The Easy Blind Pass #1( Affordable) [Archive] - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

: The Easy Blind Pass #1( Affordable)

madbricky
05-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Hey guys the blind passes have been a blast so I wanted to start one with a little different slot limit on the cigars.
The price range on the blank numbered mystery cigars are going to be price ranging from $3 to $10 with a possibility for a Wild card bag anything goes.
We will use the first blind pass set-up to do the puts and takes and the recipients are surprise mailed.
Qualifications are 1 positive trader feedback and your promise to not sit on the box for more than 3 days.
Second qualification is your willingness to dig into the picks and do your best to identify them right after you get them.
With a fast moving box and lots of reviews and guesses it will be a daily fun thread to read and participate in.
We can discuss a booby prize for the most right guesses too!
As for the cigars, they need to be mainstream cigars available online as in no B&M only or out of production cigars.
If this sounds interesting and easy fun let me know right here and we can try for 8 people to get it going.
If you don't know cigars very well or don't like to write short reviews it might not be easy or fun for you. You don't have to be an expert, just willing to Google-Fu and look at similar cigars on the big three. Famous, CI, and Cigar.com.

defetis
05-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Im in! ready to not host for a minute!

madbricky
05-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Your in my good man! A prolific reviewer and all too! Excellent!Im in! ready to not host for a minute!

defetis
05-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Your in my good man! A prolific reviewer and all too! Excellent!

Thanks, I try to keep them real

Cardinal
05-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Hey Craig, you can mark me down too. I'm down for making a fool of myself on some blind review guesses again :couch2:

ShaneG
05-06-2014, 08:32 PM
I'll play!

teckneekz
05-06-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm in. Let's do this defetis! Lol

Tobias Lutz
05-06-2014, 11:53 PM
1. defetis
2. Cardinal
3. ShaneG
4. teckneekz
5. Tobias Lutz

ShaneG
05-07-2014, 12:39 AM
After a discussion with madbricky I'm going to bow out and develop my palate a bit

madbricky
05-07-2014, 11:00 AM
After a discussion with madbricky I'm going to bow out and develop my palate a bit
I'm going to take our young Jedi under my wing for a bit and start him with some good palate builders as well as flavor wheels. We talked about setting up a coolidor too as CBid and Puff will knock the hell out of a desktop humi. He.s a good man and I'm looking forward to doing some online Herfing.
Sunday afternoons at 3pm EST is a good time at Twitter #Sundaycigarherf (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Sundaycigarherf) hosted by ([email protected])RobustoCigarBabe. I'm @mad_bricky And this week it's the Fuente Anejo we are smoking together.

madbricky
05-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Easy Blind Pass #1 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) (Affordable)
Host: mad bricky
1. defetis
2. Cardinal
3. teckneekz
4. Tobias Lutz
May 16th first box goes out!

5 blind cigars labeled by number only between.$3-10 Famous/CI/Cigar.com priced.
Some Wild Card cigars anything goes maybe? (up for discussion)
A friendly bomb? ( not required-up for consideration)

Fast moving box of ready to smoke and review cigars for daily humiliation or accolades! ( Winner prize for most right guesses?)

teckneekz
05-07-2014, 03:29 PM
im sorry i need to bow outta this one. couple things came up. i apologize for this.

Tobias Lutz
05-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Well, it appears we're heading in the opposite direction of ideal :lol:

JKlavins
05-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Count me in!!

defetis
05-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Its already a roller coaster!

madbricky
05-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Well, it appears we're heading in the opposite direction of ideal :lol:
Lol, shucks I hope not!

madbricky
05-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Count me in!!

Another true aficionado and prolific contest winner!

USHOG
05-08-2014, 11:04 AM
I want to play

1. defetis
2. Cardinal
3. teckneekz
4. Tobias Lutz
5. USHOG

madbricky
05-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Easy Blind Pass #1 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) (Affordable)
1. defetis
2. Cardinal
3. JKlavins
4. Tobias Lutz
5. USHOG

Fast moving box of ready to smoke and review cigars for daily humiliation or accolades! ( Winner prize for most right guesses?)
5/8 UPDATED

madbricky
05-08-2014, 11:46 PM
I want to play

1. defetis
2. Cardinal
3. teckneekz
4. Tobias Lutz
5. USHOG
Your in brother!

madbricky
05-12-2014, 02:21 PM
1. defetis
2. Cardinal
3. JKlavins
4. Tobias Lutz
5. USHOG

5/8 UPDATED
Ok, getting time to set aside some cigars for the pass, not too hard but not too easy. I ordered the humidity packets from Cigar Mechanic so there is no issue with too wet. No big deal if not more want to play! 7 is enough.This is a going to be loads of fun testing your recognition skills.

Tobias Lutz
05-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Ok, getting time to set aside some cigars for the pass, not too hard but not too easy. I ordered the humidity packets from Cigar Mechanic so there is no issue with too wet. No big deal if not more want to play! 7 is enough.This is a going to be loads of fun testing your recognition skills.

Craig, since we're using Famous, CI, and, cigar.com to price, does thatmean we want to stick with cigars that are only available on those three sites? Everybody shold know better than to throw in small boutique stuff and JR brands, but I'm just checking. Thanks for putting this together, bro!

madbricky
05-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Good point of clarification, as they have some exclusive cigars, It is not limited to just those sellers. More of a price point reference as many cigars from Cbid would be well less than $3 that are $5 or more on the main sites. If you can't help but use a Boutique like those from House of Emilio then a hint is in order. Wouldn't want exclude a yummy Neanderthal or AF2! Craig, since we're using Famous, CI, and, cigar.com to price, does thatmean we want to stick with cigars that are only available on those three sites? Everybody shold know better than to throw in small boutique stuff and JR brands, but I'm just checking. Thanks for putting this together, bro!

madbricky
05-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Ok, it's the 16th, time to make the list final at Midnight! Please PM your address and I will type up the mailing list hard copy and decide who is the first victim. I'm going to weigh up some cigars and see what the best option for good shipping cost. I have made some gifts for each one of you to grab on your turn!

It seems the best setup will be 5 cigars to be blind labeled and another for bombing your victim if you so choose. Please post any other ideas you might have for everybody to consider so I can make the final container with Nano beads for humidification. Monday the box goes out! Woo hoo, I'm stoked!

1. defetis
2. Cardinal
3. JKlavins
4. Tobias Lutz
5. USHOG

ShaneG
05-16-2014, 01:39 PM
I'm staying subscribed here because I am curious to see how well you all do. Best of luck to everyone!

huskers
05-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Can someone kind of explain how this works to me a bit better?

I get the general idea but I'm not to certain how the pass functions from person to person.

defetis
05-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Can someone kind of explain how this works to me a bit better?

I get the general idea but I'm not to certain how the pass functions from person to person.

Person 1 sends 5 unlabeled cigars to person 2, as well as a bomb is they choose.

Person 2 takes all 5 and replaces I'm assuming? then so on

huskers
05-16-2014, 04:22 PM
Person 1 sends 5 unlabeled cigars to person 2, as well as a bomb is they choose.

Person 2 takes all 5 and replaces I'm assuming? then so on

So each person is obligated to do 5 reviews and replace up to $50 worth of cigars?

Cardinal
05-16-2014, 06:42 PM
So each person is obligated to do 5 reviews and replace up to $50 worth of cigars?

Craig can clarify, but I don't think you have to take all 5. Also you can do $3 to $10 so theoretical you could do all 5 and replace with $15 worth anyway.

I know I don't want to do 5 blind reviews..maybe a couple :)

huskers
05-16-2014, 08:12 PM
Craig can clarify, but I don't think you have to take all 5. Also you can do $3 to $10 so theoretical you could do all 5 and replace with $15 worth anyway.

I know I don't want to do 5 blind reviews..maybe a couple :)

for sure

madbricky
05-17-2014, 08:38 AM
for sure

Originally Posted by @Cardinal View Post

I know I don't want to do 5 blind reviews..maybe a couple huskers
That's exactly right, take one or five, look them over and decide what you like and go for it! Craig

madbricky
05-17-2014, 08:55 AM
huskers did you want in Brother?

huskers
05-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Sounds like fun but I better not. Summer gets pretty hectic for me and I don't want to be THAT guy.............you know...........the one that gets busy and doesn't have time for a review or is late getting the package back out.

I just never know work wise what I will be doing.

madbricky
05-19-2014, 06:12 PM
my two good friends Janis and Tobias Please PM your address!
Its going out by weight in case you all get hitchhiker crazy, under 2lbs is the same as small flat rate
I have made some gifts for each one of you to grab on your turn!

It seems the best setup will be 5 cigars to be blind labeled and another for bombing your victim if you so choose.

1. defetis
2. Cardinal
3. JKlavins
4. Tobias Lutz
5. USHOG

madbricky
05-20-2014, 02:43 PM
9405903699300188346416 is jetting off to the first contestant!
Only $5.80 and it weighed half of what it was printed for. AFFORDABLE!

defetis
05-20-2014, 02:51 PM
9405903699300188346416 is jetting off to the first contestant!
Only $5.80 and it weighed half of what it was printed for. AFFORDABLE!

Is that last post with participants the current order?

madbricky
05-20-2014, 10:59 PM
Oh no, I should have mentioned its senders choice where it goes. Before you send let me know which cigars you took and what your proposed blind cigars are for checking to make sure we don't get doubles. Is that last post with participants the current order?

madbricky
05-23-2014, 11:24 AM
It's out for delivery! Some lucky person has the whole weekend to ponder on the mystery of wich cigar is what.

Tobias Lutz
05-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Well, well, well. Guess who got blown up first? :biggrin: I'll post pics later but I must say Craig, you outdid yourself, brother! Everything arrived in good shape and there is some fun stuff here. :nod:

Tobias Lutz
05-24-2014, 09:09 AM
So, now that I'm not on the verge of throwing up (stomach bug), I have pics of the damage Craig mailed out:

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/05/24/p_4013047_0.jpg

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/05/24/p_4013047_1.jpg

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/05/24/p_4013047_2.jpg

He hit me hard including some great Bahia sticks, and an AKA Nth cigar! I'd been looking at the AKAs on Cigar Federation, but hadn't pulled the trigger yet. I'll get the pulls and puts arranged and mail out on Tuesday morning.

madbricky
05-24-2014, 03:55 PM
I got an AKA last year for Christmas and it was so fascinating in the nth blend I had to get a fiver. I had one last week and it was complicated. I just love this Bahia line especially Gold and Insignias. And I know you are king of the budget reviews so that Swisher Premium panatella from Nestor Placensia should amuse you. Lol. All the cigar poker's are made of tempered piano wire so anybody gets a hard to draw smoke its fixable! Get well soon Zen master!

madbricky
05-26-2014, 01:59 PM
Ok brothers! The undisputed master of reviews had made some excellent takes and puts, nothing out of the mainstream market and we have another victim lined up!
Question for you all...
Do you want me to call out/id the smokes or the people putting them in. I just want to keep everyone as involved as possible. Nobody better than the person putting in the cigars to talk about the cigar with the reviewer. Your call my friends. I'll still monitor and keep records.
A reminder that each of you gets a tempered piano wire poker for unplugging problem cigars. And the humidity control is via nano crystal pearls from Cigar Mechanic so even in transit inside the special sleeves made for up to six cigars the sticks are being conditioned for smoking. No 3 week delays, you can smoke them ROTT.
HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY to my fellow vets and God bless the souls who gave us their lives for freedom through the ages and across the world.

Tobias Lutz
05-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Alright- after a nice holiday weekend in Virginia, the box is off again this morning!

:plane: 9405 9036 9930 0191 4509 64

Tobias Lutz
05-28-2014, 10:34 PM
True to the spirit of speed that madbricky established, I've already done my first review- now let's see how wrong I am :biggrin:

No. 24
~5Ē x ~50rg

Prelight- The wrapper had a nice oily sheen, and was variegated with fine veins. It smelled earthy with a little sweet tobacco nuance. I punched the head to find a fairly firm draw- and tastes of hay, leather, and a faint bit of spice

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/05/28/p_4015334_0.jpg

1/3: rich The cigar started off with a pleasant woodiness with complex notes of spice that went beyond cedar. There was also some notable leather. The burn was spot on and the ash hung tight in nice layers.
http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/05/28/p_4015334_1.jpg

Middle: I would describe this section as mainly earthy, with the continued wood notes. Hints of dark coffee bean swirled around behind these primary flavors. The smoke was on the buttery side and hung well on the tongue.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/05/28/p_4015334_2.jpg
Nub: As it approached its finish the stick became a little stronger, any sweetness from the first 2/3rds was gone. The nub was primarily wood and the leather reemerging.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/05/28/p_4015334_3.jpg

Overall: A decent medium bodied smoke that I enjoyed for about 90 minutes. Since this came from Craig (aka master of finding quality sticks outside the mainstream), I feel compelled to guess something that isnít a General Cigar mainstay. Iím going with a C & C LRMD Robusto

Tobias Lutz
05-30-2014, 06:51 PM
madbricky

Alright, Craig! You could at least tell me how I'm wrong...sheesh :lol:

Also, the package has been delivered, so hopefully someone else can be wrong too, soon.

madbricky
05-31-2014, 01:43 AM
I'm such a putz! Already screwing it up.my sincere apologies for not checking in. I did not get too wild picking cigars from the edge of the world like my predecessor Chris did to me. Your going to be mad.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/05/31/p_4016569_0.png (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/2014-05-26%2008.55.16_zpsp2oe1rxl.png.html)
I thought you grabbed it knowing it on sight PUFF CAO EXPERT! What's a C&C?

Tobias Lutz
05-31-2014, 08:29 AM
I'm such a putz! Already screwing it up.my sincere apologies for not checking in. I did not get too wild picking cigars from the edge of the world like my predecessor Chris did to me. Your going to be mad.

I thought you grabbed it knowing it on sight PUFF CAO EXPERT! What's a C&C?

:lol: I try not to pick by what looks familiar- mainly I just choose the vitola that looks good to me (<90 minutes). Well that explains why I enjoyed it at least, I've likes the Sopranos I've smoked in the past, though that it one of the few blends I've ever tasted cherry in and I got zero cherry from this (perhaps the orange soda messed it up :biggrin: ).
This is a C&C:

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/05/31/p_4016592_0.jpg

Cardinal
05-31-2014, 11:12 AM
Good review! I honestly was pulling for a repeat of your performance from the last blind review pass, but at least the bar isn't set too high for the rest of us poor chumps.

Cardinal
05-31-2014, 11:16 AM
Also, looks like the eagle landed a couple days ago. Where's our guy? C'mon baby, we want to see the goods!

madbricky
05-31-2014, 04:05 PM
I pm'ed the recipient to report in the pass.hopefully it will keep moving.Also, looks like the eagle landed a couple days ago. Where's our guy? C'mon baby, we want to see the goods!

madbricky
05-31-2014, 04:10 PM
Well that looks like a nice smoke. A little lighter than the soprano.that one has 6 months on it, possibly that flavor married into the blend. It was starting to oil up. Not all dark cigars do good with age.

The important thing was your excellent review with pictures.Most of us give your reviews heavy consideration on cigars to smoke being a Chef trained palate.
:lol: I try not to pick by what looks familiar- mainly I just choose the vitola that looks good to me (<90 minutes). Well that explains why I enjoyed it at least, I've likes the Sopranos I've smoked in the past, though that it one of the few blends I've ever tasted cherry in and I got zero cherry from this (perhaps the orange soda messed it up :biggrin: ).
This is a C&C:

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/05/31/p_4016760_0.jpg

madbricky
05-31-2014, 07:01 PM
Update!Easy Blind Pass #1 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) (Affordable)
1. defetis
2. Cardinal
3. JKlavins
4. Tobias Lutz (recieved)
5. USHOG (recieved)

USHOG is having some computer issues but let me know he will work around it and move things along.

USHOG
06-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Sory guys my main computer is down and I am getting everything ready to go back out on Monday morning. Tobias blew up my mailbox Thank you very much. I will get pictures of the damage this evening.

USHOG
06-02-2014, 01:36 PM
Tobias sent a hell of a bomb here is a pic of the damage. I want to thank you for the generous bomb

My pics The numbers are 77, 64, 34, 10, 2

Here are the puts and the numbers are 1, 22, 3, 81, 26

Should be in the mail this afternoon

madbricky
06-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Looks good! Tobias smacked you with some tasty treats! You are going to be busy with reviews now! 5 times the chance to to guess them, I like your odds making. I just got the addy to you so the next secret victim will get hit later this week. Tobias sent a hell of a bomb here is a pic of the damage. I want to thank you for the generous bomb

My pics The numbers are 77, 64, 34, 10, 2

Here are the puts and the numbers are 1, 22, 3, 81, 26

Should be in the mail this afternoon

madbricky
06-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Here is some great reference I use to review and rate cigars that should help on your investigation.http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/04/p_4018261_0.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/puff/Cigar_Sizes_Shapes_Colours_High_Res_zpsmemzyys6.jp g.html)
And some great flavor wheels!http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/04/p_4018261_1.png (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/puff/cigar-flavors-wheel-large_zpsi7sfgvae.png.html)http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/04/p_4018261_2.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/puff/cigarwheel1_zps7nxcfjzr.jpg.html)
I like this review sheet, not for scoring as much as cutting in the middle right to the text on the left, into two pages and making a notebook that asks great questions on a cigar review.http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/04/p_4018261_3.png (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/puff/80725339_zpswwtruaar.png.html)
Good luck to my puffing brothers on coming out as the blind review king!

madbricky
06-05-2014, 10:51 AM
So you have an idea, want to hunt down the cigar to check out characteristics.Looking for a cigar? PERELMANS CIGAR FINDER and Distributor files are a great place to start. Download, then use the PDF search function to hunt down the brand.
CigarCyclopedia.com Cigar Finder (http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/cyclopedias-of-cigars/cigar-finder)
Still looking? Have dimensions and know the wrapper? Download copies of the second of the Cigarcyclopedia for free, look up the cigar and check sizes CigarCyclopedia.com Cyclopedia of Cigars (http://www.cigarcyclopedia.com/cyclopedias-of-cigars/cyclopedia-of-cigars)

Tobias Lutz
06-07-2014, 09:54 AM
madbricky

Blind review #14 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=14)
Size: ~5” x ~54rg

I smoked this while tearing apart a lawnmower, so the observations and pics are both rather sporadic :lol: The wrapper was medium to darker brown with minimal veins, moderate tooth, and not particularly oil. It smelled like dark chocolate and tobacco, while the foot exuded a pleasant scent of hay and honey. The cold draw was moderately firm and gave off notes of hay and chocolate.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019611_0.jpg

First 1/3: I was surprised that this cigar started on a fairly bold note, though still medium profile. I tasted the dark cocoa almost instantaneously, along with a faint woodiness. The most interesting part was a spice very reminiscent of cloves in the retrohale.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019611_1.jpg

The middle: That notable spice continued into the middle of the cigar, but combined with what I would describe as aged oak and leather. The bitter chocolate notes remained, but there was no hint of the honey like sweetness that smelled so delicious prior to lighting.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019611_2.jpg

The nub: The flavors didn’t mutate much in the nub, but they certainly intensified. The profile came very close to full bodied at the very end. As this occurred the distinctive spice note seemed to fade and the bitter cocoa and oak finished the cigar off. The burn was consistent throughout the smoke with only one relight due my putting it down for too long.

Overall- A decent cigar that I think I might have enjoyed more if I had saved it for after dinner as opposed to smoking it beforehand. If I had to fashion a guess I would throw out: Perdomo Champagne Noir

defetis
06-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Package has landed. Pics up soon

defetis
06-07-2014, 12:04 PM
USHOG

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019634_0.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140606_225902_258_zpsk6mqpttu.jpg.html)

Crazy nice bomb thank you

USHOG
06-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Not a problem at all. That Herrera lancero is very good.

defetis
06-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Can't wait to try it

madbricky
06-07-2014, 10:50 PM
Fantastic Review! That's exactly my take of the 5 Vegas A "AAA" I'm sorry you didnt get it
Its got to be on par with MOW Ruination for toe curling maduro strength from AJ Fernandez. You are still my reviewing hero!
Great bomb USHOG that's incredible good taste and generosity! Tip of the hat to you sir

madbricky

Blind review #14 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=14)
Size: ~5Ē x ~54rg

I smoked this while tearing apart a lawnmower, so the observations and pics are both rather sporadic :lol: The wrapper was medium to darker brown with minimal veins, moderate tooth, and not particularly oil. It smelled like dark chocolate and tobacco, while the foot exuded a pleasant scent of hay and honey. The cold draw was moderately firm and gave off notes of hay and chocolate.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019869_0.jpg

First 1/3: I was surprised that this cigar started on a fairly bold note, though still medium profile. I tasted the dark cocoa almost instantaneously, along with a faint woodiness. The most interesting part was a spice very reminiscent of cloves in the retrohale.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019869_1.jpg

The middle: That notable spice continued into the middle of the cigar, but combined with what I would describe as aged oak and leather. The bitter chocolate notes remained, but there was no hint of the honey like sweetness that smelled so delicious prior to lighting.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019869_2.jpg

The nub: The flavors didnít mutate much in the nub, but they certainly intensified. The profile came very close to full bodied at the very end. As this occurred the distinctive spice note seemed to fade and the bitter cocoa and oak finished the cigar off. The burn was consistent throughout the smoke with only one relight due my putting it down for too long.

Overall- A decent cigar that I think I might have enjoyed more if I had saved it for after dinner as opposed to smoking it beforehand. If I had to fashion a guess I would throw out: Perdomo Champagne Noir

defetis
06-07-2014, 11:16 PM
here is my takes:

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019879_0.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140606_230215_536_zpshadzbjiw.jpg.html)

Here are my puts:

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019879_1.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140607_210156_943_zps1tqoddwo.jpg.html)

And here is my first review

For the first review I'm smoking Cigar #81 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=81)

This cigar is a 5x56 stick with a beautiful dark wrapper. The foot smells of a sweet earthyness to it that is just begging for the torch

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019879_2.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140607_160401_253_zpszvvmhkj0.jpg.html)

Approaching the first third I notice the sweetness I was smelling on the foot on the tail end of the draw. I'm also getting a bit of cream but mainly a spice. The ash is pretty white and the cigar is very well constructed. All things I'm paying attention to trying to figure this one out.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019879_3.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140607_162417_434_zpsabaimc1t.jpg.html)

As I approach half way the temperature outside gets awkwardly chilly with a brisk wind. The ash holds on for over an inch to my surprise. The flavors are still consistent from the first third and the smoke output fades in and out as the strength ramps up.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019879_4.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140607_174232_176_zpsfpzulosj.jpg.html)

Finishing this one up, I'm thinking I have a pretty good guess what this is. The entire time I have been smoking this just thinking the consistency screams AJ to me. A good cigar, I feel like I have smoked it before for sure. Not sure I'm right but I believe I also just smoked a 5 vegas AAA.

sorry to beat you up when your not feeling good Craig. madbricky

madbricky
06-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Oh no! Great description of the character of a DE Undercrownfrom USHOG. I think the long ash and creamy comes from the t-52 Connecticut leaf in the binder. Good cigar! Great effort! here is my takes:

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019883_0.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140606_230215_536_zpshadzbjiw.jpg.html)

Here are my puts:

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019883_1.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140607_210156_943_zps1tqoddwo.jpg.html)

And here is my first review

For the first review I'm smoking Cigar #81 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=81)

This cigar is a 5x56 stick with a beautiful dark wrapper. The foot smells of a sweet earthyness to it that is just begging for the torch

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019883_2.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140607_160401_253_zpszvvmhkj0.jpg.html)

Approaching the first third I notice the sweetness I was smelling on the foot on the tail end of the draw. I'm also getting a bit of cream but mainly a spice. The ash is pretty white and the cigar is very well constructed. All things I'm paying attention to trying to figure this one out.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019883_3.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140607_162417_434_zpsabaimc1t.jpg.html)

As I approach half way the temperature outside gets awkwardly chilly with a brisk wind. The ash holds on for over an inch to my surprise. The flavors are still consistent from the first third and the smoke output fades in and out as the strength ramps up.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/07/p_4019883_4.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140607_174232_176_zpsfpzulosj.jpg.html)

Finishing this one up, I'm thinking I have a pretty good guess what this is. The entire time I have been smoking this just thinking the consistency screams AJ to me. A good cigar, I feel like I have smoked it before for sure. Not sure I'm right but I believe I also just smoked a 5 vegas AAA.

sorry to beat you up when your not feeling good Craig. madbricky

defetis
06-07-2014, 11:33 PM
I talked myself out of the undercrown due to the lack of smoke output! o well now i have to go 2/3 instead of perfect

madbricky
06-08-2014, 12:05 AM
Trust your gut sometimes! Everything is getting that wrapper these days is getting hard to tell though. You got a great smoke and almost got it! I'm hoping for that much!I talked myself out of the undercrown due to the lack of smoke output! o well now i have to go 2/3 instead of perfect

defetis
06-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Here comes review # 2 gotta get back on track

This morning I smoked cigar #26 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=26) It is a 5x52 with a really pretty dark wrapper and is a square pressed torpedo

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/08/p_4020027_0.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140608_101348_199_zpskcljvkyo.jpg.html)

This is gonna be a speedy review because Im pretty sure I know what it is and I've had many before. This cigar def. screams Dominican and has a really strong aroma off the foot

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/08/p_4020027_1.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140608_102856_933_zpsqutdxaar.jpg.html)

As i get it lit the full strength is the first thing you notice along with a very dark chocolate sweetness and minimal spice

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/08/p_4020027_2.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140608_104447_182_zpscdvbdirq.jpg.html)

Half way through my lips are covered in the oilyness this smoke is putting off. Its very pleasant but everything I touch has that oil sheen to it. The smoke output is great for such a short smoke

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/08/p_4020027_3.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140608_105356_073_zpsdwqaihtw.jpg.html)

As i finish this up I'm pretty confident with my guess and happy with the production of the cigar. I guess it was a Onyx Reserve mini belicoso. I texted craig to find out the outcome.

madbricky
06-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Great review, I can almost taste that cigar. USHOG identified it as Oliva G but we seem to be missing an inch for the G! Would you please check your label from the cigars my friend?

madbricky
06-08-2014, 02:14 PM
Oh my. USHOG I checked and it appears you did place a Oliva G maduro belicoso with the same wrapper leaf as an Onyx demonstrating how hard a blind review can be when two cigars come so close in blend. It was still a great college try and even I didn't know this maduro but I sure want one! !

Cardinal
06-08-2014, 05:24 PM
Good reviews Joel. Definitely goes to show the variance from year to year, box to box, and even stick to stick. Handmade product and all that.

I remember smoking one in the last blind review that I'd had several times before and it just didn't taste quite the same as the others to me.

Tobias Lutz
06-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Fantastic Review! That's exactly my take of the 5 Vegas A "AAA"

Cool! I've only smoked one of those before and it was almost a petite corona size. In retrospect, certain facets of this cigar were similar, but the robusto definitely smoked somewhat differently. Thanks for putting the pass together Craig, I'll sit back and enjoy others being in the hotseat now :lol:

madbricky
06-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Tobias Lutz I really appreciate your participation, we all enjoy your writing. Nobody quite puts to words the facets of a cigar the way you do!
Is been great having Joel defetis dive right in today on reviews. His enthusiasm had me chomping at the bit to get into some cigars myself.
You guys rock!

madbricky
06-08-2014, 08:41 PM
USHOG Thanks for putting in some awesome cigars to smoke! All I can say is there are 3 more great smokes to enjoy, and guess lol.

madbricky
06-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Update!Easy Blind Pass #1 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) (Affordable)
1. defetis rec. 2 of 3 reviewed, sending out pass now
2. Cardinal waiting
3. JKlavins waiting
4. Tobias Lutz 2 of 2 done :-)
5. USHOG recieved 5

madbricky
06-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Sometimes the cigar will shrink a couple points in ring gauge. So when you do the first Google search something like this, add ring gauge up or down to get good results. Example, "6x52 box pressed maduro" good hunting!Here is some great reference I use to review and rate cigars that should help on your investigation.http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/04/p_4018261_0.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/puff/Cigar_Sizes_Shapes_Colours_High_Res_zpsmemzyys6.jp g.html)
And some great flavor wheels!http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/04/p_4018261_1.png (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/puff/cigar-flavors-wheel-large_zpsi7sfgvae.png.html)http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/04/p_4018261_2.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/puff/cigarwheel1_zps7nxcfjzr.jpg.html)
I like this review sheet, not for scoring as much as cutting in the middle right to the text on the left, into two pages and making a notebook that asks great questions on a cigar review.http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/04/p_4018261_3.png (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/puff/80725339_zpswwtruaar.png.html)
Good luck to my puffing brothers on coming out as the blind review king!

USHOG
06-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Blind Cigar Review #77 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=77)

Length 6 inches and width is a little over 3/4 of an inch which I interpreted to a 54 ring gauge.

Very solid construction, light brown wrapper with very few veins showing. Prelight smell is of light tobacco and a slight hay smell. Very good draw

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/09/p_4020875_0.jpg

First Third - First impression is that this is going to be a different cigar than I am used to. I am getting a slight hay and cedar and a few other tastes that i do not know how to describe. The ash is solid and light grey color to it. The ash held on for 3/4 of an inch. Lots of thick smoke this cigar is not very spicy

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/09/p_4020875_1.jpg

Second Third - I am getting a nuttyness flavor along side of the cedar. I would say this is a medium strength cigar. Lots of smoke output I am really enjoying this one.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/09/p_4020875_2.jpg

Final Third - The stregth is picking up a little but still a very smooth tasting ciar with hints of cedar and Hay. I am also getting a faint cinnamon flavor on the end of the draw. This cigar has performed excellent

I really liked this cigar lots of new flavors for me to figure out. I would love to try a few more of these

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/09/p_4020875_3.jpg

I think it is a La Gloria Cubana Gilded Age

madbricky
06-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Great review USHOG Of the Ramon Bueso Odyssey Connecticut toro 6x50.
It has a complex blend of fillers giving it much better than average flavor. That was a hard one to guess and the least likely of all to get pegged.
Great job though, I enjoyed your review.

madbricky
06-10-2014, 08:28 PM
For you fellas measuring cigars.
Rg is expressed in 64th of an inch. Unless you have dial calipers you have to do the math to convey the fraction common denominator to 64 and the top number is the rg. 3/4" = 4x16 and 3x16 to get 48/64th so that would be 48 rg add 2 for shrinkage and you get a 50rg cigar.

Cardinal
06-11-2014, 10:15 PM
defetis Awesome, thanks for the bomb Joel! I've wanted to try the Perdomo, Padilla, and Sencillo specifically, and I love Criollo wrappers and that barber pole is beautiful too...yummmm.

I'll check in on puts and takes tonight and try to get this in the mail tomorrow or Friday.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/11/p_4021854_0.jpg

madbricky
06-11-2014, 10:22 PM
my monolog is giving me a syndrome or something. How abouy the hottest girl fishing picture contest when its slow?Maybe we can come up with a prize! defetis please be the judge and rank 1 to 5 and we will all judge your entry by pm to me.
Fish on!http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/11/p_4021858_0.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/1044249_172473286267480_933365488_n_zpsqeu8z6s1.jp g.html)

defetis
06-11-2014, 10:30 PM
my monolog is giving me a syndrome or something. How abouy the hottest girl fishing picture contest when its slow?Maybe we can come up with a prize! defetis please be the judge and rank 1 to 5 and we will all judge your entry by pm to me.
Fish on!http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/11/p_4021863_0.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/1044249_172473286267480_933365488_n_zpsqeu8z6s1.jp g.html)

Damn man u hit my checklist. Dark hair tan skin and big titties. Woooo

4.2/5

defetis
06-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Since you went front I'll go back
http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/11/p_4021872_0.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/dat_bass_540_zpsyfpfdd6n.jpg.html)

I love bass

Tobias Lutz
06-11-2014, 10:59 PM
For you fellas measuring cigars.
Rg is expressed in 64th of an inch. Unless you have dial calipers you have to do the math to convey the fraction common denominator to 64 and the top number is the rg. 3/4" = 4x16 and 3x16 to get 48/64th so that would be 48 rg add 2 for shrinkage and you get a 50rg cigar.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/11/p_4021879_0.jpg

madbricky
06-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Anything getting a zoom earns a solid 4.0 for a perfect firm "bass" worth a mount. Since you went front I'll go back
http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/11/p_4021872_0.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/defetis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/dat_bass_540_zpsyfpfdd6n.jpg.html)

I love bass

madbricky
06-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Nice bomb defetis! Very gourmet.
Thanks for the mental image Tobias Lutz ! I quickly switched my mind to the fishing contest and all was good again.

Cardinal
06-12-2014, 09:29 PM
JKlavins - 9405903699300202321351 you've got incoming.

Cardinal
06-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Here goes nothing.

#22 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=22) was a 5"x50 robusto I believe, with a fairly dark, dry brown wrapper. Small veins, smooth, and pretty well-rolled. Slight crack near the cap and another near the foot. Aroma of spicy pepper and hay from the wrapper, then some tobacco sweetness on the prelight draw.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/14/p_4023060_0.jpg

1st Third
Pretty minimal spice, but lots of cocoa powder and some earthiness in the first section. Burn was dead on, firm grey ash hung on over an inch, and about average or maybe slightly below average smoke output.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/14/p_4023060_1.jpg

2nd Third
A bit of sweet cooking spice popped in, and from the midway point on the smoke output jumped up to average or above. I got some slightly, and pleasantly, bitter espresso flavor along with that same cocoa and hints of earthiness. Super smooth retrohale, no sting at all but just a nice sweet spiciness. I'll call it mild-med strength and medium flavor.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/14/p_4023060_2.jpg

Final Third
I picked up some almondy sweetness, and definitely the cigar stayed overall pretty sweet. Got a little creamy in the last section, along with a moderate uptick in spiciness. Still got chocolate and coffee flavors here too. The retro in the last part gave me a big sting of pepper, and I smoked it down to the nub. Strength maybe came up to medium by the end, but not an ass-kicker for sure.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/14/p_4023060_3.jpg

WAG
I enjoyed the smoke, especially the last 2/3. If this wasn't a La Aurora Escogidos maduro, then it did a nice impression of it for me. Mark me down for 1!

madbricky
06-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Cardinal great review and pictures! I was pleased to hear what an obviously well seasoned AB Nica Puro would taste like. Tough review when so many cigars of that pedigree abound. Spicy cocoa sweet on the finish is about a thousand Nica sticks but you did great my friend.

Cardinal
06-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Baaaaah! Thanks USHOG, it was a good stick.

The embarassing part is I wrote a full on review of this cigar a month or two back and it didn't taste the same to me at all. I even read through my notebook while I was smoking and deliberately just skimmed the Nica Puro notes cuz it was just OBVIOUS they weren't the same stick :ohwell:

JKlavins
06-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Package received!! I will post the puts and takes ASAP and get it heading back to madbricky!!

madbricky
06-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Good deal JKlavins just keep the puts under your hat, I'll do some blinding reviews myself and you get to laugh at my feeble attempts. No Camacho please thanks brother! Getting time for USHOG to do another review, it's been quiet here and your next 4 may win you bragging rights Texas style!

madbricky
06-22-2014, 12:46 PM
JKlavins PM sent! I'm wanting a box and some reviews soon, thanks! USHOG start those reviews ASAP, it's gone quiet too long, lol thanks!

JKlavins
06-24-2014, 01:24 AM
Takes:

#1 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) #28 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=28) #36 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=36) #44 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=44) #62 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=62)
Puts:
http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/24/p_4026922_1.jpg
#7 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=7) #8 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=8) #1 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) 2 #30 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=30) #32 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=32)
Heading out in the morning!

madbricky
06-24-2014, 08:26 PM
Looking forward to those reviews cigar Jedi master! Takes:

#1 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) #28 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=28) #36 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=36) #44 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=44) #62 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=62)
Puts:
http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/24/p_4026922_1.jpg
#7 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=7) #8 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=8) #1 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) 2 #30 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=30) #32 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=32)
Heading out in the morning!

madbricky
06-24-2014, 08:43 PM
Host: mad bricky, next on the list
1. defetis rec. 2 of 3 reviewed
2. Cardinal recieved, 1 reviewed
3. JKlavins recieved 5 to review
4. Tobias Lutz 2 of 2 done :-)
5. USHOG recieved 5, 1 reviewed
I know people are busy but we need to keep it moving please.
Let's wrap it up no later than 15 August, after that I will post the remaining blind cigars not reviewed. Thanks for a stellar effort on those guesses so far!

JKlavins
06-24-2014, 08:45 PM
Easy Blind Pass #1 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) 6-6.1 x 54-56 torpedo/piramide/belicoso

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/24/p_4027288_0.jpg

A nice slightly toothy dark chocolate wrapper, solid construction with a couple small soft spots in the center.
Smells like molasses and cocoa, the cold draw is slightly tighter than I prefer, and tastes like unsweetened molasses.

Started with a slightly bitter woody note, and some mild floral notes came in once it settled. The ash is slightly darker
grey with white, and slightly flaky but holds on for a bit.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/24/p_4027288_1.jpg

The second third started off with a dry cocoa with a hint of marshmallow, and the retrohale reminded me of an unsweetened cola.
A little bit of spiciness and a bright coffee has showed up at the halfway point and the ash is still holding on.

The last third had the flavors brightening a bit, with a bit of earthiness coming to join the bit of spice and coffee. Unfortunately
the heavy weekend might have dulled my senses, the flavors have been a bit difficult to pick out, and I'm finding it difficult to nail
this one down.

I would rate this cigar a 8.2 out of 10, and madbricky I am guessing this is a CAO Italia Gondola.

defetis
06-24-2014, 08:48 PM
Review # 3 that I had.

Didn't do pics. It was a maduro smoke that smelled awesome. As I inspected the smoke I found a natural leaf N on it. That's when I knew it was a LGC serie n ..so I hadn't had one in a while and sat outside at night and thoroughly enjoyed it with a few fingers of johnny walker black. That's for hosting an awesome pass madbricky

USHOG
06-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Blind Cigar #64 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=64) Review

Size - a little over 5 X and close to 52

Prelight - solid construction, dark brown wrapper with very few veins showing. light coco smells along side a sweet leather aroma. Very easy draw Lots of air coming through this cigar Very nice to look at and has a solid feel to the whole cigar

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/24/p_4027403_0.jpg

First Third - Pretty smooth cigar to start with, a light leathery taste with lots of smoke and has a campfire chocolateiness to it.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/24/p_4027403_1.jpg

Second Third - maybe a little pepper picking up as I go a long. Same smoky tastes with no chocolate at this time. Picking up in strength. The ash is grey and pretty tight. held on for well over an inch. Lots of smoke output with little effort. It has that burns so good feeling to the nose

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/24/p_4027403_2.jpg

Final Third - Getting a little spicy at the end with the leathery smells becoming stronger I would say this is a medium to full cigar.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/24/p_4027403_3.jpg

I think it might be a Ashton Estate Sun Grown it was a great smoke and I give it an A

madbricky
06-25-2014, 02:19 AM
Well done! Great descriptions about the Camacho triple Maduro from USHOG. very well written and pictures are great! Easy Blind Pass #1 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1) 6-6.1 x 54-56 torpedo/piramide/belicoso

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/25/p_4027484_0.jpg

A nice slightly toothy dark chocolate wrapper, solid construction with a couple small soft spots in the center.
Smells like molasses and cocoa, the cold draw is slightly tighter than I prefer, and tastes like unsweetened molasses.

Started with a slightly bitter woody note, and some mild floral notes came in once it settled. The ash is slightly darker
grey with white, and slightly flaky but holds on for a bit.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/25/p_4027484_1.jpg

The second third started off with a dry cocoa with a hint of marshmallow, and the retrohale reminded me of an unsweetened cola.
A little bit of spiciness and a bright coffee has showed up at the halfway point and the ash is still holding on.

The last third had the flavors brightening a bit, with a bit of earthiness coming to join the bit of spice and coffee. Unfortunately
the heavy weekend might have dulled my senses, the flavors have been a bit difficult to pick out, and I'm finding it difficult to nail
this one down.

I would rate this cigar a 8.2 out of 10, and madbricky I am guessing this is a CAO Italia Gondola.

madbricky
06-25-2014, 02:22 AM
Pure genius, I wouldn't of thunk it was a LGC in a million years, lol! Review # 3 that I had.

