Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So what do people think about "homage" watches ?

This is a discussion on So what do people think about "homage" watches ? within the Watches forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; So I ran across , the term not too long ago and did some research on the subject. I guess ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish cw_mi's Avatar

So what do people think about "homage" watches ?

So I ran across , the term not too long ago and did some research on the subject. I guess a homage watch is sterile , with no markings showing what it is paying homage too, vs a replica which is trying to replicate the exactly a authentic.
    I really like the look of Paneria watches, expecially the Luminor style. I can't afford one and don't know if I'd want to wrap up that much cash in one watch. I've got three authentic Omega's and the cost on those three combined would barely touch the price of a pre owned PAM. I ran across a watchmaker out of N.C. that will build you pretty much whatever you want, with a swiss movement. So I ended up ordering one from him, Ti case, sterile black sandwich dial, swiss movement (although manual, don't usually like those) and a sapphire AR coated crystal. I'm pretty excited to get it , even though I do have some reservations of the whole homage vs replica thing. I will in no way try to represent that it is a PAM, if someone asks I'll tell them the truth. What do others think ?

Re: So what do people think about "homage" watches ?

Hmmm, must not be good thoughts since there are 41 views and no replies.

I don't have a problem with an homage, especially with the kind of way that you are doing it. I want to one day do something like you are and have something custom made with little bits and pieces from a few different watches.

Anyone who knows enough to realize it's an homage and not the real deal will Totally understand why it's an homage on your wrist and not the real thing.

I've been wearing it and have gotten plenty of positive comments, most people have know idea what a Panerai is they just comment on the looks of the watch. I did have one person ask if it was a PAM and my reply was " I wish I could own a PAM" , and explained that it was assembled by a watchmaker and yes it does resemble a PAM, because I love the styling but just can't justifiy the cost of one.
    In my research I ran across a forum dedicated to homage watchmaking. Some of these hobbiests use authentic components to build the watch that they want but the OEM doesn't make. Some of these builds cost more than an authentic.
    I'm actually saving some funds for anther one, the same guy that assembled mine has made this in the past and I love the orange dial.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10617...91909583064129

Win
    Puffer Fish with some spikes Win's Avatar

I really like the Orange dial on that. Do you have a link to the maker? and a picture of the one you're wearing. This looks awfully interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Win View Post
    I really like the Orange dial on that. Do you have a link to the maker? and a picture of the one you're wearing. This looks awfully interesting!
    Thanks, here is what I'm wearing now:

Here is the makers email address:
    dennis.rudy@gmail.com

And a link to one of his ad's, it's and older one but you can get the idea of what he does:
    PAM Homage - Many to Choose From

Maturing Puffer Fish

I bought a Chinese Paneria hommage awhile back, believe it was called a Marina Militare. Paneria sued them out of existence. The case is very nice, and the cheap Chinese auto movement is actually very good. I don't wear it much because the band is awful. Cheap tacky leather with low quality hardware. I have to keep retightening the lug screws on one side every time I wear it. I'd like another band, but a decent band would be more than I paid for the watch ($60).

I do remember hearing something about the Marina Militare lawsuit. Both my homages are sterile, I wouldn't have it any other way. I ordered mine with Swiss movements which increased the price quite a bit but have heard good about the Seagull movements (chinese)
    Crazy story, I was talking with a guy on another site that had just sold off some of his Rolex collection to purchase an Audemars Piquet Royal Oak. Well he inquired about my homage and ended up purchasing one ! I was like , your at a level where you own Rolex and AP's and you want a homage ?! His reply was it is a better way for him to get a feel of the PAM without having to drop the cash. Makes sense. I've actually decided to start shopping around for a genuine PAM 177.

Quote Originally Posted by uli2000 View Post
    I bought a Chinese Paneria hommage awhile back, believe it was called a Marina Militare. Paneria sued them out of existence. The case is very nice, and the cheap Chinese auto movement is actually very good. I don't wear it much because the band is awful. Cheap tacky leather with low quality hardware. I have to keep retightening the lug screws on one side every time I wear it. I'd like another band, but a decent band would be more than I paid for the watch ($60).

Thumbs up for a great looking time piece! I'm going to have to do some looking into that homage watch community, thanks for putting me on to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaner View Post
    Thumbs up for a great looking time piece! I'm going to have to do some looking into that homage watch community, thanks for putting me on to this.
    Sure thing, post up a pic if you end up purchasing one.

I have a tough time with homage - but I have strange feelings about marketing, branding, intellectual property, etc.

I figured if I created something spent the time on research, styling, marketing etc and sent to market and someone waited till it "caught" then ripped off my design I would be pissed. As I would not want it done to me I won't do it to others.

I also own JLC, Bell & Ross and other "name brand" watches and I don't want to wear a homage and have people also assume my other watches as also not the real deal.
    PINK is the new BLACK

Dont worry about what other people will think or say, you wear it because you like it and who cares if its not the real deal. I see a lot a lot of people having fake items, and some even show off, and some dont even have a clue that its a knockoff!! So as long as youre happy with it wear it...
    - Sin City Bomber -

Quote Originally Posted by K Baz View Post
    I have a tough time with homage - but I have strange feelings about marketing, branding, intellectual property, etc.

I figured if I created something spent the time on research, styling, marketing etc and sent to market and someone waited till it "caught" then ripped off my design I would be pissed. As I would not want it done to me I won't do it to others.

I also own JLC, Bell & Ross and other "name brand" watches and I don't want to wear a homage and have people also assume my other watches as also not the real deal.
    I completely understand your opinion. I would not wear a homage that was labeled, they have to be sterile. I have been asked about mine and have said it is NOT a Panerai , but a generic watch that resembles a vintage Italian navy watch. I then go into the whole Panerai history.
    I do think for serious watch enthusiasts it is a way to get the feel for one without having to drop $6k and end up not liking it.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Fuego's Avatar

nice pam homage cw...just placed an order for one from getat

cool congrats! should have pm 'd me i could have set you up with a guy out of NC, that is who did my two.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast