERED him off my property to no avail. He kept on telling me how bad and how stupid I was.

So I pulled my cell phone out and called the police. I told them I had a neighbor harassing me and how he wouldn't leave. The kids eyes got HUGE and he ran home. Then his door opens and a grossly obese lady starts yelling at me from down the street. She walks down the street, cursing at me the whole way, and enters my yard. She has a cigarette she is smoking. I tell her her kid was harassing me about smoking, and wouldn't leave my yard. She starts screaming at me and saying I better not touch her or her kid. I'm ordering her off my property again as a cop car pulls into my drive.

I tell the Officers this "lady" and her kid are harassing me and they won't leave. One Officer tries to calm down the screaming "lady" while the other cop points his finger at me tells me to shut the **** up 'cause he's still trying to figure out what I did to upset her. Then Kat's hounddog had enough and he comes around the corner on his cable and the cop that cussed me out draws his gun and points it at Maverick. Maverick's cable won't let him get to the cop, but the cop fixed that problem buy slowly advancing on the hounddog.

I dial 911 knowing it will go to the state police and I leave the phone on and in my shirt pocket. I tell him he better not shoot a dog that is restrained. The calm officer tells the irate and troublesome cop to calm down and holster his pistol. He does.

Then we all hear sirens getting closer. The irate cop screams at me wanting to know what I did. I say I called yall 'cause this "lady" and her kid were harrasing me and wouldn't get off my property, then yall show up, cuss me out and treat me like a criminal, then threaten to shoot my dog while he is restrained... so I called 911.

Yall should have seen the look on his face. I though he was gonna have a heartattack or a stroke!

The State Troopers pull up in my drive. A few of them go talk to the cops away from everyone else, and I explain to a very professional and calm seargeant what happened. He asks me if I wanna press charges against the "lady", I tell him not if he can scare her and the boy so they leave me alone. He actually smiled and stifled a laugh. He walked the "lady" home and talked to her and the boy on their porch. I've seen neither hide, nor hair, of either since.

The other Troopers decide they are gonna follow the cops to their cop shop for more discussion. They ask me to come down too. I step close to the irate cop and in a soft voice, just for him to hear, tell him the next time I see him I'm gonna be polite and respectful, and I ask him if he can do the same. He gave me a hard look, but told me he would be polite and calm. I believed him. I told the Troopers I had no further problems and would like to be left alone to smoke in peace. They all left.

When I saw the local police a few days later everyone acted like nothing happened and they were nice.

Sooo... I guess I have no idea what to say to tobacco nazis...

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    Back in early January I was enjoying a pipe on my front porch on a nice sunny day off from work.

A little neighbor kid that was walking down the street came right up in my yard and started in on lecturing me on the evils of smoking. He was young, maybe six or seven. I told him, "Ok, ok. I hear you." And I set my pipe down, but he continued harassing me and getting abusive... calling me stupid and other choice words. I'd had enough at this point and asked him to get off of my property. He kept on, and I then ORDERED him off my property to no avail. He kept on telling me how bad and how stupid I was.

So I pulled my cell phone out and called the police. I told them I had a neighbor harassing me and how he wouldn't leave. The kids eyes got HUGE and he ran home. Then his door opens and a grossly obese lady starts yelling at me from down the street. She walks down the street, cursing at me the whole way, and enters my yard. She has a cigarette she is smoking. I tell her her kid was harassing me about smoking, and wouldn't leave my yard. She starts screaming at me and saying I better not touch her or her kid. I'm ordering her off my property again as a cop car pulls into my drive.

I tell the Officers this "lady" and her kid are harassing me and they won't leave. One Officer tries to calm down the screaming "lady" while the other cop points his finger at me tells me to shut the **** up 'cause he's still trying to figure out what I did to upset her. Then Kat's hounddog had enough and he comes around the corner on his cable and the cop that cussed me out draws his gun and points it at Maverick. Maverick's cable won't let him get to the cop, but the cop fixed that problem buy slowly advancing on the hounddog.

I dial 911 knowing it will go to the state police and I leave the phone on and in my shirt pocket. I tell him he better not shoot a dog that is restrained. The calm officer tells the irate and troublesome cop to calm down and holster his pistol. He does.

Then we all hear sirens getting closer. The irate cop screams at me wanting to know what I did. I say I called yall 'cause this "lady" and her kid were harrasing me and wouldn't get off my property, then yall show up, cuss me out and treat me like a criminal, then threaten to shoot my dog while he is restrained... so I called 911.

Yall should have seen the look on his face. I though he was gonna have a heartattack or a stroke!

The State Troopers pull up in my drive. A few of them go talk to the cops away from everyone else, and I explain to a very professional and calm seargeant what happened. He asks me if I wanna press charges against the "lady", I tell him not if he can scare her and the boy so they leave me alone. He actually smiled and stifled a laugh. He walked the "lady" home and talked to her and the boy on their porch. I've seen neither hide, nor hair, of either since.

The other Troopers decide they are gonna follow the cops to their cop shop for more discussion. They ask me to come down too. I step close to the irate cop and in a soft voice, just for him to hear, tell him the next time I see him I'm gonna be polite and respectful, and I ask him if he can do the same. He gave me a hard look, but told me he would be polite and calm. I believed him. I told the Troopers I had no further problems and would like to be left alone to smoke in peace. They all left.

When I saw the local police a few days later everyone acted like nothing happened and they were nice.

Sooo... I guess I have no idea what to say to tobacco nazis...
    You were well withing your rights to just have shot them down for trespassing. Luckily the pipe/cigar smoking lifestyle has molded you into a Calm, Well Mannered and Respectable Gentleman. Time for another bowl brother.
    Every hand is a winner and every hand is a loser.

Alpha Puffer Fish Damselnotindistress's Avatar

Whhooooaaaa, Mark...! What a thing to happen...and pipes are NICE! I'm glad things worked out alright for you. It's because of my uncle's pipe that he would be enjoying when he came over our house when I was still in my single digit years that I became enthralled with tobacco in the first place! I started out trying a pipe at first - but I couldn't really get into it - only experienced tongue bite. Then I gravitated to cigars and have been there ever since. You're a better on than me. I'm definitely what I consider a well-adjusted human being...but if that had been me - with some snot-nosed brat pulling what he pulled with you; I don't like disrespectful small fries.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill everytime

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by LLave View Post
    Just as the title says, what do you tell the anti-cigar folk to defend you hobby? I am new to cigars and as such new to defending cigars. It is not that I feel overly compelled to defend my choices, but when someone who knows little to nothing about cigars is going on and on about how disgusting and dangerous they are I just feel like its... slander. So, lets here your compelling, intelligent (or semi-intelligible, lets not be picky ) arguments.
    Is this before or after you beat them down? I believe that falls under the Neanderthal unintelligent category but hey it is what it is.. There are those who apologize before they beat someone up and those who apologize after

The bottom line is being a responsible person if you are blowing smoke towards a child downwind then ya you smoke where it is appropriate and not offending other people. If you are at an opera you don't smoke around some guy wearing a ten thousand dollar suit which is absorbing the smell which is going to be a pain to get out and that same guy shouldn't be in the smokers section if he doesn't want his suit to smell like that. If you are in the right and being responsible yet someone makes a fuss either report the individual to management or just ignore / refuse / leave. Common sense on both sides I believe can avoid confrontation and this whole debate...

I believe there is a article on cigar aficionado that describes the perfect way to handle this in a civil setting.
    Last edited by CarnivorousPelican; 02-03-2013 at 05:20 AM.

Removed per request

Quote Originally Posted by Damselnotindistress View Post
    I'm definitely what I consider a well-adjusted human being...but if that had been me - with some snot-nosed brat pulling what he pulled with you; I don't like disrespectful small fries.
    Agreed. I probably would have just turned the garden hose on him...

Just laugh at them and insult their manhood, especially if there are females around. Those types are usually pretty insecure...

Puffer Fish with some spikes fiatster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capttrips View Post
    Only had it happen once and my response was "then stop breathing." If someone comments on the health of cigar smoking I simply reply "I don't smoke cigarettes, don't drink alcohol, don't have sex, and don't take drugs except for those prescribed for the voices in my head. Take away eating and cigar smoking and I might as well die." The usually laugh and forget about cigars.
    "Then stop breathing". I love it.

Same here, or when I do smoke it's usually in a place with nobody around (exm: while fishing, in my garage, etc). I also don't like being bothered and would rather smoke in peace or with friends who do enjoy cigars
    Quote Originally Posted by pdisme View Post
    Not sure if my experiences are normal or not but I've been smoking about five years and this has never come up for me. I think the reason for that is I, obviously, want to enjoy my cigars, and to that end, I only smoke them in places where no one's likely to have a problem with it; this keeps me from being bothered and doesn't give anti-cigar folks any additional impetus. I tend to smoke at cigar b&m's, bars if they have an outside patio/tiki hut type seating area, etc.

Young Puffer Fish

At the moment it hasn't come up, I'm about a month new to it and I smoke in my backyard around my firepit. Though winter weather not so much. If I smoke away from home it's usually with other people or in a place like a bar where smoke is rampant

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast