Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Internet Sales Tax Bill

This is a discussion on Internet Sales Tax Bill within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Internet sales tax bill divides Republicans, vote looms in Senate | Fox News It been a while since I been ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish denarok's Avatar

Internet Sales Tax Bill

Internet sales tax bill divides Republicans, vote looms in Senate | Fox News

It been a while since I been here but I saw this and has me concerned not even just for buying cigars but in general.

If this goes into effect then it looks like famous smokes, and CI will have to start collecting tax say since I am in NY, the NY tax of cigars and then send it back to the NY state.

Which will really suck because then I can no longer afford to buy cigars too much.

Full grown Puffer Fish Livin' Legend's Avatar

Re: Internet Sales Tax Bill

"Look, the economy is kinda sorta picking up again. Let's see how hard we can poke it before it collapses again!"

Young Fish

This bill, should it pass fully will be the death of the small Internet retailer. Not just of cigars, but in general.
    Large companies already charge taxes (if they have a physical premises in the state), so it will not affect them.

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that this is for "sales" tax, not tobacco tax, meals tax, excise tax, tanning bed tax, etc. If that is the case then I will end up paying an extra 6.25%, which won't kill me since CI, Famous, et al are so much less than I'd pay locally in MA. If this includes the tobacco tax though, I might go join a militia or something!!!
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Full grown Puffer Fish Livin' Legend's Avatar

To be fair, there's apparently an exemption for retailers who make less than $1 million per year, so if anything it might help the micro retailer a bit. What it doesn't help at all is consumers. They can argue all day long that we were actually required to pay sales tax all along, but the fact is we'll be paying something we didn't pay before, and the added cost of what you just know will be a pain in the nuts process of calculating and paying all these taxes will result in raised costs and higher prices. I'd be interested to know how many companies make just over $1 million who would be severely affected by this new money grab.

Young Fish

Really it is all the more reason to support your local privately owned B&M.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked_Rhube View Post
    I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that this is for "sales" tax, not tobacco tax, meals tax, excise tax, tanning bed tax, etc. If that is the case then I will end up paying an extra 6.25%, which won't kill me since CI, Famous, et al are so much less than I'd pay locally in MA. If this includes the tobacco tax though, I might go join a militia or something!!!
    I'm not sure what your talking about Rhube. You will now be paying sales tax for most everything bought ONLINE.

Rather it be shampoo, dog food or cigars.

Some companies didn't collect it before and it was up to the individual to report it in come tax season. People weren't reporting it in so the states decided that in order to get their money, they will just force companies to charge the consumer tax to make sure the state gets it tax money.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin2020 View Post
    This bill, should it pass fully will be the death of the small Internet retailer. Not just of cigars, but in general.
    Large companies already charge taxes (if they have a physical premises in the state), so it will not affect them.
    Personally, I think this is the primary reason for this legislation. The States want their tax money but I'd be willing to bet that the real power behind it is the large retailer. Large retailers have been whining about online competition for years. They'd rather legislate the competition out of business than actually become competitive.
    I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. Kenneth Clark

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelMorris View Post
    Personally, I think this is the primary reason for this legislation. The States want their tax money but I'd be willing to bet that the real power behind it is the large retailer. Large retailers have been whining about online competition for years. They'd rather legislate the competition out of business than actually become competitive.
    Agreed. Rather than deal with competition, get your political cronies to legislate your competition out of business.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

Do we have any billionaires here that want to poke at (BUY) some of the legislators so this doesnt go through??? I mean, isnt that how our wonderful Government works anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    I'm not sure what your talking about Rhube. You will now be paying sales tax for most everything bought ONLINE.

Rather it be shampoo, dog food or cigars.

Some companies didn't collect it before and it was up to the individual to report it in come tax season. People weren't reporting it in so the states decided that in order to get their money, they will just force companies to charge the consumer tax to make sure the state gets it tax money.
    I get all that, I was simply relating it to cigars and stating that it will only be a 6.25% increase for me, still several dollars per smoke less than buying in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, where a tax specifically on cigars could still be skipped by buying online.
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelMorris View Post
    I disagree, as large retailers are just as online as anyone else IMO.

Maturing Puffer Fish bundy81881's Avatar

Is this something that will tax transactions across state lines? I haven't quite been able to get a straight answer on this. Or will it just tax for transactions in your state if you and the seller are in the same border?

Quote Originally Posted by bundy81881 View Post
    Is this something that will tax transactions across state lines? I haven't quite been able to get a straight answer on this. Or will it just tax for transactions in your state if you and the seller are in the same border?
    My understanding:
    Currently a retailer must collect sales tax for online purchases if and only if that retailer has a brick and mortar establishment in the state where the sale occurs. So take Famous or CI, both in Pennsylvania right? If I buy cigars from them they do not charge me sales tax because I live in Massachusetts and they do not have a shop / office / warehouse in my state. Take Amazon for another example, if I buy my kid a toy through them I pay no sales tax because Amazon has no B&M establishment here either.

Once this law goes through Amazon will charge all online purchase the sales tax according to the state where the purchaser is. All retailers with over a million dollars of sales annually will now be required to collect the sales tax for each state, regardless of where the retailer is located.

They say this will "level the playing field", as if the sales tax is the only or major thing making life tough on brick and mortar retailers. I have no problem with the states collecting what is theirs (ours), but I think this is not the big answer to saving mom and pop shops across America. Look at it this way; if I need / want to buy a $100 item I can buy it online and even with sales tax it will cost me $106.25, I'm an Amazon Prime member so I'm getting free shipping. lets say I could drive to a local store and buy it for the same price (not likely taking economies of scale into account) and it costs me $106.25, but I also drove 10 miles each way, which in my F-150 at $3.59 a gallon costs me more than if I just order it online. There are a s#!t ton of variables that are hurting the main street shops around all of us, and in my opinion collecting internet sales tax will do little to cure their ills.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

@Wicked_Rhube I agree completely with your train of thought on this one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast