Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

The worse place to be a smoker in the US

This is a discussion on The worse place to be a smoker in the US within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by tnlawyer Wonder how long it will be before some a-hole complains and it's taken away... I'm praying ...

  
  1. #16

    Maturing Puffer Fish tosis's Avatar


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    Quote Originally Posted by tnlawyer View Post
    Wonder how long it will be before some a-hole complains and it's taken away...
    I'm praying to the tobacco gods that never happens. As of right now, it's the only place I can smoke a stogie indoors.
    Close, but no Cigar.

  2. #17

    Puffer Fish with many spikes tnlawyer's Avatar


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    Quote Originally Posted by tosis View Post
    I'm praying to the tobacco gods that never happens. As of right now, it's the only place I can smoke a stogie indoors.
    Tell the guy who works there that John from Tennessee says hello and that I'm enjoying the lower prices out here
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain

  3. #18

    Joe beercritic's Avatar


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    Not to gloat, but Kentucky is pretty sweet.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

  4. #19

    Leading Puffer Fish Merovius's Avatar


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    In California you go outside, problem solved. In Minnesota you feeeze your ass off.

    I gotta say that the worst places are northern climates that dip below 30. Id go even further to say that the Northwest (Seattle) is probably the worst with its constant rain. Ever try to smoke a cigar in misty rain when its 40 out? Not a pleasant experience, just lots of frustration.

    I understand this about anti smoking laws but I just wanted to offer a healthy dose of perspective. Hopefully it makes you feel a bit better.
    Last edited by Merovius; 12-17-2013 at 11:10 PM.

  5. #20

    Newbie in the ocean


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    New York City is by far the worst, Total smoking bans even outside, highest tobacco taxes.

  6. #21

    Maturing Puffer Fish Hiroshiro's Avatar


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    Santa Monica and Long Beach pretty much banned smoking. It is illegal to smoke inside your apartment or anywhere outside. If your house is tooclose to your neighbor's it is not allowed either and your neighbors can call the cops on you

  7. #22

    Puffer Fish with many spikes LGHT's Avatar


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    Yeah I lived on the west side in Century City for years and saw it coming. Bottom line is not matter what happens non-smokers will always have the votes so it's just a matter of time before the rest of the cities take notice and try and do "the right thing".

  8. #23

    Maturing Puffer Fish Myrddwn's Avatar


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    I live in Salt Lake City, Utah, and yeah, it's not exactly smoker friendly. Or drinker friendly, either. The laws here are pretty darn restricting, but considering the dangers of second hand smoke, I don't object. What I DO mind is that sales have to be Face to Face, which means no internet orders. Well, sometimes a little civil disobedience is called for. Especially considering the 83% tax rate on tobacco...
    What cheeses me off the most is the hypocrisy of the state GOP legislature. They rant about Big Government and the Nanny State making decisions for us, about how restricting the size of sodas, but in the next breath insist they know best when it comes to moral decisions like devil rum and tobacco.
    So I buy my sticks where I deem best, and smoke in my own yard, my garage in the winter, my back deck, and even my front porch; with no shame.

  9. #24

    Straight outta Sunnyvale thechasm442's Avatar


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    I'm in the Chicago area and it's bad. High taxes and very anti-smoking laws. You have to be outside and away from doors everywhere in Illinois except for select B&M's and smoking lounges/hookah bars. For 3-5 months out of the year you either freeze or avoid cigars.

  10. #25

    Evolving Lead Puffer Fish McFortner's Avatar


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    Quote Originally Posted by thechasm442 View Post
    I'm in the Chicago area and it's bad. High taxes and very anti-smoking laws. You have to be outside and away from doors everywhere in Illinois except for select B&M's and smoking lounges/hookah bars. For 3-5 months out of the year you either freeze or avoid cigars.
    You know they do that just to make Al Bundy's life even more miserable than it already is.

    Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
    (An Eastern Orthodox prayer. I need all the help I can get right now....)

  11. #26

    Straight outta Sunnyvale thechasm442's Avatar


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    hahahaha

    I love Al Bundy

  12. #27

    Puffer Fish with some spikes Spankmeister's Avatar


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    Not to get off topic, but look at all Al Bundy's hair! At first I thought it was Bon Jovi.

  13. #28

    Pipe'in Aint Easy


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    I live in Washington and I think it rivals New York for ludicrous tobacco laws.

    It's illegal to smoke indoors anywhere for the most part, your own home exempt obviously.
    It's illegal to smoke in your car if there are children under 18 present. (I don't disagree with this law, just stating it)
    It's illegal to smoke inside a cigar shop or lounge unless you apply for the proper permits (which always get turned down). There are 3 local cigar and pipe shops that lost their smoking lounges and the state refuses to allow them to re-open.
    You can't smoke in "any public area" which includes parks, sidewalks, and 25 feet within any door. So if you want to smoke outside it better be on your property or in the middle of the street, 25 feet away from doorways.
    Sin tax is outrageous, A pack of cigarettes is 12-17 bucks, a tin of frog morton after tax is 27 bucks, and a budget cigar a la Macanudo will be 10-15 bucks after tax.
    It is illegal to ship or receive loose leaf tobacco by mail. Making it a felony if I mail order pipe tobacco. Punishable up to a $10,000 fine and 5 years in prison.

  14. #29

    Puffer Fish with many spikes LGHT's Avatar


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    Quote Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
    It is illegal to ship or receive loose leaf tobacco by mail. Making it a felony if I mail order pipe tobacco. Punishable up to a $10,000 fine and 5 years in prison.
    Wow I didn't know about that loose leaf law!! I wonder if they are trying to cut out people willing to roll there own cigars or something?

  15. #30

    Young Fish Benton629's Avatar


     

    Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

    Quote Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
    I live in Washington and I think it rivals New York for ludicrous tobacco laws.

    It's illegal to smoke indoors anywhere for the most part, your own home exempt obviously.
    It's illegal to smoke in your car if there are children under 18 present. (I don't disagree with this law, just stating it)
    It's illegal to smoke inside a cigar shop or lounge unless you apply for the proper permits (which always get turned down). There are 3 local cigar and pipe shops that lost their smoking lounges and the state refuses to allow them to re-open.
    You can't smoke in "any public area" which includes parks, sidewalks, and 25 feet within any door. So if you want to smoke outside it better be on your property or in the middle of the street, 25 feet away from doorways.
    Sin tax is outrageous, A pack of cigarettes is 12-17 bucks, a tin of frog morton after tax is 27 bucks, and a budget cigar a la Macanudo will be 10-15 bucks after tax.
    It is illegal to ship or receive loose leaf tobacco by mail. Making it a felony if I mail order pipe tobacco. Punishable up to a $10,000 fine and 5 years in prison.
    You have got to be shittin' me.

    Is it really that strict? How vigorously are these laws enforced?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •