Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

How's Madison?

This is a discussion on How's Madison? within the Wisconsin forums, part of the Members and Places to Smoke by Area category; I've got a job offer on the table in Madison making more than I do here in Dallas, Tx. Websites ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

How's Madison?

I've got a job offer on the table in Madison making more than I do here in Dallas, Tx. Websites say cost of living is lower, so it should be like taking an even bigger raise, but googling around...I've found:

1. Apartments tend to be more expensive. The apartments I can get here for $600 a month are nicer than the apartments I can find there for $600. Here, I could get a two bedroom with washer/dryer hookups. There, I'm likely to get a one bedroom without washer/dryer hookups in unit.

2. Restaurants seem really expensive. Alot of the places I eat here are $7-$8 a plate. Up there, it seems like $11-$12 are normal. Just googling around and looking at menus.

3. State tax. Wisconsin has a 5.5% state income tax I believe. Texas no state income tax.

4. Auto insurance should be alot cheaper in Wisconsin, but can someone tell me...would it be possible to live in Madison without using a car daily? My fiance wants to go to school and if she did she'd be going up there. Is the bus system good enough to actually take to class every day? Especially in winter...

If anyone can help me with these questions, much appreciated.

Re: How's Madison?

Quote Originally Posted by Brinson View Post
    I've got a job offer on the table in Madison making more than I do here in Dallas, Tx. Websites say cost of living is lower, so it should be like taking an even bigger raise, but googling around...I've found:

1. Apartments tend to be more expensive. The apartments I can get here for $600 a month are nicer than the apartments I can find there for $600. Here, I could get a two bedroom with washer/dryer hookups. There, I'm likely to get a one bedroom without washer/dryer hookups in unit.

2. Restaurants seem really expensive. Alot of the places I eat here are $7-$8 a plate. Up there, it seems like $11-$12 are normal. Just googling around and looking at menus.

3. State tax. Wisconsin has a 5.5% state income tax I believe. Texas no state income tax.

4. Auto insurance should be alot cheaper in Wisconsin, but can someone tell me...would it be possible to live in Madison without using a car daily? My fiance wants to go to school and if she did she'd be going up there. Is the bus system good enough to actually take to class every day? Especially in winter...

If anyone can help me with these questions, much appreciated.
    Well I have lived in around mad-town for about 10 years. And let me tell you there's nothing like it.

I would agree the apartments are fairly expensive here, but if you check around you actually get a lot for your money. I used to live on the West Side and i had a 11 sq ft apartment for 900 a month.

Yes the restaurants around the square and downtown are more expensive, but at least your not eating at apple bee's every night.

You could absolutely live in Madison without a car they have a fantastic transit system.

Madison is very cosmopolitan it's like living in a little big city, with much less crime.

What kind of job is it and where would it be?
    You can tell a good cigar in the first inch but you won't know a great cigar till you burn your fingers.

Re: How's Madison?

+1 for everything he just said.

I go to school here, NOT at UW, and the buses are still great. (Better for those at UW!)

There are a few place to actually go smoke (eventhough there's a state smoking ban)