Didn't do pics. It was a maduro smoke that smelled awesome. As I inspected the smoke I found a natural leaf N on it. That's when I knew it was a LGC serie n ..so I hadn't had one in a while and sat outside at night and thoroughly enjoyed it with a few fingers of johnny walker black. That's for hosting an awesome pass madbricky

madbricky
06-25-2014, 02:24 AM
I wish I could say winner, winner, chicken dinner! But your excellent review was well written and illustrated about the Asylum 13 I enjoyed your take on this classic very much! Blind Cigar #64 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=64) Review

Size - a little over 5 X and close to 52

Prelight - solid construction, dark brown wrapper with very few veins showing. light coco smells along side a sweet leather aroma. Very easy draw Lots of air coming through this cigar Very nice to look at and has a solid feel to the whole cigar

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/25/p_4027486_0.jpg

First Third - Pretty smooth cigar to start with, a light leathery taste with lots of smoke and has a campfire chocolateiness to it.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/25/p_4027486_1.jpg

Second Third - maybe a little pepper picking up as I go a long. Same smoky tastes with no chocolate at this time. Picking up in strength. The ash is grey and pretty tight. held on for well over an inch. Lots of smoke output with little effort. It has that burns so good feeling to the nose

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/25/p_4027486_2.jpg

Final Third - Getting a little spicy at the end with the leathery smells becoming stronger I would say this is a medium to full cigar.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/25/p_4027486_3.jpg

I think it might be a Ashton Estate Sun Grown it was a great smoke and I give it an A

JKlavins
06-25-2014, 03:01 AM
#28 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=28) 5.5-5.75 x 44-46

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/25/p_4027493_0.jpg

Dark brown oily wrapper, with some interesting mottling and smooth with no real huge veins. Solid construction with the slightest
bit of sponginess and no soft spots. Smells slightly tangy, and the foot smells like brownie mix. The cold draw is slightly tight, and
it has a dull earthy sweetness.

It starts off with a spiciness and dull bitterness, and then changes into a nice green peppery sweetness once it settled in. The smoke
output is pretty monstrous even while sitting there and the puffs are thick clouds!

The second third brought on a definite cocoa and woodiness with the spiciness still there. The ash is clean and white, and it seems
to fall in one inch pieces.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/25/p_4027493_1.jpg

The last third lost the spiciness but the coffee was joined by a nice leather, and I sense some dried fruit peeking in occasionally.
Unfortunately a crack formed in the wrapper by the head, and it is getting worse and worse with every puff. I tried to patch it with a
piece of wrapper i had laying around, but it isn't doing much. I can feel the strength picking up, as I feel like I need more and
more sips of ginger ale while I'm smoking haha.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/25/p_4027493_2.jpg

Even though I had to give up before the very end because it completely split, it was quite enjoyable, I would rate this a 8.9/10 and
madbricky my guess is that this was an Undercrown Corona Viva!

madbricky
06-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Cardinal listed this as a much different cigar that looks like was mixed up with another lighter cigar in Robusto. Your review is spot on for the UC Corona Viva even with a little shrinkage. We have a winner folks! great work Janis! #28 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=28) 5.5-5.75 x 44-46

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/25/p_4027493_0.jpg

Dark brown oily wrapper, with some interesting mottling and smooth with no real huge veins. Solid construction with the slightest
bit of sponginess and no soft spots. Smells slightly tangy, and the foot smells like brownie mix. The cold draw is slightly tight, and
it has a dull earthy sweetness.

It starts off with a spiciness and dull bitterness, and then changes into a nice green peppery sweetness once it settled in. The smoke
output is pretty monstrous even while sitting there and the puffs are thick clouds!

The second third brought on a definite cocoa and woodiness with the spiciness still there. The ash is clean and white, and it seems
to fall in one inch pieces.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/25/p_4027493_1.jpg

The last third lost the spiciness but the coffee was joined by a nice leather, and I sense some dried fruit peeking in occasionally.
Unfortunately a crack formed in the wrapper by the head, and it is getting worse and worse with every puff. I tried to patch it with a
piece of wrapper i had laying around, but it isn't doing much. I can feel the strength picking up, as I feel like I need more and
more sips of ginger ale while I'm smoking haha.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/25/p_4027493_2.jpg

Even though I had to give up before the very end because it completely split, it was quite enjoyable, I would rate this a 8.9/10 and
madbricky my guess is that this was an Undercrown Corona Viva!

Cardinal
06-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Cardinal listed this as a much different cigar that looks like was mixed up with another lighter cigar in Robusto. Your review is spot on for the UC Corona Viva even with a little shrinkage. We have a winner folks! great work Janis!

I suck! Must've mixed up the bands.

Nice job JKlavins! I love these and have been keeping a ton on hand since I discovered them about a year ago.

madbricky
06-25-2014, 06:37 PM
All is forgiven, no harm, no foul, You don't suck! No problem my friend lolI suck! Must've mixed up the bands.

Nice job JKlavins! I love these and have been keeping a ton on hand since I discovered them about a year ago.

Cardinal
06-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Well at least it was a decent smoke.

It's been raining cats and dogs here so haven't smoked a bunch lately (at home anyway, I'm at a cigar shop now :) ), but looking forward to doing my other two reviews.

madbricky
06-27-2014, 10:41 AM
The box is full circle now. Thanks for the cigar Janis!http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/27/p_4028572_0.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140627_082611_zpsl6pgmlky.jpg.html)
And a very fine set of bodyguards from Tim, Cardinal bombing a super nice La Aurora rolled on the thighs of a virgin no less! Thanks fellas! http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/27/p_4028572_1.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140627_082559_zpsm4qafwsx.jpg.html)

I'm on the review process now with Janis JKlavins keeping the secret to the identity.

USHOG
06-27-2014, 05:45 PM
Blind Review #2 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2)

size 6 x 50 Torpedo

Medium brown wrapper with a solid core no soft spots. Not much smell on the prelight other than a light tobacco. Very nice construction. The draw is very firm with a slight taste of tobacco

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/27/p_4028794_0.jpg

First Third - still has a very hard draw with medium smoke output. I can not really pick out any specific flavors and a very mild cigar to begin with. I . sure am hoping it will pick up. The cigar is burning down one side I had to correct it twice. The ash is dark great and holding on pretty good. I tried out my new draw poker but it did not help much if any.

Second Third - I had to quit smoking the cigar as it got a really twangy aftertaste. I assume from puffing so hard to get it to draw

I do not know what it is as it didn't perform very well

ShaneG
06-27-2014, 05:48 PM
This is fun to watch; I'm still waiting to see if Craig nails all of his.

USHOG
06-27-2014, 05:54 PM
It is fun to watch but I feel I do not know very many cigar flavors out of my usual cigars. It has changed the way I smoke cigars that is for sure looking for flavors instead of waiting to find them. Do you also find yourself looking for flavors in other things in your life like drinks, food, etc it is driving me crazy.

madbricky
06-28-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm sorry that smoke was a pain brother. Normally the Ave Maria gives up some of the best of AJ Fernandez lighter smoking experience. I'm afraid it might have gone to moist side of things as I usually experience an open draw on those cigars. Burning up one side as in canoeing is often the result of being stored on one side to long. Better luck next time on #10 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=10) and #13 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=13) . One is another AJ blend for you to guess and the other is something Batman would enjoy. I hope that little bit of a hint helps you to narrow the search. LolBlind Review #2 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2)

size 6 x 50 Torpedo

Medium brown wrapper with a solid core no soft spots. Not much smell on the prelight other than a light tobacco. Very nice construction. The draw is very firm with a slight taste of tobacco

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/27/p_4028794_0.jpg

First Third - still has a very hard draw with medium smoke output. I can not really pick out any specific flavors and a very mild cigar to begin with. I . sure am hoping it will pick up. The cigar is burning down one side I had to correct it twice. The ash is dark great and holding on pretty good. I tried out my new draw poker but it did not help much if any.

Second Third - I had to quit smoking the cigar as it got a really twangy aftertaste. I assume from puffing so hard to get it to draw

I do not know what it is as it didn't perform very well

madbricky
06-28-2014, 06:21 PM
It is fun to watch but I feel I do not know very many cigar flavors out of my usual cigars. It has changed the way I smoke cigars that is for sure looking for flavors instead of waiting to find them. Do you also find yourself looking for flavors in other things in your life like drinks, food, etc it is driving me crazy.

You have the idea down! Print out the flavor wheel and write on it for each cigar. If you go to the Cigar Inspector website the article that comes with the flavor wheel outlines a systematic approach to going from general flavor recognition to drilling down the specific flavor in each group. An example would be the Jalapa leaf from Esteli being sweet and spicy versus the more just sweet impression of the African Cameroon. A certain recognition can be made of the Ecuador or Dominican versus US grown Connecticut leaf just by the character of a herbal flavor each is fairly unique in. It will come to you if it is something that greatly interests you. I rarely get a cigar that just leaps out to me and gives up the identity. I learn more each and every cigar and laugh even harder when I read a review from the likes of some so called experts when they literally invent flavors to cover up the fact that they can't define the flavors with common language. The biggest one I see is the flavor of toasted tobacco being called "leather". Toasted tobacco is toasted tobacco! Lol

madbricky
06-28-2014, 06:25 PM
This is fun to watch; I'm still waiting to see if Craig nails all of his.

If I get one I will be happy! Right now my head is so stuffed I could use a cigar poker right up the nostril just to taste my own pipe blend drowning in Anejo Tequila. It's that time of year in upper Illinois for pollen and mold after all the rain. I'll be on it next week though!

USHOG
06-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Blind Review #34 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=34)

size 6 x 54 torpedo

slight coco smell on the prelight very nice brown wrapper with very few veins showing. The draw is very loose almost like a straw.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/29/p_4029608_0.jpg

First Third - deep earthiness with a slight coco flavor to it. Starting off as a pretty strong cigar with tons of smoke output almost overwhelming to the nose. I am really having to go slow to not over heat this cigar the draw is almost nothing

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/29/p_4029608_1.jpg

Second Third - Strength has not mellowed at all pretty darn strong lots of subtle flavors with a leathery after taste. The ash has held on for over an inch and is gray and flakey.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/29/p_4029608_2.jpg

Final Third - a slight earthiness along side a leartheryness to it. This cigar has performed very good with lots of smoke output. I would give it an A

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/29/p_4029608_3.jpg

I think it is a Oliva Cain F 654 Torpedo

madbricky
06-30-2014, 07:46 PM
I'm glad you liked it, that particular Man O War Ruination came from my special collection of aged MOW stash and is a personal favorite! your guess is getting really close in profiles now. The kicker is the size difference with the Cain at 6x54 and Ruination at 5.7x56. Great review and pictures and thanks for kicking these out so fast. Blind Review #34 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=34)

size 6 x 54 torpedo

slight coco smell on the prelight very nice brown wrapper with very few veins showing. The draw is very loose almost like a straw.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/29/p_4029608_0.jpg

First Third - deep earthiness with a slight coco flavor to it. Starting off as a pretty strong cigar with tons of smoke output almost overwhelming to the nose. I am really having to go slow to not over heat this cigar the draw is almost nothing

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/29/p_4029608_1.jpg

Second Third - Strength has not mellowed at all pretty darn strong lots of subtle flavors with a leathery after taste. The ash has held on for over an inch and is gray and flakey.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/29/p_4029608_2.jpg

Final Third - a slight earthiness along side a leartheryness to it. This cigar has performed very good with lots of smoke output. I would give it an A

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/06/29/p_4029608_3.jpg

I think it is a Oliva Cain F 654 Torpedo

madbricky
06-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Cardinal JKlavins
Tim and Janis, looking for some awesome reviews as soon as you can! Thanks brothers!

JKlavins
07-02-2014, 04:11 AM
Blind Cigar #36 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=36)
5-5.2 x 52-56

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/02/p_4030799_0.jpg

Slightly dark tan wrapper, very clean and smooth with hardly any veins. Nice construction, slightly spongy and smells like sweet hay.
After a xikar punch, the draw had the ideal amount of resistance and seemed to have a slightly bitter oaky wood taste with a touch of dry cocoa.

It started off a little spicy with a touch of burnt/dried fruit and toasted nuts along with a mild bitterness. Once it settled in it had a slightly sweet
oaky flavor with a touch of earthiness.The ash is clean, light grey with some darker streaks and is clinging on very well.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/02/p_4030799_1.jpg

The second third has a nice leatheriness taking the lead on top of the previous flavors, and the ash finally fell halfway. The retrohale has a nice
flash of vivid spiciness, but doesn't last long enough to be a bother. There is a nice slightly sweet cocoa aftertaste that showed up way after the
smoke left, which brought my focus back to the cigar while typing haha.

In the last third we have the oaky wood coming to the lead, with more of a toasted flavor. Unfortunately it is also becoming slightly bitter, but I
will deal with it for now. the bitterness left towards the end and the wood became very fresh and vivid.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/02/p_4030799_2.jpg

Overall this wasn't a bad cigar, I would rate it a 8.7/10 and madbricky my guess is that this is a Perdomo Champagne 10th Anniversary Robusto.

madbricky
07-02-2014, 11:48 PM
Hot dignity, you mailed that one Janis! What can I say. Your the man! Blind Cigar #36 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=36)
5-5.2 x 52-56

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/02/p_4031221_0.jpg

Slightly dark tan wrapper, very clean and smooth with hardly any veins. Nice construction, slightly spongy and smells like sweet hay.
After a xikar punch, the draw had the ideal amount of resistance and seemed to have a slightly bitter oaky wood taste with a touch of dry cocoa.

It started off a little spicy with a touch of burnt/dried fruit and toasted nuts along with a mild bitterness. Once it settled in it had a slightly sweet
oaky flavor with a touch of earthiness.The ash is clean, light grey with some darker streaks and is clinging on very well.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/02/p_4031221_1.jpgb

The second third has a nice leatheriness taking the lead on top of the previous flavors, and the ash finally fell halfway. The retrohale has a nice
flash of vivid spiciness, but doesn't last long enough to be a bother. There is a nice slightly sweet cocoa aftertaste that showed up way after the
smoke left, which brought my focus back to the cigar while typing haha.

In the last third we have the oaky wood coming to the lead, with more of a toasted flavor. Unfortunately it is also becoming slightly bitter, but I
will deal with it for now. the bitterness left towards the end and the wood became very fresh and vivid.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/02/p_4031221_2.jpg

Overall this wasn't a bad cigar, I would rate it a 8.7/10 and madbricky my guess is that this is a Perdomo Champagne 10th Anniversary Robusto.

madbricky
07-08-2014, 09:56 PM
JKlavins
Blind review of no. 8

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/08/p_4033335_0.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140708_082704_zps31voaaug.jpg.html)http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/08/p_4033335_1.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140708_083024-1_zpscmy6e7qo.jpg.html)

A natural brown, like the Sumatra wrapper, cigar measured 5.5x47rg. Construction is good with a few large veins seen against tight seams ending with a double cap. The cigar is still plump with moisture and no soft spots are felt.
The cold aroma is not presenting any strong odor indicating little aging of the Leaf.
It was clipped and the cold draw was very clean like oak and dried natural tobacco. An extra inch was cut off to determine the construction. It showed a bunched construction bound with a lighter colored leaf likely Connecticut surrounding multiple fillers.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/08/p_4033335_2.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140708_085429_zpsavo0prkj.jpg.html)

On first light I was met with a twangy taste followed with a shot of spicy black pepper. The pepper settled down right away to an even level mostly caught on the retrohale

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/08/p_4033335_3.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140708_092512_zpsofbldel0.jpg.html)

Around the halfway point this toast and woody oak developed a nice creamy overtone that woke me up from this sleepy simple puffing.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/08/p_4033335_4.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140708_093843_zpsfwqps0xl.jpg.html)

The pleasant medium taste and body with this creamy toast and oak lasted into the last two inchs when the high humidity here took its toll and shut down a steady burn.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/08/p_4033335_5.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140708_100313_zps7mgk2iwo.jpg.html)

There are plenty enough cigars in this size range so I had to parse out the unique aspects. It came down to the double cap, CT. binder and notable lack of aged tobacco.
It appears that I smoked the Hoya de Monterrey Corona with the natural Sumatra.
It's fun as usual, looking forward to the next one!

JKlavins
07-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Great review! Unfortunately #8 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=8) was a La Flor Dominicana Air Bender Poderoso!

JKlavins
Blind review of no. 8

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/08/p_4033366_0.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140708_082704_zps31voaaug.jpg.html)http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/08/p_4033366_1.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140708_083024-1_zpscmy6e7qo.jpg.html)

A natural brown, like the Sumatra wrapper, cigar measured 5.5x47rg. Construction is good with a few large veins seen against tight seams ending with a double cap. The cigar is still plump with moisture and no soft spots are felt.
The cold aroma is not presenting any strong odor indicating little aging of the Leaf.
It was clipped and the cold draw was very clean like oak and dried natural tobacco. An extra inch was cut off to determine the construction. It showed a bunched construction bound with a lighter colored leaf likely Connecticut surrounding multiple fillers.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/08/p_4033366_2.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140708_085429_zpsavo0prkj.jpg.html)

On first light I was met with a twangy taste followed with a shot of spicy black pepper. The pepper settled down right away to an even level mostly caught on the retrohale

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/08/p_4033366_3.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140708_092512_zpsofbldel0.jpg.html)

Around the halfway point this toast and woody oak developed a nice creamy overtone that woke me up from this sleepy simple puffing.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/08/p_4033366_4.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140708_093843_zpsfwqps0xl.jpg.html)

The pleasant medium taste and body with this creamy toast and oak lasted into the last two inchs when the high humidity here took its toll and shut down a steady burn.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/08/p_4033366_5.jpg (http://s939.photobucket.com/user/madbricky/media/20140708_100313_zps7mgk2iwo.jpg.html)

There are plenty enough cigars in this size range so I had to parse out the unique aspects. It came down to the double cap, CT. binder and notable lack of aged tobacco.
It appears that I smoked the Hoya de Monterrey Corona with the natural Sumatra.
It's fun as usual, looking forward to the next one!

madbricky
07-09-2014, 12:40 AM
Ha I looked at that one too, that's the nature of the game!

JKlavins
07-10-2014, 03:52 AM
Blind Cigar #62 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=62)
5.75-6 x 50-54

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/10/p_4034107_0.jpg

Nice, smooth clean milk chocolate brown wrapper with only one half-serious vein. Slightly spongy, with only one soft spot about an inch from the foot.
Smells slightly sweet and grassy, and the foot reminds me of chocolate and graham crackers. With a v-cut the draw is slightly snug, and the taste is
like the sweet grass and graham crackers.

The first flavors were a bit grassy followed by a green pepper, followed by a slight spice. Once it settled in, there was a nice mellow woody flavor with
an enjoyable deep spiciness that didn't linger too long.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/10/p_4034107_1.jpg

The ash is nice and slightly flaky, where you can see each puff left a little ring. It held on until right before the second third, where the flavors kept that
deep mild spiciness, but a bit of fresh mocha coffee started to appear. As it progressed farther, the coffee was becoming stronger and the spiciness was
waning. a little bit of that woodiness was coming back as well. The ash seems to fall in 1.25 inch chunks as well haha.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/10/p_4034107_2.jpg

In the last third the cocoa boosted a little bit after a purge, along with the coffee a little earthiness is lingering in the back. Right before the end, the
spiciness returned as expected and the finish was a wonderful combo of the previously mentioned flavors.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/10/p_4034107_3.jpg

I enjoyed this cigar, and I think I would definitely grab some more. I would rate this a 8.9/10 and madbricky my guess is that this was an
Oliva Cain F 550.

Cardinal
07-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Nice reviews, both of you!

I've been working like a dog, then out of town last week, then out of town again most of this week. I should get one if not both of my remaining reviews in this weekend.

madbricky
07-11-2014, 01:36 AM
Looking forward to it! Nice reviews, both of you!

I've been working like a dog, then out of town last week, then out of town again most of this week. I should get one if not both of my remaining reviews in this weekend.

madbricky
07-11-2014, 01:41 AM
This was a great review of the L'atelier mystery stick defetis got for you. Thanks for the great effort on this review,, it's a blast to read your fine work! Blind Cigar #62 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=62)
5.75-6 x 50-54

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/11/p_4034745_0.jpg

Nice, smooth clean milk chocolate brown wrapper with only one half-serious vein. Slightly spongy, with only one soft spot about an inch from the foot.
Smells slightly sweet and grassy, and the foot reminds me of chocolate and graham crackers. With a v-cut the draw is slightly snug, and the taste is
like the sweet grass and graham crackers.

The first flavors were a bit grassy followed by a green pepper, followed by a slight spice. Once it settled in, there was a nice mellow woody flavor with
an enjoyable deep spiciness that didn't linger too long.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/11/p_4034745_1.jpg

The ash is nice and slightly flaky, where you can see each puff left a little ring. It held on until right before the second third, where the flavors kept that
deep mild spiciness, but a bit of fresh mocha coffee started to appear. As it progressed farther, the coffee was becoming stronger and the spiciness was
waning. a little bit of that woodiness was coming back as well. The ash seems to fall in 1.25 inch chunks as well haha.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/11/p_4034745_2.jpg

In the last third the cocoa boosted a little bit after a purge, along with the coffee a little earthiness is lingering in the back. Right before the end, the
spiciness returned as expected and the finish was a wonderful combo of the previously mentioned flavors.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/11/p_4034745_3.jpg

I enjoyed this cigar, and I think I would definitely grab some more. I would rate this a 8.9/10 and madbricky my guess is that this was an
Oliva Cain F 550.

JKlavins
07-11-2014, 03:05 AM
This was a great review of the L'atelier mystery stick defetis got for you. Thanks for the great effort on this review,, it's a blast to read your fine work!

Mmhmmm :mmph: defetis trying to trip me up with a non-regular production LíAtelier Extension De La Racine! The price range was right, but I'm pretty sure there is no way I would have guessed that! Good cigar, haha now you have me trying to find some more!

Cardinal
07-13-2014, 11:21 AM
madbricky - Here's my review of #60 (https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=60) . It's 5" in length, and looks to be 46-50 RG. Given the length, I'm guessing it's a 50RG that's shrunk a bit, because I don't recall many cigars running 5x46-48.

Dark golden brown wrapper, a few moderate veins but otherwise smooth with a fine oily sheen to it. I don't feel any soft spots, and it's got a well-applied triple cap. I got a pretty peppery aroma from the wrapper, and some more pepper and raisin after I clipped the cap. The cold draw was perfectly firm. This cigar looks like it's put together right, so I'm looking forward to it!

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/13/p_4035818_0.jpg

Right off the bat some nice black pepper and a big toasty taste. The first inch had some black tea dryness to me, but after that I got some light nuttiness too, with in-and-out cream. The ash dropped as I was taking the picture..bummer.

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w547/temeric79/2014-07/5402BD46-521E-4624-ACDA-6C30E68DBDFD_zpszq7rfbum.jpg

Second section gave some more toastiness, very light spices and pepper, and now some mellow cedar too. The smoke output was great, burn was dead-on perfect, and the flaky ash hung on a little over an inch each time. I think it's about med/med- flavor and strength, and just like my last review I'm kinda leaning towards a Dominican cigar but I really don't know. Especially since last time I thought I had a DR it turned out to be a Nicaraguan puro :bitchslap:

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/13/p_4035818_1.jpg

Strength and flavor picked up a little bit in the last part, and now I'm leaning away from a Dominican and more towards a Nicaraguan. The spiciness has picked up a bit, more savory than sweet. The retrohale is not to 'stingy' with pepper, but has a little zip to it still. I also taste a little earthiness which is what makes me think Nic, along with the uptick in nicotine. Towards the very end I got a little bit of dried fruit flavor with a hint of sweetness but not too sweet, and maybe a touch of leather too.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2014/07/13/p_4035818_2.jpg

Whatever it was, it was tasty, pretty smooth, and never overpowering. I am vaguely reminded of a Four Kicks I smoked earlier this year, but this seems a little spicier to me. I also thought a little about an Oliva O, but the color of the wrapper seems different to me - this one seems lighter than the Os I've smoked.

I'll stick with my initial thought and guess it's a Four Kicks!