Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Super Bummed...

This is a discussion on Super Bummed... within the Watches forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Well a week ago I was in Vegas wearing my very nice Breitling Chronomat Evolution. I went swimming in the ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Bad Andy's Avatar

Super Bummed...

Well a week ago I was in Vegas wearing my very nice Breitling Chronomat Evolution. I went swimming in the pools and such. I have never had a problem in the 5 years I have owned this watch.

That night as I put it on to go out to dinner, I noticed a "fog" under the crystal. I thought maybe just the Vegas heat going from inside cold AC to outside heat.... none the less, it continued.

When I got back, the next weekend I took it into my watch repair place (authorized Breitling repair center) and they opened it up. Turns out water leaked through the crown, rusted the crown, bubbled up the face. They quoted me a price to fix... ouch this is going to be expensive. New crown, new dial (face), and matching hands to keep the same illumination to match the new dial. All with a regular servicing and mainspring... Plus Brietling is on vacation in Europe, so have to wait about 2 months. The repair bill is going to be about 10% the value of the watch, so I am having it done, but ouch! I guess I should always make sure the crown is tightly screwed down before jumping in the pool.

For now, I'll have to stick with my daily wear Breitling, a Colt Ocean automatic. That thing is built like a tank.

-Andy

No longer a community member.

Re: Super Bummed...

I would assume the watch is rated to go in a pool depth.. you'd think they would fix it for free since youre paying so much for that watch, they'd stick behind their craftmanship. ive had a $280 Seiko ive gone cliff diving with and it still works perfectly.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Bad Andy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
    I would assume the watch is rated to go in a pool depth..
    Yes, It is rated for over 350 feet. They only have a one year warranty. My daily watch is rated to 1,650 feet.

I guess it is my fault for not having it opened up every other year to have the seals changed. That alone is $ 550.00 I guess I took my chances.

-Andy

Who you calling clown??? Coop D's Avatar

I feel your pain!!! I have to send my Zenith in for servicing... Not going to be pretty with that bill!!!!
    When the river runs red, take the dirt road!!!

I have a good friend here in Fresno that is a swiss trained watch maker/repairman. If you get me the details on what you have going on, I can see if he can get you a better deal. Let me know.

I was moving boxes around in the backroom at work and smacked it against a metal beam. Knocked the rotor loose from the winding mechanism. I can manual wind my watch, but it is no longer an automatic...

My Rolex is water resistent but nonetheless, I don't take chances. Do you really have to go swimming with a $5000 watch on? Not for me, I'm sorry though that you have to deal with the expense of the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by scottw View Post
    My Rolex is water resistent but nonetheless, I don't take chances. Do you really have to go swimming with a $5000 watch on? Not for me, I'm sorry though that you have to deal with the expense of the repair.
    Deepest water I have gone in was bathing my kid...

Funny since my watch is rated to 1000 meters. Not sure when I would ever go 1000 meters in the ocean. Maybe if I drop the watch off the boat???

I feel your pain; wearing a watch this expensive, I'd be always way-overprotective, fearing to scratch the crystal or knocking it.

Same for my DSLR. I'm almost never taking it out cuz I'm baby-ing it too much, which kinda defeats the purpose of a camera right?

I got insurance on my breathing from jewelers mutual. That way if I smack it on something or badness happens they will replace it. Doubt it would cover the OPs water damage though. Very sorry to hear this sad story but it may keep me from doing the same thing someday.
    Man I wish I had something witty and inspiring to say. Or even a URL to share.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I quit wearing a watch when I read that people who don't wear watches live 5 years longer than those who do. That way I even out my cigar smoking risk.

Too bad about yours - a great watch like that is a work of art and machinery and should be truly enjoyed.

I still like to break out my Goofy counter-clockwise ticker when we go to Disneyland ...
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

$550 for watch maintenance?! Wow. I paid $500 for my car!
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Quote Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post

Don't even ask what the watches MSRP for

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Andy View Post
    Yes, It is rated for over 350 feet. They only have a one year warranty. My daily watch is rated to 1,650 feet.

I guess it is my fault for not having it opened up every other year to have the seals changed. That alone is $ 550.00 I guess I took my chances.

-Andy
    does xikar make watches?

I jest I jest hehhee

Quote Originally Posted by Aninjaforallseasons View Post
    HAH! So much for pimp daddy, the trust is out on that van!

As for the "too expensive to do __" with stuff, I really don't see the purpose then. It's a watch. That's like buying a really nice car and never driving it. If you're gonna baby the crap out of something cause its too expensive.. get a cheaper watch. They all tell time. :P

Same with my camera, (someone mentioned their slr) I bring mine everywhere even though it cost me a good amount of cash, I'd rather use it than let it sit at home forever

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast