Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

need some watch help

This is a discussion on need some watch help within the Watches forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; It is my father's 70th birthday coming up and my 5 brother/sisters are pitching in to buy him a nice ...

Full grown Puffer Fish thunderdan11's Avatar

need some watch help

It is my father's 70th birthday coming up and my 5 brother/sisters are pitching in to buy him a nice watch. He currrently has a two tone submariner with the blue face. It is a nice watch, right size for his wrist, but looking for something the same size face but more of a watch he can wear daily.

We are looking to spend 3500.00 or so. Any suggestions?

Re: need some watch help

First off this couldn't be more in the wrong forum. lol

I would suggest a Rolex but don't go with gold so you can try to fit it in that pricing. I have one and it is awesome, try to grab a nice winding box also, as it makes wearing it quick and easy. So he doesn't have to wind it every time he wants to wear it.

Disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by Zfog View Post
    First off this couldn't be more in the wrong forum. lol
    No kidding!

MOVED

Well, just considering your budget, you should look at Raymond Weil watches. Trying to find a good Rolex in that price range will be hard, unless you buy it used. I would also say look at Tag watches also since they have a great collection.

I thought I put it in the general discussion forum under Everything but, but I was WRONG...AGAIN...lol

Full grown Puffer Fish pomorider's Avatar

I like Omega Seamaster.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Mr. Slick's Avatar

you could probably score a stainless Rolex in that price range but If he's already got a Submariner. . . maybe a Breitling or some other brand to add variety. But then again there's nothing wrong with having two Rolexes.
    Why am I wasting my time talking to an A-hole like you when I could be doing something much more dangerous... like rearrageing my humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by pomorider View Post
    I like Omega Seamaster.
    I used to have an Omega.... very nice quality watch!!!
    Everyone likes Omega!

I think he would like a similar watch but not a dressy, so maybe a stainless with the black or green face... Anyone know of any good sites to look, both for preowned and new...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Slick View Post
    you could probably score a stainless Rolex in that price range but If he's already got a Submariner. . . maybe a Breitling or some other brand to add variety. But then again there's nothing wrong with having two Rolexes.

those priced watches are out of my range, however, my dad has an omega that he loves, and i would prefer omega over rolex, but thats me, again, no personal experiance. but if i was gonna spend 3500 on a watch, omega would be it, hands down, which omega is a hole nother question.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

I've got so many watches and the thing is that I have a Timex that keeps the same time as my Rolex...go figger. $3500 is quite a lot for a watch and depending on what he uses it for is what I would go with. If he is someone who is active and likely to bump into things then get a watch that can take abuse. If he likes things that sparkle then by all means max out on what you can get. Personally, you and one sibling can cruise down into the Carribean...pick out a great watch for half the price and come back and still save money. The wife and I have picked up some great watches in St. Thomas and other Carribean Islands....2 Movado Watches that are valued here in the states for $800 each...we got 2 for $700. Picked up a Breitling Breitling Men's E7936210-G6-130E Professional Aerospace Chronotimer Stainless Steel Watch that goes for around $3200..picked this one up for $1900 and no taxes..just wore it home from the store. Remember that when buying jewelry in the states you are going to pay tax. Picked up a Omega Men's 2900.50.37 Seamaster Planet Ocean Automatic Chronometer Watch and this goes for around $2600-$2800 in the states....in St. Thomas I got it for $1475 ( with some haggling...always haggle )

As you can see there are some amazing deals and ensure that the store you shop at is a guaranteed cruiseline vendor...that way your purchase is guaranteed. What we paid for the watches paid for our cruise for both of us.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

good thinking gary!

what you just told me is, dont ask the wife for a cruise ask her for a watch, then point out its cheaper in the bahamas, and best to get there my cruise ship. lol.... thats what i heard.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gibson_es View Post
    good thinking gary!

what you just told me is, dont ask the wife for a cruise ask her for a watch, then point out its cheaper in the bahamas, and best to get there my cruise ship. lol.... thats what i heard.
    Lol...it's true..literally. Jewelry is so cheap down there it's incredible and what we all pay here in the states should be against the law. I used to buy all my watches, rings, etc. here in the good ole USA until I started going on cruises in the late 80's. By the mid 90's I stopped buying all jewelry here in this country...the stores are charging 300 - 500% markup and don't think a thing about it. When I buy my stuff in the Caribbean ( at guaranteed stores ) I end up taking them to jewelry stores here to have it cleaned and then appraised and it is always...always appraised at what they sell for in their stores.

I've said it before as to where I bought my wifes wedding band and loose stone..if I had bought it here in the states it would have gone for over $14K and that didn't include taxes...in the Caribbean I got both for around $7K and no taxes.

One of the reasons my wife and I cruise is because we love them and the shopping we do saves us both a ton of money...she likes diamonds and watches and I like watches as well. Instead of getting ripped off by the stores here we take a nice cruise and buy the jewelry at half price...and the same for booze..half price. We use a credit card that pays points back to us and we use that card to buy the cruise and jewelry....the points we get from those transactions pays us back and we get FREE vacations...its like we get paid for buying stuff we already want. We have about 200,000 points for stuff we can use for free hotels, airfare, cruises, cars, restaurants and I highly advise everyone to get these credit cards that you can exchange for goods and services. We have one card we use that we pay for our house payment and groceries, gas, etc and then get points for those transactions. Relatives think we have alot of money but it's only because we use points to pay for stuff like air, car rental, cruises, hotels.

We all pay for stuff like this everyday so get a card where it lets you get points you trade in for stuff I just talked about....
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Puffer Fish with some spikes canadianbeaver's Avatar

Omega is a great choice but Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Chronograph is gorgeous and on budget - with lots of style choices.

I recommend anything by Victorinox. Their watches are built to last, and are surprisingly elegant at the higher end. The thing I like about them is their subtlety. Almost anyone in public is going to recognize a Tag or Omega and know the price tag is pretty high, but what I like about the Victorinox watches is that there are models that compare to other high end brands, but aren't as identifiable at a glance. The Airboss models are my favorite. Just my preference.

But if you want something not so subtle, the Omega Seamaster is beautiful. I love the orange around the face.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast