Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

This is a discussion on What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People? within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by izkeh My experience is that I get more crap from cigarette smokers than I do from non-smokers. ...

Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

Quote Originally Posted by izkeh View Post
    My experience is that I get more crap from cigarette smokers than I do from non-smokers. I swear, more non-smokers either say, "those smell good" or "reminds me of my dad/grandpa/uncle" than say "those stink". But the damn cigarette smokers that complain come in two flavors of a-hole:
    1. While puffing on their acrid, rancid cigarette they mutter nonsense about how bad cigars stink, or, and more insidious,
    2. Ask me to put out my cigar WHILE they are puffing on their cigarette. I swear to Christ I can't count how many times that's happened to me back when MI used to allow smoking in bars. Two examples - The sea hag wife of a bar owner had a Virginia Slim 1000000mm or whatever those ungainly things are hanging from her pursed lips and put her arms around my friend and I who were smoking cigars in the bar (we got permission from the owner himself) and said, "Can you guys please put those out?" We were flabbergasted.

The second instance of this was a bar where EVERYONE was smoking cigarettes and the owner was at the bar smoking a cigar I gave him when this dumb beeeatch came over from the table where she and her 4 other friends were ALL smoking cigarettes and asked if, "I could put that stinky thing out." I responded with "When the owner of the bar comes over and asks me to put out my cigar I will." As I swung around and pointed out the big, fat Greek guy sitting at the corner of the bar smoking a cigar (again, that I had just given him) I proceeded to tell her, "That's him. The big guy smoking the cigar." She left in a huff and I believe that my cigar tasted ten times better after that.
    As one who is in the middle of kicking a heavy 'rette habit, I can tell you this. Your awesome cigars are making their cigarettes taste like paper wrapped dookie sticks. Cigars make my cigarettes taste horrid. It's really helped me in my mission to quit. People aren't usually keen to this and blame the cigar smoker. Of course some folks are just arses anyway.
    ---"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Could be worse
    Could be meth

say it with a cheeky grin and a glint in your eye and watch how fast they back up

Now that's an awesome reply.

Agree. I've cut down from a 3-pack a day cigarette habit to 1 in a month since I got back into cigars after a 15-year hiatus.

I was smoking outside my B&M one time and some kids drove by and shouted "cancer!"...Im not gonna lie, it kind of bothered me and ruined my enjoyment of fine tobacco that day. I guess Im just not that kind of person. If something is affecting me directly than I dont care, its your business. I like to think Im very courteous about my smoking and make concerted efforts to keep smoke away from non smokers.

I will say that I have noticed a strange phenomena, "The Non-Smoker Vaccuum". I swear anytime a freind is hanging out with us smokers the smoke seems to follow wherever they are sitting. If they get up and move, the smoke follows.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by Merovius View Post
    I will say that I have noticed a strange phenomena, "The Non-Smoker Vaccuum". I swear anytime a freind is hanging out with us smokers the smoke seems to follow wherever they are sitting. If they get up and move, the smoke follows.
    I have noticed this phenomenon too. This is actually the fifth fundamental force. Now that they've discovered the Higgs boson, they will start looking for this "dark force". Gives a whole new meaning to "May the force be with you!"

Poor non-smokers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnuke View Post
    I have noticed this phenomenon too. This is actually the fifth fundamental force. Now that they've discovered the Higgs boson, they will start looking for this "dark force". Gives a whole new meaning to "May the force be with you!"

Poor non-smokers.
    Haha. Man, I wish I could clean up those spelling errors in my post...my college English profs would be very disappointed.

Haha. Man, I wish I could clean up those spelling errors in my post...my college English profs would be very disappointed.
    May the apostrophe be with you!

May the apostrophe be with you!
    This cracks me up every time someone mentions grammar in a forum...
    ---"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers."

You would have had to seen Inglorious Basterds to get the humor.

I was smoking outside my B&M one time and some kids drove by and shouted "cancer!"...
    If I was your wingman, I would have saved the day with a hail and hearty, "No, Gemini!" Enjoyment ensues.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmalde View Post
    If I was your wingman, I would have saved the day with a hail and hearty, "No, Gemini!" Enjoyment ensues.
    haha, nice.

Today, I have had my first true anti-cigar conversation. I installed myself on a table about 30ft from an entrance, right below a sign reading "Smoking prohibited by state law". Since state law requires a 15ft distance from the entrance, that sign had been erroneously placed. Going into the last third, a girl installed herself on a table about 20ft away from mine.

"Excuse me, you shouldn't be smoking there. There's a sign right above you. The smoke is bothering me." To that, I calmly explained that the sign was erroneous, and apologized about the smoke. "The smoke is bothering me" is the only argument against smoking which I have a deep respect for. Needless to say, I wasn't too comfortable completing the last third of the stick. She was polite enough to let me finish my cigar.

After I put down my cigar, I walked to her to apologise, and explain that it is very difficult to find a place to sit down and work (on a laptop), especially for persons who are stuck in that place for the whole day because of their schedule. I could tell she felt pretty bad about accosting me earlier. She told me she has friends who smoke cigarettes, and apologized for complaining. I told her she shouldn't feel sorry for that, and that she should speak up if something bothers her. Then I left.

There used to be a saying: "Kill them with kindness". I think, statistically speaking, this is the most effective response strategy. Sarcastic or aggressive responses (statistically speaking) only serve to strengthen the anti-tobacco sentiment. Any takes?

Today, I have had my first true anti-cigar conversation. I installed myself on a table about 30ft from an entrance, right below a sign reading "Smoking prohibited by state law". Since state law requires a 15ft distance from the entrance, that sign had been erroneously placed. Going into the last third, a girl installed herself on a table about 20ft away from mine.

"Excuse me, you shouldn't be smoking there. There's a sign right above you. The smoke is bothering me." To that, I calmly explained that the sign was erroneous, and apologized about the smoke. "The smoke is bothering me" is the only argument against smoking which I have a deep respect for. Needless to say, I wasn't too comfortable completing the last third of the stick. She was polite enough to let me finish my cigar.

After I put down my cigar, I walked to her to apologise, and explain that it is very difficult to find a place to sit down and work (on a laptop), especially for persons who are stuck in that place for the whole day because of their schedule. I could tell she felt pretty bad about accosting me earlier. She told me she has friends who smoke cigarettes, and apologized for complaining. I told her she shouldn't feel sorry for that, and that she should speak up if something bothers her. Then I left.

There used to be a saying: "Kill them with kindness". I think, statistically speaking, this is the most effective response strategy. Sarcastic or aggressive responses (statistically speaking) only serve to strengthen the anti-tobacco sentiment. Any takes?
    I would do well to remember this. I usually react in kind, but would be reminded by this to not become irritated and terse.

Puffer Fish with some spikes irie's Avatar

this thread make me appreciate my big back yard and B&M with a badass lounge only a few minutes away.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast