Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

NY Cigarette Piracy

This is a discussion on NY Cigarette Piracy within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Interesting article on taxes precipitating piracy: NYACS Responds to Cigarette Smuggling Report Cigarette tax rates by state (NY highest): http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/cigarette.pdf ...

NY Cigarette Piracy

Interesting article on taxes precipitating piracy:

NYACS Responds to Cigarette Smuggling Report

Cigarette tax rates by state (NY highest):

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/cigarette.pdf

& "non-cigarette" tobacco tax rates:

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/otp.pdf
    NY is high, but not the highest; VA is nice and low.

Re: NY Cigarette Piracy

Man, I got so shocked and upset at the idea that people would actually break the law for tobacco that I almost dropped my PSD4...
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Man, I got so shocked and upset at the idea that people would actually break the law for tobacco that I almost dropped my PSD4...
    You owe me new underwear.....that sir was freakin hilarious!!

The law makes criminals of us all!

Oregon's a little high in the taxes department, no surprise.

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

does that include for personal consumption when they are calling it smuggling?

IMHO NY as well as many other states have bigger fish to fry...but tobacco is an easy target.

Quote Originally Posted by OnePyroTec View Post
    does that include for personal consumption when they are calling it smuggling?

IMHO NY as well as many other states have bigger fish to fry...but tobacco is an easy target.
    Like trans fat, sugary beverages over 16 oz., etc.?

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    My first beer in a week i laughed so hard i spit a mouthful out!
    That was funny thanks for the laugh!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Full grown Puffer Fish SystemError's Avatar

Don't you guys get it, the government knows what is best for us, embrace the all mighty power!

Newbie in the ocean

There are different types of rule and regulations in different country. The smoker dose not care about that because these ordinance are not most effective- so they break the rules.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes brimy623's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SystemError View Post
    Don't you guys get it, the government knows what is best for us, embrace the all mighty power!
    They just pose it that way! I think everyone knows that they DON'T care that much and are hoping that we continue to smoke so that they can generate more tax revenue!!! Really, how many people STOPPED smoking because of the taxes?!?! There are just too many ways around it.
    And as you can see, the taxes here in NY darn near DOUBLE whatever I decide to smoke!
    I might have to start smoking pot!!

lol, that's why I left the entire state. It's likely only going to get worse.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

When I was smoking cigarettes I would never buy from NY state let alone NYC, friggin $10+/pack. NJ is outrageous enough at $7.50/pack on the average. Every time I would go to DE for work I would load up on several cartons at less than $40/carton and when I would visit my family in upstate NY I always made a reservation run. Hell no the Indians aren't going to stop selling them tax free! Its a no brainer for them. They can inflate the cost making their profit double of any competition yet still sell for less than half the price of the same competition. Its really big business
    for them with a full parking lot anytime and any day of the week with the register always having a line going out the door. I would always get the limit they allowed of 10 cartons at $28/carton.