Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Californians: This will affect you...

This is a discussion on Californians: This will affect you... within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; There is a senate bill going through the California legislature that would increase the sales tax on tobacco, cigars included. ...

Californians: This will affect you...

There is a senate bill going through the California legislature that would increase the sales tax on tobacco, cigars included. They are slowly making cigars impossible to smoke with incremental taxes and so-forth. If you could write your state senator and tell them to oppose the tax increase, all the better.

The Cigar Rights of America is sponsoring this campaign.

The web page for the sample letter is on Cigar Rights of America. I can't post the link because I don't have enough messages here to get that privilege. Look for California Senate Bill 768 on CRA.

Thank you for you help, and spread the word.

-Jim

Re: Californians: This will affect you...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish 09FXSTB's Avatar

I sent my letter.
    Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn't be here, 80 are targets, 9 are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, but 1 is a warrior, and he will save the others.

Thank you, Isaac for posting the link.

Hey Jake, (and all who read this) I am wondering if you got a response from your senator. I believe it is Jim Beall (?). I sent the email to my senator, Marty Block. He replied the next day with a form letter asking me to access his web page and fill out a form email describing why I wished to contact him. I filled out the form and submitted it. That was 3 days ago. I haven't heard back...

I am going to follow up with Senator Block. I will give him 7 days to respond.

I just sent my letters. Hopefully they will listen.
    I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. Kenneth Clark

Newbie in the ocean

I don't understand why they want to tax things that we enjoy. It affects no one but us, why try to deter us from enjoying.

Puffer Fish with many spikes tnlawyer's Avatar

Just one of the many reasons I'd never live in California. Good luck to you guys though. Hopefully the elected officials will listen and rethink the tax increase.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain

Small fish in a big pond

Screw them and all there taxes, I will just continue to buy online,which is great for me but not so great for the local b&m, but he's a price gouger anyway so oh well.

Disinterested

Such a beautiful state, but such misguided government. Saddest part is, it's ALWAYS been that way...

A Puffer not a Fighter Johnny Z's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    Such a beautiful state, but such misguided government. Saddest part is, it's ALWAYS been that way...
    But it's never been worse! It's a beautiful, oppressive state. I grew up here, and at some point I realized that you pay a premium for having forrest, flatland, desert, beach, and city... that premium is your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    Just one of the many reasons I'd never live in California. Good luck to you guys though. Hopefully the elected officials will listen and rethink the tax increase.
    Our current Gov. didn't work the first time around... but we thought we'd try him again. These people VOTE for the highest taxes they can get.

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyTheCigar View Post
    I don't understand why they want to tax things that we enjoy. It affects no one but us, why try to deter us from enjoying.
    Because they're like NANNY'S! They actually think that they can think for you better than you think for yourself. We should feel insulted.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchjim View Post
    There is a senate bill going through the California legislature that would increase the sales tax on tobacco, cigars included. They are slowly making cigars impossible to smoke with incremental taxes and so-forth. If you could write your state senator and tell them to oppose the tax increase, all the better.

The Cigar Rights of America is sponsoring this campaign.

The web page for the sample letter is on Cigar Rights of America. I can't post the link because I don't have enough messages here to get that privilege. Look for California Senate Bill 768 on CRA.

Thank you for you help, and spread the word.

-Jim
    You're the MAN, Jim! Thank you for posting this!

I wrote my congresscritter a few months ago about cigar rights. The response was he'd "look into it." No further response.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast