Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

need some watch help

This is a discussion on need some watch help within the Watches forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by Cigary Lol...it's true..literally. Jewelry is so cheap down there it's incredible and what we all pay here ...

Re: need some watch help

Quote Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
    Lol...it's true..literally. Jewelry is so cheap down there it's incredible and what we all pay here in the states should be against the law. I used to buy all my watches, rings, etc. here in the good ole USA until I started going on cruises in the late 80's. By the mid 90's I stopped buying all jewelry here in this country...the stores are charging 300 - 500% markup and don't think a thing about it. When I buy my stuff in the Caribbean ( at guaranteed stores ) I end up taking them to jewelry stores here to have it cleaned and then appraised and it is always...always appraised at what they sell for in their stores.

I've said it before as to where I bought my wifes wedding band and loose stone..if I had bought it here in the states it would have gone for over $14K and that didn't include taxes...in the Caribbean I got both for around $7K and no taxes.

One of the reasons my wife and I cruise is because we love them and the shopping we do saves us both a ton of money...she likes diamonds and watches and I like watches as well. Instead of getting ripped off by the stores here we take a nice cruise and buy the jewelry at half price...and the same for booze..half price. We use a credit card that pays points back to us and we use that card to buy the cruise and jewelry....the points we get from those transactions pays us back and we get FREE vacations...its like we get paid for buying stuff we already want. We have about 200,000 points for stuff we can use for free hotels, airfare, cruises, cars, restaurants and I highly advise everyone to get these credit cards that you can exchange for goods and services. We have one card we use that we pay for our house payment and groceries, gas, etc and then get points for those transactions. Relatives think we have alot of money but it's only because we use points to pay for stuff like air, car rental, cruises, hotels.

We all pay for stuff like this everyday so get a card where it lets you get points you trade in for stuff I just talked about....

when i "fix" my credit, or my wife gets credit, we will do just that. i love it when people find out ways to do things like this, if someone had a few grand in the bank and didnt like watches, but new what to look for, you could potentially take a cruise, buy a watch, come back, sell it used and end up with a free cruise, and maybe even make money off it, i could do that all day long if i had $4,000 or so to start with. lol!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gibson_es View Post
    when i "fix" my credit, or my wife gets credit, we will do just that. i love it when people find out ways to do things like this, if someone had a few grand in the bank and didnt like watches, but new what to look for, you could potentially take a cruise, buy a watch, come back, sell it used and end up with a free cruise, and maybe even make money off it, i could do that all day long if i had $4,000 or so to start with. lol!

Funny you should say that as I told my wife the same thing after our second time. People are always selling jewelry and diamonds are one of those things that hold their value esp. in loose stones where you could buy one at the reduced price and then get a confirmed appraisel and then sell it once back home. The real trick is to find ways to get into programs that pay you with points when you use their card...then use those points to get goods and services. When I discovered that a "card" will convert charges ( any charge ) to points it was "go time" for me as I started using my card to pay my mortgage..my gas,,my groceries and then pay the card off at the end of the month. I'd say we average about 4,000 points a month which in real terms is: 2 free days in a hotel/3 or 4 days in a hotel or if you save enough in a years time it can pay for a weeks cruise for two in the Caribbean which is what we do.

Not sure I would sell any of the jewelry we have bought for a gain...something not right about that to me.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
    Funny you should say that as I told my wife the same thing after our second time. People are always selling jewelry and diamonds are one of those things that hold their value esp. in loose stones where you could buy one at the reduced price and then get a confirmed appraisel and then sell it once back home. The real trick is to find ways to get into programs that pay you with points when you use their card...then use those points to get goods and services. When I discovered that a "card" will convert charges ( any charge ) to points it was "go time" for me as I started using my card to pay my mortgage..my gas,,my groceries and then pay the card off at the end of the month. I'd say we average about 4,000 points a month which in real terms is: 2 free days in a hotel/3 or 4 days in a hotel or if you save enough in a years time it can pay for a weeks cruise for two in the Caribbean which is what we do.

Not sure I would sell any of the jewelry we have bought for a gain...something not right about that to me.

if you can buy it, sell it for enough to make your money back+ vacation expenses, and it still be a "steal' for someone here, i see nothing wrong with it, if i was a buyer and i could get something 10%, 25% ect below cost i wouldnt care what you paid for it. but i can understand if you do, i would by no means screw someone here when i payed so little there. i would definently sell below cost, but i wouldnt wanna loose money either....

here is a question, i hope you dont mind me asking, is the points worth the interest you pay on all the stuff you buy? or is it one of those things were if you pay in in a certain time, i.e. one month, 3 months etc, you pay no interest?

you should look at a panerai. an entry level model would be great. This is the current "in" watch.

you can also look at hublot, ulysses nardin, bell and ross, maybe a tag heur, cariter, bretling, IWC, kobold, zenith...

Tell me more details. do you want automatic, hand, leather strap, bracelet, chrono...

Young Puffer Fish

I am an omega guy. I have two of them. I have been wearing the same one everyday for the last 7 years. It is solid as a rock.

For the 3500.00 price range, I'd definitely go with Tag or Omega for a good "everyday" watch.

The Tag Heuer Grand Carrera in Stainless Steel is an excellent choice.

The other I'd suggest is the Omega Seamaster. Particularly the Planet Ocean. Stainless Steel, Black Face.

I have both of these watches, and rotate them regularly. Hands down, the Omega is my favorite. It will be a little bigger than the rolex he is used to now, and a little heavier.

Both of these watches will have automatic movement, so they don't require battery.

Full grown Puffer Fish thunderdan11's Avatar

Would like a nice leather band, automatic watch. I really like the look of the paneri watches....

Quote Originally Posted by mrmikey32 View Post
    you should look at a panerai. an entry level model would be great. This is the current "in" watch.

you can also look at hublot, ulysses nardin, bell and ross, maybe a tag heur, cariter, bretling, IWC, kobold, zenith...

Tell me more details. do you want automatic, hand, leather strap, bracelet, chrono...

I will look at the Omega seamaster. I do like the stainless with the black face....

Quote Originally Posted by bhxhhcz View Post
    For the 3500.00 price range, I'd definitely go with Tag or Omega for a good "everyday" watch.

The Tag Heuer Grand Carrera in Stainless Steel is an excellent choice.

The other I'd suggest is the Omega Seamaster. Particularly the Planet Ocean. Stainless Steel, Black Face.

I have both of these watches, and rotate them regularly. Hands down, the Omega is my favorite. It will be a little bigger than the rolex he is used to now, and a little heavier.

Both of these watches will have automatic movement, so they don't require battery.

We have to pull the trigger pretty soon so I better get my azz in gear....

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Another one in favor of the Omega.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish 92hatchattack's Avatar

I gotta side with the Tag Heuer on this one.... pretty much because i am a quartz watchmaker for them. But we also own and repair the Zenith brand. They are beautiful watches. If you could give a little more info on what style you are looking for, and case size we may be able to help a little more.

Now if you run into an extra $20-$40K id skip the rolex and go for a nice Patek Philippe!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2