Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for a new watch, please help me choose!

This is a discussion on Looking for a new watch, please help me choose! within the Watches forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Hi everybody! My girlfriend and I got engaged last week in Puerto Rico! She got the diamond ring and now ...

Looking for a new watch, please help me choose!

Hi everybody!

My girlfriend and I got engaged last week in Puerto Rico! She got the diamond ring and now she would like to offer me a new watch to symbolize our union til I get to wear a wedding band!

Price upper limit around 800$ and readily available (though we could work something out if it's a model difficult to acquire).

So far, I have in my mind:

Hamilton Khaki Pilot (I have yet to figure if the 46mm is too big for my wrist and if I should go with the 42mm)

Tissot Heritage PR 516 (never saw one of these and can't seem to find it on the online shops I usually visit)

Tissot Tradition Perpetual Calendar in rose gold

Tissot T-Lord Automatic (the one without any subdial)

Victorinox Dive Master 500 in PVD black

I don't have a precise idea of what I'm looking for as I love many kind of watch, I only want something clean looking and swiss or german made (there's a couple of Steinhart and Archimede that tempts me!)

So if you have any suggestion, please post! (with reference pictures!)

Thank you!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

Re: Looking for a new watch, please help me choose!

Damn. Got all excited to talk about watches but you are looking in a much higher bracket then my typical experience... Still... TAG for some good looking watch pictures.
    Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Puffer Fish with many spikes zephead61's Avatar

Victorinox !

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

A wristwatch? I dunno, I think I'd get a couple/three boxes of these instead:

You could even then share one with the new bride!
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    A wristwatch? I dunno, I think I'd get a couple/three boxes of these instead:

You could even then share one with the new bride!
    You could wear a cigar band as a ring
    Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Seriously, I haven't worn my watch in many, many weeks. When I do wear one, it's usually this:

I got it because I got tired of dead batteries, it amused my daughter that she can watch it work, and I honestly ended up liking that I have to actually wind the thing.

I miss the old days - a sure sign of impending codgerdom.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Or, if your mind is set, at least get something practical:

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    Or, if your mind is set, at least get something practical:

sweet... now thats what i need!!!
    - Sin City Bomber -

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Timex Weekender! $20 at Amazon!

(Then buy $780 worth of cigars!)
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Hahaha, great responses guys! But as much as I like cigars, I like great time pieces even more (I think?) and I am quite thrilled to know that I'll soon add another one to my watch box!

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post
    Hahaha, great responses guys! But as much as I like cigars, I like great time pieces even more (I think?) and I am quite thrilled to know that I'll soon add another one to my watch box!
    do you have PICS???
    - Sin City Bomber -

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Of the ones you listed, I'd go with the Lord Automatic or the Hamilton, personally. But thats primarily because it's the most classic-looking. Some of the others I'd be afraid might not age well.
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Sssssssssssssssssssssssss cartey's Avatar

First of all, congratulations Shawn!
    Your current selection of watches... is really wide! lol We have from pilot watch to dress watch to diver watch.
    I think, when purchasing a watch that you're actually going to wear, you need to figure out which style you really want, which style looks good on you, OR simply which one you don't have yet. XD
    Both Hamilton and Tissot are pretty much dedicated watch brands whereas Victorinox makes a lot of things; personally I'd pick those two over Vic.
    Hamilotn Pilots are manly and practical, and the Tissot Perpetual Calendar is down right elegant and SEXY! Those two get my votes among these.

Lastly, did I mention congratulations?

Sssssssssssssssssssssssss cartey's Avatar

Generic Hamilton Khaki Pilot

Generic Tissot Heritage

Generic Tissot Perpetual Calendar

Generic Tissot T-Lord

Generic Victorinox Dive Master
    Last edited by cartey; 10-11-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Photo attachment fail

Hamilton all the way. Best bang for buck
    I have 5 Hamiltons and get more compliments on them than my Zenith or Breitling.
    Veni Vidi Vici

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast