Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

This is a discussion on What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People? within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by dvielmancc Professor Kurt: Which ACID is your preference? If I may ask... fellow young puffer Dave I ...

Newbie in the ocean

Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

Quote Originally Posted by dvielmancc View Post
    Professor Kurt: Which ACID is your preference? If I may ask... fellow young puffer Dave
    I find Kuba Kuba pleasant, if sweetened. The flavor of the smoke is nice, and the smell of the smoke has received compliments! I have to say I haven't tried many ACIDs, though, and there may be better ones out there.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Just1ce's Avatar

I'm not sure that this has ever come up with anyone I have known or spoken with. I typically only smoke in privacy unless I am at a B&M. I can guess though that my response might include something to the effect of "Mind your own business" or perhaps "pound sand."

I don't smoke in areas or situations where my smoke will offend anyone. I try and sit downwind if I'm outside or pick a spot away from others if I'm going to smoke in a bar. I agree completely with everyone here who says that we represent our hobby in it's best light by being considerate and respectful. I do really like the idea of inviting a stranger to sit down and try a cigar. I will start carrying an extra cigar or two with me for this purpose. As the founder of Aikido said," True victory is turning an enemy into a friend."

I love smoking indoors with climate controlled environment. I don't have a smoking room...so I smoke in my own home. I enjoy a smoke when I can let it go with abandon. I don't have anyone telling me about how bothersome it is.

I like to smoke in bars where smoking is allowed. Usually, I will find a corner with friends where we can lite up without any problem attributed to the thick smoke.

If someone ever tells me something, I will act courteously. I will stand my ground, however, because as stated above I will not smoke where I am not supposed to. Cigars are expensive and I want the full enjoyment of my smoking experience.
    "The smoker you drink..the player you get"... Joe Walsh.

Puffer Fish with some spikes chef-zorba's Avatar

In my experience I guess it all depends on the person who is not in favor of your smoking. Usually right away you can tell if the person is going to be an a-hole about it or if they are going to be polite about it. If the person is going to be a jerk I do this; smile, ask them if they would like to try one to lighten the hell up, give em a wink, snip of the lt end of my cigar, and walk away without saying a word. For some reason this absolutely enrages this kind of person and at that point they are more pissed off that you didn't get into a confrontation with them than the actual cigar smoking itself. Walk away a winner with a smile.

The second type of person is the best. Usually they are polite and considerate and ask if I could smoke in another area or down wind, something to that extent, and I kindly and happily move to a different area. They usually smile and say thank you very much and are respectful of my space because I'm respectful of theirs.

Now....in a B&M....where someone complained about the cigar smoke last month.....you have the right to leave

Quote Originally Posted by kozzman555 View Post
    I tell them that the American Medical Association (AMA) says that 1-2 cigars a day has a negligible health risk (1.06 on a scale of 1-100) because it does not have any of the carcinogens that are added to cigarettes. If they have a problem with that, they can sit somewhere else.
    I know this is from a while ago, but does anyone know where i could see the source that says this? I can't seem to find it.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

This just happened to me yesterday we are out and about me the kids and my girlfriend. So we visit this pound in Brooklyn big opened and outside. So we are walking along the cages looking at dogs. I reach in my pocket grab a Partagas Short and light up. Not even a 1/3 into it a woman comes over and says "Your not supposed to smoke here" I respond really but we are outdoors and there is no sign. "Yes but they don't like smoking around the dogs" Come-on kids i say lets go the lady responds and i almost laughed in her face "no need to leave we are in the business of joining dogs with families" To which i respond well as you see i smoke cigars outside and you don't like that i don't fit your criteria. " Once you take the dog home what you do is your business" she responds With that my son sticks his hand in the cage to give a dog a treat " Don't do that she says" I say why she responds " Sometimes they bite" I say but there is no sign posted also you are willing to send a dog into a smokers home and allow a dog that bites to be adopted? We go back and forth politely my girlfriend is laughing to herself the kids playing with the dogs. Meanwhile i am 3/4 done with the Partagas short so we chat back and forth by the time we where done the cigar was finished. The most important part i didn't have to say a thing.
    TAKE THAT YOU ANTI SMOKING WITCH HUNTER NAZI"S!
    Point there where no such rules or signs would have been posted. This woman Lucy was her name took her personal agenda feelings and need to impose her will. And came knocking on the wrong door. "We are all just passing through here for a cup of coffee yet someone always wants to control us"-Nino
    Last edited by TonyBrooklyn; 02-21-2012 at 08:33 AM.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Young Fish

I tend to get better comments on my pipes than I do on my cigars. Funny you mention the ACID Kuba Kuba, my dad thought that one smelled like cheap cologne. I had to agree, it was a little floral for my nose, but the taste was very good, very smooth. Even dad thought so, haha. But this is not a review thread, so I'll get back to the topic.

The pipe becomes a bit of a conversation piece. I get good comments and conversations going with older gentlemen and college age guys and most importantly, college age gals. I never smoke Englishes or anything with Latakia out in public though. I don't want the people next to me to run out screaming "FIRE!" or anything.

I've never really gotten a bad comment or anything like that, because I really don't like to put myself in that sort of situation. If the patio is crowded, or there are lots of people around not smoking, I don't smoke. I've gotten several comments about me being the youngest pipe smoker they've seen, and a select few that go something like "I enjoy a good pipe/cigar." Then we talk tobaccos, which is always fun.

The comments that make me roll my eyes are the drug related ones. "Dude, nice blunt!" "You should smoke weed!" "We all know what's in that pipe, man!" I've had several of the drug crowd tell me how marijuana is magically healthy for your lungs, blah blah blah. It's not for me, and some of those people are very militant.

In the event that I do offend someone and they are rude, it really depends on what mood I'm in. I may tell them to um... "step" off, or I may ignore them. If I'm in a good mood, I'll be the better person, give them a smile, maybe offer them a cigar. I like the "idiot repellent" and "Could I get a hug?" responses.

Don't let it bother you though, if someone is so uptight that they can't be nice about asking you to move or something like that, then they aren't worth thinking about. We're big boys/girls, if smoking fine tobaccos makes us happy, then we don't have to explain ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by WildMetal View Post
    I tend to get better comments on my pipes than I do on my cigars. Funny you mention the ACID Kuba Kuba, my dad thought that one smelled like cheap cologne. I had to agree, it was a little floral for my nose, but the taste was very good, very smooth. Even dad thought so, haha. But this is not a review thread, so I'll get back to the topic.

The pipe becomes a bit of a conversation piece. I get good comments and conversations going with older gentlemen and college age guys and most importantly, college age gals. I never smoke Englishes or anything with Latakia out in public though. I don't want the people next to me to run out screaming "FIRE!" or anything.

I've never really gotten a bad comment or anything like that, because I really don't like to put myself in that sort of situation. If the patio is crowded, or there are lots of people around not smoking, I don't smoke. I've gotten several comments about me being the youngest pipe smoker they've seen, and a select few that go something like "I enjoy a good pipe/cigar." Then we talk tobaccos, which is always fun.

The comments that make me roll my eyes are the drug related ones. "Dude, nice blunt!" "You should smoke weed!" "We all know what's in that pipe, man!" I've had several of the drug crowd tell me how marijuana is magically healthy for your lungs, blah blah blah. It's not for me, and some of those people are very militant.

In the event that I do offend someone and they are rude, it really depends on what mood I'm in. I may tell them to um... "step" off, or I may ignore them. If I'm in a good mood, I'll be the better person, give them a smile, maybe offer them a cigar. I like the "idiot repellent" and "Could I get a hug?" responses.

Don't let it bother you though, if someone is so uptight that they can't be nice about asking you to move or something like that, then they aren't worth thinking about. We're big boys/girls, if smoking fine tobaccos makes us happy, then we don't have to explain ourselves.
    If more cigars smokers would have stood up for the cannabis smokers when they were getting the shaft by the morality police, we wouldn't be having to fight for our right for cigars today. It was a slippery slope and it keeps getting slipperier.
    Xbox Gamertag: BADF1NGER

Young Fish

I have nothing wrong with cannabis smokers, in fact I think the government should leave them alone. I do not, however, enjoy immature comments from teens in Bob Marley shirts, or the constant lectures from people about how marijuana is harmless. While I feel marijuana has legitimate medicinal uses, burning anything and inhaling the smoke into your lungs is not "harmless". It's people just trying to pressure me into something I do not enjoy. But, let's not turn this thread into a debate thread on whether it is morally right to use it or not, because you'd be preaching to the choir, what people do on their own time to their own selves is their own business.

When I smoke a cigar, and people say "why do you do that, its nasty and dangerous", I simply say, "why do you drive fast and text/call, its stupid and dangerous".

Basically what im saying is, it is a hobby I enjoy, and we only die once, so life might as well be memorable and spent doing the things we enjoy.

Usually I'll be like ZOMG look a Moose. People tend to shy away from crazy people.

Quote Originally Posted by mscyclone View Post
    What you ought to say is "My girlfriend/wife finds my habit revolting, too. It gives me bad breath, and makes my clothes stink. Please go take care of my woman for me, because she finds me revolting.... But alas, I can't top making love to this weed that tastes like crap". That way everyone is happy
    Ha Ha, funny, replying with sarcasm...

Quote Originally Posted by usrower321 View Post
    Someone seems very bitter about cigar smoking. She should just tell her husband to brush, rinse and repeat.

He also could just say "sorry I'm not sorry honey."
    ...Huh, she wasn't kidding. Hmmm...I feel sorry for MrCyclone, He wasn't a member of Puff was he?
    NomoMoMo's Cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/nomomomo
    Sarcasm is wasted on cats...

I usually reply with I'm a supporter of The United States of America which was founded on Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms which do you prefer I offend you with!
    You just need to live a little ........

Quote Originally Posted by abhoe View Post
    Usually I'll be like ZOMG look a Moose. People tend to shy away from crazy people.
    LOL. This guy here is the winner of this thread.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast