Need Help Choosing A Humidor [Archive] - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

: Need Help Choosing A Humidor

rajuabju
07-12-2009, 02:25 AM
I am looking to buy a high end (or relatively high end) humidor... I dont want a full sized cabinet as I dont have the room, and I'm looking for something that holds between 250-400 cigars.

Budget is up to about $300, though if someone has a recommendation of something really great thats a bit more I'd consider it.

I prefer something that has a window on it, as I love to look at my cigars and dont want to have to keep opening it up to do so :)

DSturg369
07-12-2009, 02:30 AM
Any of these fit the bill? Imperfect Humidors: Cheap Humidors Cigar Humidor Cigar Accessories CheapHumidors.com (http://www.cheaphumidors.com/imperfects.html)

They may be labeled as "Imperfects", but you'll be hard pressed to find anything wrong with them.

Pugsley
07-12-2009, 02:53 AM
I've purchased several humidors from Cheaphumidors.com. The imperfects usually have barely noticeable scratches but nothing that affects the seal or functionality. If you can live without the window the Havana Footlocker is great for storing boxes. I recommend getting an Oasis Plus XL humidifier and upgrading to a digital hygrometer, still under $300 total. That's what I have for long term storage and a smaller one for singles.

Dom
07-12-2009, 02:54 AM
Sounds Like a Vinotemp might be the way to go.

28 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler - Vinotemp (http://www.vinotemp.com/View.aspx/2956/28-Bottle-Thermoelectric-Wine-Cooler)

The Woodsmen Humidor Cherry Imperfect*-*PremiumHumidors (http://www.premiumhumidors.com/shop/humidors/tower-humidors/the-woodsmen-humidor-cherry-imperfect.html)

1000+ Cigar End Table Humidor: Cheap Humidors Cigar Humidor Cigar Accessories CheapHumidors.com (http://www.cheaphumidors.com/HUM-LDCAB.html)

rajuabju
07-12-2009, 03:11 AM
I can live without the window and I'm liking the Havana Foot Locker... that looks like a good option.

I'm also looking at the Salerno from Tampa Humidors, going to do some searches about quality on that one right now. It's only $150 and holds 300 (I'm sure less then that in reality).

The Woodmen.... it looks kinda blah to me. Not sure why, I think its the finish, but just cant get myself to like it

golfermd
07-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Contact Jeremy at Pro Humidors. He is a great guy who will help you with all the questions you have. I know, I talked with him on the phone. I asked lots of questions which he patiently answered. He stands by his products, and is a true gentleman...

rajuabju
07-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Sigh. I knew this would happen.

Now I'm looking (and drooling) at the Trivoli over at Tampa ... 1000ct.

I will check out ProHumidors right now, thx.

I know I'm going to end up spending more, and getting something bigger, than I originally planned.

AspiringGent
07-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I have the Salerno from Tampa Humidors and I love it. Can't go wrong.

Herf N Turf
07-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Sigh. I knew this would happen.

Now I'm looking (and drooling) at the Trivoli over at Tampa ... 1000ct.

I will check out ProHumidors right now, thx.

I know I'm going to end up spending more, and getting something bigger, than I originally planned.
Smart man. Always double what you "think" you need. ;)

rajuabju
07-12-2009, 02:04 PM

Exactly... right now, I have 2 Savoy humidors that each hold about 75-100 cigars, and both are 75% full. Plus, a friend of mine has about 20 cigars (Padron 1926 Anniversary :) :) :) ) that he wants me to keep for him (lol, smoke for him) since his humidor is not the greatest.

And I've been eyeing both a box of Rocky Patel Decade and my wonderful Ashton VSG Belicoso #1 that I cant live without.

Yea, I'm gonna need something bigger. I still dont want to get a full sized cabinet. But the Trivoli may end up being the route to go

Herf N Turf
07-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Something to consider. You live in LA and IIRC, LA gets HOT! Not sure what youre AC situation is, but glass is a pretty lousy insulator. It probably doesnt matter a lot if youre going to store closed boxes in the lower part of that Trivoli, but personally Id go with something like the Lexington, which has solid doors.

Maybe its just me, but I really like having several different desktops. I have five ATM, ranging from a (actual) 150ct, down to 25ct. I like to segregate things by brand, country/island of origin, grade, etc., and one I use simply as a dry box. WAYYY down the road, I could see getting a large cabinet, but I'd probably store the desktops in it, until I out grew it, then just use it for bulk and revert to the desktops for daily smokes.

bimmian
07-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Exactly... right now, I have 2 Savoy humidors that each hold about 75-100 cigars, and both are 75% full. Plus, a friend of mine has about 20 cigars (Padron 1926 Anniversary :) :) :) ) that he wants me to keep for him (lol, smoke for him) since his humidor is not the greatest.

And I've been eyeing both a box of Rocky Patel Decade and my wonderful Ashton VSG Belicoso #1 that I cant live without.

Yea, I'm gonna need something bigger. I still dont want to get a full sized cabinet. But the Trivoli may end up being the route to go

Do you see yourself ending up with a cabinet in the future? I've been putting the purchase off for years and now I have 7 desktops and I'm STILL wanting a cabinet.. Just a thought. I've had my eye on the end tables/nightstands @ cheaphumidors for awhile now and I think I may take the plunge soon. They had one called "the connoisseur" that I thought was absolutely beautiful, but I don't think they make it anymore.. Now I'm looking at "the lauderdale", which appears similar and is selling for only about $320 + shipping.. (which is the crappiest part about living in Hawaii.. Shipping to me will bring it up to abt. $5-600, I think.) If you're gonna get one later on anyway, why not now? That's my situation at least.. Happy hunting!

rab1957
07-22-2009, 12:44 PM
I check Craig's List on a regular bases for humidors. I've gotten a nice desk top and I just picked this up on Monday.
https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=29827&stc=1&d=1248277332

I paid $100.00 for it and have to buy the humidifcation system and control unit. I'll have a total of $400 in it to get it up and running, including purchase cost. You never know what you might find if you have the time to wait and look around a bit.

mrreindeer
07-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Sounds Like a Vinotemp might be the way to go.

Seriously, you're in the same situation I was in last Fall. And I'm also in L.A. and I was just getting started up last summer, well, from March but more actively adding in the summer.

You absolutely should get a temperature controled unit. I'm not sure where in the city you live, but I guarantee that you'll be worrying about temperature issues and fighting the probability of getting beetles if you're not careful. I'm not trying to freak you out but your sticks should be no higher than 70 degrees and 70% relative humidity (you probably already know this). Well, these days, it certainly hasn't been 70; it's been considerably higher, all over.

I was freaking out last summer when my humidor, stored in the coolest part of the house, approached temps in the mid-80's! And guess what, I had a beetle outbreak. I isolated the suspect cigar, picked up a temperature controlled Vinotemp, threw some cedar shelves/drawers in there and I've been at a perfect & steady 65/65 ever since.

It's great not having to worry about it anymore. I have 3 temp/humidity sensors in the thing and I'll check them every once in awhile from a remote base unit that's outside the Vino (because the thermostat on the unit might not be perfect) and I'll rarely have to adjust.

Seriously, best $150 (28-bottle Vino on clearance from Target) I ever spent. Definitely worth the piece of mind.

And I never thought I'd fill my Vino but guess what....I'm getting close. (that's why I bought 2! all at your $300 budget and you'd be spending $1,000 up for something similar in a cabinet)

Plus, a friend of mine has about 20 cigars (Padron 1926 Anniversary :) :) :) ) that he wants me to keep for him (lol, smoke for him) since his humidor is not the greatest.

Hahhaa, great cigars...Padron & RP Decade! :tu

I've gotten a nice desk top and I just picked this up on Monday.
https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=29827&stc=1&d=1248277332

Sweet!

rajuabju
07-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Do you see yourself ending up with a cabinet in the future? I've been putting the purchase off for years and now I have 7 desktops and I'm STILL wanting a cabinet.. Just a thought. I've had my eye on the end tables/nightstands @ cheaphumidors for awhile now and I think I may take the plunge soon. They had one called "the connoisseur" that I thought was absolutely beautiful, but I don't think they make it anymore.. Now I'm looking at "the lauderdale", which appears similar and is selling for only about $320 + shipping.. (which is the crappiest part about living in Hawaii.. Shipping to me will bring it up to abt. $5-600, I think.) If you're gonna get one later on anyway, why not now? That's my situation at least.. Happy hunting!

Eventually? One day? Yes, absolutely. One day when cost is no issue, I want a giant cabinet from Bob Staebell. I'm in love with his woodwork and quality. I'd have him build me the most outrageous cabinet of all time. Then I'd fill it with cigars :) But for now, thats not even close to reality. I live in an apartment, dont have the room, and I dont want something that expensive (or filled with that expensive of items). I dont see myself getting to the point of having 1500+ cigars within the next decade; I'm only 27 and have other priorities for money.

I check Craig's List on a regular bases for humidors. I've gotten a nice desk top and I just picked this up on Monday.

I paid $100.00 for it and have to buy the humidifcation system and control unit. I'll have a total of $400 in it to get it up and running, including purchase cost. You never know what you might find if you have the time to wait and look around a bit.

Thats an amazing deal you got. But I've decided its not the best route for me because of space and other issues mentioned above. I dont want a full sized cabinet until I one day buy a place and really "settle in"

rajuabju
07-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Anyhow, thanks to everyone for the suggestions, they are all very much appreciated. I've decided to pickup a Trivoli from Tampa Humidors in a couple of weeks. It holds enough singles and boxes, I think it will be the right combo for me and last at least 10 years before I have to really worry about being full on storage space. It's a small cabinet which I can make room for nicely. Considering I was originally looking at something that would hold 250-350, and this holds closer to 1000, I should be pretty set for a while. I hope.

Now the only question is Mahogany or Cherry :) The pictures on their site are not the greatest to show the wood colors, anyone have some images I can compare??

Habanolover
07-22-2009, 01:14 PM
WAL-MART!!!

http://imagestore.puff.com/2009/07/22/p_2662311_0.jpg

rab1957
07-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Anyhow, thanks to everyone for the suggestions, they are all very much appreciated. I've decided to pickup a Trivoli from Tampa Humidors in a couple of weeks. It holds enough singles and boxes, I think it will be the right combo for me and last at least 10 years before I have to really worry about being full on storage space. It's a small cabinet which I can make room for nicely. Considering I was originally looking at something that would hold 250-350, and this holds closer to 1000, I should be pretty set for a while. I hope.

Now the only question is Mahogany or Cherry :) The pictures on their site are not the greatest to show the wood colors, anyone have some images I can compare??

The picture of the cabinet humidor I had in an earlier post on this thread is Honduran Mahogany if that helps

rajuabju
07-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Alrighty, after much review, thought, research, and recommendation, I've just placed my order for the Trivoli (in Mahogany) from Tampa Humidors.

It's being shipped ground, so probably will take a week or so to get out here (I'm in Cali). So I get to enjoy a week of anticipation, and plotting my future cigar purchases :)

Oh boy. I have a feeling this is only the beginning of my expenses

Also, I got a Cigar Oasis XL Plus.... whats the difference between the "plus" and non-plus version? I cant really tell any?

friz
08-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Any of you guys order from premium humidors

Sigarz
08-13-2009, 07:27 PM
The picture of the cabinet humidor I had in an earlier post on this thread is Honduran Mahogany if that helps

nice find! the wood alone would cost more than 100. show us the pics of it filled