Noob Q on what cigars to buy to get involved [Archive] - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

: Noob Q on what cigars to buy to get involved

FinalBoss
08-08-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm just getting into cigars and would like suggestions on what cigars I should be stocking up to get involved with passes and PIFs. Currently, I'm buying 5-ers from cbid, but don't know what to get because I'm new to cigars as a whole. I've only been smoking maduros and the 10 from the CI sampler pack. Should I just get more samplers or concentrate on 5-packs? Is there a "standard mix" of cigars that every humidor should have? Alternatively, I can just pick up samplers in different price points to send out. Any thoughts?

fanman1
08-11-2011, 12:31 AM
personally i wouldent get into that yet, just try a bunch of diferent cigars. i like the samplers on ci and i would recomend that you pick up a sampler with a big variety just to get an idea of what you like best. try som conn wrappers too. if you are looking for a spesific sugestion on a cigar you really cant go wrong with a torano cigar get one of the torano sampers that ci has and i promise you wont reget it.

Cigary
08-11-2011, 03:39 AM
This comes up all the time and it's your tastes...not ours. We could only let you in on what interests us and you'll get a ton of names. I suggest as the other brother said...start trying different brands...mild to medium so you don't confuse your taste buds. People get lost right from the start because you tend to get overwhelmed with so many different kinds. Train your tastes...find out what YOU like...samplers are good but get the kind that offer different brands...not the same cigar in different sizes. You'll find out soon enough what tastes good to you.

Hannibal
08-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Couldn't have said it any better than ^^^^^ that guy!! :lol:

Oldmso54
08-11-2011, 10:20 AM
I would also recommend this sticky as a read for all the guys asking the same question you are: Newbie Mistakes and Suggestions courtesy of a Newb! (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/new-puffer-fish-forum/283170-newbie-mistakes-suggestions-courtesy-newb.html)

And Gary's answer is THE answer.

FinalBoss
08-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm trying as many different cigars as possible to broaden my palate. Also, it seems Gary's answer is the always the answer for all my noob questions.

carpenter
08-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm trying as many different cigars as possible to broaden my palate. Also, it seems Gary's answer is the always the answer for all my noob questions.

Gary does always have good answers.

falconman515
08-19-2011, 06:51 PM
it seems Gary's answer is the always the answer for all my noob questions.

The man does know his S#!T .... He is very knowledgeable and has been doing this a long time. I haven't seen a bad suggestion or reply yet.

ouirknotamuzd
08-29-2011, 12:24 PM
yup...Gary's a smart guy and speaks the truth.....find out what you like first,then you can confidently get involved in passes and PIF's knowing you're sharing something you really like with someone else.

ya gotta crawl before you can walk...

zabhatton
08-29-2011, 12:52 PM
anyone try cuatros, theyr nicaraguan if im not mistaken. very hard to find i got them from the local tobacco shop they have a silver band with a 4 on it and on the side of the band it says cuatro. the retailer has a ridiculous mark up on his stuff so im trying to find it online with no luck. he told me they were aged for a year after rolling and i have to admit very nice if anyone has heard or knows about them please let me know