Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Internet Sales Tax Bill

This is a discussion on Internet Sales Tax Bill within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by bundy81881 Is this something that will tax transactions across state lines? I haven't quite been able to ...

Re: Internet Sales Tax Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bundy81881 View Post
    Is this something that will tax transactions across state lines? I haven't quite been able to get a straight answer on this. Or will it just tax for transactions in your state if you and the seller are in the same border?
    It is designed to tax across state lines. Currently they are only required to collect sales tax if the buyer and the seller are in the same state. Legally the buyer still owes it, but the seller doesn't have to collect it in interstate transactions.
    I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. Kenneth Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked_Rhube View Post
    I disagree, as large retailers are just as online as anyone else IMO.
    They are. They aren't very good at it though. They stick to outdated business models and pricing structures. They don't object to online sales, they object mostly to more streamlined businesses that can sell for less, because they don't have a huge expensive infrastructure and aren't paying their top executives ridiculous salaries. This is of course a generalization. There are some large retailers that do not fit this description.
    I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. Kenneth Clark

No longer a community member.

[QUOTE=Wicked_Rhube;3845464]
    They say this will "level the playing field", as if the sales tax is the only or major thing making life tough on brick and mortar retailers. QUOTE]

This is what I see being the major problem surrounding this issue- they are BSing something that doesn't need to be BSed. In other words they should call a spade and spade and simply say that states are trying to get the sales taxes that are rightfully theirs in order to maintain there revenue. I'm not sure why it needs to be dressed up as something it is not. The only thing I can think is that people recoil at the idea of any additional taxation but it doesn't occur to them that this will simply offset an increase in their state's income tax (for the time being at least).

Young Fish

It seems to me that this would fit somewhere in the legislating interstate commerce clauses in much the same way that the (so-called) Affordable Healthcare Act does, and should therefore be unconstitutional (in the same way).

Young Puffer Fish Anthony Johnson's Avatar

My son wanted to buy a ps3 video game online a few weeks ago, and asked me about the tax. I told him there is no online tax, but give em time. That was some interesting timing... All though I'm fiscal conservative, a lot of online base companies have been getting away without having a store front and so many extra bills it's not funny. What kills it for the consumer, is the fact of shipping rates being as high as it is. It's all passed down to the consumer either way. Lucky for me, I have a Jr's Mega store 20 minutes down the road!
    If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish djsmiles's Avatar

On cigar related topic, this will not bode well for me. You can say, "Well, just support your local B&M!!!" My local B&M is 45 minutes away. And doesn't carry all my favorites. I have to go online for that.

This bill will put many small online retailers out of buisiness due to the sheer amount of paperwork and the confusion of tax codes and CPA's. Not to mention Interstate Commerce.

The .gov is over-reaching. They need to stop.
    When Tyranny Becomes Law, Rebellion Becomes Duty!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Johnson View Post
    All though I'm fiscal conservative, a lot of online base companies have been getting away without having a store front and so many extra bills it's not funny.
    While there are some online companies that have very little overhead, many of them have huge overhead. They have warehouses and shipping facilities that cost much more than a simple store front would cost. Some even have a store as well. We need to support our local stores, but let's remember that many of the online cigar shops have stores and provide jobs too. The retail business model has changed. Traditional retailers are going to have to figure out how to compete or get left behind. I'm sure that all of the Mom and Pop general stores went through the same thing when Sears first opened and started their catalog sales, changing how America shopped. Now the big retail giants are facing their own challenge. We don't all have to like it, but we might as well get used to it.

Interesting discussion y'all.

Here's the problem as I see it - the "micro" effects are going to have a big "macro" effect. The thing that keeps our economy going, such as it is, is discretionary purchases, i.e., buying things/services bcs we _want_ them, on top of the things we _need_. This is going to add a little more to the cost, 4% to 9% approximately, so it's going to make us think just a bit more before we buy. And so we're going to buy less, period. B&Ms are not going to see an increase in sales, and online sellers are going to see less. Slower economy, fewer jobs, less overall revenue for state gov'ts. We're on the wrong side of the Laffer curve.

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Bruck View Post
    B&Ms are not going to see an increase in sales, and online sellers are going to see less. Slower economy, fewer jobs, less overall revenue for state gov'ts. We're on the wrong side of the Laffer curve.
    Not sure you can completely discount a move to smaller (mom and pop type) B&M establishments.

I agree that we are or are moving to the wrong side of the laffer curve, but cannot necessarily correlate an Internet sales tax to that issue.
    The more the gubbmint tries to tax the higher earners (and job creators) the more we will see them expatriating themselves and their revenue to one of many places that are more friendly to them and their pocketbooks (Belize, Nicaragua, Bahamas, etc).

Young Puffer Fish soxnationsmoker's Avatar

Not to jump away from the "cigars being taxed" discussion but I run 3 VERY successful Ebay stores and currently am only required to collect tax from my fellow Michigan buyers. I have 2 large warehouses and there is a lot of overhead in my business. If they require us to start collecting / paying sales tax for each and every sale it will be nothing short of a headache. I agree with most that have posted under this topic that as usual the government is stretching that already oversized hand into the small guys pocket even more.

Young Fish

I am curious as to whether this will exempt resale items, or if they will be trying to double-dip by taxing in that arena (like is done with automobiles)

Y'know, the thing I find interesting about the "leveling the playing field" argument, is that nobody is saying let's lower sales taxes for B&Ms.

Here I was thinking that I already was paying sales tax online. I guess since I'm Canadian I have to pay it because when it crosses the border they apply the gst and pst. When it's only shipped across provinces maybe I don't have to pay it. Dunno the last time I bought something online from canada...

No longer a community member.

I have not seen where anyone is trying to head in this direction but try not to say that too loudly since you don't want to give anyone ideas

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin2020 View Post
    I am curious as to whether this will exempt resale items, or if they will be trying to double-dip by taxing in that arena (like is done with automobiles)
    Oh you know they will double-dip that chip!
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast