Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

This is a discussion on What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People? within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Not much. Cant fix stupid....

Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

Not much. Cant fix stupid.

Young Puffer Fish

I lit up on a patio at a bar this past weekend. Perfect weather, patio was relatively empty, except for a couple of other tables, etc. Anyway, I'm about 5 minutes in and this older woman from a table full of older folks walks over and I just KNOW that she is going to ask me to move or something to that effect. She gets to the table smiles and then says, "That smells quite delicious. May I ask if you bought that from anywhere nearby?" Unfortunately, I didn't, but I did have an extra in my car. I put my cigar down on the ashtray, walked out to my car, got the extra, returned, and then spent the next 15 minutes teaching this older woman and her husband and their friends how to properly light a stick, how to smoke it, what to look for when you buy, my favorite brands, etc. In this instance I was smoking a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Belicoso. It was actually a pretty cool moment and it combined my 2 favorite aspects of cigar smoking: community and relaxation. And better yet, the woman's husband typed the majority of the brands I gave them into his phone. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, so I just pick and choose in public and hope for a cool crowd like I had this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bgbrunson View Post
    I lit up on a patio at a bar this past weekend. Perfect weather, patio was relatively empty, except for a couple of other tables, etc. Anyway, I'm about 5 minutes in and this older woman from a table full of older folks walks over and I just KNOW that she is going to ask me to move or something to that effect. She gets to the table smiles and then says, "That smells quite delicious. May I ask if you bought that from anywhere nearby?" Unfortunately, I didn't, but I did have an extra in my car. I put my cigar down on the ashtray, walked out to my car, got the extra, returned, and then spent the next 15 minutes teaching this older woman and her husband and their friends how to properly light a stick, how to smoke it, what to look for when you buy, my favorite brands, etc. In this instance I was smoking a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Belicoso. It was actually a pretty cool moment and it combined my 2 favorite aspects of cigar smoking: community and relaxation. And better yet, the woman's husband typed the majority of the brands I gave them into his phone. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, so I just pick and choose in public and hope for a cool crowd like I had this weekend.
    What a great experience! Too bad this can't happen all the time. Great job being an ambassador for us all!

Newbie beside the ocean

Depends on the situation, if they ask politely if I can move down wind I would typically oblige, but if they are dicks about it, I become a bigger dick.

I have no tolerance for a cigarette smoker who bitches about my cigar smoke…..that’s an instant f*** you response.

Funny how many times I had non-smokers say how nice the cigar smells….never once had that when I smoked cigarettes.

Easier without the hat. Bigtotoro's Avatar

I smoke in my own backyard. Therefore, I say nothing to them.

I have no use for RG.

Gio

I also smoke in my own back yard. However, since the houses are so close together I smoke late in the day to prevent issues with the neighbors. I am a cigar lover, but I understand not everyone is perfect... So, I guess what I am trying to say is that I am ultra mindful of others when smoking. Specially because I do not want anything to affect the joyful experience of smoking a cigar.

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

I mostly smoke cigars on my front porch and the closest neighbor downwind is on the other sode of an abandoned adobe and an overgrown orchard... probably 120 or so meters away. But when we have guests over if I feel like anyone is the slightest bit bothered buy my smoke I'll step out into my yard and give them some room. I expect cig smokers to do the same for me.

At work I enjoy an occasional cigar if I need to maintain my chill. Working a front desk is usually a pleasure, but occasionally folks get demanding and unreasonable. Even when folks get crappy I must remain calm and polite. Sometimes a cigar helps. We have a 100% smokefree building but have smoke stations set up around the grounds. The only one I can use is on the deck outside the lobby where I can see the frontdesk. Usually folks are real nice and I met some wonderful cigar and pipe smokers. The non smokers are often intrigued by my cigars and seem to be OK with it. The only two problems I ever had at work (in two months of cigar smoking there) have both been from cigarette smokers.

The first time it was several old ladies walked up on me and lit up cigarettes next to me then started doing the "fanning their noses with their hands" gesture. I simply asked if my smoke was bothering them. They said yes so I put my cigar in my ashtray around the corner and went inside. They were gone again in a few short minutes I stepped back outside and my cigar was still barely lit: No harm, no foul. The second time was when a group of military bikers stayed with us while on a run. I was smoking a cigar on the deck with a First Sergeant (we were BOTH smoking cigars) and his drunken girlfriend walked up on us smoking a cigarette and commented on how bad the cigars smelled. Quick as lightning she snatched my cigar outta my hand and tossed it into the river. I looked at her bloodshot eyes and commented, "Well, that was quite effective!". The First Sergeant pulled out a moneyclip and tried to hand me a 20$ bill. I shook my head "no" and told him, "No worries, Top, I don't get surprised often, and this will make a GREAT story." When he left the next morning he tipped me 100$!

A polite and calm attitude almost always pays off.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish smokin3000gt's Avatar

First thing I say politely as possible is

Of course I'm just kidding. Actually I have yet to smoke in public so I haven't run into the problem yet. If I'm outside I'll try to be downwind from people but if I'm outside in the smoking section, then I don't think cigarette smokers have any room to bitch or say anything.

Disinterested

Bear in mind that these are the same people, who as third graders, raised their hand and said, "Mrs. Smith! Tony just passed a note to Lucy!"

They have incurable control issues and lives so boring, their only interest is in injecting themselves into yours.

"Now that you have my attention, use it expeditiously, since I am currently engaging the tool of a beloved and fascinating hobby, which cost more than your shoes."

Puffer Fish with many spikes zephead61's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    I mostly smoke cigars on my front porch and the closest neighbor downwind is on the other sode of an abandoned adobe and an overgrown orchard... probably 120 or so meters away. But when we have guests over if I feel like anyone is the slightest bit bothered buy my smoke I'll step out into my yard and give them some room. I expect cig smokers to do the same for me.

At work I enjoy an occasional cigar if I need to maintain my chill. Working a front desk is usually a pleasure, but occasionally folks get demanding and unreasonable. Even when folks get crappy I must remain calm and polite. Sometimes a cigar helps. We have a 100% smokefree building but have smoke stations set up around the grounds. The only one I can use is on the deck outside the lobby where I can see the frontdesk. Usually folks are real nice and I met some wonderful cigar and pipe smokers. The non smokers are often intrigued by my cigars and seem to be OK with it. The only two problems I ever had at work (in two months of cigar smoking there) have both been from cigarette smokers.

The first time it was several old ladies walked up on me and lit up cigarettes next to me then started doing the "fanning their noses with their hands" gesture. I simply asked if my smoke was bothering them. They said yes so I put my cigar in my ashtray around the corner and went inside. They were gone again in a few short minutes I stepped back outside and my cigar was still barely lit: No harm, no foul. The second time was when a group of military bikers stayed with us while on a run. I was smoking a cigar on the deck with a First Sergeant (we were BOTH smoking cigars) and his drunken girlfriend walked up on us smoking a cigarette and commented on how bad the cigars smelled. Quick as lightning she snatched my cigar outta my hand and tossed it into the river. I looked at her bloodshot eyes and commented, "Well, that was quite effective!". The First Sergeant pulled out a moneyclip and tried to hand me a 20$ bill. I shook my head "no" and told him, "No worries, Top, I don't get surprised often, and this will make a GREAT story." When he left the next morning he tipped me 100$!

A polite and calm attitude almost always pays off.
    Mark, I commend you on keeping your composure regarding the drunkin' bi&@h. I wouldn't have been so polite.....

Maturing Puffer Fish gogirlanime's Avatar

I so far have replied "I don't smoke often and while they aren't 'healthy' per-say they are healthIER than cigarettes and I don't smoke often so I see no harm in it, it's a much healthier hobby than many others"

Puffer Fish with some spikes jakecartier3's Avatar

I've honestly never been in a situation where someone has gotten in my face and told me that my hobby is bad for my health/rude/etc. I tend to smoke alone on the back patio, and if I'm with a group of people and smoking there is always at least one other person who is too. And the smell of a cigar is far more pleasant than the smell of cigarettes, so I think a lot of people find it to be a much preferable alternative! But that's just my experience. I'm sure at some point someone will get annoying about it, and when they do I'll just be very polite

Only had it happen once and my response was "then stop breathing." If someone comments on the health of cigar smoking I simply reply "I don't smoke cigarettes, don't drink alcohol, don't have sex, and don't take drugs except for those prescribed for the voices in my head. Take away eating and cigar smoking and I might as well die." The usually laugh and forget about cigars.

Puffer Fish with some spikes BrunoBlack's Avatar

I used to love it when people complained. They all know me now so do not even bother.

One time, while walking along a relatively empty beach, I had some old trout walk about 30 yards over to me to complain about my cigar. I simply told her to 'F off', the classic lines are always best when you are dealing with a moron. You are only wasting your time explaining how stupid they are being. Another time in a pub I had some woman complain about my pipe ...when she was smoking a cigarette. She did not even realise how stupid she was being, when she herself was smoking.

By all means reason with people where you can, but never over estimate how stupid folk can be.

I respond with " Like your hair" then " Have a nice day". Simple
    Ils sont partis! "And there off"

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast