Any gearheads around? [Archive] - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

: Any gearheads around?

szyzk
12-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Three weeks ago I hopped in my 2002 Impala and, driving across town, had no cabin heat. On the return trip home, about 45 minutes later, I still had no cabin heat and the engine overheated as I hit my driveway.

Waited four days to get into a garage, he diagnosed it as a stuck thermostat. Replaced that, drove it around town for two days, had no problems. On the third morning the same thing happened.

Took it to a different mechanic. He diagnosed it as bad intake gaskets. They were terrible. At some point before I bought the car somebody flushed the Dex-Cool out of the system and replaced it with regular antifreeze. They didn't do a good enough job, because the Dex mixed with the regular stuff and was slowly eating away at the cheap plastic/rubber gaskets. They finally cracked, so the new mechanic replaced all of the gaskets with metal in the top of the engine. He checked the head gasket and saw no problems, he checked the thermostat work and said everything looked good, didn't see any hoses that were leaking or seals that needed upgraded.

Since they were replaced the car has been fine. I've been driving it for work, been driving it around town, drove about 200 miles on Thursday for Christmas shopping, etc. Today I drove across town and the same damn thing happened. One thing I did notice is that the antifreeze was almost to the top of the reservoir, WELL above the "hot" line.

Any suggestions?

Batista30
12-25-2010, 08:17 PM
I was hoping I could help you out, but this is past my skill set without taking guesses. Someone in the next few days should be able to help you Andrew!

rob51461
12-25-2010, 09:26 PM
You may have gotten a bad thermostat. To check it remove the radiator cap and start the car with the heat on. When the engine gets to operating temp the coolant level will drop a bit and you will see it circulating. I got a bad water pump and the guy at the parts store kept insisting it was the fan clutch, and finnaly after changing the clutch 2 times he finally said I got a bad pump. I also had a mechanic tell me my rear wheel bearings were bad when I kept saying it was the front. Turned out it was the front and the wheel could have fallen off. Big $ diff too $200 to fix the front and $700 for the rear. Dont always trust your mechanics, they are wrong alot and it ends up costing you more money.

szyzk
12-25-2010, 10:46 PM
You may have gotten a bad thermostat. To check it remove the radiator cap and start the car with the heat on. When the engine gets to operating temp the coolant level will drop a bit and you will see it circulating.

Does leaving the cap open bypass the thermostat? I guess another way of asking is, if the cap is open, will the temp hit a certain level and then even out?

Otherwise, what should I be looking for?

szyzk
12-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Oh, and thanks for the help!

mrmikey32
12-25-2010, 11:02 PM
Have you had the radiator/cooling system flushed? I have a jeep, so cooling issues are common.

szyzk
12-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Have you had the radiator/cooling system flushed? I have a jeep, so cooling issues are common.

When the new intake gaskets were put in everything was flushed out. He wanted to make sure everything was cleaned out since there was, at one point, Dex in the system.

I'm not sure if he ran a pressure test or if he just did a visual to check for leaks. It wasn't officially done at a garage - they couldn't get me in for over a week, so he was doing it on his own time at his home garage.

mrmikey32
12-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Your radiator could be bad, clutch fan could be bad, thermostat could be bad, head could maybe be warped from overheating....

I would have the radiator tested. I had one of mine go bad from driving in too much mud.

also, have you had the water pump, and fan clutch checked?

szyzk
12-26-2010, 09:10 AM
The water pump was replaced about 3-4 months ago.

Not sure if the fan was checked. Since this all happened in the dark yesterday I did check to make sure I could turn it properly and that at least seemed okay.

rob51461
12-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Does leaving the cap open bypass the thermostat? I guess another way of asking is, if the cap is open, will the temp hit a certain level and then even out?

Otherwise, what should I be looking for?
Removing the cap is just so you can see if the thermostat is opening or not, when the engine gets to operating temp the thermostat opens and allows the coolant to circulate through the engine. When its closed the pressure from the water pump will raise the level in the radiator due to backpressure. when it opens the level will drop for a bit until it draws from the over flow tank. To check for a bad head gasket check the oil dipstick, if the oil is "creamy" you have a problem. any other problems will show up as a coolant leak so look around the engine compartment and under the car for signs of leaks. Also check the passenger side floor board for fluid, that would be from your heater core which could also be why you have no heat. Best advice, spend 20 bucks and buy a Chiltons manual from a auto parts store it will give you all the info you need

TonyBrooklyn
12-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Three weeks ago I hopped in my 2002 Impala and, driving across town, had no cabin heat. On the return trip home, about 45 minutes later, I still had no cabin heat and the engine overheated as I hit my driveway.

Waited four days to get into a garage, he diagnosed it as a stuck thermostat. Replaced that, drove it around town for two days, had no problems. On the third morning the same thing happened.

Took it to a different mechanic. He diagnosed it as bad intake gaskets. They were terrible. At some point before I bought the car somebody flushed the Dex-Cool out of the system and replaced it with regular antifreeze. They didn't do a good enough job, because the Dex mixed with the regular stuff and was slowly eating away at the cheap plastic/rubber gaskets. They finally cracked, so the new mechanic replaced all of the gaskets with metal in the top of the engine. He checked the head gasket and saw no problems, he checked the thermostat work and said everything looked good, didn't see any hoses that were leaking or seals that needed upgraded.

Since they were replaced the car has been fine. I've been driving it for work, been driving it around town, drove about 200 miles on Thursday for Christmas shopping, etc. Today I drove across town and the same damn thing happened. One thing I did notice is that the antifreeze was almost to the top of the reservoir, WELL above the "hot" line.

Any suggestions?

If the fan is coming on when it should cap is holding pressure pump is okay. You probably have some seepage at one of the head gaskets. The weather is on the cold side so expansion and contraction will only compound the problem. Run a compression test and then a pressure test at operating temp if it fails. Head gasket replacement is in order.:car:

bent-1
02-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Had the exact same problem in my C10 Chevy truck with traditional green fluid. Turned out it was the radiator cap. The spring/plunger would not retract thus allowing the fluid to return once the engine cooled. It's a cheap fix.