Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The worse place to be a smoker in the US

This is a discussion on The worse place to be a smoker in the US within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Here in California is the worse by far and it keeps more restrictive every year!! It was the first state ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes LGHT's Avatar

The worse place to be a smoker in the US

Here in California is the worse by far and it keeps more restrictive every year!!

It was the first state to ban smoking state wide in all enclosed workplaces.
    Then to be more restrictive you can't smok within 20 feet of the entrance or operable window of a public building.
    smoking in a moving vehicle while in the presence of a minor is an infraction (even if your in a convertible)
    most cities including LA have already banned all smoking in all city parks
    most beachs have already banned all smoking on the beach, piers, and area that are not privately owned
    several cities have banned smoking in certain outdoor areas, including shopping malls, strip malls, and shopping centers
    in my city new townhomes and condo complexes are being built as "smoke free" because the patios are so close together
    several hotels have decided to go all smoke free and the ones that still allow smoking no longer allow you to smoke on the patio of your room and you must go to a small "designated" smoking area

The icing on the cake is now my HOA is trying to ban cigar smoking in the complex because the smoke may end up going into an open window or patio!!

Gotta love living in California!

Ok rant off...

Re: The worse place to be a smoker in the US

It does suck. Atlanta has recently designated some parks as "smoke free" zones as well. My favorite example of this is a strip of grass and trees down the middle of a residential street that was labelled a "park" with no smoking signs every hundred feet or so.

I can understand a few of the smoking bans, but the constant push toward banning smoking everywhere is absurd. If I want to enjoy a smoke in my carport I should be able to, I'm on private property after all.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Its a shame i love California! I was in San Diego a while back signs all over but no one went out of the way to enforce it. Especially by the beach and tourist areas.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Puffer Fish with many spikes pippin925's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LGHT View Post
    Here in California is the worse by far and it keeps more restrictive every year!!

several hotels have decided to go all smoke free and the ones that still allow smoking no longer allow you to smoke on the patio of your room and you must go to a small "designated" smoking area

Gotta love living in California!

Ok rant off...
    I was just in San Francisco a few weeks back and couldn't believe how restrictive the hotels were. I was in one of the hotels by the airport and during check in I asked where I could smoke and was told the designated smoking area out front. Now I travel a lot for work and some hotels are more restrictive than others, but there has always been someplace adequate to smoke. Picnic tables, gazebo, patio area, etc... But not in Cali, I walked out front looking for the smoking area and come to find it this little plexiglass structure that's fully enclosed except for a 3' wide doorway. This thing was no lie, the size of maybe two phone booths stuck together. There were already 3-4 people in there and I saw the smoke billowing out of the plastic smoke box so I passed on smoking a cigar. I came to the conclusion that California wants to kill off the smokers so they made these little plastic smoke huts to stuff all the smokers in them.

What's best is the fact that they don't want you smoking cigarettes, no cigars, no pipes. But if you light up a joint you're a hero.
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." T. Roosevelt

I just moved from California to Utah and I'm going to make the argument that Utah is worst for cigar smokers in several ways.

1.86% tax per stick based off the msrp. It always made me laugh when people would complain about B&M prices in Cali. I was always surprised how cheap they seemed compared to Utah

2.No smoking in any public building or place of business. This includes all cigar stores. In a state that has really cold winters all I can say is it sucks. I actually quit smoking cigars the last winter that I lived here. Luckily one of the B&M found a loophole. They built a smoking shed on their outdoor patio. Technically it's outside the place of business so they got around the ridiculous law. I can't wait till I can build my dream home with a man cave/smoking room built in.

Yep. Cali hates smokers. Ironically, cigarette smokers are everywhere! I think hipsters are making the push. My sister lives in Davis where it's an infraction to smoke in one place, i.e. you have to be walking while you smoke. Pretty absurd.

Puffer Fish with many spikes LGHT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pippin925 View Post

What's best is the fact that they don't want you smoking cigarettes, no cigars, no pipes. But if you light up a joint you're a hero.
    hahaha I get up to SF every once and a while and those smoking shacks are really funny. I was in downtown and was told I couldn't smoke and walked by some hippies smoking a fat joint. Cops drive right by and don't even bother with them. The funny part is the law doesn't allow any smoking unless it's for "medicinal" purposes go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by tosis View Post
    I just moved from California to Utah and I'm going to make the argument that Utah is worst for cigar smokers in several ways.

1.86% tax per stick based off the msrp. It always made me laugh when people would complain about B&M prices in Cali. I was always surprised how cheap they seemed compared to Utah

2.No smoking in any public building or place of business. This includes all cigar stores. In a state that has really cold winters all I can say is it sucks. I actually quit smoking cigars the last winter that I lived here. Luckily one of the B&M found a loophole. They built a smoking shed on their outdoor patio. Technically it's outside the place of business so they got around the ridiculous law. I can't wait till I can build my dream home with a man cave/smoking room built in.
    I am currently a resident of WA and i would have to say it is directly on par with the difficulties of Utah.
    @tosis i will be coming through for my annual christmas trip for a couple weeks and i was hoping you could light on which B&M was successful with the loophole?
    I've been searching online hoping to find something and have had quite a bit of difficulty besides finding a possibility at a place called "Beehive" cigars in SLC

Thanks man!

Puffer Fish with many spikes Arizona Dave's Avatar

Everywhere including NV and AZ. It's almost worldwide, except China.
    Would rather roll my own premium cigar from Whole leaf tobacco, than waste it on inferior blends that cost 3 to 5 times as much. More money in the bank

Disinterested

It's so ironic. I lived in Californistan for some time and never visited a metro area where I couldn't smell pot smoke on every block. Yet, there's such disdain for traditional smoking media, like cigarettes and cigars. Pipes still seemed to be fairly well tolerated, since I suppose they felt the guys smoking them were old, therefore "grandfathered" in.

Bottom line? V-O-T-E!!!! and get active in supporting YOUR rights. Trust me, the left wants to take them ALL away and allow the gubmint to regulate EvErYTHIng! The only thing they have going for them is the comfort of knowing that we'll sit on our asses and passively let them get away with it all.

Caveat: This is about as political as this thread's going to be allowed to be, so be sure you THINK before you post.

Young Puffer Fish

I am surprised by the extent of the restrictions I am hearing about as I thought it was better in the US than Canada. There is no where I can legally smoke in my city other than someones home. I live in an apartment building which forbids it but I can hear doors opening all night in the cold weather. Our parks are off limits but this is unenforceable. The powers that be acknowledged this but said people would likely adhere to the bylaws regardless. I do not think they understand the idea that people need to smoke somewhere.

The only way I can see it getting worse is roaming gangs of non-smokers on search and destroy missions. When caught you would be drowned in bylaw citations.

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito11 View Post
    i will be coming through for my annual christmas trip for a couple weeks and i was hoping you could light on which B&M was successful with the loophole?
    I've been searching online hoping to find something and have had quite a bit of difficulty besides finding a possibility at a place called "Beehive" cigars in SLC

Thanks man!
    Beehive is the place you want to go. They have a nice smoking shed built on their outdoor patio. Their humidor is pretty well stocked as well. Sorry for the late response, been kinda busy this week with moving back to Utah.

Thanks @tosis ! I will be in the Southern SLC area for the holidays so well definitely have to check out the Beehive! Possibly see ya there?!

Puffer Fish with many spikes tnlawyer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tosis View Post
    Beehive is the place you want to go. They have a nice smoking shed built on their outdoor patio. Their humidor is pretty well stocked as well. Sorry for the late response, been kinda busy this week with moving back to Utah.
    I just moved from SLC back to Nashville. I agree with you on the taxes being insane.

I shopped at Beehive fairly frequently and would always buy a few sticks from them, but did most of my purchasing online. The fellow that works there (glasses and a beard) was always very nice and helpful. I remember him telling me about the patio area...very clever. Wonder how long it will be before some a-hole complains and it's taken away...
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain

No longer a community member.

HA, seen the title and was just going to post California.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast