Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Public smoking ban in parks?

This is a discussion on Public smoking ban in parks? within the Tobacco Legislation forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; A lot of talk has been coming up in many towns lately about banning the smoking of cigars and whatnot ...

Young Puffer Fish EliteCigarClub's Avatar

Public smoking ban in parks?

A lot of talk has been coming up in many towns lately about banning the smoking of cigars and whatnot in public parks. While I do understand the reasoning behind this, it also means I can't relax outside when the weather starts getting nicer. They were talking about implementing it where I live, but what do you guys think of this?

Puffer Fish with some spikes SOHResident's Avatar

Re: Public smoking ban in parks?

Second hand smoke is a huge "hot button" in America today. I understand and even support a lot (not all) of the no smoking laws that are in place in some states. I am grateful that cigar lounges still can get a pass on those laws and I think there is good reason for separate laws for cigars.

I do not smoke cigars around children as I do not want to expose them to my second hand smoke. I cannot blame a parent for not wanting someone smoking around their children. Since most public parks are designed for "family" use I understand the desire to have them be smoke free.

I also see a lot of cigarette butts laying around in the public parks in my area and I find that infuriating as I find any litter infuriating. Seeing those butts gives the general public one more reason to dislike smoking. (That being said you don't see Mt. Dew being regulated because people leave their empty 20oz bottles laying around the public park.)

I think its unfortunate that people cannot be considerate of others so the government feels the need to step in and regulate it but I do understand the "why" behind such regulations. Unfortunately a few inconsiderate smokers can make all BOTL and SOTL look bad to the general public. Also, the general public does not see any difference between cigarette smoking and cigar smoking so you have to keep in mind that the actions of ALL smokers play a role in these things.

All of that being said I live in rural MN and have 160 acres of my own personal "park" that I can use. If I lived in a larger community and lived in an apartment that didn't allow smoking on the property, and a park was my only outdoor option I am sure I would be less "understanding" of such regulations.
    CALLING ALL NOOBS - follow this link NOOB PIF to have some fun, meet some other new BOTL and gain some trader experience.

Well of course I look at this through Cigar tinted Glasses... Just yesterday I was at a public park for my wife's baby shower. I had already planned to bring cigars for any other guys that got dragged along as well. and just as I was about to get into my herf-a-dor I noticed the big red and white sign reading "NO SMOKING IN PARK"... Bummer!!! so I thought to myself... "Well there is nothing but family and friends around for at least 30 feet. How about i just start with an Illusione Rothschild in case someone says something at least I wont waste much of a cigar." then as I was pulling it out I noticed a park ranger sitting in the parking lot, and said oh well and lit it up... and the ranger didn't say a thing. Now I realize that was blatant disregard for the rules and could have gone the other way, But I think if we are conscientious about where, when, and who we smoke there shouldn't be a problem. I am sure that non of us want to go and herf with a bunch of guys around the swing sets and slides but if we are just walking through the park not bothering anyone there shouldn't be a problem. maybe bring up limiting the Smoking Ban to just around the playground at a city council meeting.

Remember if we start to be jerks about smoking then that will just give them more reasons to ban it. just be aware of your surroundings and enjoy your smoke.

Puffer Fish with some spikes SOHResident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AuTechCoM View Post
    Remember if we start to be jerks about smoking then that will just give them more reasons to ban it. just be aware of your surroundings and enjoy your smoke.
    Truer words have not been spoken!!!
    CALLING ALL NOOBS - follow this link NOOB PIF to have some fun, meet some other new BOTL and gain some trader experience.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Moving this to tobacco legislation.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1340 View Post
    Moving this to tobacco legislation.
    Good call I didn't even notice what section it it was in

Puffer Fish with some spikes

I live in LA. We already have a smoking ban in public parks. Makes it a pain in the butt finding any place to smoke outside of your property or at B&M.

No longer a community member.

I'm fine with making playgrounds and pools smoke-free, but I waver a bit at the idea of making all area of a public park off limits. While I wouldn't go sit on a bench right next to a shelter of stangers throwing a birthday party, or the table next to a family having a picnic, and light up a cigar, I do enjoy walking on the trails my the river where I live and smoking one. I think what it really boils down to is that it is a damn shame we have to legislate courtesy in this country. I don't even want to smell smoke while I'm enjoying a picnic with my family- but a park is big enough for everyone's interests if we can simply be respectful.

Article in our local paper about a woman 89 yrs old ,had been smoking longer than she could remember, was evicted from her retirement home
    because she wouldn't quit smoking. Reportedly the home gave everyone a year to quit but she wouldn't so other residents complained and out
    the door she went.
    Unfortunately I don't see a good ending for this at all. My guess is it will get worse as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by AuTechCoM View Post
    Good call I didn't even notice what section it it was in
    Tobias gets the credit for catching this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    I'm fine with making playgrounds and pools smoke-free, but I waver a bit at the idea of making all area of a public park off limits. While I wouldn't go sit on a bench right next to a shelter of stangers throwing a birthday party, or the table next to a family having a picnic, and light up a cigar, I do enjoy walking on the trails my the river where I live and smoking one. I think what it really boils down to is that it is a damn shame we have to legislate courtesy in this country. I don't even want to smell smoke while I'm enjoying a picnic with my family- but a park is big enough for everyone's interests if we can simply be respectful.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    There's the problem - you're considerate; I'm considerate; everyone on this forum is considerate, but all it takes is one, or a small number of jerks to screw it up. Then there's a new set of regulations we all have to follow, bcs they can't just pass laws that only apply to jerks Rant Off - I feel better now.

Being in - as Tony calls it - Californistan, public smoking isn't really an option...period. I'm just waiting for the day I get a knock on the door from the police because my neighbor is complaining about my stogie in my own backyard. I fear this future is not far off. Be thankful if your community is only talking about it, go to the town meetings and make your voice heard.
    To smoke is human; to smoke cigars, divine.

Leading Puffer Fish HTML5 Gordon's Avatar

The funny thing is, that in my experience, Cigar smokers are generally very conscientious smokers - it is the cigarette smokers that seem to think they can smoke anywhere (even around kids) and throw their butts on the ground. Unfortunately, we get lumped in with them. and cigarette smokers even have the audacity to complain about cigar smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by HTML5 Gordon View Post
    The funny thing is, that in my experience, Cigar smokers are generally very conscientious smokers - it is the cigarette smokers that seem to think they can smoke anywhere (even around kids) and throw their butts on the ground. Unfortunately, we get lumped in with them. and cigarette smokers even have the audacity to complain about cigar smoke.
    Yeah, just the other day, I saw a guy flick his cigarette butt to the curb. And I thought, way to ruin it for everyone, buddy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast