Xikar X8 Cutter [Archive] - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

: Xikar X8 Cutter

fuente~fuente
09-30-2010, 12:48 AM
Well, I shared in another thread here recently that I just purchased one of the new cutters from Xikar, the X8. I decided to go ahead & give a review & let the BOTL here get the down low on this little guy.

This cutter is made of a hard plastic, with the same blades used in the Xi line, & is marketed as being able to cut a 64 RG cigar in half. I believe it, although I haven't tried it yet. :biggrin1:
This cutter is reasonably priced between $20-$25, depending on where you look, & comes in a few different color combo's.

The first thing that you'll notice is how very similar it looks to a Palio in design... It even has the curvatured depression to hold your fine stogie while your relaxing with your favorite bretheren. I've heard from a very good source that this has been dubbed by the head honcho's at Xikar "The Palio Killer". Those are awefully strong words, but at half the price, it's a good starting point...:tape2: I'm not willing to jump on that conclusion myself yet, but I'll admit... The dang thing works like a champ right now, & we'll see how these new Chinese blades that Xikar are using, hold up like the German Solingen blades they used prior. And like I said in the other thread... In my opinion this cutter already makes a better cut than the Xi. Yes... I said it. ;)

Here's some pics...

http://imagestore.puff.com/2010/09/29/p_2985582_0.jpg

http://imagestore.puff.com/2010/09/29/p_2985582_1.jpg

http://imagestore.puff.com/2010/09/29/p_2985582_2.jpg

http://imagestore.puff.com/2010/09/29/p_2985582_3.jpg

http://imagestore.puff.com/2010/09/29/p_2985582_4.jpg

http://imagestore.puff.com/2010/09/29/p_2985582_5.jpg

So far I'm pretty impressed by this cutter. It's not as high a quality as the Palio as far as the frame goes, as Palio uses the "high quality polymers", the Palio does seem a bit more sturdy. You can also take the Palio apart to clean it, which is another perk. The blades feel a little tighter on the Palio too, but... At half the $$$, you gotta give up a little something right? Anyways, the cut is what's important to most of us, & that's where the X8 delivers so far. :nod:

I'll update this thread at a later time to fill you all in on how it's held up. :thumb: Like I said though... Right now, it's performing, & I'm very happy with the purchase. :)

Tman
09-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Very nice! I was actually looking around for Xikar cutters a month ago. I wish I'd known about the X8 cutter then. I don't like the regular cutters as it seems to slip out of my hand very easily. I like the double guillotine with a holes for the fingers.

I went for the MTX Multi Tool cutters and they work like a champ. I like the tools that comes with it and it folds up to smaller than any cutters I know. That being said, X8 might have to be my next purchase. Thanks for sharing!

fuente~fuente
09-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Very nice! I was actually looking around for Xikar cutters a month ago. I wish I'd known about the X8 cutter then. I don't like the regular cutters as it seems to slip out of my hand very easily. I like the double guillotine with a holes for the fingers.

I went for the MTX Multi Tool cutters and they work like a champ. I like the tools that comes with it and it folds up to smaller than any cutters I know. That being said, X8 might have to be my next purchase. Thanks for sharing!

The MTX is a great product.

Although, it maybe not as noob friendly... Seems like you need to know what your doing with it, & have a steady hand apparently. I have seen a few guys shred some sticks using it it. :lol:

Tman
09-30-2010, 01:56 PM
The MTX is a great product.

Although, it maybe not as noob friendly... Seems like you need to know what your doing with it, & have a steady hand apparently. I have seen a few guys shred some sticks using it it. :lol:

I could totally see that! :lol: It does make it harder to cut it 90, but it's not too bad. Just look at blade angle before you cut and *snip*. :D

eyesack
10-02-2010, 03:46 AM
Great insight, Jason! By the way, if you don't mind me asking, where did you buy yours from? I seem to have misplaced my xi2 and have always been a fan of the guillotine-style a bit more anyway.

mavmech13
10-02-2010, 04:13 AM
Hey bro mine came in the mail today. I haven't had the chance to use it yet but hopefully I'll get the chance to this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation bro

fuente~fuente
10-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Great insight, Jason! By the way, if you don't mind me asking, where did you buy yours from? I seem to have misplaced my xi2 and have always been a fan of the guillotine-style a bit more anyway.

Hey stranger!!! :spy: :lol:

Good to see ya back Isaac. I actually bought this one from my B&M, but you can find them about anywhere bro.

Here's the cheapest I've found. Xikar Lighters | Xikar Accessories | Xikar Cutters | Genuine Tobacco (http://www.genuinetobacco.com/xikar.asp)
I know this isn't politically correct, but... They have some retarded prices on their Xikar stuff!!! :shocked:

^^^Has anyone ever ordered from these cats? Their shipping is kinda high, & their "cigar" section is right out of Walgreens. :lol:

Other than the mystery site above Isaac, I know these guys are legit anyway.

XiKAR X8 208SL 64 Ring Gauge Cigar Cutter Black - Vintage Chic Cigar LLC (http://www.vintagechiccigar.com/product_info.php?products_id=1738)

Hope this helps you out brother! :biggrin:

fuente~fuente
10-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Hey bro mine came in the mail today. I haven't had the chance to use it yet but hopefully I'll get the chance to this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation bro

Sweet! Let me know how it works for ya. I'd love your opinion on it too. :ss

jbrown287
10-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Chic cigar is very legit, I have purchased almost all of my xikar products through his ebay store(Paul Briganti). Going to go shopping for the X8 on there right now.

fuente~fuente
10-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Chic cigar is very legit, I have purchased almost all of my xikar products through his ebay store(Paul Briganti). Going to go shopping for the X8 on there right now.

Yeah, they're legit. I'm wondering about the 1st linky above them... Genuine Tobacco Co. Looks like they mostly cater to the smokeless crowd a bit more.

Have fun shopping! :lol:

mavmech13
10-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Sweet! Let me know how it works for ya. I'd love your opinion on it too. :ss

Finally got to use it this morning on a Nub Maduro. Now I haven't used real high end cutters but WOW this thing cuts like a hot knife thru butter. Very very nice cutter, I may buy another just to have a backup...

Definitely legit, that's where I got mine pretty quick shipping too

EdATX
12-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Drat.. I just bought a Palio the other day. But it never hurts to have extra cutters. Might have to order one of this next payday.

BMack
12-19-2010, 02:04 AM
Wow, that does give a nice cut! I'm sold, damn it this forum is starting to cost me a lot of money.

fuente~fuente
12-19-2010, 04:19 AM
Wow, that does give a nice cut! I'm sold, damn it this forum is starting to cost me a lot of money.

Since this thread has been revived again, I'll go ahead & give you a brief review of how it's now performing... Still cutting great!!! :smile:

fuente~fuente
12-19-2010, 04:20 AM
Drat.. I just bought a Palio the other day. But it never hurts to have extra cutters. Might have to order one of this next payday.

You can never have too much gear! :D

Tman
12-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Monster had it on for $16.98 today. I'm sure it'll be back on Mashup between 11pm-midnight (ET).

eyesack
12-20-2010, 07:36 PM
For the record, this cutter cuts better so far than my Xi2 ever did!

fuente~fuente
12-21-2010, 02:26 AM
For the record, this cutter cuts better so far than my Xi2 ever did!

It cuts better than any of the Xi's! I'm not just saying that because I own one, but because I mean it. I will be the first to say that I'm not exactly always enamored with Xikar's products. As a matter of fact, I think some of their stuff is not worth the $$$ spent for it. This cutter is worth the price, & if you can find a deal on one then that's just the cherry on top.:nod: If it starts to junk on me, then I'll say so, but as of now it was a good investment.

Grakken
02-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Always cuts sharply and neat for me. In fact, i had a punch that I always used but since getting this cutter, i now use it damn near 100%.

Richterscale
02-09-2011, 10:03 PM
I grabbed it for $15 off the monster 2 weeks ago. I am in love. I know it was on yesterday too which means.. watch out for it this Friday 6pm - 12am Eastern on MEGA mashup.

Mutombo
02-10-2011, 12:33 PM
I grabbed one off the mash last week as well. Great looking cutter. Doesn't feel as solid as my Palio, but it's a little slimmer and is VERY sharp.