Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

This is a discussion on What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People? within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; When they start in with their usual line, "That'll kill you one day." I respond simply with, "When?"...

Woo! Dachshund! AgentJuggernaut's Avatar

Re: What Do You Say To Anti-Cigar People?

When they start in with their usual line, "That'll kill you one day." I respond simply with, "When?"
    My blog tattoosandcigars.wordpress.com is still in preparation stages, but once I get this move completed I'll start putting up some reviews again.

No longer a community member.

I for one do not support the harsh, negative, vulgar, or for lack of a better word--juvenile, responses to people who are against smoking. Let's be honest, smoking cigarettes for instance does give off a particularly pungent stench and many people's sense of smell are different so many people also don't like the much more lofty, stronger, and intensive scent of a cigar, and many cigars smell different and so may be worse to others. I think it would be wrong to believe that the vast majority of people who wave their hand or exhale sharply or some similar thing around people smoking, are faking it. That seems highly unlikely. While I've rarely been in a situation where I've been partaking of a cigar around others that might not enjoy it, I would more than likely offer a cigar if I had another to a person who seemed troubled by it or was around it, unless it seemed clear they wouldn't enjoy it, otherwise I'd move or apologize for the bother but explain that at that time it was a point I chose to smoke a cigar, which I don't do all that often, and so I've weighed the risk and plan to continue barring extreme circumstances.

When people have visually or verbally expressed disgust with it, I always move, because if someone was doing something highly bothersome to myself, I would hope they'd be respectful of myself regardless of the circumstances and try to be less bothersome to me, though rarely have I ever been bothered by anything so that's not all that often. As for the case of cigarette smokers being around cigar smokers.. while it is true a large percentage of cigarette smokers do not want to smoke but can't help themselves and thus being around heavier smoke isn't something they prefer.. they are choosing to smoke, and so I would not feel bad partaking of cigars near them, especially if I was there first; however, I myself don't like cigarette smoke and find myself unintentionally coughing around it at times, so I personally would never choose to smoke where they were, and would instead voluntarily move myself.

I guess my point is that decency always works a lot better than anything else, and I think labeling or stereotyping the people who might have issue with it, or assuming or insulting them for possibly faking it or not.. is just wrong and not right for us to do, nor even accurate.

Since 49% of my smoking is while on walks with my dog and 49% while sitting outside my coach, both alone, I have no need to worry about the anti's opinion.

I some one goes out of their way to interrupt one of my (many) guilty pleasures, I tell them to mind their own business. If that does not work, the eff words may start to fly.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by Draepheus View Post
    I for one do not support the harsh, negative, vulgar, or for lack of a better word--juvenile, responses to people who are against smoking. Let's be honest, smoking cigarettes for instance does give off a particularly pungent stench and many people's sense of smell are different so many people also don't like the much more lofty, stronger, and intensive scent of a cigar, and many cigars smell different and so may be worse to others. I think it would be wrong to believe that the vast majority of people who wave their hand or exhale sharply or some similar thing around people smoking, are faking it. That seems highly unlikely. While I've rarely been in a situation where I've been partaking of a cigar around others that might not enjoy it, I would more than likely offer a cigar if I had another to a person who seemed troubled by it or was around it, unless it seemed clear they wouldn't enjoy it, otherwise I'd move or apologize for the bother but explain that at that time it was a point I chose to smoke a cigar, which I don't do all that often, and so I've weighed the risk and plan to continue barring extreme circumstances.

When people have visually or verbally expressed disgust with it, I always move, because if someone was doing something highly bothersome to myself, I would hope they'd be respectful of myself regardless of the circumstances and try to be less bothersome to me, though rarely have I ever been bothered by anything so that's not all that often. As for the case of cigarette smokers being around cigar smokers.. while it is true a large percentage of cigarette smokers do not want to smoke but can't help themselves and thus being around heavier smoke isn't something they prefer.. they are choosing to smoke, and so I would not feel bad partaking of cigars near them, especially if I was there first; however, I myself don't like cigarette smoke and find myself unintentionally coughing around it at times, so I personally would never choose to smoke where they were, and would instead voluntarily move myself.

I guess my point is that decency always works a lot better than anything else, and I think labeling or stereotyping the people who might have issue with it, or assuming or insulting them for possibly faking it or not.. is just wrong and not right for us to do, nor even accurate.

Make sense but not in my case I smoke in such places that if someone is bothered then they came into my space and that is their problem.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Dhughes12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smelvis View Post
    Make sense but not in my case I smoke in such places that if someone is bothered then they came into my space and that is their problem.
    exactly. if im smoking its either on MY porch, in a cigar bar or in a CIGAR shop. if someone has a problem with it in one of those places.... they are more than welcome to leave. now, in general public, yes i would take extra caution to make sure what im doing isnt bothering someone else. in a bar that allows cigaretttes, ill usually clear it with the bartender before i light up a stogie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhughes12 View Post
    exactly. if im smoking its either on MY porch, in a cigar bar or in a CIGAR shop. if someone has a problem with it in one of those places.... they are more than welcome to leave. now, in general public, yes i would take extra caution to make sure what im doing isnt bothering someone else. in a bar that allows cigaretttes, ill usually clear it with the bartender before i light up a stogie.
    Yep we think alike and even outside though public I will find a spot all by my self so the same thought applies there is a lot of outside area .

Young Fish

I was stunned the other day when an old man walked by smoking a cigarette and asked me to smoke my cigar elsewhere.
    All i could muster was "uh"...."wtf".... then i shook it off. As i think of it now i should have said. " Your nasty cigarette smells far worse than this Rocky Patel!"

Puffer Fish with some spikes BrunoBlack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ejgarnut View Post
    For all the folks that like to rag on cigarettes, please knock it off. This is often a tactic of our enemy (anti tobacco fanatics), to divide & conquer. What do you think is going to happen to cigars if cigarettes are banned? Cigars will be banned 10 minutes later! Anti tobacco fanatics do not differentiate between one type of tobacco or another...why should you??
    Not picking on anyone at all - just saying that we are all in the fight together against a runaway out of control government.
    It is fine to tell them to F off, if they start whining about your cigar and they have a damned cigarette in their hand. That is being a hypocrite and they deserve what they get. A hypercritical arse hole is still an arse hole even if they smoke. They are not my allies in any way shape or form. Saying an idiot is a aid to our cause is wrong IMO. We need less idiots on our side not more. Its not divide and conquer so much as us being labelled with these idiots, unless you distance yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BrunoBlack View Post
    It is fine to tell them to F off, if they start whining about your cigar and they have a damned cigarette in their hand. That is being a hypocrite and they deserve what they get. A hypercritical arse hole is still an arse hole even if they smoke. They are not my allies in any way shape or form. Saying an idiot is a aid to our cause is wrong IMO. We need less idiots on our side not more. Its not divide and conquer so much as us being labelled with these idiots, unless you distance yourself.
    I'm a little confused here Brian. The wording in your post does not let me ascertain whether you are agreeing with Terry or disagreeing.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    I'm a little confused here Brian. The wording in your post does not let me ascertain whether you are agreeing with Terry or disagreeing.
    I agree that we need to stand together, with reasonable sane smokers>>>BUT not with the stupid cigarette smokers, who tell us that our cigars are offensive while thy have a cigarette in their mouth. Basically the ones who are not an aid to the cause just a waste of skin. I disagree with hypocrites and see them as not worth wasting my time on with pleasantries.

That lot are not going to aid any cause, as they simply are looking for trouble. As most people are complaining about that attitude here, I think Terry is wrong including that in his post. We are fully within reason, telling a hypocrite to sod off in my book.

I agree that we need to stand together, with reasonable sane smokers>>>BUT not with the stupid cigarette smokers, who tell us that our cigars are offensive while thy have a cigarette in their mouth. Basically the ones who are not an aid to the cause just a waste of skin. I disagree with hypocrites and see them as not worth wasting my time on with pleasantries.

That lot are not going to aid any cause, as they simply are looking for trouble. As most people are complaining about that attitude here, I think Terry is wrong including that in his post. We are fully within reason, telling a hypocrite to sod off in my book.
    Thank you kindly for the clarification. The point I think that Terry was trying to make is that there are many that enjoy tobacco in many various forms & to pigeon hole others purely because of their choice of imbiding is to do the whole cause a disservice.

I am aware that many cigarette smokers are doing so purely because of habit, this does not mean that they (along with the cigar smokers or indeed pipe smokers) should be discriminated against. As users of tobacco, we et al need to fight the ridiculous bureaucracy that is sending us all broke. Why? Because we are doing something we enjoy & that is more & more frowned upon in this so called "free" society. That as I see it is a travesty in the free world.

Thank you kindly for the clarification. The point I think that Terry was trying to make is that there are many that enjoy tobacco in many various forms & to pigeon hole others purely because of their choice of imbiding is to do the whole cause a disservice.

I am aware that many cigarette smokers are doing so purely because of habit, this does not mean that they (along with the cigar smokers or indeed pipe smokers) should be discriminated against. As users of tobacco, we et al need to fight the ridiculous bureaucracy that is sending us all broke. Why? Because we are doing something we enjoy & that is more & more frowned upon in this so called "free" society. That as I see it is a travesty in the free world.
    My point is it is not the choice of smoking that gets them criticised here but the hypocracy of telling us not to smoke, when they are smoking a cigarette. They are not allies to any smoker. That type of moron is more a hindrance, since stupidity is something that we do not need attaching to our cause. That is not pigeon holing cigarette smokers just arse holes

People are in my book, allowed to tell those hypocrites to go to hell and should not be told they are valuable to our cause and therefore not told to go to hell, when they clearly need to be told that. That is simply Terry pigeon holing pipe and cigar smokers here as having a beef with all cigarette smokers.

My point is it is not the choice of smoking that gets them criticised here but the hypocracy of telling us not to smoke, when they are smoking a cigarette. They are not allies to any smoker. That type of moron is more a hindrance, since stupidity is something that we do not need attaching to our cause. That is not pigeon holing cigarette smokers just arse holes

People are in my book, allowed to tell those hypocrites to go to hell and should not be told they are valuable to our cause and therefore not told to go to hell, when they clearly need to be told that. That is simply Terry pigeon holing pipe and cigar smokers here as having a beef with all cigarette smokers.
    Ummm....Terry has been enjoying cigars for years & I think you may find there are more cigarette smokers here than they admit to, it is a nicotine based forum after all. Be wary how you judge others mate, it may just see you sidelined yourself as irrelevant.

As far as holier than thou cigarette smokers go I agree, they can go screw themselves, along with those that are arrogant cigar smokers.

Ummm....Terry has been enjoying cigars for years & I think you may find there are more cigarette smokers here than they admit to, it is a nicotine based forum after all. Be wary how you judge others mate, it may just see you sidelined yourself as irrelevant.

As far as holier than thou cigarette smokers go I agree, they can go screw themselves.
    I love people who refuse to understand the point when layed before them.

Cigarette smokers here are NOT being criticised for smoking whatever they want. Those among their ranks, who are being hypocites (telling pipe and cigar smokers not to smoke when they themselves are smoking a cigarette) are being criticised.

If any one here does not agree that is hypocritical(ie telling others not to smoke when they are doing it themselves) they clearly need a dictionary. As to my judgement it is valid. Remember Terry judged pipe and cigar smokers as hating on all cigarette smokers first. I simply clarified, his pigeon holing that group.

OK. Your point has been acknowledged. I shall now wander off to bed being that it is late here & I cannot be bothered thinking anymore. Thankyou for putting your points forward & I shall keep them in mind when I next think on the worldwide fight that ALL tobacco partakers face against the onslaught from those that think we are the devil incarnate, et al.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast