Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

looking for a nice everyday watch

This is a discussion on looking for a nice everyday watch within the Watches forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I am looking to purchase an everyday watch for myself. I have a thinner wrist so around a 40 mm ...

Full grown Puffer Fish thunderdan11's Avatar

looking for a nice everyday watch

I am looking to purchase an everyday watch for myself. I have a thinner wrist so around a 40 mm is the largest I would like to go. I am looking to spend 1500 max and would love some suggestions.

Thanks and look forward to the responses....

Dan

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Re: looking for a nice everyday watch

Dan...take $400 and take a week cruise to the Caribbean in ports like St. Thomas or St. Kitts or St. Maarten and you'll find watch deals all day long. My wife and I go there every year to jewelry shop and can get some great watches for almost 60% off from what we were to get in the states. We've probably bought 6 watches between us in the last 2 years that retail for at least $1000 each and she bought two Movados in 2008 ( his and hers) for $800...brought em back to the states and let our jewelry guy appraise them...we almost fell over as he said both combined were worth $1800.

Take your wife/GF over there and still save money and you get a great vacation...you don't pay any tax on the watch and just wear it home.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

I'd definitely purchase it online. Or as Gary said, overseas. Most jewelry stores overcharge for the watches they sell. There's a couple sites on the internet that sell authentic watches at a fraction of the cost. I can't remember the name of the site, but just search in google.

As a side note, for that price you could probably get a pretty nice TAG Heuer. That would definitely be a nice everyday watch.
    Last edited by GeoffbCET; 05-12-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Newbie in the ocean

How about a Steinhart Ocean 1? Its a very nice Sub homage.

No longer a community member.

Hamilton

Baume & Mercier

Mike I promise I'm not stalking you. Im just try to build my post count and your on every forum I post.

I also agree to Hamilton. Great watches.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
    "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
    And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"
    Isaiah 6:8

U can get a nice tag in that range. For even cheaper level seiko make great watches, although not sure they have a patented movement. Mont Blanc also have some beautiful new watches as they are pushing into the watch market with a patented movement but not sure the starting offer level.

Young Puffer Fish

If you buy an automatic, I would strongly suggest buying from an authorized dealer, either here, or as other suggested, abroad. A reputable internet dealer will sell you an authentic watch, but there's no mfg warranty included (known as grey market). With all the moving parts of an auto, I err on the safe side. Quartz is a different story and since they are cheaper to begin with, I don't worry as much.

Make sure you ask any jeweler what they can discount off msrp. All of them can and it's almost always between 10-25%. Some mfg have set max discount levels a store can do, but a good deal is usually 20% off. You'll rarely see a "sale" on Omegas or Breitlings for example, but I've never had a jewelry shop say they won't discount them.

You're in that price range where you either have to go nice quartz or entry level automatic. If I were going quartz, I would save your money and get a Tissot or Hamilton (both made by Swatch, along with Omega, Longines, etc) for under $1k. You might be able to find an entry level Oris auto or a Hamilton auto for that price. Personally, I don't know if I'd ever spend more than a few hundred on a quartz watch, but to each his own.

Good luck and post some pics on whatever you decide!

Quote Originally Posted by ameyers41 View Post
    If you buy an automatic, I would strongly suggest buying from an authorized dealer, either here, or as other suggested, abroad. A reputable internet dealer will sell you an authentic watch, but there's no mfg warranty included (known as grey market). With all the moving parts of an auto, I err on the safe side. Quartz is a different story and since they are cheaper to begin with, I don't worry as much.

Make sure you ask any jeweler what they can discount off msrp. All of them can and it's almost always between 10-25%. Some mfg have set max discount levels a store can do, but a good deal is usually 20% off. You'll rarely see a "sale" on Omegas or Breitlings for example, but I've never had a jewelry shop say they won't discount them.

You're in that price range where you either have to go nice quartz or entry level automatic. If I were going quartz, I would save your money and get a Tissot or Hamilton (both made by Swatch, along with Omega, Longines, etc) for under $1k. You might be able to find an entry level Oris auto or a Hamilton auto for that price. Personally, I don't know if I'd ever spend more than a few hundred on a quartz watch, but to each his own.

Good luck and post some pics on whatever you decide!

Just bought a Tissot from Costco yesterday for $400. Since Costco isn't a 'dealer', it states that if there is a problem with the watch that you can just return it to Costco and they will give you a new one or money back. Their return policy is crazy there.

I usually just send my TAG to the TAG dealer somewhere overseas. It's a lot easier for me to deal direct with them.

Young Puffer Fish

Agree Geoff - Costco is maybe the one unauthorized dealer I would buy from because of their own very liberal return policy. They had a nice Breitling EVO there for something like $4k in MN.

Which Tissot did you get? I had the PRC200 chrono for a while and I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by ameyers41 View Post
    Agree Geoff - Costco is maybe the one unauthorized dealer I would buy from because of their own very liberal return policy. They had a nice Breitling EVO there for something like $4k in MN.

Which Tissot did you get? I had the PRC200 chrono for a while and I loved it.

I'd love to get my hands on a Breitling. Especially the Breitling for Bentley series.

I purchased the T-Sport PRS200 GTS. Pretty nice casual sporty watch. Gets the job done

i wear a Breitling.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

I love my "Columbia", picked it up at the "Academy - Sports & Outdoors"

Great price
    Rugged
    Many styles to choose from
    Can buy at other stores
    Dependable
    Been wearing it for years on same battery and it has a lot of features
    Great everyday watches

http://www.columbia.com/Watches/acce...efault,sc.html
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Puffer Fish with many spikes bcannon87's Avatar

Don't Laugh but I am quite fond of my Fossil!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast