What is wrong with my Jeep? [Archive] - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

: What is wrong with my Jeep?

Fuzzy
07-02-2012, 02:30 PM
It is a 2002 Cherokee Laredo with a 4.0 six cylinder with about 80K miles. It ran perfect when put in storage about six months ago. Started right away, got almost decent mileage.

Now, after replacing the battery, the jeep will only start if foot is on the gas a little. The thing will not idle unless the AC is on and then, down around 400 rpm for a shot time before stalling. It seems to run fine, except at a stop. I did look for a way to raise the idle but see no way to adjust.

The shade tree mechanic next door said it was the throttle position sensor. But I hate to throw parts at a problem (can not really afford it) without there being a chance of a fix.

Hopefully, there is a Puffer whose middle name could be wrench that can give me a long range diagnostic with recommendations on a fix.

E Dogg
07-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Maybe mass air flow sensor? :dunno:

Hannibal
07-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Shoot a PM to dr dirty.

If there is anyone on here that would be able to Scott would be your man. He knows almost everything Jeep.....

dr.dirty
07-02-2012, 06:37 PM
id start with TPS as well. They are cheap and simple to swap as well as a fairly common failure point. But before you buy any part make sure you check all your vacum lines very thoroughly a small leak will cause all kinds of weirdness

TonyBrooklyn
07-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Sounds like the TPS or the idle control valve!
My guess is the idle control valve as a bad TPS will throw a code!

TonyBrooklyn
07-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Also many times with those jeeps after replacing the battery after long periods of sitting.
The PCM needs to be reflashed or replaced.
Sometimes disconnecting the battery for an hour and reconnecting it solves the problem!
Good Luck!

Fuzzy
07-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the diagnostics, guys. There is no code being shown, well, let me just say the check engine light is not staying on. Can the ICV be cleaned with carb cleaner with any hope it will function properly? They seem to be at least double the cost of TPS

TonyBrooklyn
07-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Carbon is the main issue here so yes it can be cleaned.
Remove it i find Brake cleaner does a great job!
You also may want to Seafoam the engine!
On the flip side it has been my personal experience that even when cleaned they are prone to sticking again.
The Valve gets weak with age and can't move in and out properly.

07-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Are you sure the batter is fully charged....if it ran great until the new battery.....its possible....good luck

Johnpaul
07-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Just a thought but have you put fresh gas in it? Gas can get "stale" after a while. If you haven't maybe try putting a can of octane boost in the tank.

Fuzzy
07-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Here is what I did today.

This morning, I lit a cigar (Runi corona) and started the jeep hoping all would be well. No such luck, I guess there is no such thing as an anti-gremlin. Still did not want to idle. It ran fine as long as I kept the r's up around 1k. While finishing the cigar I called around for prices for both the ICV an TPS. They are expensive!

Right near the end of the Ruination I started to remove the air intakes. Even though the air filter was clean, there was a bunch of black shit at what looks like a butterfly valve. Almost looked like it was coming out of a slot cut in the mouth of the body going to what must be one of the sensors..

I decided that was enough work for the time being, lit another cigar, this time a Litto Gomez with a V on the band. After the first third, I decided to walk to the auto parts store, just about two and a half miles. Good thing I brought water, it was over 90 and the RH was just above 70%. once there, I had to set the cigar on the window sill to go in. I decided to get CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner instead of spending big bucks on parts. Upon leaving, my half smoked LG was still lit but only barely.

At just before the final third, there just happened to be a bar so I went in,,, for the AC, that's right, AC! Still smoking the LG and no one seemed to care. I eyed the Newcastle on tap ( and the Victoria secret model bartender) and decided to have a couple pints along with a G & T with lime (for the vitamin C) Now, I am realizing I just wasted an opportunity to smoke this fine cigar for a review. She even commented that she normally did not like the smell of cigars but mine was OK (barely, just like she was dressed)

As I left the bar, I sparked an EST1844 in the #50 size for my final heat stroke weather walk back to the camp. It was then to hot to do anything but fire up the AC in the coach and take a ol' phartes nap.

Once all this was was done, I cleaned the throttle body and the vent to what must have been the air flow sensor with a health douche of the crap I bought at the parts store. Put everything back together and now have what may be the best running jeep I ever owned.

I am now getting ready to spark an AF Flor Fina 858 and enjoy the luck of my wrenching skills.

TonyBrooklyn
07-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Sounds like you cleaned the ICV.

jphank
07-03-2012, 07:26 PM
What an adventure!! Good advice, good smokes, the best brew in the world, bare nekkid lady and the good advice turned out to be accurate!

dmeguy
07-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Glad it worked out Bruce! That is maybe the best "jeep fixing" story I have ever heard!

Mante
07-03-2012, 07:33 PM
The ever fun fouled throttle body issue. That was an entertaining write up of your walk to the store Bruce. :thumb:

Magnificent_Bastard
07-05-2012, 02:23 PM
What a great tale about leading the charge against mechanical insurgency! It had it all -- cars, cigars, beer, booze, girls, and ... VICTORY. :boxing:

Fuzzy
07-05-2012, 02:27 PM
What a great tale about leading the charge against mechanical insurgency! It had it all -- cars, cigars, beer, booze, girls, and ... VICTORY. :boxing:

I have to bump you for a great outlook on what could have been a effed up day.

Yeagley
07-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Got to love those watering holes in the middle of your hike.

I have a TJ same engine and was going to say bad gas. It's always a better idea to clean somthing then replace it when they cost a pretty penny. Glad it running better now got to love the Jeeps until they break.