The Salvador & Humidors4u Review [Archive] - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

: The Salvador & Humidors4u Review

Ucan
10-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Hey guys,

I wanted to review my new humidor (The Salvador) and the source i have purchased it from (Humidors4u).

After filling my 150 ct and 50 ct humidors, I needed a large humidor. My budget was $200. I wanted something modern and different. I spent almost a week searching and was disappointed to see the same humidors across several suppliers. It was really tough to find a modern looking, large humidor within my budget.

Then, I came across The Salvador. I really liked how it looked form the pictures but could not find any reviews about it. I found out that Prestige Imports imports it and found their website. From their website, I got the impression that it's are trustable company with decent products. At least they had a professional website and .pdf catalogue.

Then, I found out that there are only a few sources to buy it from. Humidors4u was one of them. I read a good review in one of cigar forums about Humidors4u's owner, Keith and decided to pull the trigger. I purchased The Salvadore for $179 + $16 shipping.

The next day, I called Humidors4u and Keith answered. I wanted to make sure he would ship it right away as I will be leaving the country for 2 weeks this Sunday. He double checked with his warehouse and confirmed it would be shipped right away. Meanwhile, I got a call from another source which I have contacted about the same humidor before and they told me that they sell the same humidor for $174 and free shipping. I told this to Keith and right away he agreed to refund me the difference. i received $21 refund in 10 minutes.

I received the humidor today. It's beautiful and decent quality. It's no Daniel marshall but still pretty good. It's huge but really sleek. It came with 2 metal humidifiers and a digital hygrometer (which is already calibrated by the way). There is a hidden metal plate between the cedar panels on the lip so the metal humidors and hygrometer attach magnetically.

I recommend the Salvatore humidor and Humidors4u. Keith was a pleasure to deal with.

Below are pictures. Enjoy.

Blackham
10-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Wow I'd have bought this instead of my DM if i knew about the site earlier. Let us know how well this thing holds its humidity

Ucan
10-07-2010, 11:18 PM
I did the "paper test" and it seems fine for now. Of course, time will tell.

Rock31
10-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Sounds like excellent customer service, I will keep them in mind when I need a new one. Thanks for the review,

Athion
10-08-2010, 01:13 AM
You know, Ive been looking for a new humidor myself, same budget etc. I was thinking about just doing a coolerdor, but I really dont have any place to put a cooler, whereas a nice Humidor, I can leave out, no need to hide it :)

Please keep us updated as to how well it works :) Might be the one I get as well :)

Herf N Turf
10-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Dang, Mike,

It looks like you did your homework and it paid off. I am certainly not one for "budget" humidors, but that one looks okay and your description sounds very fair. Well done!

Be sure and test it thoroughly and season it properly. I hope it serves you well for many years.

Thanks for the thread.

Plop007
10-08-2010, 04:23 AM
Awesome looking humidor.

marked
10-08-2010, 04:49 AM
That's a very sharp humidor. I like that is has an "Invisible Steel Lining Inside Lid Allows Humidifier & Hygrometer to Attach Magnetically." That's a great feature.

I'm coming up on being in a position where I'm going to need more storage space again. I'm reticent to buy another humidor (I have three...two 150's and a 100), but love the looks of this one.

zeavran1
10-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Very nice humi. Enjoy filling her up!

Jeff989
10-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I like it!! next time i get a humi im definitely gonna keep this model in mind!!

Ucan
10-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys. I will keep you posted.

Ucan
10-08-2010, 08:58 PM
OK. I have a question. I started seasoning the humidor by lightly wetting the interior of the humidor with distilled water. The interior absorbed the water in 5 minutes. I also charged the 2 humidifiers that came with the humidor and left them inside overnight. It's been 24 hours now and the humidity is 83%. I was expecting it to be much lower - around 60% maybe.

For a brand new humidor is this normal? How come only light wetting of the interior and 2 humidors could keep the humidity of a new humidor this high?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jeff989
10-08-2010, 09:18 PM
give it some time to stabilize.. like 5-7 days.. if its still high take one humidifier out... IMO also maybe placement of the humidor has something to do with it??

heck i wetted down my humi 4 times and it never got above 70% when seasoning it. but i also only used a small puck type humidifier.... Also are u using a 50/50 mix the first time filling them up????

i know someone here will chime in and mention beads or kitty litter lol

veteranvmb
10-08-2010, 09:19 PM
First let me say that is one nice humidor. Very unusual looking and different from most, is what makes it attractive.
As far as your question, I have my own ideas on how a humidor is to be seasoned and maintained, which will definatley be different then others thoughts here, so I will defer on this question.
One thing I can for sure tell you, patience is a virtue when it comes to humidors. Less action, and more time is always the key to get things perfect. I learned the hard way . LOL

Good luck with that new humidor, and when you get it to be solid and have your smokes in it, be sure to post some photos.

Much regards Jerry

Ucan
10-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Thanks for your advise.

I will be leaving the country for 2 weeks starting Sunday night. And I have around 40 cigars in their cello wraps that are outside. Should I wait the humidor to stabilize until I return or should I just put the cigars outside inside the humidor?

In other words: which one is worse? Leaving the cigars outside a humidor for 2 weeks or putting them in a humidor which is not seasoned (an 82% humidity at the moment)?

aroma
10-09-2010, 02:44 AM
When I researched desktops a few months ago, I found a large price gap between the cheap humidors and the high-end humidors. That one looks like it hits a sweet spot right in the middle of that gap. Nice!

It's possible that your humidor is reading high RH levels because it already had a fairly high moisture content when you got it. I've acquired several humidors this year, and, strangely enough, when I put calibrated hygrometers into them, they all registered RH's within a couple of percent of 65% RH before I did any seasoning! So none of them took more than a day or 2 to get to 65%. If I had wiped them down, put wet sponges into them, etc., they probably would have jumped into the 80's very quickly, like yours did.

Maybe we should amend our seasoning recommendations to start out by measuring the RH, in case the humidor happens to be already near, or even above, the target humidity right out of the box...

marked
10-09-2010, 03:44 AM
Thanks for your advise.

I will be leaving the country for 2 weeks starting Sunday night. And I have around 40 cigars in their cello wraps that are outside. Should I wait the humidor to stabilize until I return or should I just put the cigars outside inside the humidor?

In other words: which one is worse? Leaving the cigars outside a humidor for 2 weeks or putting them in a humidor which is not seasoned (an 82% humidity at the moment)?

You definitely don't want to leave them sitting out. I'd get a piece of tupperware and put the smokes in there. For a temporary solution, I'd probably pick up some kitty litter crystals, put 3-4oz in a container, wet them until about 50% are clear, and put that in the tupperware with your smokes.

marked
10-09-2010, 03:46 AM
Maybe we should amend our seasoning recommendations to start out by measuring the RH, in case the humidor happens to be already near, or even above, the target humidity right out of the box...

I think Herf's thread on seasoning does say to do this. However, I think you're correct that when the question comes up on the board, this is not mentioned.

EDIT: Just looked at Herf's seasoning thread again, and it does say to do that...

"Next, I took a pre-doing-anything, hygrometer reading. This revealed an RH of 54%. Ed was kind enough to ship it with three water pillows inside, which, no doubt, helped it a little from what the ambient humidity in his workshop must be.

Now that we've tested both seal and original RH, it's time to start seasoning."

Ucan
11-22-2010, 01:59 AM
Wanted to give you guys an update:

Humidor is doing really well. I put Herf a Dors and the humidity is constant at 65%. I definitely recommend it.

MATADOR
11-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Mike- What a nice looking humidor for under $200! Looks big enough to store a quite a few cigars. Where you at in Chicago?

Ucan
11-22-2010, 02:11 AM
Thanks. It's big, elegant and unique IMO.

I live in downtown. Diversey and Wolcott - a block from Costco.

Where do you live?

Mike- What a nice looking humidor for under $200! Looks big enough to store a quite a few cigars. Where you at in Chicago?

MATADOR
11-22-2010, 02:16 AM
I like it a lot, the wood is very similar to some exotic zebra wood!

River North is where I call home...Franklin and Ontario.

You go to any shops...Up Down, Iwan Ries?

Ucan
11-22-2010, 02:21 AM
Tried Up Town a few times but found prices to be too high. I did not come across any specials/ sales there either.

thegoldenmackid
11-22-2010, 02:45 AM
For the record, the humidor is made by Prestige, who is second to Quality Importers in terms of humidor production.

Glad to hear that it's working for you.

Dizzy
04-02-2011, 04:19 PM
For the record, the humidor is made by Prestige, who is second to Quality Importers in terms of humidor production.

Glad to hear that it's working for you.

I know this post is old, but the statement posed a question. All in all, is this a quality importer, or will you find a good one every now and then?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Stonedog
10-20-2011, 06:29 PM
I know this post is old, but the statement posed a question. All in all, is this a quality importer, or will you find a good one every now and then?

Thanks in advance for the info.

This thread is pretty old now, but I've got my eye on the salvador if/when I step up to a bigger humidor. Can anyone back up the claim that Prestige is "second" to Quality Importers? And, is that a statement of volume of production or quality of production?

To the OP, how is the Salvador holding up? Still happy with it?

Ucan
10-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Still holding strong.

Arizona-SB
11-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Thank you for the pictures. The pictures just made up my mind for me. I have been looking at this humidor for 6 months, but just couldn't pull the trigger. Now I have communicated with Keith at 1st Class Humidors also and he has agreed to throw me a little discount which is icing on the cake. Between your pics and Keith’s discount this has now become a no-brainer. I will be ordering it on my next payday 12-6-11.

I am Curious as to how yours is holding up and what type of humidification you use? I was going to pick up a Paradigm PH-6 (for 250 count) Humidifier. I currently have a Paradigm PH-3 (125 count)in my 100 count humidor and it has held perfectly at 70% for over 4 years now and only seems to require distilled water every 2 to 3 months. So I was going to stick with what I know works, unless you or anyone else has any better ideas.

Thanks again for your post.

Ucan
11-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Hi Scott,

The humidor is still holding up well. I really like it. I am using 65% heartfelt beads for humidification. I don't think they are necessary though. A regular flower-shop "oasis" should be good enough.

Enjoy your new humidifier and welcome to the forums.

Arizona-SB
12-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Merry Christmas everyone…

Well the Salvador humidor has arrived. The seasoning process has started. What a beautiful humidor, looks good and very well made

I do see some minor negatives which I will elaborate on a little later when I have some more time with it. Hey nothing's perfect.

The first thing that I have noticed is that there appears to be no way that this humidor can handle 250 cigars…. And I smoke robustos (5x50, 5x54). This baby looks like it can handle around 160 sticks at best, but this is simply based on calculations using the interior measurements only. I have not put actual cigars in it yet and I am really hoping that it will hold more that I am expecting. Perhaps Mike can answer the question of how much this humidor will actually hold.

Now in 20+ years of smoking cigars I have never had a humi that actually holds what it says it will hold but they are usually off by 10 or so. My two 50ct humis that I have now hold 40. This one seems to be off by almost 100…. I am hoping that my calculations are wrong because I have around 210 sticks to put in this!!!!

I will have my full review of this humidor in a couple of weeks.

aroma
12-28-2011, 05:22 AM
Could one of you guys who own The Salvador measure the thickness of the bottom? The best way to do that is probably by measuring the outside height (not counting legs) and subtracting the inside height. Thanks.

Arizona-SB
12-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Looks to be 1/2 inch thick. Outside measured 4-5/8" inside measured 4-1/8". Hope this helps.

aroma
12-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Great, thanks. The bottom is one area where humidor manufacturers cut corners. I have had cheap humidors with bottoms only 1/8" thick, and I suspect that is why they performed poorly. 1/2" should be enough to hold humidity, although I'd rather see 3/4" hardwood plus 1/4" Spanish cedar liner (but you'd only see that on much higher-priced units).

StogieNinja
12-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Merry Christmas everyone…

Well the Salvador humidor has arrived. The seasoning process has started. What a beautiful humidor, looks good and very well made

I do see some minor negatives which I will elaborate on a little later when I have some more time with it. Hey nothing's perfect.

The first thing that I have noticed is that there appears to be no way that this humidor can handle 250 cigars…. And I smoke robustos (5x50, 5x54). This baby looks like it can handle around 160 sticks at best, but this is simply based on calculations using the interior measurements only. I have not put actual cigars in it yet and I am really hoping that it will hold more that I am expecting. Perhaps Mike can answer the question of how much this humidor will actually hold.

Now in 20+ years of smoking cigars I have never had a humi that actually holds what it says it will hold but they are usually off by 10 or so. My two 50ct humis that I have now hold 40. This one seems to be off by almost 100…. I am hoping that my calculations are wrong because I have around 210 sticks to put in this!!!!

I will have my full review of this humidor in a couple of weeks.

Really looking forward to it!

BigDaddyJG
02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
I have been searching for a larger humidor for awhile. This one caught my eye. I came across this review and it sealed the deal. Order it last night. I tried humidors4u but they were sold out. Thanks for the help.

Kruz
05-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Big "thank you" to you Mike for this review and pictures. I have been eyeing this humidor for a while and think its something that will keep me while (space wise) for a good time. Your review confirmed it and I'm going to pull the trigger next month.

What configuration are you using with the beads? I was thinking of putting something on the lid and a small tube under the two shelfs so that everything stay humid. What are your thoughts on this?

zephead61
05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Nice humi Mike. Congrats and fill 'er up!

Arizona-SB
06-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Did I say I would have pics and a review in a couple of weeks? Guess that really means 6 months. Anyway, not much to say about this humidor except that for the price it is fantastic, just don’t expect to get 250 cigars in it. I currently have 138 robusto cigars in it and it is basically full. I might be able to strategically squeeze about 20 or 30 more in there. I only wish that this humidor was in inch or two deeper as that would make more room for the top shelves. It is definitely tight in the top shelf area.

So as to not be too wordy I have attached some pics…. And I have included some detailed explanations on 4 of them. Just some info that hopefully someone can use before making this purchase. Any questions please let me know.

Koen
12-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Hello Scott,

Looks nice, but is this humi Spanish Cedar lined on the inside ?
If not, what kind of wood is it ?

I have a 150 cigars (robusto's, shorty's, Coronas, ...) now to put in ... Will that work ?
As i can see on the pictures the humification takes a lot of space ?

Thx in advance for the info.

Koen

Arizona-SB
12-09-2012, 02:07 PM
Koen

Yes it is lined with Spanish cedar.

You should be able to get 150 Robusto's, shortys and Coronas to fit with no problem. It only becomes a space problem if you enjoy Churchills or Toro's. Bryan from Cigarobseesion posted a nice video review on youtube and you can see when he puts churchills in it that they take up a lot of space..... Just do a search on youtube for "Salvatore Humidor Review"..... (I am not allowed to post the link here)

... and yes the Hydra humidifier takes up a lot of space... could probably have another 20 or 30 sticks in that spot, but I wouldn't trade the Hydra for anything. It has completely eliminated any concerns about consistent humidity. Always at 70% humidity and I refill it once every 9 to 12 weeks. This goes back to my original review... if this humidor was maybe 2 or 3 inches deeper I would be able to stand the Hydra humidifier straight up and I would be able to get a bunch more cigars in there with the added depth.

Even with the depth problem this is the closet to perfect humidor that I could find, a beautiful piece that is well built…. I highly recommend it.

On another note it is being sold out there under another name besides Salvador, but it is the exact same humidor. I can’t’ remember the other name but I do recall it being about 20 bucks cheaper under the other name. Don’t know why because they are made by the same company. If I can find the other name or the receipt I will let you know.

mpfuchs
12-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks Scott, I'd like to know what the other name is as well.
Found the Salvatore for $177 at 1st Class Humidors and for $220 on ebay.

durbs
12-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Great looking humidor!!

Arizona-SB
12-26-2012, 04:24 PM
The other name this humidor is sold as is "The Ozarker"....... a quick Google search didn't turn much up, so it may require deeper research. This time last year "The Ozarker" was for sale on a lot of sites. I got mine from a company in Chicago called Polk Street Depot. They had an eBay store and I got it for $154.99 with free shipping if I recall..... it is exactly the same as the Salvador, both made by the same company only the name has been changed.

mpfuchs
12-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks, I'll just keep looking.

gsantarelli1
03-17-2013, 08:26 PM
I'm looking at purchasing this humidor possibly tonight or tomorrow. I'm wondering how a few 60 ring sticks would fair? I have around 30 assorted Nubs, but the remainder of what I smoke is 50-54 ring. What do you think?

Btw, I think this humidor is beautiful. It immediately grabbed my attention when I saw it the first time after a Google search. My only concern is it's depth.

aroma
03-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Since this thread's been bumped, I'll toss out another question: The Salvador has a little brother, named the Brynmor. Does anyone have one of these, or has anyone seen one up close? If so, please PM me; I have a question about it.

gsantarelli1
03-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Since this thread's been bumped, I'll toss out another question: The Salvador has a little brother, named the Brynmor. Does anyone have one of these, or has anyone seen one up close? If so, please PM me; I have a question about it.

I'm wondering about that one as well, and the Randolph, which seems to be similar.

Rebel420
03-17-2013, 10:06 PM
I like how that humidor has the 2 trays, and seems to make up its volume by increasing the length and width (looking down from the top), and seems to be a bit shallower. Mine seems to have taken the opposite approach, which leads to some "digging around" to look for something

gsantarelli1
03-28-2013, 02:02 PM
I got the Salvador. What a beautiful humidor. The lid was slightly warped though, causing there to be maybe a 1-2mm gap on each end when closed. After seasoning though, the lid formed back and the seal is great. I figure this may have been from shipping (warm/cold). Got it from ATF Express on eBay. They aren't the best with communicating, but they deliver a top quality product.

I'd say it fits around 150 robustos. The bottom is packed with Nubs, Cain 460's, and 5x50 size robustos. The top trays have assorted sizes. The only thing I need to figure out is how to make room down bottom for two half pound bags of beads to fit with my stock.

It took a day to season (don't know why), and is right now rock solid at 70% throughout.

Arizona-SB
03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
For anyone looking to buy a Salvador 250 humidor I encourage you to go to Carey’s Smokeshop (website) where they have it for $159.95. You are not going to beat this deal anywhere. I just picked up another one to give to my brother for a Birthday gift. I’m sure he will love it.

www DOT eacarey DOT com/salvador-desktop-cigar-humidor DOT html

capt.morgan
04-03-2013, 01:39 PM
I purchased this humidor for $150, msrp at some websites showed it listed near $300. After receiving the box I'm really not too impressed with the overall quality. Is it worth $150, sure, but is it a steal at $150, no. Compared to my small humidor, which is a 60 count humidor for $100, the quality is no where near as good. I was expecting the quality to be somewhat similar as I consider my 60 count humidor relatively cheap.

The Salvador uses thin wood everywhere and the lid is very light (even with a sheet of metal between the wood) this gives it a somewhat cheap feel when opening the lid. I also question if the wood is true Spanish cedar as the color and smell of the wood is not similar to the cedar sheets you receive within box purchases nor my 60 count humidor. After looking back at websites that sell the Salvador Humidor only one actually described Spanish cedar on the inside, I'm guessing this is a cheaper mahogany version of Spanish cedar.

Additionally, when the box arrived it had a very strong smell of wood glue. After three days of letting it air out, both inside and outside, it still has a faint smell of wood glue. Hopefully after a few more days the smell will go away. I'll post updates on this.

Overall I like the size and style of the box and I will keep it if the smells goes away, however, I definitely would prefer to pay more for thicker wood and true Spanish cedar lining. If it had thicker wood and quality Spanish cedar lining it would definitely be a steal at $150. Unfortunately there isn't many 'cheaper' options for such a large good looking humidor.

gsantarelli1
04-03-2013, 01:59 PM
After a week of using it, here are my observations:

The bad:
- The wood does feel cheap. I also don't think it's spanish cedar.
- I too had the strong smell of wood glue. I used some baking soda, and within a few hours it was gone.
- The lid on mine was slightly warped. It now seems to have un-warped itself. Again, probably due to temp swings between FL and PA.
- The metal parts are obviously cheap, very obviously cheap.
- The included non-calabratable digial hygro is off by 6% (not too surprising).

The good:
- It was fully seasoned, and working, at 70% throughout, within 2 days. I have never had a humi get itself up and running that fast.
- It holds humidity very very well.
- The included humidifiers are of surprisingly good quality, and can be easily filled with beads. The metal plate on the front is held on by screws, so changing the media inside is very easy.
- The metal plate hidden in the lid is excellent, and should absolutely be included on all humidors.
- It is a very good looking humidor. Fit's very well in the house, low profile, just overall a good looking piece.

Frankly put, it's not the best. It's made in China. I've had 5 humidors that came from China, and they were all basically junk. This is absolutely the LAST humidor I will purchase that was made there. I don't care if I have to spend $500-$1000, my next humidor will be American made, most likely a Waxing Moon, Daniel Marshall, or a Diamond Crown by Reed & Barton. I figure, I pay $500-$1000 everytime I buy a handgun, so why can't I spend that on a humidor that I'll have forever?

Cheftompkins
07-31-2013, 02:33 PM
To anyone still looking for this humidor....I got an excellent deal on this exact one through Cheaphumidors (dot) com I paid $148 total shipping included. You can get it from them $149.99 and then you can find a 10% off coupon online by googling the site address+coupon, and it ends up being under $150. Excellent humidor for the price! I have yet to receive mine and put it to work, but I will update this posting when I do and let everyone know more.

m_cat12
08-25-2015, 02:57 AM
Id rather pay more for the right box. Or Tupperware until im more seasoned :-)

vivian
03-22-2016, 03:56 AM
wow..i like the texture.

scotchandgummibears
04-24-2016, 02:13 PM
Ive been eying this humidor for a few months, after reading through this thread i pulled the trigger at 1st class humidors. It has a name your own price option and Keith emailed me with a 15% off discount (making it around the 150 mark)

Time to go read through some threads about properly seasoning humidors...