Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Your smoking/smokers' rights update...

This is a discussion on Your smoking/smokers' rights update... within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; ...

Your smoking/smokers' rights update...

The mods may move this thread, and if that's necessary then that's fine. But I think pipe smokers specifically need to hear about these things. How many pipe smokers enjoy a bowl in the car or with a cup of coffee? If you don't get involved you may not be able to for long:

In Oregon you can be cited if you smoke in your car with a child present:
    Lighting Up With Children in Car Banned by Oregon Smoking Law

Starbucks doesn't want your business even if it is legal to smoke outside of one:
    Starbucks to forbid smoking within 25 feet of its stores | Fox News

Heartened by all the pipe smoking in movies lately? The UN isn't:
    World Health Organizationís Continuing Attempts to Usurp American Sovereignty | RedState

I didn't start this thread to start a political debate or have a "you should vote for these guys" argument, so please don't go there. I just wanted to inform fellow pipers of some of the latest moves against people that enjoy tobacco, because I think we tend to avoid things like this. We turn to our briars to escape it. But I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that sooner or later our own homes wouldn't be a safe haven for smoking (and if you live in an apartment that's already the case for many). If this gets political it should only be to encourage each other to get involved. Pay attention to the news for smoking/tobacco items, join the CRA (CRA - Cigar Rights of America | Home) and CTR (http://www.tobaccorights.com/ctr/advocacy/default.aspx); and from your local city councilman or small business on up to your senator and large corporations - make your voice heard!

Re: Your smoking/smokers' rights update...

I'm in Oregon so saw that one go through. They move that bill very quickly. IMO, it's one of those "no brainer" things. I don't know a cigar or pipe smoker that would smoke with a child in the car. However, not to point fingers, I do see it a lot with cigarette smokers. It's unfortunate. In the end, because of the nanny state, this can only lead to more legislation against smoking.

I also saw the one about Starbucks. All I could thing about is this image (and countless other similar cigars-in-starbucks images). I've never been a fan of the place (despite growing up in seattle)

I love that pic

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Meh.

We're less than 1% of all tobacco smokers - easily. There's no use pretending that all of this isn't entirely about cigarettes. And screw cigarettes, they're awful and they're killers. People back in the day should have never started inhaling tobacco. Yes, it absolutely sucks that pipers get lumped in with cancer stick fiends and addicts, but that's life. Craft beer connoisseurs have to abide by the same puritanical, nonsensical Blue Laws that were brought about by the temperance movements' response to stinkin' drunks. That's life.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Disinterested

While you've tailored this to pipers, it still adresses the legal and political agressions upon our sport. I'm therefore moving it to the tobacco legislation forum.

As ever, let's make sure we don't step over the line into politics.

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    Craft beer connoisseurs have to abide by the same puritanical, nonsensical Blue Laws that were brought about by the temperance movements' response to stinkin' drunks. That's life.
    Ironic, since Carrie Nation wanted everybody drinking beer! (Instead of hard liquor.)
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoB View Post
    Starbucks doesn't want your business even if it is legal to smoke outside of one:
    Starbucks to forbid smoking within 25 feet of its stores | Fox News
    I'm not sure how this one is to be enforced when many of their stores are in "strip-malls" where 10' from their door is not even included in their lease?

I agree with drastic_quench though, this is entirely about cigarette smokers, not pipe or cigar smokers. I think it is a little early to get overly concerned about bans on our products (or even stiffer regulation), but you are certainly right to suggest that cigar and pipe smokers should stay abreast of developments and voice their opinions to the powers that be. Of course this is really true for anything that is of importance to you, but unfortunately apathy is the calling card of this generation.

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

Notice in that pic, neither of the cigars are lit... I call b00shyt.

I don't go to Starbucks. I've no interest in their over priced, burnt tasting coffee. And FTR, I'd also never fire up a cigar in a restaurant regardless of whether if was legal or not. It's just too damn inconsiderate IMO to drown someone else in my smoke... and if you ask me, lots of the recent legislation against smoking is directly the result of horribly inconsiderate cigarette smokers. This is not to say that all cigarette smokers are inconsiderate, but a heck of a lot of them are.

I also don't wander around smoking either pipes or cigars. Any smoking I do is either in my shop, on my property or in my yard. Any government goon that tells me I can't do that will be ignored. ... unless they choose to push it. But that's another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    I agree with drastic_quench though, this is entirely about cigarette smokers, not pipe or cigar smokers. I think it is a little early to get overly concerned about bans on our products (or even stiffer regulation), but you are certainly right to suggest that cigar and pipe smokers should stay abreast of developments and voice their opinions to the powers that be. Of course this is really true for anything that is of importance to you, but unfortunately apathy is the calling card of this generation.
    I concur with your statement, though I'm getting worried that innumerable agencies and groups are now targeting cigars. I think we must get involved in dealing with incremental rules and laws, all with one purpose: Cessation (eventual) of cigar smoking.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Just1ce's Avatar

Though sometimes we can see certain legislation as being "reasonable" we need to be very careful in allowing certain things to pass. I could care less about starbucks as they have no ability to infringe upon my ability to smoke a cigar, but joining the CRA or CTR is a good step to ensuring that we are all able to not only enjoy our cigars/pipes but also AFFORD them as well. There are a lot of people in high places that "disapprove" of our enjoyment of tobacco and I like to support those that are willing to do the legwork to combat this stuff. Tobacco is seen as the low hanging fruit with which to tax into oblivion. Cigarettes are the product used to spearhead these efforts, but pipe tobacco and cigars are lumped in with it and thrown under the bus.

I have to say I'm shocked and disappointed at some of what I'm hearing here. I'd like to address a few of those things individually.

There's no use pretending that all of this isn't entirely about cigarettes. And screw cigarettes, they're awful and they're killers. People back in the day should have never started inhaling tobacco. Yes, it absolutely sucks that pipers get lumped in with cancer stick fiends and addicts, but that's life. Craft beer connoisseurs have to abide by the same puritanical, nonsensical Blue Laws that were brought about by the temperance movements' response to stinkin' drunks. That's life.
    Vilifying cigarettes or the people that enjoy them won't get you anywhere. We need those folks to help. And no, it isn't all about cigarettes. Municipalities very rarely make exceptions, and then its usually just for cigars so the big wigs can still enjoy them. In the eyes of the anti-tobacco zealots they and the product they use are no different that cigar or pipe smokers. And comparing the anti-tobacco movement to the temperance movement isn't appropriate. We already fought that war. They lost and we won. Most of what's left are common sense laws and regulations, with some still worth debating (like 21 year drinking age) or some that are gone or soon on their way out (Sunday blue laws). Hell, alcohol was once considered a detriment to health and now all we hear is how good moderate consumption is for you. Despite the fact that they claim to be trying to protect people's health the anti-tobacco activists are careful never to suggest or enact a prohibition for tobacco. They know the effects that would have (and would hate to lose the tax revenue). Instead they chip away at our rights to make, advertise, buy, use and enjoy tobacco, all the while spreading falsehoods about research and painting us as addicts or fools. All this occurs because we let it.

I think it is a little early to get overly concerned about bans on our products (or even stiffer regulation)
    Really? Two of the metro counties where I live recently passed outdoor smoking bans. I can start a fire with charcoal or wood at my local park, but I can't light a pipe. In one county the penalty for smoking in a park is $1000 fine or jail time. In another it is illegal to smoke in line at an outdoor ATM. And how's this: "Mayor Michael Bloomberg proposed legislation Monday that would prohibit citywide retailers from showing tobacco products". No need for tin art or cigar band art. A lot harder to reach new customers if they can't see your product, and a lot harder to stay in business. This is already happening in other countries.

I guess I fixate on it too much, but I see a very bleak future for people that enjoy tobacco in any form based on what's going on. And it seems like most cigar/pipe smokers are content to let it happen or can't be bothered to get involved. I hope I'm wrong.

Really? Two of the metro counties where I live recently passed outdoor smoking bans.
    Do these include private residences (like sitting on your porch or standing on your lawn)? Or are they bans against smoking in outdoor public areas (parks, shopping center parking lots, etc)? Not being familiar with where you live I don't really know how to go about looking this up.

Do these include private residences (like sitting on your porch or standing on your lawn)? Or are they bans against smoking in outdoor public areas (parks, shopping center parking lots, etc)? Not being familiar with where you live I don't really know how to go about looking this up.

"What's the law now? You can only smoke in your apartment, under a blanket, with all the lights out? Is that the rule now, huh?!" - Dennis Leary

No they don't include your private residences (yet). I live in the Atlanta metro area, and all the counties here (Fulton, DeKalb, Gwinnett, Cobb, etc) have similar restrictive outdoor bans.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nothing View Post
    "What's the law now? You can only smoke in your apartment, under a blanket, with all the lights out? Is that the rule now, huh?!" - Dennis Leary
    Leary is hilarious

No they don't include your private residences (yet). I live in the Atlanta metro area, and all the counties here (Fulton, DeKalb, Gwinnett, Cobb, etc) have similar restrictive outdoor bans.
    This is where I suppose I might differ from some. I appreciate the idea of the "slippery-slope" argument, but I don't believe it holds much water in making decisions regarding laws like this. I can only speak for myself, but I have no issue with a ban on outdoor smoking in parks, parking lots, walking malls, etc. Do I think pipe smoke is generally palatable- I hope so, I smoke a couple bowls a day. But if the cost of never having to smell cigarette smoke, and more importantly, never have my children exposed to it when we're going about our business is to ban all smoking in public indiscriminately- I'm okay with that. I agree completely that a ban on smoking on your own property would be ridiculous, and I realize some will take the ball of a "public" ban and try to run in that direction. I also know that you don't legislate out of the fear of what may eventually come to fruition. You legislate using reason and you simply must trust that reason will prevail if the pendulum attempts to swing too far to the extreme. Without trying to open a whole other can of worms, I will offer this example. I support background checks, I also support private gun ownership. I do not fear the loss of the later simply because legislation exists mandating the former. All this said- who the hell really knows what will happen- Washington in particular went mad a long time ago and I'm sure the insanity is slowly dripping down to the state and local level.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast