Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Your smoking/smokers' rights update...

This is a discussion on Your smoking/smokers' rights update... within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; And here I thought I had already pointed fingers at California. Guess I passed up the earlier opportunity. In CA ...

Re: Your smoking/smokers' rights update...

And here I thought I had already pointed fingers at California. Guess I passed up the earlier opportunity.

In CA (Just as it's to be in OR) - January 1, 2008, smoking in a moving vehicle while in the presence of a minor (18 years or younger) is an infraction; the charge is not serious enough to be pulled over, and only can be cited along with a stricter offense, such as a moving violation or traffic accident
    -City of Belmont, October 9, 2007, banned in parks and other public places, as well as inside apartments and condominiums
    -Marin County, May 23, 2012 banned in all condos and apartments, as well as all patios within residential units. Anyone caught smoking will face a $100 fine and will be sentenced to five community day services. A second offense warrants a $300 fine and ten community day services, and a third offense being $700 fine and fifteen community day services. Landlords may opt out of smoking restrictions by designating 20 percent of their units reserved for smoking and may permit e-cigarettes to be used inside apartments and condos. All other outdoor areas, including bar and restaurant patios, and private homes that are not of multi-unit residences and smoking in cars are exempt from the ban.
    -City of Berkeley, March 26, 2008, banned on all commercially zoned sidewalks, and within 20 feet (6.1 m) of a bus stop
    -Loma Linda, July 25, 2008 banned on all sidewalks, streets, common areas in shopping centers, bus stops, parks, restaurant patios, theaters, City Hall, and 80% of motel rooms and apartment units. Exempts the federally controlled VA hospital grounds, and smoking in cars traveling in the city.

If my tax dollars go to parks, then I want to be able to enjoy a stick and watch the sunset. If I can't enjoy myself at a park, then why am I paying for it?
    If I pay $275k for a studio condo, I want to be able to sit on the patio and enjoy a stick.

Get a load of some of the restrictions around the country
    List of smoking bans in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But if the cost of never having to smell cigarette smoke, and more importantly, never have my children exposed to it when we're going about our business is to ban all smoking in public indiscriminately- I'm okay with that.
    Then we've already lost. I fail to see how me enjoying a pipe in the middle of a park or a designated smoking area in an indoor facility with proper air filtering rightfully bothers anyone. I'm curious. Why are you concerned with your children never being exposed to smoke? If you buy that second hand smoke is lethal or dangerous, then you must buy that third hand smoke (i.e. residue on clothes, hair, skin, walls, etc) from you is lethal or dangerous to them.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoB View Post
    No they don't include your private residences (yet). I live in the Atlanta metro area, and all the counties here (Fulton, DeKalb, Gwinnett, Cobb, etc) have similar restrictive outdoor bans.
    In New York City they do!
    Many that live in Apartments they have purchased or rented are unable to smoke in their residences!
    That being said smoking in America are like Gun ownership the rights may be challenged but never totally abolished.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nothing View Post
    If my tax dollars go to parks, then I want to be able to enjoy a stick and watch the sunset. If I can't enjoy myself at a park, then why am I paying for it?
    If I pay $275k for a studio condo, I want to be able to sit on the patio and enjoy a stick.
    My tax dollars pay for all sorts of things, but there are parameters to there use. I'm sure I would enjoy having a few beers cooking out at the city park, but alcohol is not allowed on city park property, and I completely understand why. I wouldn't say I no longer desire to fund them since I cannot imbibe there.
    I agree with you 100% regarding the condo however. If I pay $500 a month rent I feel I should be able to smoke within my domicile.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoB View Post
    Then we've already lost. I fail to see how me enjoying a pipe in the middle of a park or a designated smoking area in an indoor facility with proper air filtering rightfully bothers anyone. I'm curious. Why are you concerned with your children never being exposed to smoke? If you buy that second hand smoke is lethal or dangerous, then you must buy that third hand smoke (i.e. residue on clothes, hair, skin, walls, etc) from you is lethal or dangerous to them.
    I'm not going to engage in this debate because I can tell that you are very skewed in your bias simply by the way you present this reasoning. It is very basic to understand the difference between chemical compounds that are inhaled as smoke and residual dry compounds that may remain after smoke has abated. Honestly, I think part of the problem with the perspective you present is that you have formulated an "us vs. them" mentality. It is evident in the way you say "we" have already lost. Attempting to find middle grounds for coexistence with the rest of society is not a war, it is a responsibility for all citizens within an interdependent dichotomy.

That said, I'm bowing out of this one gentlemen. As I sure you can tell, I enjoy a rigorous debate , but I enjoy the absence of such on these forums even more. I hope all of us can enjoy our tobacco wherever we are this evening.
    Last edited by Tobias Lutz; 06-06-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: terrible spelling

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish RupturedDuck's Avatar

Not having done the research, I've always wondered how the second hand smoke from someone smoking outside can be more dangerous than say, vehicular exhaust fumes, open gas cans, new asphalt, etc.

I understand how a person may believe Pipe or Cigar smoking to be more enjoyable than cigarette smoking. I cannot, however, understand how anyone could think that Pipe or Cigar smoking should be treated differently under the law than cigarette smoking.

RD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2