Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Nassau

This is a discussion on Nassau within the Travel Forum forums, part of the Non Cigar Related Specialty Forums category; Just got back from a trip to Nassau and wanted to share a warning.... If you are looking for Cubans ...

Nassau

Just got back from a trip to Nassau and wanted to share a warning.... If you are looking for Cubans watch very carefully that the cigars you are shown are actually the cigars you leave with. I watch a German dude buy what he thought were a box of Cohibas from a store right on Bay Street, (the main shopping area), but when he was paying for them he was actually given a different box - the guy said the new one was sealed and fresh.... Oh yeah. Outside the German opened the box to find rough rolled cigars with what was obviously copied labels. So beware if buying in Nassau.

Leading Puffer Fish sjcruiser36's Avatar

Re: Nassau

Thanks for the information. I'm told to stick with Graycliffs and The Shops in Atlantis for "real" cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by stepheng View Post
    Just got back from a trip to Nassau and wanted to share a warning.... If you are looking for Cubans watch very carefully that the cigars you are shown are actually the cigars you leave with. I watch a German dude buy what he thought were a box of Cohibas from a store right on Bay Street, (the main shopping area), but when he was paying for them he was actually given a different box - the guy said the new one was sealed and fresh.... Oh yeah. Outside the German opened the box to find rough rolled cigars with what was obviously copied labels. So beware if buying in Nassau.

I can sort of confirm this as well.

I was just in Nassau during x-mas and stayed at the Colonial Hilton (right beside the shopping area). The concierge told my father to check out every single cigar he was interested in (individually) before paying.

Also we stopped by Graycliffs and they had their own in house torcedores rolling. Man I regret not grabbing one of those freshly rolled robusto's

Puffer Fish with some spikes

same here, i really regret not buying more at atlantis

Young Puffer Fish Anthony Johnson's Avatar

Ugh, those streets smell like urine too. Will stick to Mexico and central trips for now on.
    If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life.

Leading Puffer Fish sjcruiser36's Avatar

Graycliffs and The Atlantis ARE the only reputable places for cigars in Nassau. I saw a lot of cigars being sold on the street, convenience stores and pharmacies that "looked" good, but I stuck to the places that were recommended.

Everywhere I go, I bring my own.
    THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Puffer Fish with many spikes LGHT's Avatar

I may do a cruise in a few months does anyone know if you are allowed to bring back cigars on the boat?

It is unlawful for an American to even buy a CC, let alone bring it back, so be careful if that is the plan LGHT. As far as NCs (which I'm sure is what you are talking about ) I have no idea about boat travel, but I would assume if you are leaving the states, there will be customs. I've heard that you can bring 10 or less cigars into the states without needing to declare them. But, I may be wrong.

I'm going on a cruise as well and wondered the same thing.

But I wanted to find out more about the Hotel Graycliff cigars. Are there any that they sell there that I should specifically look for? I've never had a Graycliff but have been told that the ones from the Bahamas are fantastic.

Aw, You just made me ink defetis's Avatar

customs doesn't check usually if you don't look "suspicious" and your with a family sort of crowd. I guess it comes down to how honest you are?

King of All Puffer Fish KcJason1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laynard View Post
    It is unlawful for an American to even buy a CC, let alone bring it back, so be careful if that is the plan LGHT. As far as NCs (which I'm sure is what you are talking about ) I have no idea about boat travel, but I would assume if you are leaving the states, there will be customs. I've heard that you can bring 10 or less cigars into the states without needing to declare them. But, I may be wrong.
    Just had a friend bring back a box and a Jar for himself... lol
    If you have to ask, It's probably fake!