Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rubber watch bands?

This is a discussion on Rubber watch bands? within the Watches forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I'm looking for a casual watch that can take a beating (i.e. a watch for camping and other outdoors activities). ...

Rubber watch bands?

I'm looking for a casual watch that can take a beating (i.e. a watch for camping and other outdoors activities). I'm leaning towards a rubber or fabric strap since leather doesn't do as well when wet and metal just seems a little too formal for this use. My worry is that, while rubber will be pretty durable and it is certainly waterproof, and some rubber straps actually look quite good, rubber does not breathe.

Those of you who wear watches with rubber bracelets, how comfortable are they?

Re: Rubber watch bands?

thats all I wear. I have a Timex ironman. It has taking quite the beating and was not that expensive.
    People say motivation doesn't last ... neither does bathing. Thats why we do it everyday.

Hmm, add the Alpha Submariner homage to my list, and the Timex Weekender (yeah, it isn't specifically an outdoors watch, but the nylon NATO style band and cheap price tag make it a good candidate).

Quote Originally Posted by Swany View Post
    thats all I wear. I have a Timex ironman. It has taking quite the beating and was not that expensive.
    Is yours digital or analog? I'd definitely be looking for analog. I am 41, I remember when digital watches got big in the early '80s, they were cheap tacky looking things and I now have a permanent block against digital watches even though today there are some pretty nice ones out there.

Mine is digital. Not too many cheap analog watches that have military time. I do like the brqnd though. Havent had any problems with it yet.
    People say motivation doesn't last ... neither does bathing. Thats why we do it everyday.

Jeff, I would strongly advise you go with a rubber band. I had a great Timex Ironman with a nylon band but after getting it wet a couple of times and some showering it started to smell REALLY BAD! I'm currrently using a Casio G-Shock as my daily watch, but own a Suunto X10M, and a Tag Hauer Sea Racer.

There are some nice Swiss Army watches that can hold up to a pretty good beating and I'm considering buying one and making my own band out of paracord.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortFuse View Post
    Jeff, I would strongly advise you go with a rubber band. I had a great Timex Ironman with a nylon band but after getting it wet a couple of times and some showering it started to smell REALLY BAD! I'm currrently using a Casio G-Shock as my daily watch, but own a Suunto X10M, and a Tag Hauer Sea Racer.

There are some nice Swiss Army watches that can hold up to a pretty good beating and I'm considering buying one and making my own band out of paracord.
    Yeah, I remember my cheap Timex I had in basic training with a nylon band, whew that thing stunk. At least, with some styles of bands they are easy to swap out (and pretty cheap too).

Redirect Notice

I know this is a little sideways, but the UDT can be "work related", casual or dressy.....To date my favorite watch
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

No longer a community member.

depends on the person. i have a friend who i gave my first watch (a $80 watch with rubber band) to because the rubber would make me sweat and made my skin smell horrible if i wore it while i was sweating at all or it got any moisture under it would trap and smell bad.

that said, he has had no issues with the exact same watch, and actually still wears it today. it was more of a spandex/rubbery though than a "surgical rubber" (it was an oakley watch. got it for working out) type thing ive seen on some higher end watches like a bvlgari or something similar. so mileage may vary.

i can wear a g shock with no issues though, so i think it depends on how "rubeery" the rubber is

Quote Originally Posted by asmartbull View Post
    Redirect Notice

I know this is a little sideways, but the UDT can be "work related", casual or dressy.....To date my favorite watch
    Nice watch and I do have a weak spot for things military. However, doing an Ebay search, I see just a watch face for $160. What do these watches go for? I figure that they are good quality watches, plus the historical/collector value, and I suspect (even without the hint from Ebay) that they are well over my current range. Very nice though!

I have had 2
    Never paid over 195.00
    Let me see where I got them
    An "oath" has no expiration date......

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff10236 View Post
    I'm looking for a casual watch that can take a beating
    The G-Shock. Anytime someone mentions a watch that can take a beating, that is the only thing that comes to my mind.
    Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by David_ESM View Post
    The G-Shock. Anytime someone mentions a watch that can take a beating, that is the only thing that comes to my mind.
    this. And they can even look good if you're trying to be fancy if you just match it w/ the outfit a little (or go all black)

gshocks are awesome, i had one a long time ago (my first watch) and beat the crap out of it (i was a teenager *shrug*) ive since lost it and will probably grab one in the near future for the chrono/etc while running and to have a "not so dressy" watch

G-Shock Watches at Ranger Joes

Im sure a better deal can be found, but it has a rubber band, and is not completely digital. They also have some other styles but not entirely sure what you are looking for.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Well, I made up my mind and will soon see how the rubber strap works. Nordstrom had my first choice (that I wasn't really considering due to the price) for 50% off. I got a Victorinox Maverick GS with a silver face and rubber strap on sale for $196 (usually $395). I don't see the particular model on the Victorinox website either in the current or discontinued offerings, but it is Nordstrom so I highly doubt it is a fake. My guess is that Nordstrom is big enough that Victorinox put together a watch to order for Nordstrom from parts they already had (usually the silver face and black bezel Maverick GS seems to only be available with a stainless bracelet), it isn't like it would be hard to swap out a band for a big enough client. At any rate, it is a really nice watch at a great price (even if it was more money than I really wanted to pay right now). Victorinox Swiss ArmyŽ 'Maverick GS' Rubber Strap Watch | Nordstrom

I'm ordering some watch tools so I can do minor repairs, so I should also be able to easily swap out the watch band when I want to. I'll probably also buy a couple $10ish NATO bands for outdoor use and a different look (a few of the cheaper ones so that when they start to get nasty I can swap them out). What's really nice about this watch is that in addition to being able to handle a bit of a beating, it really does look good (even with the rubber I can get away with wearing it with a suit) so I may also get a leather band for when I want to dress it up. Very nice watch.

I have always liked watches. I used to collect what I could then afford, "fashion watches". I'm sure I'll be picking up quite a few over the next couple years now that I've reawakened that interest, but with better watches. I'll keep an eye out for that Chronosport UDT and I may still pick up a more outdoor or fitness oriented watch like the G-Shock or the Timex Expedition.
    Last edited by Jeff10236; 09-06-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Puffer Fish with some spikes nishdog007's Avatar

They're extremely comfortable... Great watch for trips!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast