Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Watch fans, I need advice.

This is a discussion on Watch fans, I need advice. within the Watches forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally Posted by Cigar Noob Skagen watches are made in Hong Kong, company is based in the US. Lots of ...

Re: Watch fans, I need advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Noob View Post
    Skagen watches are made in Hong Kong, company is based in the US. Lots of info on the watch forums about it.

Discussion about Skagen:
    Any good watches made in Denmark?
    Skagen Watches?

At the price point you got the Citizen you had a lot of options in the auto department whether it be Swiss or Japanese. As long as you enjoy your purchase that's all that matters. Congrats on a new toy.
    Now that you mention Hong Kong, and I had more time to look up more Skagen info, I found that they are assembled there. That wouldn't necessarily bother me. While HK is administratively a part of China, it is a little different, it is a "special administrative region"- kind of like the relationship between the US and Puerto Rico. HK has a long capitalist history. In general I wouldn't worry about a watch made there just as I wouldn't worry about electronics or other consumer goods made there, especially with their Japanese movement (though I get that it is on the higher end of "fashion watches" instead of the low end of premium and semi-premium watches). What does worry me, and I won't be getting one because of this, is I have now read a lot of complaints about reliability issues and worse, poor customer service.

As for the price of my new watch, I did notice that there is a lot to choose from at that price-point. Swiss made, Swiss movement, Japanese movement, quartz, and auto. The Citizen Eco-Drive was solidly in my top 4 (Citizen Eco Drive, Victorinox, Tissot, and Seiko), and in the end, in my top 3 (the first 3 in that list). I'll probably eventually (and not too far off) get an automatic as well (again, gadgetry). I know I'll end up with a Vicotinox since I've wanted one so long (probably soon- now that I've finally bit the bullet on watches in this price point, I won't be as hesitant in the future), and there are several Tissot and Seiko watches that I really liked in this search, so I'll probably end up with all 4 of my top choices within the next couple years (I guess I'll have to watch Ebay used watch auctions for some deals, and I'll have to slow down on buying new pipes).

Eventually, long term (maybe in 2 or 3 years when I finally get an assistant principal position and make much better money), I would love a Tag Heuer. For the foreseeable future I doubt I'll spend that much on one watch, though I won't wait around 20 years like I have been for Victorinox (I will watch for used deals, and my roommate is thinking about selling his, and that might speed it up).

No longer a community member.

Yeah, skagens look nice and are good bang for the buck, but anything that is that much of a value leaves a chance of something breaking. A big thing with skagens is theyre really thin (i like that) and wear REALLY well, since they barely weigh anything (a lot of them are titanium)

This thread has me looking at watches again. I havent gotten a new one in nearly 5 years, as ive just worn my seiko all the time. So im trying to justify it to myself XD

I will also say,for my seiko, the finish and everything has held up extremely well considering its been worn on and off (probably half of the time) for nearly 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff10236 View Post

... The Citizen Eco-Drive was solidly in my top 4 (Citizen Eco Drive, Victorinox, Tissot, and Seiko), and in the end, in my top 3 (the first 3 in that list). I'll probably eventually (and not too far off) get an automatic as well (again, gadgetry). I know I'll end up with a Vicotinox since I've wanted one so long (probably soon- now that I've finally bit the bullet on watches in this price point, I won't be as hesitant in the future)...
    Haha, within days of this post, I bought a Victorinox Maverick GS with the silver face and rubber strap.

I now have 2 nice watches with more likely coming soon (i.e. right now I have some windows open to shopping sites, I'm looking at Wegner and Tissot quartz watches, and Seiko, Invicta, and Orient automatic watches), so I am thinking again about the reason for this thread.

My older watches are definitely pitted, it isn't just dirt or needing polishing like some have suggested. When you run your finger along the pitting the edges are sharp, and when you run your fingernail it is definitely a depression not a bump (i.e. pitting, not dirt). The bands are fine, it is all in the case of the watch.

I don't want this happening with my new watches. I have been removing them a few times a day (especially the one with the rubber strap) to let any sweat collecting under them to dry, I wipe them off every night when I take them off, and I'm rinsing them a little more than I used to with my cheaper watches. I may consider the jewelry ultrasonic cleaner idea, and I'll certainly try soap and water from time to time. Anyone else with a high pH and pitting issue? It can take a year or so for the problem to show up so I won't know if anything I'm doing helps for some time. I don't want damage to my new, nicer watches. I would love to hear from someone who may have a similar issue and has found solutions that work.

Do not put a watch in an ultrasonic cleaner, that is a bad idea. If you want to remove the band and clean it in there you are fine. Soap, water and a toothbrush do great for cleaning a watch.

Without analyzing what materials you are having issues with, you really aren't going to find out the problem. I still don't think it is you or your sweat, it is the inferior brass or aluminum backs on the fashion watches. I mentioned before that you should not evaluate watches based on fashion brands, I still believe that. Keep buying watches with a SS screw on back and you should be fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2