Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

This is a discussion on What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People? within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by smelvis Yeah good point, But though I seldom have anyone say anything it is a good time ...

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    Yeah good point, But though I seldom have anyone say anything it is a good time to have a little laugh at them, I see them in person as cowardly little people who are like the internet tough guy's, so yes it's a little fun putting them in their place. I have never seen any do anything but huff off LOL sorry they are Trolls yes but still my mischievous side has fun with em
    Couldn't agree more Dave! They that would never dare man up or step up in a face to face confrontation. The internet home of the Troll / tough guy! They used to really get to me. Funny now i just look read and laugh. Its like watching T.V none of it is real. LOL!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I slowly and thoughtfully remove the cigar from my mouth, holding it in a very refined fashion. I make a few small gestures at key moments with it as I say something like this, "Thank you so much for offering your considered opinion into a previously nonexistent discussion. I think we can both agree that there are grounds for both agreement and disagreement, for a meeting of the minds and also for a clashing of swords, when it comes to the topic of Nicotiana tabacum. On the basis of this theoretical agreement, then, I suggest we embark upon a voyage of mutual discovery, venturing into heretofore unvisited realms of fascinating and scintillating conversation. It is there, among the exotic sights and sounds and scents of a new cerebral land, that we may ultimately arrive at the most satisfactory conclusion to this adventure. A conclusion, which I may flatter myself to suggest ... " and so on until they surrender and walk away. At which point I enjoy a celebratory puff ...
    Last edited by Tritones; 12-09-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: coroectign tpoys
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote Originally Posted by mscyclone View Post
    What you ought to say is "My girlfriend/wife finds my habit revolting, too. It gives me bad breath, and makes my clothes stink. Please go take care of my woman for me, because she finds me revolting.... But alas, I can't top making love to this weed that tastes like crap". That way everyone is happy
    Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    WOW! Is someone jealous?!?!? Did you seriously join a cigar enthusiast forum just to post this?
    Quote Originally Posted by usrower321 View Post
    Someone seems very bitter about cigar smoking. She should just tell her husband to brush, rinse and repeat.

He also could just say "sorry I'm not sorry honey."
    Don't be so hard on her - she's just expressing a free-will opinion.

Much like the negative RG she received ...
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BamaDoc77's Avatar

I would tell them to suck my sack....sorry, I just LOLd at myself....
    "I am a doctor.....smoke 2 Padrons and call me in the morning."

Puffer Fish with some spikes LLave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    WOW! Is someone jealous?!?!? Did you seriously join a cigar enthusiast forum just to post this?
    Hah seriously, nice first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritones View Post
    Don't be so hard on her - she's just expressing a free-will opinion.

Much like the negative RG she received ...
    I just back handed her Ring Gauge some as well for 5h|t5 and g|Ggl3s

Oh and as far as what I say to others who give me some disapproving looks or words.

I simply say, "It never ceases to amaze me how many perfect strangers are genuinely concerned for my health and well being" Then with a straight face say "Can I get a hug"? and move forward towards them. I have never seen people move away from me so quickly after being shut down like that.

You kinda have to be willing to commit to possibly getting popped. Its a conscious decision on my part and I admit it comes off as a bit .
    It does diffuse the situation though in most (not all) cases.
    Last edited by BDog; 12-12-2011 at 08:31 PM.
    <---- Thats my dog "Cinder" just "chillaxin" with his favorite smoking hat on The 6 thousand dollar dog!

No longer a community member. Delsana's Avatar

You guys have some interesting responses, but I am a proponent of remaining polite and dignified in what goes on that others may not particularly care for, that being said, I partake in places that are either geared towards that pursuit or around people who like it in the first place. If I did so otherwise, I would not be in the right to feel offended by someone being offended that I was intruding on something not intended or allowing of such a means of "relaxation".

That also being said, I've known many that were tasered, pepper sprayed, and kicked in the balls in response to their acting very rude or insulting to what you like to call "trolls", that being said, whether or not you agree with the result (I'm going to take a wild guess and say you don't), the point remains that all people have the right to their opinion.

The world would be a much better place if we deleted the word "troll" and all references or considerations that relate to it, as it causes nothing but aggression and issues across the net and now off it, and never have I ever seen it used properly, as the people calling out others are the ones who are generally doing the "trolling".

So, to recap, politeness, or you may be on the receiving end of a tool for self defense, which in many states is a viable response to someone acting extreme insulting or aggressive towards you.

---

Also, I've found that if you remain cordial and polite and seem to not be such a bad person when you respond to them or perhaps--if it would not present a problem to you--moving to another location... the option to invite the person against cigars to sit with you and try one is also something that strangely enough... works.

People have social brainwashing (I hate that word but I can't think of a better one right now) about such things and in regards to cigars, a little first hand education as I described above can do wonders.

Newbie in the ocean

I've never had this problem, but I don't tend to smoke in public places other than cigar lounges or bar patios/decks. If I do light up while at a bar I sit as far away from people as possible, out of courtesy, and I usually bring a relatively non-offensive cigar. While I'm not generally a fan of "infused" cigars, I find that keeping a small humi of ACID on hand is perfect for those occasions where I will be in public. They are not overpowering with their flavoring (needlessly sweetened, though) and the general public actually LIKES the smell of the smoke.

Overall, I understand that my hobby can be inconvenient to many, and I take as much care to to avoid offending as I would wish the public would take in allowing me to enjoy a smoke.

I ran into one today on the trail smoking a cigar with the dog and my kids. She says smoking around the children and pets. I was gonna say something but my daughter beat me to it. She said and i quote!
    "Lady we are all outside"
    Max our dog just lifted his leg and pee LOL!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

i usually thank them for their concern and let them know that i will go home and contemplate all of my lifes decisions..... though im not compltetly sure if my sarcasm is a bit to dry for them to pick up my humor.... as long as im laughing it must be funny though.
    you should see a dr for erections lasting longer than 4 hours, does that apply to e-peens as well?

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delsana View Post
    You guys have some interesting responses, but I am a proponent of remaining polite and dignified in what goes on that others may not particularly care for, that being said, I partake in places that are either geared towards that pursuit or around people who like it in the first place. If I did so otherwise, I would not be in the right to feel offended by someone being offended that I was intruding on something not intended or allowing of such a means of "relaxation".

...So, to recap, politeness....

...Also, I've found that if you remain cordial and polite and seem to not be such a bad person when you respond to them or perhaps--if it would not present a problem to you--moving to another location... the option to invite the person against cigars to sit with you and try one is also something that strangely enough... works.

People have social brainwashing (I hate that word but I can't think of a better one right now) about such things and in regards to cigars, a little first hand education as I described above can do wonders.
    Well said.

While I think it's wrong to stop doing something just because someone might react aggressively, I completely agree that a soft answer turns away wrath.

If you want others to stop thinking of cigar smokers as rude jerks who care only about thsemselves, the solution is simple: don't be a rude jerk who only thinks about himself. We give ourselves our own reputation. As a young guy, and a cigar smoker, I'm almost always immediately judged on appearance. The only way to change that is not to be the guy they assume I am. If I'm polite, and accomodate a reasonable request, I might just change the stereotype in one person's mind.

I'm not going to bend over and take verbal abuse from someone, but by the same token, if the request is reasonable, I'll certainly be polite about it. I don't want to ruin someone else's night just because I demand my right to enjoy a cigar when and where I want it, even at other's expense. Is it a free country? Sure. Is it wrong to light up, knowing it's going to bother everyone around you and not care? Absolutely. That's a pretty selfish thing to do.

The only real exception, IMO, is the "smoking cigars where everyone else is smoking cigarettes situation". In that case, I'll dialogue with them, but their cigarette smell is bothering me as much as my cigar smoke bothers them, and I'm probably being exposed to worse health risk from their cigarettes than they are from my cigar, so it's a moot point.

Then there will be people who judge you, and might be rude about it. Again, my general solution is that a soft answer often turns away wrath. Engage those people in conversation, offer them the statistics about occasional cigar smoking's minimal risk. Ask them what informs their opinion, and give them accurate information. But being rude and snippy only reinforces the sterotype that cigar smokers are selfish jerks who only care about pleasing themselves.
    Last edited by Aninjaforallseasons; 12-29-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader primetime76's Avatar

I tell them that my cigar smoke is idiot repellant.
    It is easier to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission!

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by primetime76 View Post
    Kipp uses a wrathful answer to turn away wrath...

On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Professor Kurt: Which ACID is your preference? If I may ask... fellow young puffer Dave

Personally... I don't smoke where I'm not allowed.. I prefer to let myself indulge in every moment... so if it's not right.. well it's wrong.. and if it's wrong.. damn.. I'm just addicted to tobacco nic. So, I smoke at home.. at bar's that allow it.. on patio's.. with friends that smoke.
    "The smoker you drink..the player you get"... Joe Walsh.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime76 View Post

Jimi Hendrix

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast