hard top or glass top humidors? [Archive] - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

: hard top or glass top humidors?

Titus13
07-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I was just wondering what you experienced cigar smokers like and why?

orca99usa
07-04-2009, 08:16 PM
I have two glass tops. It wasn't a conscious choice, just what I got the best deal on. I like being able to read the digital hygrometer without opening the humidor.

Jack Straw
07-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Personally I prefer all-wood humidors, but don't dislike glass ones.

Egis
07-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Personally I prefer all-wood humidors, but don't dislike glass ones.

Me 2!!!

DSturg369
07-04-2009, 11:50 PM
I have both and they both work well. It's all a personal choice.

MattB
07-07-2009, 01:31 PM
it's what you like as said, you wouldn't want to leave a glass top in the sun, but you wouldn't want to do that to an all wood humi either... go with one you will be happy looking at

Herf N Turf
07-07-2009, 01:37 PM
I think it depends on personal preference and environment. I personally prefer all wood over glass, since glass is a crappy insulator and my room isn't the most temperature stabile place on earth. Also, if you go with glass, keep it out of the light as much as possible.

longburn
07-07-2009, 02:25 PM
I have a smaller hard top which I use as a dry box.I store my cigars at 70% but like to smoke them at about 65%.

My larger humidor is a glass front display humidor.Years ago I went with the glass because with a solid case I found myself peeking in everytime I walked by just to admire the gars,to check the humidity and temp and to check on them.This of course was screwing up my humidity.

phalynx
07-24-2009, 03:00 AM
I find myself torn between the two. Sometimes I like the glass to show off my stash. But then again, I like having a well controlled environment that only all wood can do.

flwareagle
08-05-2009, 01:01 PM
I find myself torn between the two. Sometimes I like the glass to show off my stash. But then again, I like having a well controlled environment that only all wood can do.

Same here - love the look of glass. I show off the wine, so i feel like i should show off the cigars too :mrgreen:

teoulennon
08-05-2009, 01:32 PM
I feel the same as everyone else here. The main drawback to solid wood is that you can't resist opening it up to look! I'd get two and have the best of both worlds! :smoke2:

rlupojr
08-05-2009, 01:40 PM
I think the appreciation for the Cigars is in the Smoking, and you should appreciate the humidor just as much! So no Glass for me!

Yellowfever
08-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Glass all the way but not too much glass. Glass front or glass top but not one of those 4 sided glass units.

Glass so you can see the little piggies and to see the RH level. If you open it to see it you are disturbing the RH level. Some people, Like myself get caught up on checking it too much so glass is the way to go for me..

AspiringGent
08-05-2009, 02:19 PM
I myself quite like the glass tops, mainly for aesthetic reasons. I like being able to see my sticks. I also have a hygrometer on the top shelf that I can see through the glass, which means I can check temp and humidity without opening it up.

apevia
08-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I like glass so I can see/show off my smokes without having to open it up. However, I have a problem with light and that may eventually have a negative effect on my smokes

pitbulljimmy
08-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I happened to get a deal on a solid wood Humidor when I bought mine, and I love the way it looks... I think my next bigger one will be all wood too!

:canada:

Sigarz
08-12-2009, 07:56 PM
I think all wood humis look a lot nicer and you dont have to worry as much about the greenhouse effects.

Dgar
08-12-2009, 08:17 PM
With desk tops, either is fine, its a personal preference. Better chance of getting a good seal with an all wood box in my opinion. Glass is cool though you can admire all your little beauties.

I think having a desktop or two is okay...... But should your collection grow you might want to consider a cooler or vintotemp, both do a much better job of maintaing the humidity in my opinion...

Not very pretty but coolers are probably the best bang for your buck when it comes to cigar storage.... a cooler with beads, and your set!

rlupojr
08-12-2009, 08:59 PM
When you have glass that means that it is not totally lined in Cedar so What is the ratio needed to ensure humidity???????

I am making some humidors and the stuff can get expensive. If I ca save a few bucks and pass that on to who build for it would be great.

Herf N Turf
08-13-2009, 12:45 PM
When you have glass that means that it is not totally lined in Cedar so What is the ratio needed to ensure humidity???????

I am making some humidors and the stuff can get expensive. If I ca save a few bucks and pass that on to who build for it would be great.

There is no "ratio" and in all reality, you don't need any. Most prefer cedar for its ability to hold a lot of moisture and release it fairly predictably. Any non-pungent wood is fine, however. In times past, humidors were lined with tin, silver, ceramics and glass. Cedar is a fairly recent development. As a result, most current aficianadae look down their noses at a box, which is not predomenantly lined in cedar. I've seen some beautiful custom humidors that were made with solid exotic woods, which had only cedar trays and floor.

rlupojr
08-13-2009, 01:11 PM
As a result, most current aficianadae look down their noses at a box, which is not predomenantly lined in cedar. I've seen some beautiful custom humidors that were made with solid exotic woods, which had only cedar trays and floor.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much. That was what I had assumed but you know what happens with that. I do appreciate it!!

WaxingMoon
08-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Since I'm a woodworker, I definitely prefer all wood.

bxcarracer
08-17-2009, 02:15 AM
I wish I had money for a decent humidor. All I have now is a heavily reinforced ashton belicoso box.

jeffgo255
08-27-2009, 01:14 PM
I got lucky and picked up one when a local shop was going out of business--- sad to see that! I got a 500 count end table with glass top for $500....I love it. I can finally age some cigars.

SkinsFanLarry
08-27-2009, 01:38 PM
I guess mine is part greed.....I don't like glass top's because I don't want anybody to see what I got....it's mine, all mine!

An all wood humidor, with the different patterns out there, just looks allot nicer to me.

smokeymedic
05-12-2010, 03:57 AM
Okay, aesthetics aside, has anyone noticed a significant humidity difference in glass vs. all wood?

bloominonion
05-12-2010, 05:55 AM
If it has a good seal, you won't notice a humidity difference. And as far as sunlight and whatnot are concerned, leave either in the direct sun, you are gonna be putting your sticks in a solar oven. It all is a personal thing really. If you are putting the humi in an area with stable temp, it will not matter what type you get outside of your own aesthetic pleasures. I like the glass top so I can admire and check on my sticks w/o opening the humi, therefore leading to a more stable and happy environment for the sticks.

Long story short, if you like it, get it.

Mante
05-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Okay, aesthetics aside, has anyone noticed a significant humidity difference in glass vs. all wood?
Short answer is no. I have both and one of the glass tops is the best at holding RH. It's also the smallest unfortunately. LOL.

ongreystreet
05-12-2010, 08:25 AM
I prefer all wood/no glass. I know what cigars look like, that's why I have over 150 of them.

A glass top just allows more seams, more places for the box to not be air tight. If you buy a glass top, you have to be extra careful to check the seal and the construction, I've heard of glass tops losing their seal over time if something comes loose due to never being well built in the first place.

Mante
05-12-2010, 08:30 AM
I prefer all wood/no glass. I know what cigars look like, that's why I have over 150 of them.

A glass top just allows more seams, more places for the box to not be air tight. If you buy a glass top, you have to be extra careful to check the seal and the construction, I've heard of glass tops losing their seal over time if something comes loose due to never being well built in the first place.
This is a continuing argument that has been debated many times & I'm not going to fire it up again. That being said, think on one thing, A humi is not supposed to be "Airtight" as it is actually a handicap in long term storage.

asmartbull
05-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Have
Coolers
Glass top
All wood
Coolers with boxes works best for me
They also keep the sticks cooler (get it)..in the Summer months

Yamaha53
05-22-2010, 08:09 PM
I only have two all wood 50ct humidors. I read an earlier post that made me think of myself. I don't want anyone (wife) seeing my stash and knowing how much I have been spending :heh:

EricF
05-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Hey guys, I am new here and i found this place while ordering a new humi for my birthday! Wife told me to!!! Anyway i ordered a glass top just becouse they look pretty cool and i like checking and not opening. My 50ct is all wood and like evryone else i stop by and look in.

southsider
10-21-2010, 09:09 PM
I only have two all wood 50ct humidors. I read an earlier post that made me think of myself. I don't want anyone (wife) seeing my stash and knowing how much I have been spending :heh:

That's a very good point. I have a glass top and my gar's are exposed. My wife is not the problem, it's when the boys come over they can see my stash.
I have to be carefull.

Cigolle
10-22-2010, 12:07 AM
I think it is a personal preference. I have one of both and they both seem to perform at the same level. Although i tend to keep my nicer sticks in the all wood one so I am not tempted to smoke them to early.

fuente~fuente
10-22-2010, 02:23 AM
I have two glass tops & one that's all wood & they all hold pretty much the same for me.

Wiseguy1982
10-22-2010, 02:30 AM
Coolers with boxes works best for me...

I bet they do, I wish I had ONE box of cigars...:(

Leafs42084
10-28-2010, 04:23 PM
I think for beginners, you should go with a glasstop.

I started with a 50 count all wood humidor and it was really hard to keep humidity. I think its because I kept taking peeks to see if the humidity was ok.

Since then, I have given my 50 count to a friend, and bought a 150 count glasstop, and a 200 count glasstop. I think this is the way to go, I still constantly check humidity, and I can do it without opening the humidor.

Also, I always keep one of all my cigars on the top shelf... so I can look through the glass and decide what to smoke before opening. I feel like if I didnt do it this way, I would leave my humidor open way too long lol.

I like being able to monitor all my hygrometers and beads without opening the humidor.

But whatever you like, thats definitely the way to go

jswaykos
10-28-2010, 04:35 PM
I like glass tops because I think half the fun of 'collecting' cigars is looking at and displaying them. Much easier to do with a glass top since it won't have to be opened.

That said, I don't even own a glass top, just a 50ct wood humidor that I picked up many years ago. Time to upgrade, for sure, I just want to wait until after my b-day to make sure I don't have one already coming!

GentlemanJester
10-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Aesthetically I think glass adds a lot to a humidor. As long as the seal is good it really doesn't matter... I'd even be open to the idea of a humidor almost entirely of glass, which I guess is what most display ones are...

Mr. Slick
10-28-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm working with a glass top now but my next humi will be all wood.

I read a post on this thread about keeping one of every stick in the top row for display. I did that. . . untill I had too many different kinds of sticks- lol it was fun while it lasted.

logos
12-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I just ordered a WM wood top hum

It cant get here soon enough!

jswaykos
12-10-2010, 01:45 PM
I like glass tops only because to me, gawking at my collection is almost as fun as actually smoking the darn things. I do, however, have a smaller all wood humi that is currently being reseasoned. I intend to use it for 'overflow'. I don't want to stuff my glass humi to the gills, so I'll keep a nice mix of my smokes in there, maybe 3 or 4 of each kind, and everything else will be in the wood box.

Batista30
12-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Reading through all the posts, everyone is pretty much right...whatever suits you! My "humidors" were tuppidors and then to coolidors. When I finally decided to purchase some ($10+) premium cigars, I bought a 150 ct glass top humidor with 3 drawers. I knew that I would be opening it way too many times if it were all wood just to look at the smokes, so the glass top allows me to stare at em and check the RH while keeping it closed. The key here, is to make sure it's a quality unit.

Zfog
12-12-2010, 10:08 AM
I have 3 humis and none have any glass. I guess I am old fashioned. Although you guys raise a good point about being able to see inside w/out opening it up to look at your sticks! That is pretty good, as I am always doing this. I have an edgestar on the way so that should help some.

So I agree that someone new may want to get a glass top(as long as its decent quality and the seal is good at the glass)!

CraigJS
12-12-2010, 10:37 AM
I have 3 all wood humidors and a 8 box cooler. I open each box at least once a day and if seasoned properly, they don't lose more than a couple points. These couple of points are regained in a VERY short time.. I learned the seasoning and seal are the two most important things in a humidor, hard or glass. My boxes aren't for display, but to keep my sticks safe, smokeable, and allow them to mature into something perhaps exceptional. They have served me well... YMMV

BadMrFrosty
12-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Any opinions on "display" type humidors? Just got one for Christmas.

tiger187126
12-29-2010, 10:21 PM
i had a glass top humidor that recently lost it's seal for a reason i can't determine. i bought a solid humidor to replace it and it's been smooth sailing since then. definitely less day to day loss.

Jstone
12-29-2010, 11:43 PM
I like glass tops only because to me, gawking at my collection is almost as fun as actually smoking the darn things.

If you're single and/or aren't afraid of being scrutinized by a significant other for the amount of cash you're shelling out for your stogies, glass top all the way!

Stogin
12-31-2010, 05:46 PM
I prefer glass top too, even though it doesn't stop me from opening it to look at my sticks :D