Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 201

What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

This is a discussion on What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People? within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Here "puff this"...

  
  1. #166

    Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Steel Talon's Avatar


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    Here "puff this"
    Take your time...Don't live to fast..Troubles will come and they will pass..

  2. #167

    Young Puffer Fish Coyote404's Avatar


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    If they aren't into cigars I think its only polite to offer them something else to stick in their mouth

    Took me a second to catch that but....

  3. #168

    A Puffer not a Fighter Johnny Z's Avatar


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    "I do what I want."(gently), or "Will you shut up?" (slightly irratated)

  4. #169

    Crafty Puffer madbricky's Avatar


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    I make a point to offer one explaining how they taste much better than they smell. Gives me a chance to get right up close too.
    A little help is better than a lot of pity -Celtic Proverb
    Tweet me @mad_bricky FB http://www.facebook.com/mad.bricky

  5. #170

    The Lurker King Grimmalde's Avatar


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    Like so many fun things, the detrimental source of opinion seems to be PC related. So I enjoy appealing to those stringent rules of engagement and lob the grenade swiftly back.

    With the advent of SCHIP, I fawn a great amount of concern at their nosy ignorance and ask them, "Why do you hate chidren? (<---not a spelling error) ...and why are you not smoking... for the chidrens?"

    A PC feedback loop ensues and I begin to offer directions to the nearest B&M.
    ---"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."

  6. #171

    Young Puffer Fish


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmalde View Post
    Like so many fun things, the detrimental source of opinion seems to be PC related. So I enjoy appealing to those stringent rules of engagement and lob the grenade swiftly back.

    With the advent of SCHIP, I fawn a great amount of concern at their nosy ignorance and ask them, "Why do you hate chidren? (<---not a spelling error) ...and why are you not smoking... for the chidrens?"

    A PC feedback loop ensues and I begin to offer directions to the nearest B&M.
    I can't see this working ever... Even if they were drunk. I dont even understand it myself. As for what I'd do, I've actually tried to convert a few people towards cigars, but with so many concerned about the health issues or the fact they just don't feel comfortable trying it, and the fact I can't afford good ones very often.. it presents a problem. I got someone to try a Nub Connecticut but they hated it and won't try another one.

    As for those that are clearly judging you for it, I've never met them.

  7. #172

    The Lurker King Grimmalde's Avatar


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    It's not really meant to work. It's simply lobbing the grenade back. There is no need for it to be understood, only to confuse or perturb.

    I have no time for "Anti's" mainly because most of my passions have a corresponding group of devoted people that crusade against them.

    I guess you could say I am an Anti Anti. Live and let live, I say.
    ---"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."

  8. #173

    Puffer Fish with some spikes smknjoecool's Avatar


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    Quote Originally Posted by SpartanFan View Post
    I've actually tried to convert a few people towards cigars, but with so many concerned about the health issues or the fact they just don't feel comfortable
    That's why I just let people try cigars if they are curious or offer them one to be courteous. They are, after all, potentially harmful to your health. Hopefully, with moderation we will all live long and healthy lives.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmalde View Post
    It's not really meant to work. It's simply lobbing the grenade back. There is no need for it to be understood, only to confuse or perturb.

    I have no time for "Anti's" mainly because most of my passions have a corresponding group of devoted people that crusade against them.

    I guess you could say I am an Anti Anti. Live and let live, I say.
    I can't say that I run into many anti smokers that often here in Texas. Most people here have your attitude towards smoking.

  9. #174

    The Lurker King Grimmalde's Avatar


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    Quote Originally Posted by smknjoecool View Post
    I can't say that I run into many anti smokers that often here in Texas. Most people here have your attitude towards smoking.
    I don't when I'm out in West Texas visiting family. But, in the more metropolitan areas, nosiness is more prevalent, still pretty rare though.
    ---"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."

  10. #175

    Young Fish


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    There is two main reasons I smoke cigars:
    1. The entire process of the cigar hobby is very in depth and a much different experience from smoking any other types of tobacco products. You are able to use all of your senses while smoking a cigar which you really miss out on in smoking something like cigarettes for example.
    2. Another reason for myself personally is that I am able to take an hour or so out of my day and put reality aside for a second. For a person that suffers from severe anxiety taking time out to get my mind off things is a big deal, and I almost feel as if it relives stress. Many people don't think so but that is just my personal opinion.

    When it really comes down to it, no matter what your argument or reasoning behind smoking cigars may be all that really matters is that you enjoy doing it.

  11. #176

    Licensed Bee Whisperer Beeman's Avatar


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    For me it all depends on how the person acts. If they're a nice, civil person, just curious about my "bad (in their opinion) habit" I politely explain that its a choice I've made to do something I enjoy, and in my mind the pros outweigh the cons. If someone is a jerk about it quoting me all kinds of facts about how likely they are to kill me I more snidely point out that they are wrong, and usually have some sort of comment to make about their choices and how they can be just as, if not more, dangerous than smoking.

  12. #177

    Joe beercritic's Avatar


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    I haven't run into such folk around here. A few are curious and ask questions. I get a few "My grandpa smoked cigars" comments. Gee, make a guy feel old. Turning 53 in a few weeks, but still feel like a kid.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

  13. #178

    Puffer Fish with some spikes


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    I get them to look like idiots.

    PhD guy: "CANCER!"
    Me: "Are you relaying propaganda, or is that based on actual scientific fact?"
    PhD guy: "It's based on scientific facts"
    Me: "I'd love to read the paper where this is established."
    PhD guy: "[pause] You will see in a few years when you get your lungs checked."

    HINT: There is no scientifically valid "paper where this is established". Even today, we do not understand the chemical and phisiological processes caused by smoking, as we do not understand the chemical and phisiological processes that cause cancer. Cancer is nothing more than a convenient scape-goat for things people may not like, much like the witch hunts of the colonial era.
    Anyway, back to the story. Later on:

    PhD guy: "No cellphones!"
    Me: "They cause cancer!"
    PhD guy: "I'm not worried about cancer. [long pause] You can get cancer if you want to."

  14. #179

    Puffer Fish with some spikes


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    And another great argument, if you are young:

    When I was a kid, wherever I went people were smoking. Clouds of smoke hovered above my head, so thick, I sometimes could not see the ceiling. I would visit my dad at work, and everybody was smoking. Empty soda bottles were filled with cigarrette butts after the ashtrays were full. I was told I could enjoy this hobby as long as I wait until I turn eighteen. This check your generation has given me came back as 'insufficient funds'. Your generation has filled my childhood with smoke. What makes you think your generation has the right to tell me "no smoking".

  15. #180

    Puffer Fish with some spikes izkeh's Avatar


     

    Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

    My experience is that I get more crap from cigarette smokers than I do from non-smokers. I swear, more non-smokers either say, "those smell good" or "reminds me of my dad/grandpa/uncle" than say "those stink". But the damn cigarette smokers that complain come in two flavors of a-hole:
    1. While puffing on their acrid, rancid cigarette they mutter nonsense about how bad cigars stink, or, and more insidious,
    2. Ask me to put out my cigar WHILE they are puffing on their cigarette. I swear to Christ I can't count how many times that's happened to me back when MI used to allow smoking in bars. Two examples - The sea hag wife of a bar owner had a Virginia Slim 1000000mm or whatever those ungainly things are hanging from her pursed lips and put her arms around my friend and I who were smoking cigars in the bar (we got permission from the owner himself) and said, "Can you guys please put those out?" We were flabbergasted.

    The second instance of this was a bar where EVERYONE was smoking cigarettes and the owner was at the bar smoking a cigar I gave him when this dumb beeeatch came over from the table where she and her 4 other friends were ALL smoking cigarettes and asked if, "I could put that stinky thing out." I responded with "When the owner of the bar comes over and asks me to put out my cigar I will." As I swung around and pointed out the big, fat Greek guy sitting at the corner of the bar smoking a cigar (again, that I had just given him) I proceeded to tell her, "That's him. The big guy smoking the cigar." She left in a huff and I believe that my cigar tasted ten times better after that.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •