Blind Taste Test/PIF II [Archive] - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

: Blind Taste Test/PIF II

tedrodgerscpa
09-12-2008, 08:08 PM
This is a continuation of this thread HERE... (http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109223)

From the original post...

This idea/concept was started in a thread back in 2005 and survived up until about 2 months ago...There was discussion between kenstogie and I then that it may need to be restarted..so since I am closing the raffle I wanted to restart this idea...I did it and loved the idea...Yeah there are a few different Blind Taste tests going on but who doesn't want free cigars and a chance to make a foll of them selves??? I spent a good deal of time reading through that thread when I 1st started here since its ful of some very good reviews of cigars before they knew what they were smoking...I plan on keeping a updadted list of who has sent and who has recieved and who we are waiting on reviews from..that way its easier to follow..now if there is no interst I will go back to my corner and pout......With out further adu.......

:mn So this is the premise....
-Send 4 stix with no bands just labeled A,B,C,D 1 crappy, 1 mediocre, 2 great or good at least.
-Then recipiant will write reviews of all 4 here.
-Pick out the junk.
-Sender tells the guinea pig what he's had after the reviews.
Then of course pay it forward. It's good to put 1 great stick in there and 1 crappy stick in there. Next BOTL/SOTL to reply gets the free ones. Remember no bands so there is no bias at all. That's the point to taste a stick for the taste not the brand or band.:mn

Thanks for everything you've done in the prior thread... to keep the confusion down, here's a brand new thread.

I'll be copying over the new list shortly, and provide a referring link at the bottom of the old thread.

tedrodgerscpa
09-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Link to the old list here, just click on the blue arrow/box and you'll make see the latest list

Lots of updates.
Please post in thread
if there are corrections.

If you want to offer up,
it will speed up your
receiving chances.

There was some confusion
and I'd like to know who is
trading with who. Please
update me with a post in
the thread as soon as
possible. As of now, there is
only one person that has offered
up other than me, and that
offer seems to have been taken.

As long as there is a bit of patience,
then this thread will be easy to
control. If a trade has been
agreed upon, it should be posted
in the thread.

Updated list

ssutton219---> shaerza--received--DONE
ssutton219---> boonedoggle--received--DONE
boonedoggle--> cman78--received--DONE
Shaerza--> Irons--recieved
cman78--> Dan--received
Jason_of_Texas--> Perry72--DONE
Irons--> 4WheelVFR--recieved--DONE
Dan_--> Cigarmark--recieved
4WheelVFR--> bobarian--recieved--DONE
Perry72--> Hurricane6--recieved--DONE
CigarMark--> jkorp--received --DONE
jkorp--> Addiction--received
hurricane6--> dantzig--received--DONE
bobarian--> SteveDMatt--received
SteveDMatt--> wayner123--received--DONE
Addiction --> tedrodgerscpa--received--DONE
tedrodgerscpa --> Prefy--received
tedrodgerscpa --> wayner123--received--DONE
dantzig--> hurricane6--received--DONE
hurricane6--> bobarian--received--DONE
waymer123--> tedrodgersca--received--DONE
Prefy--> vanderburg--received--DONE
vanderburg--> Tredegar--received
bobarian--> bbaug14--received--DONE
bbaug14--> Doctaj--received
Doctaj--> jjirons69--received--DONE
vanderburg--> Fortunate_Son--received--DONE
jjirons69--> vanderburg--received--DONE
hurricane6--> wayner123--received--DONE
Tredegar--> tedrodgerscpa--received--DONE
tedrodgerscpa--> hurricane6--received--DONE
rwhit37--> Padron42--received--DONE
Padron42--> rwhit37--received
wayner123-->ir13--received--DONE
hurricane6-->ChasDen--received--DONE
Fortunate_Son-->smokeyscotch--received
ir13-->hardcz--received--DONE
smokeyscotch-->awsmith4--received--DONE
hardcz-->4WheelVFR--received--DONE
4WheelVFR-->wayner123--received--DONE
ChasDen-->tedrodgerscpa--received--DONE
tedrodgerscpa-->yourchoice--received--DONE
wayner123-->4WheelVFR--received
hurricane6-->bobarian--received--DONE
bobarian-->hurricane6--received--DONE
yourchoice-->biglizard1--received--DONE
hurricane9-->hardcz--received--DONE
awsmith-->Kondour--received
hardcz-->AD720--received--DONE
Kondour-->awsmith--received
4WheelVFR-->ChasDen--received
AD720-->4WheelVFR--received
tedrodgerscpa-->Mr. Ed--received--DONE
Mr. Ed-->BigLizard1--received
BigLizard1-->hurricane6
hurricane6-->tedrodgerscpa--received
Mr. Ed-->Beer Doctor--received
Beer Doctor-->Mr. Ed--received

Offering Up
tedrodgerscpa

Waiting List
MysticalMan
redrockeyes
BlackIrish
Gophernut

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Waiting list folks should PM at the top of the 'offering up' list to get a trade going! Make sure to leave trader feedback as this is a PIF

Please post in thread if any of the blind taste test/PIFs are done! That way I can update the list!

Be sure to let your fellow BOTLs and SOTLs know that the Blind Taste Test is here, and is a great way to learn how to pay attention to, and pick up on, the different flavors and strengths of cigars!

Next list update will not include the old
DONE trades in the interest brevity.

_mo
09-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Please add me to the waiting list :ss

ssutton219
09-12-2008, 09:19 PM
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tedrodgerscpa again."

Gret job Ted...if you ever need any help let me know!!

Shawn

BlackIrish
09-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Ted, thanks for cleaning up this thread.

I offered up. GopherNut took my offer. He received my package of four blind smokes and I assume he is now getting down to the important business of smoking them.

BlackIrish

jjirons69
09-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Great job, Ted and Shawn!

Hail to the new Emperor (All hail!)

Put me on the Offering Up list, Ted.

hurricane6
09-12-2008, 10:12 PM
I received David's(biglizard) end of a BTT. I will get to smokin' soon!
Keep up the great work guys!:tu

ir13
09-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Ted, put me offering up 2-3x.

rwhit37
09-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Mine is done. (Padron42--> rwhit37--received)

I could have sworn I posted a review but I can't find it. I'm going to look through my cigar notes to see if I still have it.

Beer Doctor
09-13-2008, 12:22 AM
This is a review of cigar "A" from Mr. Ed.

Smoking conditions
Smoked on a humid night that turned to a rainy night:hn
Prelight
It was 4.5x52, rothschild. The wrapper was a nice dark leaf, maybe maduro? The cigar was pretty hard with not much give and no soft spots. The cigar was also pretty toothy. There was a normal cap. The prelight smell was a a nice tobacco smell. The prelight draw tasted like anise. I'm very excited to smoke this.

First Third
The draw was pretty tight in the beginning. The flavor started off great with a little spice. I wasn't getting much smoke at first. Once the cigar started going the amount of smoked picked up. There was a nice sweet and woody flavor with not too much spice. As I continued the spice picked up, which was very nice:tu. This cigar definitely feels full bodied and I'm beginning to think I know what it is. The ash is a nice grey/white. The spice is picking up a lot and there is some sweetness under the bite. The spice is a cayenne pepper. I'm loving this smoke now:ss. I'm definitely feeling the vitamin N and my mouth is drying out a bit, which is probably because I'm not drinking anything with this. I'm getting some chocolate undertones too.

Second Third
At this point it started sprinking out so I get an umbrella and trudge along. I'm detecting some anise which I think has been there throughout but I just placed it. This cigar has really hit its sweet spot now and I'm tasting wood and a little caramel. The spice is more of a black pepper now.

Last Third
After the 2nd ash I had to touch up the burn so it was even but that wasn't the cigars fault, more the humidity. Cigar is great and I also detect some lether and cedar.

My completely arbitrary rating shamelesly stolen from CA

Appearance & Construction-13/15
Flavor-23/25
Smoking Characteristics-23/25
Overall Impression-32/35
Total 91/100

My GUESS-I'm almost positive this was a Joya de Nicaragua Antano Consul. Since I said I'm positive I'm probably wrong:D.

This was a great smoke and I'm hoping it's a JdN, because I love the price of these. I only have one more of my JdNs left and I have to pick some more up. If it isn't JdN then I hope it's a cheap smoke so I can stock up!

So what did I smoke???

tedrodgerscpa
09-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Lots of updates.
Please post in thread

If a trade has been agreed upon, it should be posted in the thread.

This is a PIF (pay it forward) thread. You should be willing to give as well as receive.

Post in thread that you are willing to send out as well as receive blind smokes.
You do not need to be on the 'offering up' and 'waiting list' at the same time,
but you should be willing to send out within a few weeks of accepting an offer.

Updated list

Shaerza--> Irons--received
cman78--> Dan--received
jkorp--> Addiction--received
BigLizard1-->hurricane6--received
BlackIrish-->GopherNut
tedrodgerscpa-->BlackIrish

Offering Up
tedrodgerscpa
jjirons69
ir13
ir13

Waiting List
MysticalMan
redrockeyes
_mo

Waiting list folks should PM at the top of the 'offering up' list to get a trade going! Make sure to leave trader feedback as this is a PIF

Please post in thread if any of the blind taste test/PIFs are done! That way I can update the list!

Be sure to let your fellow BOTLs and SOTLs know that the Blind Taste Test is here, and is a great way to learn how to pay attention to, and pick up on, the different flavors and strengths of cigars!

tedrodgerscpa
09-13-2008, 01:52 AM
I will be sending blind smokes to BlackIrish

Biglizard1
09-13-2008, 02:21 AM
still working on these!
Mr. Ed-->BigLizard1--received:tu

Mr. Ed
09-13-2008, 12:39 PM
This is a review of cigar "A" from Mr. Ed.

Smoking conditions
Smoked on a humid night that turned to a rainy night:hn
Prelight
It was 4.5x52, rothschild. The wrapper was a nice dark leaf, maybe maduro? The cigar was pretty hard with not much give and no soft spots. The cigar was also pretty toothy. There was a normal cap. The prelight smell was a a nice tobacco smell. The prelight draw tasted like anise. I'm very excited to smoke this.

First Third
The draw was pretty tight in the beginning. The flavor started off great with a little spice. I wasn't getting much smoke at first. Once the cigar started going the amount of smoked picked up. There was a nice sweet and woody flavor with not too much spice. As I continued the spice picked up, which was very nice:tu. This cigar definitely feels full bodied and I'm beginning to think I know what it is. The ash is a nice grey/white. The spice is picking up a lot and there is some sweetness under the bite. The spice is a cayenne pepper. I'm loving this smoke now:ss. I'm definitely feeling the vitamin N and my mouth is drying out a bit, which is probably because I'm not drinking anything with this. I'm getting some chocolate undertones too.

Second Third
At this point it started sprinking out so I get an umbrella and trudge along. I'm detecting some anise which I think has been there throughout but I just placed it. This cigar has really hit its sweet spot now and I'm tasting wood and a little caramel. The spice is more of a black pepper now.

Last Third
After the 2nd ash I had to touch up the burn so it was even but that wasn't the cigars fault, more the humidity. Cigar is great and I also detect some lether and cedar.

Appearance & Construction-13/15
Flavor-23/25
Overall Impression-32/35
Total 91/100

My GUESS-I'm almost positive this was a Joya de Nicaragua Antano Consul. Since I said I'm positive I'm probably wrong:D.

This was a great smoke and I'm hoping it's a JdN, because I love the price of these. I only have one more of my JdNs left and I have to pick some more up. If it isn't JdN then I hope it's a cheap smoke so I can stock up!

So what did I smoke???
This was in fact a JdN Antano Marcus. This came from a box of these resting for over a year now and they're smoking fantastic. I think that given a few months of rest the JdN Antano's become amazing and go to a whole new level.

Sadly, the price on the whole blend just went up a good bit. You can no longer get a box for under $80.00. It is really sad indeed.

Glad you liked it. I'll post another review later today.

Addiction
09-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Jkorp and I completed our trade forever ago, sorry.

ir13
09-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Ted, MysticalMan & I are in trade.

That is all :D

walleyedad1
09-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Add me to the list Thanks :chk

BD Strummer
09-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Please, sign me up for waiting list.

Thanks. :tu

jjirons69
09-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Redrockeye and myself are ready to dance! Hopefully I'll get them off this week, if not, on Monday.

Should be very interesting!!!

tedrodgerscpa
09-16-2008, 09:09 PM
BlackIrish,

Here's your DC#

0103 8555 7494 8701 4399

Look forward to receiving your reviews!!!!

Ted

DoctaJ
09-17-2008, 10:00 AM

This one was done as well :ss

wayner123
09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
This one is done as well Ted:

BlackIrish
09-17-2008, 11:12 AM
BlackIrish,

Here's your DC#

0103 8555 7494 8701 4399

Look forward to receiving your reviews!!!!

Ted

Thanks, Ted. Looking forward to it!

Gophernut
09-18-2008, 11:52 AM
So I received some really nice looking cigars from BlackIrish the other day. I have been able to smoke a couple over the last couple of nights.
The first one 'A' was a nice looking smaller cigar, probably a petite corona or something along that size.
I clipped it and the pre-light draw was perfect. So I light it up and the first flavor was one of spice(pepper) and leather. This cigar was generating a lot of smoke, and burned perfectly. The cigar didn't change much, until the very end, when I thought I detected some coccoa, not a lot but just a tad.
Construction: 9/10
Appearance: 9/10
Overall: 9/10
I really enjoyed this cigar. I just wish it was bigger. As for a guess, I have no clue. I pretty new to this. It kind of reminded me of a RP vintage, but not sure.

The 2nd cigar, 'B' I have no pictures of. (left the camera at work.) This cigar was what I would call a robusto with a nice looking wrapper and only a few veins.
Clipped it, the pre-light draw was good, with a bit of an aftertaste. I fire this bad boy up, and the aftertaste just intensified. It reminded me of grass. (think pasture not :w) Not an altogether pleasant taste, but not bad enough for me to throw the thing away, and I wanted to finish this so I could give it a fair review.
So I press on. The cigar burns and draws beautifully, just didn't taste that way! The flavor profile never changed, it just had that aftertaste that I can't quite describe other than to say I didn't enjoy the flavor.
Appearance: 8/10
Overall: 4/10
Just didn't enjoy this stick. Never tasted anything like it. I have absolutely no idea what this was. Please let me know though! I am a sucker for a sales pitch...

I'll smoke the other two tonight and tomorrow so I'll post a review over the weekend.
Thanks for the smokes!

_mo
09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
I'll grab the offering up person at the top of the list upon the next update, as I can't tell who is still available.

Also - please add me to the offering up list so I can keep this PIF going. thanks!

BlackIrish
09-18-2008, 02:37 PM
So I received some really nice looking cigars from BlackIrish the other day. I have been able to smoke a couple over the last couple of nights.
The first one 'A' was a nice looking smaller cigar, probably a petite corona or something along that size.
I clipped it and the pre-light draw was perfect. So I light it up and the first flavor was one of spice(pepper) and leather. This cigar was generating a lot of smoke, and burned perfectly. The cigar didn't change much, until the very end, when I thought I detected some coccoa, not a lot but just a tad.
I really enjoyed this cigar. I just wish it was bigger. As for a guess, I have no clue. I pretty new to this. It kind of reminded me of a RP vintage, but not sure.

Cigar A was a Flor de Copan petit corona, a cheap bundle cigar that's made in the same factory in Honduras as some great cigars. http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigars&brand=FLOR%20DE%20COPAN

When I first got them, the draw was terrible, but now that they've had nearly 6mos in the humidor, they've dried out a bit and turned into a nice smoke. I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality and the price is unbelievable -- they practically pay you to smoke them.

Glad you liked it.

BlackIrish

BlackIrish
09-18-2008, 02:44 PM

The 2nd cigar, 'B' I have no pictures of. (left the camera at work.) This cigar was what I would call a robusto with a nice looking wrapper and only a few veins.
Clipped it, the pre-light draw was good, with a bit of an aftertaste. I fire this bad boy up, and the aftertaste just intensified. It reminded me of grass. (think pasture not :w) Not an altogether pleasant taste, but not bad enough for me to throw the thing away, and I wanted to finish this so I could give it a fair review.
So I press on. The cigar burns and draws beautifully, just didn't taste that way! The flavor profile never changed, it just had that aftertaste that I can't quite describe other than to say I didn't enjoy the flavor.
Just didn't enjoy this stick. Never tasted anything like it. I have absolutely no idea what this was. Please let me know though! I am a sucker for a sales pitch...

Cigar B was a Cuvee Blanc robusto. The Cuvee line (by Cusano I believe) caused some buzz when it was released and it's been described in glowing terms (here's CI's spin: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=C5-CBB5050). I picked up a five pack at auction and just didn't care for it at all. I thought it might be because I'm not a big fan of mild Dominican cigars with CTS wrappers, so I thought someone else might appreciate it more. Very interesting to me that you didn't care for it either (I'll hasten to note that I wasn't trying to send you crap; I thought I was sending you a good cigar that was wasted on me).

Hope you enjoy the next two more than this one.

BlackIrish

BlackIrish
09-18-2008, 02:47 PM

I'll smoke the other two tonight and tomorrow so I'll post a review over the weekend.
Thanks for the smokes!

This is a perfect example of why the Blind Taste Test is so useful: the Flor de Copan is dirt cheap, yet a delicious cigar when you come to it without preconceptions. The Cuvee Blanc is an expensive stick with aspirations of sophisticated super-premiumness, but when you smoke it without the label, you can be more honest in your criticisms.

Great reviews, GopherNut.

BlackIrish

_mo
09-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Cigar A was a Flor de Copan petit corona, a cheap bundle cigar that's made in the same factory in Honduras as some great cigars. http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigars&brand=FLOR%20DE%20COPAN

When I first got them, the draw was terrible, but now that they've had nearly 6mos in the humidor, they've dried out a bit and turned into a nice smoke. I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality and the price is unbelievable -- they practically pay you to smoke them.

Glad you liked it.

BlackIrish

Cool! glad I came across this. I'm going to pick up a box for Mass's CRS contest.

Gophernut
09-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Cigar B was a Cuvee Blanc robusto. The Cuvee line (by Cusano I believe) caused some buzz when it was released and it's been described in glowing terms (here's CI's spin: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=C5-CBB5050). I picked up a five pack at auction and just didn't care for it at all. I thought it might be because I'm not a big fan of mild Dominican cigars with CTS wrappers, so I thought someone else might appreciate it more. Very interesting to me that you didn't care for it either (I'll hasten to note that I wasn't trying to send you crap; I thought I was sending you a good cigar that was wasted on me).

Hope you enjoy the next two more than this one.

BlackIrish
I am sure that I will enjoy the next two more! You know what is wierd, is that I was thinking that this probably isn't a cheap cigar. The construction and burn on it were perfect! My wife and I were working in the garage and there were times where I wouldn't touch it for 10 minutes or so, and when I picked it up, it still had huge volumes of smoke without having to kill my self to get it going again.
I just didn't enjoy the aftertaste. If it wasn't for the flavor, it would have been an enjoyable smoke!:confused:

tedrodgerscpa
09-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
jkorp--> Addiction--received--DONE
bbaug14--> Doctaj--received--DONE
wayner123-->4WheelVFR--received--DONE
BlackIrish-->GopherNut--received
ir13-->MysticalMan
jjirons69-->redrockeyes

Offering Up
ir13
_mo

Waiting List
_mo
walleyedad1
BD Strummer

Lots of updates.
Please post in thread

If a trade has been agreed upon, it should be posted in the thread.

This is a PIF (pay it forward) thread. You should be willing to give as well as receive.

Post in thread that you are willing to send out as well as receive blind smokes.
You do not need to be on the 'offering up' and 'waiting list' at the same time,
but you should be willing to send out within a few weeks of accepting an offer.

tedrodgerscpa
09-18-2008, 09:17 PM
O.K., so I've been knocking out the sticks that hurricane6 has sent me, so here are some reviews.

Let's start with the first one I smoked, which was #5

Based on my CS ring gauge guide, this is a 7 X 48 churchill size cigar that demanded a huge time commitment. I carved out the best part of a Friday night with my smoking buddy (Zeke the Chow/Lab mix) and took some shots prelight.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895767_0.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895767_1.jpg

Nothing particularly fancy about the cap or foot on this one

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895767_2.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895767_3.jpg

The wrapper had a deep reddish brown coloring to it. Colorado, maybe?

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895767_4.jpg

Out to the porch, with a quick clip from the Palio, and we're off.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895767_5.jpg

Burn on this stick was nice, and the ash as white as snow. It gave off a very strong, but one-dimensional flavor throughout the stick.

I'd classify this as medium to full, but one dimensional.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895767_6.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895767_7.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895767_8.jpg

Took it down to the nub just to see if the flavor or intensity changed, but alas, it never quite did.

All in all, this is a decent smoke, but one that I'm not sure I'd pay a bunch of money for... Because it's a long stick and rather forgiving, I'd say it would be totally appropriate for a day on the lake or 18 holes (either of which on a full stomach)

I was nervous that this might have been an Ashton ESG based on appearance and construction... I'm not a huge fan of the ESG because I find it one-dimensional, which this smoke certainly was for me.... here's hoping it's NOT

Well, hurricane6, what did I just smoke?

tedrodgerscpa
09-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I'm tellin' ya, hurricane6.. I've been working on these, but haven't been posting up the reviews... Let's see if we can spank another one out of the park, this time #1.

Stick #1 is a svelte 5 1/2 x 42 corona, which is a size I'm totally digging as of late...
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895806_0.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895806_1.jpg

A bunch of the sticks I got from Hurricane6 seem to have very similar, deep reddish brown wrappers... So, again, we're dealing with some sort of sun-grown or colorado wrapper
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895806_2.jpg

Foot showed some irregular bunches in places, but nothing to be overly concerned about.
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895806_3.jpg

One more glamour shot, then we're off
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895806_4.jpg

This one seemed to burn very well, and gave off an initial medium to full bodied flavor to it. Ash was nice and dark on this one. The burn was solid, requiring few touch-ups...
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895806_5.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895806_6.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895806_7.jpg

As far as the vitola, I found the stick damn near perfect in every way... I'm really digging the corona size for my every day smoking pleasure.

The wrapper and construction were a bit rougher on this stick than the previous one I reviewed (stick #5).

For some reason, this one reminded me of an Esteban Carerra, which is one of my favorite value sticks out there and is sadly headed out to close-out land.

So, am I anywhere close, Hurricane6? What did I just smoke?

BlackIrish
09-18-2008, 09:43 PM
I am sure that I will enjoy the next two more! You know what is wierd, is that I was thinking that this probably isn't a cheap cigar. The construction and burn on it were perfect! My wife and I were working in the garage and there were times where I wouldn't touch it for 10 minutes or so, and when I picked it up, it still had huge volumes of smoke without having to kill my self to get it going again.
I just didn't enjoy the aftertaste. If it wasn't for the flavor, it would have been an enjoyable smoke!:confused:

Yeah, I'm with you: it's well made, with excellent construction and burn. It just doesn't taste so good. It's funny, because I often write reviews that say "this cigar tasted great; burn wasn't so even, and it started to unravel on me, but I stayed with it because of the flavor." This one is more like: "beautiful to look at, with a straightedge burn, but putting it in my mouth ruined the experience."

LOL!

tedrodgerscpa
09-18-2008, 09:44 PM
And another one bites the dust... this time Hurricane6's stick #3

And now we're dealing with a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG and slender lancero... I tried to capture the length in one shot, but had to break it up into two photos!!! Looking to be 7.5 X 40 or so....

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895837_0.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895837_1.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895837_2.jpg

This stick has quite a cool construction, and I tried my best to get a great shot of the cap but it never came out right. It almost had a pig-tail or nipple at the top, kind of a cross between the Tat Black and a CC Trinidad. I really wish the picture would have done it more justice, because this one looks like an over-exposed, inverted nipple.
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895837_3.jpg

Foot looked very nice
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895837_4.jpg

It clipped without effort, and we were off to the races.... I'm gonna let the smoking pics speak for themselves.
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895837_5.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895837_6.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895837_7.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895837_8.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895837_9.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1895837_10.jpg

This cigar was incredibly complex and wonderfully constructed. I get the funny feeling that this woudl be a special occasion cigar, not an every day burner. The flavors were medium to full, and reminded me of a LFD or Pepin influenced product.

My guess is that this is a premium stick that I'd love to have a few lying around for special occasions. If it were a budget stick (which I dont' think it is), I'd list the entire contents of my vino in the WTS section so I could fill it up with boxes and boxes of these.

A very very very special smoke, and one I'm DYING to get more of.

Please, hurricane6, please tell me what I just smoked!

ChasDen
09-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Sorry Ted for not finishing up my end with 4WheelVFR.
I have 2 left and will try to knock them out this weekend.

After that I will offer up :tu

Chas

_mo
09-18-2008, 09:56 PM
PM sent to IR_13 asking him to "offer up"

PM also sent walley as I'm the next up on the offering list

:tu

tedrodgerscpa
09-18-2008, 10:06 PM
PM sent to IR_13 asking him to "offer up"

PM also sent walley as I'm the next up on the offering list

Technically, you just have to PM ir13 for his sticks... you don't have to ask him to "offer up", as he already is

The 'offering up list' is going to empty soon. Let's make with the filling it back up!

ChasDen
09-18-2008, 10:40 PM
The 'offering up list' is going to empty soon. Let's make with the filling it back up!

Ted,

Just add me to the offering up list now then :tu

Chas

Gophernut
09-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Ted,

Just add me to the offering up list now then :tu

Chas
Me too! I am offering up also!

Gophernut
09-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Well, I am having trouble trying to insert pictures into my post, so I'll just go ahead and attach them as thumbnails. Anyone care to help???
I smoked cigar 'C' tonight. A great looking smoke. Took it outside with my beverage of choice, and all was righ with the world.
Clipped the cap and the pre-light draw was ok, a little tighter than I like, but very managable.
Toasted it up, and the first taste was one of some good spice, again I would somewhat peppery. The draw was in fact a little tight. This cigar was very tasty from the start, but not producing much smoke. I was getting a good sense of pepper, and some earthy tones.
The 2/3 the draw was getting a little too tight, so I went ahead ahead and used my new found draw tool. The pointy end of a fishing bobber that I found in my fishing tackle cabinet. The draw improved dramatically and now this cigar was producing a huge amount of smoke. The flavor remained the same pretty much throughout this whole cigar. The last 1/3 was very good, although the flavor didn't change. The burn was perfect. Razor sharp.
Overall: 8.5-9/10.
An excellent cigar. Very tasty, just a bit one dimensional. But, the fact that the flavor didn't change is fine with me. It was a very tasty flavor throughout.
Thanks again BlackIrish!

tedrodgerscpa
09-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Well, I am having trouble trying to insert pictures into my post, so I'll just go ahead and attach them as thumbnails. Anyone care to help???

Easy way to do it is to use photobucket or some other photo hosting website (photobucket is my preference)

You will then use the icon with a mountain and sun when you post your pics... it's up in the toolbar when you , second line

PM me if that doesn't help

hurricane6
09-19-2008, 12:17 AM
O.K., so I've been knocking out the sticks that hurricane6 has sent me, so here are some reviews.

Let's start with the first one I smoked, which was #5

Based on my CS ring gauge guide, this is a 7 X 48 churchill size cigar that demanded a huge time commitment. I carved out the best part of a Friday night with my smoking buddy (Zeke the Chow/Lab mix) and took some shots prelight.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896245_0.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896245_1.jpg

Nothing particularly fancy about the cap or foot on this one

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896245_2.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896245_3.jpg

The wrapper had a deep reddish brown coloring to it. Colorado, maybe?

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896245_4.jpg

Out to the porch, with a quick clip from the Palio, and we're off.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896245_5.jpg

Burn on this stick was nice, and the ash as white as snow. It gave off a very strong, but one-dimensional flavor throughout the stick.

I'd classify this as medium to full, but one dimensional.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896245_6.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896245_7.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896245_8.jpg

Took it down to the nub just to see if the flavor or intensity changed, but alas, it never quite did.

All in all, this is a decent smoke, but one that I'm not sure I'd pay a bunch of money for... Because it's a long stick and rather forgiving, I'd say it would be totally appropriate for a day on the lake or 18 holes (either of which on a full stomach)

I was nervous that this might have been an Ashton ESG based on appearance and construction... I'm not a huge fan of the ESG because I find it one-dimensional, which this smoke certainly was for me.... here's hoping it's NOT

Well, hurricane6, what did I just smoke?

I like this one while mowing the yard. To me it's slightly sweet, but like you said pretty one dimensional. That was a RP Diesel. I bought these in the WTS forums for a GREAT price!! I don't know where to get them or for what they cost.

hurricane6
09-19-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm tellin' ya, hurricane6.. I've been working on these, but haven't been posting up the reviews... Let's see if we can spank another one out of the park, this time #1.

Stick #1 is a svelte 5 1/2 x 42 corona, which is a size I'm totally digging as of late...
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896249_0.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896249_1.jpg

A bunch of the sticks I got from Hurricane6 seem to have very similar, deep reddish brown wrappers... So, again, we're dealing with some sort of sun-grown or colorado wrapper
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896249_2.jpg

Foot showed some irregular bunches in places, but nothing to be overly concerned about.
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896249_3.jpg

One more glamour shot, then we're off
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896249_4.jpg

This one seemed to burn very well, and gave off an initial medium to full bodied flavor to it. Ash was nice and dark on this one. The burn was solid, requiring few touch-ups...
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896249_5.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896249_6.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896249_7.jpg

As far as the vitola, I found the stick damn near perfect in every way... I'm really digging the corona size for my every day smoking pleasure.

The wrapper and construction were a bit rougher on this stick than the previous one I reviewed (stick #5).

For some reason, this one reminded me of an Esteban Carerra, which is one of my favorite value sticks out there and is sadly headed out to close-out land.

So, am I anywhere close, Hurricane6? What did I just smoke?

I picked up a handful of these based on some reviews including my B&M, the first one I smoked didn't really hit me to well, but I let them rest and they are kinda growing on me. The size is perfect for me as well. That was an Alex Bradley Tempus. I've nevr had a Esteban Carerra so I can't compare the 2.

hurricane6
09-19-2008, 12:26 AM
And another one bites the dust... this time Hurricane6's stick #3

And now we're dealing with a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG and slender lancero... I tried to capture the length in one shot, but had to break it up into two photos!!! Looking to be 7.5 X 40 or so....

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896255_0.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896255_1.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896255_2.jpg

This stick has quite a cool construction, and I tried my best to get a great shot of the cap but it never came out right. It almost had a pig-tail or nipple at the top, kind of a cross between the Tat Black and a CC Trinidad. I really wish the picture would have done it more justice, because this one looks like an over-exposed, inverted nipple.
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896255_3.jpg

Foot looked very nice
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896255_4.jpg

It clipped without effort, and we were off to the races.... I'm gonna let the smoking pics speak for themselves.
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896255_5.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896255_6.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896255_7.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896255_8.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896255_9.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/18/p_1896255_10.jpg

This cigar was incredibly complex and wonderfully constructed. I get the funny feeling that this woudl be a special occasion cigar, not an every day burner. The flavors were medium to full, and reminded me of a LFD or Pepin influenced product.

My guess is that this is a premium stick that I'd love to have a few lying around for special occasions. If it were a budget stick (which I dont' think it is), I'd list the entire contents of my vino in the WTS section so I could fill it up with boxes and boxes of these.

A very very very special smoke, and one I'm DYING to get more of.

Please, hurricane6, please tell me what I just smoked!

This is one I've come to really enjoy the more I smoke them(which is quite often lately) It had alot more to offer than I had originally expected. Definitely a Pepin product-that was a Cubao #3. Nice pic reviews!!!!:tu

Mr. Ed
09-19-2008, 01:39 AM
This was cigar 2 from Marcus (Beer Doctor)

[/URL]

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/19/p_1896343_1.jpg (http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn0954dz3.jpg)

(http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn0956os0.jpg)

[URL=http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn0959ab8.jpg]http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/19/p_1896343_5.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn0958ly3.jpg)

Initial Impressions: This was a maduro wrapped cigar that had a very supple wrapper that had a nice oily sheen and only one small blemish. The stick felt firm to the touch and well rolled.

Smoking: Excellent construction. Excellent burn and draw. No issues with the wrapper unraveling or cracking. No overheating.

Taste: This was a medium-full bodied cigar that was 100% smooth the whole way through. The flavor started out with a rich tobacco taste that was sweet and ha some spice to it. The finish was full and sweet and stayed on the palate for a long time. The taste then changed to a "wood"-like taste with even more sweetness to it. The finish became even more full and was very pleasant. Some minor complexity here and there, but not enough to make a call on what it tasted like. Nice spice throughout. Very pleasant aroma.

Conclusion: Great cigar. I liked this better than the CAO Gold Maduro I had last time. Great construction, great taste. This was a very pleasant smoking experience.

BlackIrish
09-19-2008, 10:23 AM
I smoked cigar 'C' tonight. A great looking smoke. Took it outside with my beverage of choice, and all was righ with the world.
Clipped the cap and the pre-light draw was ok, a little tighter than I like, but very managable.
Toasted it up, and the first taste was one of some good spice, again I would somewhat peppery. The draw was in fact a little tight. This cigar was very tasty from the start, but not producing much smoke. I was getting a good sense of pepper, and some earthy tones.
The 2/3 the draw was getting a little too tight, so I went ahead ahead and used my new found draw tool. The pointy end of a fishing bobber that I found in my fishing tackle cabinet. The draw improved dramatically and now this cigar was producing a huge amount of smoke. The flavor remained the same pretty much throughout this whole cigar. The last 1/3 was very good, although the flavor didn't change. The burn was perfect. Razor sharp.
Overall: 8.5-9/10.
An excellent cigar. Very tasty, just a bit one dimensional. But, the fact that the flavor didn't change is fine with me. It was a very tasty flavor throughout.
Thanks again BlackIrish!

That was a La Aurora maduro robusto (regular La Aurora, not one of the fancy kinds). I think your review is dead on. Good flavor throughout, but not very dynamic. What's interesting to me is that it doesn't look or taste very maduro -- more earth, leather, and spice than sweet choco/coffee flavors. But that's what it is.

Glad you enjoyed it.

BlackIrish

ir13
09-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Tedster,

_mo and I are in trade.

That is all. :D

Beer Doctor
09-19-2008, 11:36 AM
This was cigar 2 from Marcus (Beer Doctor)

[/URL]

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/19/p_1896812_1.jpg (http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn0954dz3.jpg)

(http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn0956os0.jpg)

[URL="http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn0959ab8.jpg"]http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/19/p_1896812_5.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn0958ly3.jpg)

Initial Impressions: This was a maduro wrapped cigar that had a very supple wrapper that had a nice oily sheen and only one small blemish. The stick felt firm to the touch and well rolled.

Smoking: Excellent construction. Excellent burn and draw. No issues with the wrapper unraveling or cracking. No overheating.

Taste: This was a medium-full bodied cigar that was 100% smooth the whole way through. The flavor started out with a rich tobacco taste that was sweet and ha some spice to it. The finish was full and sweet and stayed on the palate for a long time. The taste then changed to a "wood"-like taste with even more sweetness to it. The finish became even more full and was very pleasant. Some minor complexity here and there, but not enough to make a call on what it tasted like. Nice spice throughout. Very pleasant aroma.

Conclusion: Great cigar. I liked this better than the CAO Gold Maduro I had last time. Great construction, great taste. This was a very pleasant smoking experience.

Do you have a guess or do you want me to tell you?

tedrodgerscpa
09-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
ir13-->MysticalMan
jjirons69-->redrockeyes
ir13-->_mo

Offering Up
_mo
ChasDen
Gophernut

Waiting List
walleyedad1
BD Strummer

Mr. Ed
09-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Do you have a guess or do you want me to tell you?
No idea...:ss

_mo
09-19-2008, 04:31 PM
I recieved a PM from walleyed and will be sending him some sticks to taste.

Beer Doctor
09-19-2008, 04:43 PM
No idea...:ss
You my friend smoked a Rocky Patel vintage 1992 churchill. It definitely is a "sweet" cigar with some nice spice. I bought a 5er of the churchill and the robusto last year on cbid. They were my go to smoke for awhile. Glad you liked it:tu

Mr. Ed
09-19-2008, 06:44 PM
You my friend smoked a Rocky Patel vintage 1992 churchill. It definitely is a "sweet" cigar with some nice spice. I bought a 5er of the churchill and the robusto last year on cbid. They were my go to smoke for awhile. Glad you liked it
Wow, thanks for that. The only RP I've ever cared for was the sun grown, otherwise I could have cared less. This was a very nice cigar, thanks. :tu

tedrodgerscpa
09-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
ir13-->MysticalMan
jjirons69-->redrockeyes
ir13-->_mo
_mo-->walleyedad1

Offering Up
ChasDen
Gophernut

Waiting List
BD Strummer

BlackIrish
09-20-2008, 12:28 PM
I returned from a business trip to find a beautiful but deadly anti-personnel device awaiting me, courtesy of Mr. Rodgers. Thanks, Ted! They look deee-licious.

I'm not going to get a chance to smoke today, sadly, but I'm looking forward to tucking into these treats tomorrow. My reviews will follow.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/20/p_1898726_0.gif

BlackIrish

Gophernut
09-20-2008, 03:14 PM
It is a beautiful day here in Wisconsin, so I thought I would smoke the final cigar from this Blind taste test PIF. Cigar 'D' is a great looking cigar. It's around a 6x54 size cigar and has just a few veins, but all in all a beautiful cigar.
I clip the cap and the pre-light draw is perfect with some spice to the flavor, but not overwhelming.
I toast the foot and the first draw is perfect. There is a lot of smoke coming out of this sucker. The flavor is a medium bodied cigar with some hints of pepper and some leather.
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/20/p_1898941_0.jpg

This is a wonderful cigar with lots of flavor. The taste became a little stronger in the final third and even though I wanted to nub this cigar it got a little hot.
This cigar reminded me of the only Tatuaje that I have smoked, and would love to smoke some more.
Appearance: 10/10
Construction 8/10 just because of the fact that it got hot at the end.

I would like to thank BlackIrish for the great (3 out of four :D aint bad) smokes. This has been fun and look forward to doing this again soon!

Thanks,
Gophernut

hurricane6
09-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Here's 2 reviews from David's(biglizard) BTT
B
about 5 1/2x 50-rough lookin' stick. there were some soft spots where it seems the filler was not quite 'filled'. I punched and pre lit draw was an odd grassy sweetness. At this point I assumed this to be the low end cigar. After the first puff, I was greeted with an earthy taste and a mildly spicey undertone. The burn started off even , but didn't stay that way long. I never touched it up and it corrected itself just past halfway. the ash was initially white, but became gray and flakey. the first third was slightly sweet with a short spicey finish, then developed into a mellow earthy -grassy-hay taste with a very dry finish. At about the last 2" I picked up a dish soap taste and decided that was all I was gonna smoke. If I had to guess-maybe a bundle smoke or a local B&M brand?? I really have no clue.
Thanks David!:tu

C
This one was a 6 x 50 or 52 very solid and well consructed stick. it felt 'heavy' in my hand. I used my Palio and it had a semi tight draw. I toasted, lit and let it sit for a few minutes. First puffs were very odd-almost an earthy organic taste-not good or bad just kinda took me by surprise. Slightly spicey thru the nose. After about an inch or so the flavor changed and became a mildly sweet cedary taste with some good spice-not heavy, but well balanced. the first third reminded me of a cigar I've had before, just not recently, but it still had a very distinct undertone that I could not describe or place. at about halfway I started picking up some woody notes along with what I would describe as semi sweet cocoa and a bit of spice. At this point it has become a very balanced and enjoyable cigar. But I still can pick up on that distinct undertone and it's driving me nuts not being able to pinpoint what it is. The ash was a salt and pepper color and solid. Burn was great thru out. About the last 2" it started to pick up a bitter taste and I put it down not wanting to ruin the experience.
Overall-a nice solid cigar-mildly complex with some good and interesting flavors. Again, this one made me think I've had it before-except for that taste I could not make out. I would venture to guess this was a Hoyo de Monterrey of some sort.
Thanks again David!!!:tu:tu

walleyedad1
09-20-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm in for offewring -up I think it would be ChasDen, if correct

ChasDen
09-20-2008, 09:56 PM

If your looking to offer cigars for someone to taste, simply ask Ted to place you on the offering up list.
I still have a few to finish from my last bunch so I need to finish up those first.

I will let Ted clarify the process but I believe it is up to the next person on the waiting list to contact the next person on the offering up list.

Is that correct Ted?

Chas

walleyedad1
09-20-2008, 10:00 PM
will do, Ted will you put me on the offering-up list thanks

tedrodgerscpa
09-21-2008, 01:33 AM

If your looking to offer cigars for someone to taste, simply ask Ted to place you on the offering up list.
I still have a few to finish from my last bunch so I need to finish up those first.

I will let Ted clarify the process but I believe it is up to the next person on the waiting list to contact the next person on the offering up list.

Is that correct Ted?

Chas

Yes, that's correct... ChasDen is offering up. The only person waiting to get sticks is BD Strummer... It's up to him to PM ChasDen

will do, Ted will you put me on the offering-up list thanks

Will do.

tedrodgerscpa
09-21-2008, 01:35 AM
Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
BlackIrish-->GopherNut--received--DONE
ir13-->MysticalMan
jjirons69-->redrockeyes
ir13-->_mo
_mo-->walleyedad1

Offering Up
ChasDen
Gophernut
walleyedad1

Waiting List
BD Strummer

BlackIrish
09-21-2008, 01:15 PM
It is a beautiful day here in Wisconsin, so I thought I would smoke the final cigar from this Blind taste test PIF. Cigar 'D' is a great looking cigar. It's around a 6x54 size cigar and has just a few veins, but all in all a beautiful cigar.
I clip the cap and the pre-light draw is perfect with some spice to the flavor, but not overwhelming.
I toast the foot and the first draw is perfect. There is a lot of smoke coming out of this sucker. The flavor is a medium bodied cigar with some hints of pepper and some leather.

This is a wonderful cigar with lots of flavor. The taste became a little stronger in the final third and even though I wanted to nub this cigar it got a little hot.
This cigar reminded me of the only Tatuaje that I have smoked, and would love to smoke some more.
Appearance: 10/10
Construction 8/10 just because of the fact that it got hot at the end.

I would like to thank BlackIrish for the great (3 out of four :D aint bad) smokes. This has been fun and look forward to doing this again soon!

Thanks,
Gophernut

That was a Perdomo Reserve Sungrown Epicure. It's a fine smoke. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

BlackIrish

Padron42
09-21-2008, 02:07 PM
This was a lot of fun the first time through, I'm down for another one. Ted, can you put me on both lists? And do I PM ChasDen or Gophernut now since I'm second on the waiting list?

jjirons69
09-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Redrockeyes, smokes ship Monday morning.

DC# 0103 8555 7495 0155 7703

tedrodgerscpa
09-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
ir13-->MysticalMan
jjirons69-->redrockeyes
ir13-->_mo
_mo-->walleyedad1

Offering Up
ChasDen
Gophernut
walleyedad1
Padron42

Waiting List
BD Strummer
Padron42

tedrodgerscpa
09-22-2008, 01:14 AM
This was a lot of fun the first time through, I'm down for another one. Ted, can you put me on both lists? And do I PM ChasDen or Gophernut now since I'm second on the waiting list?

Padron,

BD Strummer is currently in line to PM the first person offering up, which is ChasDen.

Let's give him a few more days to do so...

If you don't want to wait for ChasDen, you can always PM Gophernut now! No need to wait.

Hope that makes sense.

Ted

Padron42
09-22-2008, 02:39 AM
Alright thanks, I sent a PM to gophernut.

Gophernut
09-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Alright thanks, I sent a PM to gophernut.
PM Received. I'll get them out asap.

BD Strummer
09-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Padron,

BD Strummer is currently in line to PM the first person offering up, which is ChasDen.

Let's give him a few more days to do so...

If you don't want to wait for ChasDen, you can always PM Gophernut now! No need to wait.

Hope that makes sense.

Ted

A PM has been sent to ChasDen. Sorry for holding up the line.

Mr. Ed
09-22-2008, 03:55 PM
This is a review of cigar # 5 from Marcus (Beer Doctor)

Intial Impressions: This was a robusto sized maduro wrapped cigar. Very nice overall appearance with an extra dark wrapper and no blemishes. Felt nice and firm to the touch. A fairly strong aroma came off of this cigar before lighting.

Smoking: Excellent draw on this cigar from start to finsh. The burn was only issue and became uneven at spots, but after ashing purging and resting I was able to get it fairly even. No wrapper issues with unraveling or cracking. It burned cool the whole way through and never got too hot. Very good construction on this cigar minus the burn problems.

Taste: This was a medium-bodied cigar that had some harshness to it. It began with a medium tobacco flavor that had some sweetness to it, but was fairly bland besides that. The finish was mild and did not stay on the palate too long. The cigar then began to have a harsh and unpleasant sort of flavor come and go for the rest of the smoke. In bewteen I could still taste a sweet like tobacco flavor and even a "coffee"-like flavor here and there. The finish became medium, but still tasted somewhat bland and later on began to be unpleasant. Mild aroma came off of this cigar.

Conclusion: This was a good cigar in terms of construction, but sub-par in terms of taste. It had some promising tastes that came and went, but was way too harsh and unpleasant at some spots while smoking for me to say that I would like it. Definetly got a sense of the maduro wrapper while smoking as well.

Padron42
09-22-2008, 05:56 PM
PM Received. I'll get them out asap.

Great, thanks...I'm lookin forward to em.

ChasDen
09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
A PM has been sent to ChasDen. Sorry for holding up the line.

Give me a day or two to dig through the boxes and find a nice variety of gars and I will post a DC#.

Chas

Beer Doctor
09-22-2008, 10:48 PM
This is a review of cigar # 5 from Marcus (Beer Doctor)

Intial Impressions: This was a robusto sized maduro wrapped cigar. Very nice overall appearance with an extra dark wrapper and no blemishes. Felt nice and firm to the touch. A fairly strong aroma came off of this cigar before lighting.

Smoking: Excellent draw on this cigar from start to finsh. The burn was only issue and became uneven at spots, but after ashing purging and resting I was able to get it fairly even. No wrapper issues with unraveling or cracking. It burned cool the whole way through and never got too hot. Very good construction on this cigar minus the burn problems.

Taste: This was a medium-bodied cigar that had some harshness to it. It began with a medium tobacco flavor that had some sweetness to it, but was fairly bland besides that. The finish was mild and did not stay on the palate too long. The cigar then began to have a harsh and unpleasant sort of flavor come and go for the rest of the smoke. In bewteen I could still taste a sweet like tobacco flavor and even a "coffee"-like flavor here and there. The finish became medium, but still tasted somewhat bland and later on began to be unpleasant. Mild aroma came off of this cigar.

Conclusion: This was a good cigar in terms of construction, but sub-par in terms of taste. It had some promising tastes that came and went, but was way too harsh and unpleasant at some spots while smoking for me to say that I would like it. Definetly got a sense of the maduro wrapper while smoking as well.

That was a Partagas Black. I have never tasted the harshness. Maybe you got a dud:confused:. I'll be smoking another of yours sometime this week.

Mr. Ed
09-23-2008, 12:07 AM
That was a Partagas Black. I have never tasted the harshness. Maybe you got a dud:confused:. I'll be smoking another of yours sometime this week.
I don't know. I guess the taste just didn't jive with me. It had some good taste here and there, but some harshness and unpleasant taste kept coming back.

I think I will be getting a fiver of RP Vintage 92 Churchills though.

BlackIrish
09-23-2008, 01:10 AM
I smoked the first of TedRodgersCPAs sample of 5. I started with cigar #4. I'm on a business trip and don't have my camera with me, so I apologize for the lack of photos.

Prelight: This cigar looked to be about 6x48, with a somewhat veiny, colorado wrapper, medium brown with some orange-ish hues, leathery with a nice sheen. From the looks of it, I'm guessing it's a sungrown wrapper. It was will filled, very firm. Aromas of wood, sweetness, caramel. The cap was applied a little bit sloppily. When I sliced it, I got a great cold draw and definite sweetness and spice.

Burn: The burn was excellent, straight with only the occasional wobble that self-corrected. Light gray ash was firm. Voluminous smoke. Smoking time was about 1.5 hours.

Taste: I got a little pepper upon lighting, but it smoothed out quickly. Flavors of leather, earth, and some cedar layered over a background of sweetness and some baking spice (this has to be a sungrown wrapper). Nicely balanced, pleasant flavors. Medium bodied, with a clean finish.

The flavor stayed pretty steady throughout the smoke, though it became a bit stronger in the second half. About halfway through the cigar I began to detect some other flavor notes: some nuttiness, maybe vanilla, maybe almond. It wasn't super-complex, more steady but tasty, and it stayed that way all the way to the nub. It got a bit hot in the last inch or so, and I knew that time was up.

I enjoyed this cigar. It's a well-made, flavorful smoke, not stellar, but straightforward, tasty, honest smoke.

So what did I smoke, Ted?

BlackIrish

BD Strummer
09-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Give me a day or two to dig through the boxes and find a nice variety of gars and I will post a DC#.

Chas

Sounds good. :tu

tedrodgerscpa
09-23-2008, 04:14 PM
I smoked the first of TedRodgersCPAs sample of 5. I started with cigar #4.

I enjoyed this cigar. It's a well-made, flavorful smoke, not stellar, but straightforward, tasty, honest smoke.

So what did I smoke, Ted?

BlackIrish

Sir,

you just smoked a new blend of an old standby NC, the Hoyo De Monterey Excalibur Legend Crusader.

I've only started toying around with this blend, and find it exactly as you described. Sells for around $6 at my local B&M, which means that it's probably a bit cheaper online.

"straightforward" is an EXCELLENT adjective to describe this one, and I enjoyed the review.

1 down, 4 to go!

MysticalMan
09-24-2008, 01:34 PM
I received 5 very nice looking smokes from ir13 on monday.

I didnt think I would be able to sneak a smoke in until Thursday, but the wifes gone, baby is asleep and I dont have to be to work untill 2pm so here goes cigar #1!.

It is a nice dark cigar not real big so will make for a nice 1 hour smoke or so.

Clipped the end and this has a real nice draw I didnt taste much, but it did have a slightly salty taste to it. I was a bit worried about the draw since it was very very firm no soft spots and really smoth with no noticible veins.

I torched it until it had a nice glow and drew in my first taste. It was very very strong, not really harsh but super strong it almost nocked me on my a$$.

After the first couple of puffs it seamed to mellow out alot and I started to pick up a slight sweet and spicy taste to it. This cigar produced an intoxicating amount of smoke which I love!

With the first 1/3 of the cigar the sweetness continued, the spicyness kind of went away and I could pick up hints of leather and cedar.

Halfway through things started to get a bit spicy and I sarted to pick up notes of chocolate, still smoking very smooth and very strong.

The last third stayed smooth, it did start to pick up a bit more spice and the N buzz started to hit.

So ir13 what did I just smoke?

All in all I think I would smoke another one of these.

To give you a bit of background, I quite smoking cigarette's about 3 weeks ago so I could start to enjoy cigars more. My palette still is a bit screwed up so I can not really taste the fine details but it is starting to get better.

BlackIrish
09-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Good evening, gorillas. After spending 11 hours in a conference room with clients, I needed some time to decompress, so I selected cigar #3 from TedRodgersCPA and headed out by the pool to fire it up. I'm still down in south Florida on my business trip, so I don't have any pics to share.

Prelight: Wrapped in a dark, somewhat rustic looking wrapper (maduro, I'd say, rather than dark natural), this lonsdale isn't the prettiest stick in the package, but it looked oily and flavorful, and the size appealed to me. It had a nice aroma that hinted at cocoa and spice, hints that were stronger on the cold draw. The construction seemed perfect: firm to the touch, nicely rolled, easy to slice, and offering an excellent draw.

Burn: Easy to light, this cigar burned perfectly from foot to nub, without even a bit of wobble. The medium gray ash held firmly. First class construction.

Taste: I was greeted by some pepper at the start, chili pepper rather than black pepper, and more on the back of my tongue than up front. As the cigar began to warm and settled into its groove, the predominant flavors were leather, dark tobacco, bitter chocolate, and black coffee. The smoke was medium in body, with the flavors right up front; there wasn't much roundness or depth to it, and the finish was on the short side. There were some suggestions of sweetness, but they were only suggestions, never really coming to the fore. And as the smoke progressed, I got more of a bitter flavor -- not an unpleasant bitterness, but the kind of bitterness that marks very dark chocolate, black coffee, and dark beer. The bitter character grew stronger in the second half of the cigar, occasionally balanced by leather and wood, but the sweetness that I detected in the first half became harder to find. Given the smaller ring gauge, I made a point of drawing easily, sipping the smoke to keep it from burning too hot. By the last inch and a half, though, it was hard to keep it cool.

This was a very well-made cigar, with a lot of flavor, just a bit one-dimensional. The flavor profile reminded me of a lower-priced Padron, like a Londres, but it didn't have the same richness, roundness, and complexity to it. I'm guessing that this was a Nicaraguan cigar, but beyond that I'm not sure what it was.

That was your cue, Ted: what did I smoke?

BlackIrish

Biglizard1
09-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Here's 2 reviews from David's(biglizard) BTT
B
about 5 1/2x 50-rough lookin' stick. there were some soft spots where it seems the filler was not quite 'filled'. I punched and pre lit draw was an odd grassy sweetness. At this point I assumed this to be the low end cigar. After the first puff, I was greeted with an earthy taste and a mildly spicey undertone. The burn started off even , but didn't stay that way long. I never touched it up and it corrected itself just past halfway. the ash was initially white, but became gray and flakey. the first third was slightly sweet with a short spicey finish, then developed into a mellow earthy -grassy-hay taste with a very dry finish. At about the last 2" I picked up a dish soap taste and decided that was all I was gonna smoke. If I had to guess-maybe a bundle smoke or a local B&M brand?? I really have no clue.
Thanks David!:tu

This one was a Padron 3K if the size matches. I know it was a Padron xooo series. Notice some of the same flavor tastes too. Wondered if it was just me? Guess not.

C
This one was a 6 x 50 or 52 very solid and well consructed stick. it felt 'heavy' in my hand. I used my Palio and it had a semi tight draw. I toasted, lit and let it sit for a few minutes. First puffs were very odd-almost an earthy organic taste-not good or bad just kinda took me by surprise. Slightly spicey thru the nose. After about an inch or so the flavor changed and became a mildly sweet cedary taste with some good spice-not heavy, but well balanced. the first third reminded me of a cigar I've had before, just not recently, but it still had a very distinct undertone that I could not describe or place. at about halfway I started picking up some woody notes along with what I would describe as semi sweet cocoa and a bit of spice. At this point it has become a very balanced and enjoyable cigar. But I still can pick up on that distinct undertone and it's driving me nuts not being able to pinpoint what it is. The ash was a salt and pepper color and solid. Burn was great thru out. About the last 2" it started to pick up a bitter taste and I put it down not wanting to ruin the experience.
Overall-a nice solid cigar-mildly complex with some good and interesting flavors. Again, this one made me think I've had it before-except for that taste I could not make out. I would venture to guess this was a Hoyo de Monterrey of some sort.
Thanks again David!!!:tu:tu[/quote]

Ive noticed the similar end of cigar blues with this stick however it is always a great smoke in my humi. I should just buy a dang box but I am too cheap. Got a friend hooked on em and now every time we share he wants one of the Perdomos... Lot 23.:D

tedrodgerscpa
09-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Good evening, gorillas. After spending 11 hours in a conference room with clients, I needed some time to decompress, so I selected cigar #3 from TedRodgersCPA and headed out by the pool to fire it up. I'm still down in south Florida on my business trip, so I don't have any pics to share.

This was a very well-made cigar, with a lot of flavor, just a bit one-dimensional. The flavor profile reminded me of a lower-priced Padron, like a Londres, but it didn't have the same richness, roundness, and complexity to it. I'm guessing that this was a Nicaraguan cigar, but beyond that I'm not sure what it was.

That was your cue, Ted: what did I smoke?

BlackIrish

Would you believe me if I told you a Padron Londres Maduro?

Home run, pal. Home-friggin-run!

jjirons69
09-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Padron Londres Maduro....yummmm.

Great job, BI!!

BlackIrish
09-25-2008, 12:04 AM
Would you believe me if I told you a Padron Londres Maduro?

Home run, pal. Home-friggin-run!

Cool!

I think too much time on planes and in overly air-conditioned Florida conference rooms is making my allergies act up, which may account for why this didn't taste as yummy as Londres usually do.

BlackIrish

Gophernut
09-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Great, thanks...I'm lookin forward to em.
On there way! DC# 0304 1560 0002 4113 2925

redrockeyes
09-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Received my cigars form jjrons69 last night. Wow they looked good and there was even a bonus one in there.:ss I chose #3 which was a smaller size maybe a 42-44 rg. .I will try to get the pics in here have been having trouble uploading.
Appearance: nice looking smoke,good cap and nice foot. noticed 1 small vein running the length but did not feel any knots or blocks.

Pre-Light : draw was a tad tight but the flavor was one of tobacco and licorice.So far so good.

First 1/3: Started with a leather taste with hints of spice.Good smoke. As I smoked it down it had an aftertaste of green beans. I know it sounds strange but thats what came to mind. It wasn't unpleasant but not great .

Second 1/3: Ash held good but was dark not white like I am used to seeing. Flavor didn't change much at all.Every once in a while there would be a hint of coco or fruit but it didn't last more than 1-2 draws. Started to become disappointed but hung in there.Again the taste wasn't bad but not great either.

Last 1/3: Flavor the same.No hints of anything but leather and green beans.Good smoke volume with this cigar.Burnt well and did not require any touch ups.

Overview:This was a good looking smoke that looked well constructed for the most part.Gave out good smoke and burnt well. It was very one dimensional all way the through. Not a bad tasting cigar but not a great one either.I would classify it as a yard-gar or quickie. If I had to venture a guess I would say something from the Vegas or RP line. I lean towards a Vegas cigar as that was the flavor I took away from the one I smoked.
Can't wait to try the others.

SO WHAT DID I SMOKE JJRONS?

redrockeyes
09-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Ok so after a somewhat forgetable smoke last night I took #1 out for a try. I had hiugh expectations until I examined closley.

Apperance: Rough looking.twisted type wrapper with lots of veins.Looked very sloppy.Felt very firm,almost hard. My first thought was CHEAP.

Pre-Light:Not bad flavors going on a little leather and nut mix.Not bad at all. Draw felt loose.

First 1/3:Burn was very nice.Lots of smoke. Leather and spice flavor but overpowering.

Second 1/3:Smoke is nice, burn is even.Ash is white and holding on nicely.Leather taste still there but now BAM pepper here we come.Strong pepper.Almost overwheleming but I am able to hang in there.

Third 1/3: All pepper all the time and it is tasting hot.Not at all pleasant.I hang in there until I can't take it anymore.I let this one go and hit the toothbrush and mouthwash.

Overview: This one looked bad and tasted bad from almost the start. Overpowering pepper with no real changes in flavor. That hot burn taste really turned me off on this one.

I must apologize for lack of pics, I know I like them when I read posts. I am in need of a new camera. Wife is going to get one soon so hopefully I can post pics with my reviews.

So what the heck was that thing I just smoked jjrons?

jjirons69
09-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Received my cigars form jjrons69 last night. Wow they looked good and there was even a bonus one in there.:ss I chose #3 which was a smaller size maybe a 42-44 rg. .I will try to get the pics in here have been having trouble uploading.
Appearance: nice looking smoke,good cap and nice foot. noticed 1 small vein running the length but did not feel any knots or blocks.

Pre-Light : draw was a tad tight but the flavor was one of tobacco and licorice.So far so good.

First 1/3: Started with a leather taste with hints of spice.Good smoke. As I smoked it down it had an aftertaste of green beans. I know it sounds strange but thats what came to mind. It wasn't unpleasant but not great .

Second 1/3: Ash held good but was dark not white like I am used to seeing. Flavor didn't change much at all.Every once in a while there would be a hint of coco or fruit but it didn't last more than 1-2 draws. Started to become disappointed but hung in there.Again the taste wasn't bad but not great either.

Last 1/3: Flavor the same.No hints of anything but leather and green beans.Good smoke volume with this cigar.Burnt well and did not require any touch ups.

Overview:This was a good looking smoke that looked well constructed for the most part.Gave out good smoke and burnt well. It was very one dimensional all way the through. Not a bad tasting cigar but not a great one either.I would classify it as a yard-gar or quickie. If I had to venture a guess I would say something from the Vegas or RP line. I lean towards a Vegas cigar as that was the flavor I took away from the one I smoked.
Can't wait to try the others.

SO WHAT DID I SMOKE JJRONS?

#3 was a Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label. Leather and Spice right on, not quite so one dimensional for me. Definitely no green beens. :tu

I know Ted will flutter at the thought of his beloved Pepin master picked as a yard gar. That's the thing with these BTTs, without the label to help guide you, it can be tricky.

jjirons69
09-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Ok so after a somewhat forgetable smoke last night I took #1 out for a try. I had hiugh expectations until I examined closley.

Apperance: Rough looking.twisted type wrapper with lots of veins.Looked very sloppy.Felt very firm,almost hard. My first thought was CHEAP.

Pre-Light:Not bad flavors going on a little leather and nut mix.Not bad at all. Draw felt loose.

First 1/3:Burn was very nice.Lots of smoke. Leather and spice flavor but overpowering.

Second 1/3:Smoke is nice, burn is even.Ash is white and holding on nicely.Leather taste still there but now BAM pepper here we come.Strong pepper.Almost overwheleming but I am able to hang in there.

Third 1/3: All pepper all the time and it is tasting hot.Not at all pleasant.I hang in there until I can't take it anymore.I let this one go and hit the toothbrush and mouthwash.

Overview: This one looked bad and tasted bad from almost the start. Overpowering pepper with no real changes in flavor. That hot burn taste really turned me off on this one.

I must apologize for lack of pics, I know I like them when I read posts. I am in need of a new camera. Wife is going to get one soon so hopefully I can post pics with my reviews.

So what the heck was that thing I just smoked jjrons?

#1 was a Rocky Patel Fusion. I like a lot of RPs, and the Fusion is a difficult one for me. Sometimes I like them, sometimes they're so-so. I think maybe this one got a little hot on you and gave you some bitterness and pepper near the end. RP is not known for his use of spicy or peppery blends. Good job so far, Todd. Boy, those labels would help, wouldn't they?

tedrodgerscpa
09-26-2008, 12:53 AM
I know Ted will flutter at the thought of his beloved Pepin master picked as a yard gar. That's the thing with these BTTs, without the label to help guide you, it can be tricky.

YARD GAR??? YARD GAR???

Truthfully, the only DPG that I dislike more than the blue label is the JJ natural.... but that's like saying I like Dominos less than Pizza Hut... Pizza is pizza, and pizza is goooooooooooooood

ir13
09-26-2008, 01:10 AM
I received 5 very nice looking smokes from ir13 on monday.

I didnt think I would be able to sneak a smoke in until Thursday, but the wifes gone, baby is asleep and I dont have to be to work untill 2pm so here goes cigar #1!.

It is a nice dark cigar not real big so will make for a nice 1 hour smoke or so.

Clipped the end and this has a real nice draw I didnt taste much, but it did have a slightly salty taste to it. I was a bit worried about the draw since it was very very firm no soft spots and really smoth with no noticible veins.

I torched it until it had a nice glow and drew in my first taste. It was very very strong, not really harsh but super strong it almost nocked me on my a$$.

After the first couple of puffs it seamed to mellow out alot and I started to pick up a slight sweet and spicy taste to it. This cigar produced an intoxicating amount of smoke which I love!

With the first 1/3 of the cigar the sweetness continued, the spicyness kind of went away and I could pick up hints of leather and cedar.

Halfway through things started to get a bit spicy and I sarted to pick up notes of chocolate, still smoking very smooth and very strong.

The last third stayed smooth, it did start to pick up a bit more spice and the N buzz started to hit.

So ir13 what did I just smoke?

All in all I think I would smoke another one of these.

To give you a bit of background, I quite smoking cigarette's about 3 weeks ago so I could start to enjoy cigars more. My palette still is a bit screwed up so I can not really taste the fine details but it is starting to get better.

You Just smoked a 5 Vegas "A" Great Cheaper Smoke when the rest for a few months to let the ammonia settle.

redrockeyes
09-26-2008, 03:31 PM
I love not having the labels. I have a DPG Blue label in the humi.Knowing that its not on my top list I will be trading it or giving it a buddy.The RP was a surprise for me as I have had the RP Vintage 1990 and found it enjoyable. The one I smoked for this blind PIF was just not to my liking at all. I would not buy one for my smoking preference. Again its awesome to not have labels to sway your tastes at all. Great way to learn about smokes. I still don't know whats up with the green bean aftertaste. I will burn another one this weekend and give feedback.
Its been a blast so far.

jjirons69
09-26-2008, 05:08 PM
New pic for DPG and his Blue label box!

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/09/26/p_1911108_0.jpg

walleyedad1
09-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Just got my sticks from the mail (Thanks MO) cant wait to try them. :tuI'll send reviews

hurricane6
09-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Cigar D from David(biglizard)
Roughly a 5 1/2 x 50 robusto. Maduro looking wrapper, nicely constructed.
I clipped it with my Palio and lit and let it sit. First inch was spicey and woodsy. It quickly mellowed and I picked up on a 'maduro like sweetness' along with some coffee notes. the burn was great and the ash held solid. The coffee and woodsy tastes dominated this smoke with an undertone of sweetness and just a touch of spice. This stick didn't change much, but was VERY consistent. although I would probably appreciate this stick first thing in the morning with my cup'o joe, I grew tired of smoking this one by the halfway point. I finished it down to about an 1 1/2". The consistency with this stick proved to be it's downfall, I was looking for something a little more complex at the time.
Overall-on any given morning this would be a good cigar. I just happened to pick the wrong time to smoke it.
My guess would be either a Monte Cristo media noche or 5 Vegas A.
Thanks David!! I'll have another review for you soon.

Biglizard1
09-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Mr. Ed,

I did have the pleasure of enjoying two more cigars from the list finally.

Cigar C,

All I can say is wow from the moment we met.

Beautiful reddish brown wrapper, tightly rolled tobacco visible from the foot. Dense construction all the way through with a little squeeze testing. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the wrapper was perfect, all the strips were exactly the same width, all the veins showed exact same size, almost as though they were triplets. Cap was perfectly attached and cut crisp with the Palio. Pre draw was smooth, free, and a slight sweetnes. NOt suggary just pleasant. This was further enhanced by perfect conditions in the shop for smoking. Toasted with the Ronson Jet-lite and proceeded to have a sample. Uh oh... this cigar is giong to be a lover, I had grand plans of doing some clean up and monitoring of this cigar, but no the flavor was overwhelmingly delicious and pulled me right in to the cigar. Smoke was the thickest I had seen in a long time and the ash stayed a crisp 2" before dropping. White as snow with some little black specks in the ash just a wonderment as I sat down and enjoyed the first three inches. This cigar held flavor profile all the way through. Never did get too hot, tried my darndest to not over pull on the cigar. I have been wrong before but I believe this may have been the premium smoke of the bunch, It was perfeclty constructed, flavors excellent, burn so even I could tell time with it. If this is a cheap cigar let me know, cause I will buy boxes of them, but I dont think that is the case. I enjoyed this stick for nearly 2 hours, nubbed to the very end and regretted letting it go. So what was I enjoying?

I dont think this cigar is an everyday smoker! Special times call for special cigars like this one!:ss

Stick D,

Now, this one I swear I've had before,May have even been my favorite I sorted through half my humi trying to find a twin, smell, prelight, draw, everything, I really think this was a Sungrown of some sort, peppery taste, smooth burn. Enjoyed this cigar and hope I am not far off the guess. Cigar burned even and had a little grey colored ash, nice spicey flavor through and burned to about the 2" mark before I let it go out.

Would defintaley have some of this in the Humi for another day. So what was this one?

Biglizard1
09-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Cigar D from David(biglizard)
Roughly a 5 1/2 x 50 robusto. Maduro looking wrapper, nicely constructed.
I clipped it with my Palio and lit and let it sit. First inch was spicey and woodsy. It quickly mellowed and I picked up on a 'maduro like sweetness' along with some coffee notes. the burn was great and the ash held solid. The coffee and woodsy tastes dominated this smoke with an undertone of sweetness and just a touch of spice. This stick didn't change much, but was VERY consistent. although I would probably appreciate this stick first thing in the morning with my cup'o joe, I grew tired of smoking this one by the halfway point. I finished it down to about an 1 1/2". The consistency with this stick proved to be it's downfall, I was looking for something a little more complex at the time.
Overall-on any given morning this would be a good cigar. I just happened to pick the wrong time to smoke it.
My guess would be either a Monte Cristo media noche or 5 Vegas A.
Thanks David!! I'll have another review for you soon.

I am almost sure that this was a 5 Vega Serie A!!!!:r
I will check my list tonight!

hurricane6
09-28-2008, 12:27 AM
These are the last 2 from David(biglizard)
A
This was a 4 1/2 x 48-50 perfecto. Good construction. Dark wrapper, but didn't seem dark enough to be a maduro. I punched, lit and sit. Initial puffs were sweet- like dominican- with a slight zest of woodsy. The first third stayed the same and the second third is where this one amped up. The zest became a nice spicey cedary/woody taste with the sweetness tapering off. The spicey continued to build-but not overpowering- with the other notes staying at the forefront. This was a great cigar!! I nubbed it till I couldn't hold it anymore.
OK, this is where it gets tricky-the only perfecto I've ever smoked have been AF Hemmingways(which I love) so the mind games started just by looking at it. This had some flavors that favored AF, but had some subtle differences. Since I don't have any Hemis in my humi I couldn't compare sizes, this one seemed to slightly differ in size than the Hemis I've smoked. I'm sure I could just do an internet search for the answer, but I'd rather be surprised. So David, was this an AF or was it a cheaper cigar with just as good a taste??!!
Thanks Bro!!

E
6x50-very well constructed with a slightly oily wrapper. I didn't picke up on any prelit smells. So I cut it with my Palio toasted lit and sit. I smoked this one while I tended the dying fire of of my fire pit at dusk with a cool breeze and the warm glow of embers. I kicked back on my 4 wheeler and began to relax with this one. Initial puffs produced a barrage of spice(yummy!!!).This continued for the first inch, then seem to settle into a nice peppry spice and some earthy notes. A little nutty and cedary. Burn was deadon and held for almost 2 inches. The balance was amazing as the spice was at the forefront and a complex variety of undertones. I was greetedwith a new taste every few puffs, but the main flavors were still cedar woodsy and slightly nutty with a great spice-the peppery seemed to dissipate. just over halfway and it mellowed a bit more-still being full bodied yet balanced and smooth. By the last third it picked up on the spice whichby then had become the prominent flavor and boy was it GREAT!!! Something about a fire and a cigar, man this was a good evening!
I know for a fact that I've smoked this one before on more than one occasion, but the name eludes me:hn. I smoke such a variety of cigars that sometimes it gets hard to remember what I've had. It seemed to have a Pepinesque spice, but was a little more complex than some I've smoked.
Overall-I wish this to be a dog rocket so I won't break the bank stocking up on these!!!
Thanks David for a great BTT experience!!!:tu

Biglizard1
09-28-2008, 01:07 AM
These are the last 2 from David(biglizard)
A
This was a 4 1/2 x 48-50 perfecto. Good construction. Dark wrapper, but didn't seem dark enough to be a maduro. I punched, lit and sit. Initial puffs were sweet- like dominican- with a slight zest of woodsy. The first third stayed the same and the second third is where this one amped up. The zest became a nice spicey cedary/woody taste with the sweetness tapering off. The spicey continued to build-but not overpowering- with the other notes staying at the forefront. This was a great cigar!! I nubbed it till I couldn't hold it anymore.
OK, this is where it gets tricky-the only perfecto I've ever smoked have been AF Hemmingways(which I love) so the mind games started just by looking at it. This had some flavors that favored AF, but had some subtle differences. Since I don't have any Hemis in my humi I couldn't compare sizes, this one seemed to slightly differ in size than the Hemis I've smoked. I'm sure I could just do an internet search for the answer, but I'd rather be surprised. So David, was this an AF or was it a cheaper cigar with just as good a taste??!!
Thanks Bro!!

You will like this!! RP perfecto!

E
6x50-very well constructed with a slightly oily wrapper. I didn't picke up on any prelit smells. So I cut it with my Palio toasted lit and sit. I smoked this one while I tended the dying fire of of my fire pit at dusk with a cool breeze and the warm glow of embers. I kicked back on my 4 wheeler and began to relax with this one. Initial puffs produced a barrage of spice(yummy!!!).This continued for the first inch, then seem to settle into a nice peppry spice and some earthy notes. A little nutty and cedary. Burn was deadon and held for almost 2 inches. The balance was amazing as the spice was at the forefront and a complex variety of undertones. I was greetedwith a new taste every few puffs, but the main flavors were still cedar woodsy and slightly nutty with a great spice-the peppery seemed to dissipate. just over halfway and it mellowed a bit more-still being full bodied yet balanced and smooth. By the last third it picked up on the spice whichby then had become the prominent flavor and boy was it GREAT!!! Something about a fire and a cigar, man this was a good evening!
I know for a fact that I've smoked this one before on more than one occasion, but the name eludes me:hn. I smoke such a variety of cigars that sometimes it gets hard to remember what I've had. It seemed to have a Pepinesque spice, but was a little more complex than some I've smoked.
Overall-I wish this to be a dog rocket so I won't break the bank stocking up on these!!!
Thanks David for a great BTT experience!!!:tu

Number E, Monte Platinum

I am glad you enjoyed these, I hope that you were able to find some new flavors, or new beginnings.
:ss

Mr. Ed
09-28-2008, 01:28 AM
Mr. Ed,

I did have the pleasure of enjoying two more cigars from the list finally.

Cigar C,

All I can say is wow from the moment we met.

Beautiful reddish brown wrapper, tightly rolled tobacco visible from the foot. Dense construction all the way through with a little squeeze testing. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the wrapper was perfect, all the strips were exactly the same width, all the veins showed exact same size, almost as though they were triplets. Cap was perfectly attached and cut crisp with the Palio. Pre draw was smooth, free, and a slight sweetnes. NOt suggary just pleasant. This was further enhanced by perfect conditions in the shop for smoking. Toasted with the Ronson Jet-lite and proceeded to have a sample. Uh oh... this cigar is giong to be a lover, I had grand plans of doing some clean up and monitoring of this cigar, but no the flavor was overwhelmingly delicious and pulled me right in to the cigar. Smoke was the thickest I had seen in a long time and the ash stayed a crisp 2" before dropping. White as snow with some little black specks in the ash just a wonderment as I sat down and enjoyed the first three inches. This cigar held flavor profile all the way through. Never did get too hot, tried my darndest to not over pull on the cigar. I have been wrong before but I believe this may have been the premium smoke of the bunch, It was perfeclty constructed, flavors excellent, burn so even I could tell time with it. If this is a cheap cigar let me know, cause I will buy boxes of them, but I dont think that is the case. I enjoyed this stick for nearly 2 hours, nubbed to the very end and regretted letting it go. So what was I enjoying?

I dont think this cigar is an everyday smoker! Special times call for special cigars like this one!:ss

Stick D,

Now, this one I swear I've had before,May have even been my favorite I sorted through half my humi trying to find a twin, smell, prelight, draw, everything, I really think this was a Sungrown of some sort, peppery taste, smooth burn. Enjoyed this cigar and hope I am not far off the guess. Cigar burned even and had a little grey colored ash, nice spicey flavor through and burned to about the 2" mark before I let it go out.

Would defintaley have some of this in the Humi for another day. So what was this one?
Glad you liked these David. :tu

Cigar C was a Don Pepin Blue Invictos (the robusto). All DPG's have great construction, but I have had the best luck with the Blue Label, these things burn and smoke perfectly and taste amazing. Good news, they are relatively cheap. You can get them at BlackCat cigars for $113.95 per box plus $6 dollar shipping: http://www.blackcatcigars.com/cigar.html#Don%20Pepin%20Garcia%20Blue%20Series%20 Cigar

C-bid also has them from time to time for great prices.

Cigar D was the Oliva Serie V Belicoso I believe. The entire serie V blend is great. I like the belicoso. I hear the Lancero is the best of the bunch, but I have yet to get my hands on one. These are usually sold out quick online, but Taboo has good prices as does seriouscigar.com. You almost 100% find these in stock at local B&M's with prices going from $6-$8 a stick.

Padron42
09-29-2008, 08:25 PM
On there way! DC# 0304 1560 0002 4113 2925

Got em this morning. Thanks. They look great, they're restin in the cooler now, I'll probably smoke the first one either tonight or tomorrow and reviews will follow.

hurricane6
09-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Ted-me and biglizard are done! Please add me back to both lists! Thanks Ted!

My final thoughts on biglizard's BTT
A-I haven't had an RP in over a year. I kinda got burned out on 'em. After this stick, I'll definitely be lookin' into them again.
B-I was never a big fan of the Padron x000 series. To me, for the price I enjoy other cigars alot more.
C-I've only ever had 1 Perdomo Lot 23 and it had such a horrible citrus taste that I never picked up another to try. This one tasted NOTHING like the other one I had, and I will pick up some more of these.
D-5 Vegas, to me have always been consistent and not very complex, perfect for my morning smoke.
E- I've had a number of the MC Platinums and enjoyed them, but I definitely paid more attention to this smoke because of the blind taste test and got more out of this one then I have before.

David-thanks a ton for the great smokes and for bringing me back around on some good sticks I had given up on.:tu

jjirons69
09-29-2008, 09:19 PM
So, Rick, which was the rocket in the bunch? I guess cheapest being cigar D.

hurricane6
09-29-2008, 09:40 PM
So, Rick, which was the rocket in the bunch? I guess cheapest being cigar D.

IMHO I would say B. Just didn't have a real good taste to me. I'm almost expecting an FC every time seems how I think they're soooo good!:r

ChasDen
09-29-2008, 10:35 PM

Chas

Sorry for the delay getting these out.

Life comes at you fast :mad:

Wide selection of aged smokes headed your way.

DC# 0103 8555 7496 3266 3182

Chas

Beer Doctor
09-30-2008, 12:49 AM
This is a review of cigar "D" from Mr. Ed. I smoked it on 9/24/08

Prelight
48-52 x 50. Box pressed cigar. Interesting box press. Rounded edges. Not a maduro but more of a colorado. Very smooth wrapper with small non-raised veins. Nice feel, little give, not too hard and no soft spots. Smelled like sweet tobacco (not flavored). Prelight draw was sweet stale wood.
First Third
Started off with a medicinal taste. Didnt' start out too well. Definitely medium body. Little bite but not a spice bite. Has some sweet undertones and is faintly spicy as it progresses. Burn began to go awry early. Doesn't seem to be a flavor profile that I'm enjoying. Some very bad tunneling is going on which is affecting the burn/draw. Draw has been good before tunneling.

Second Third
Stale sweet continues with no spice or medicinal taste. Little spice when blow through nose. Getting a little better. Some chocolate flavors. Burn is still crooked. Tunneling continued to get worse but not affecting the smoke that much just the burn.

Last Third
Medicinal flavor came back. A little leather with the medicinal taste.

Final thoughts-The medicinal flavor that I was tasting wasn't because it was harsh it was just the predominant flavor that I detected.

Appearance & Construction-14/15
Flavor-11/25
Smoking Characteristics-20/25
Overall Impression-20/35
Total 65/100

My GUESS-The shape indicates it's not a bundle but I thought the flavor indicated it would be. It didn't taste like anything I've smoked before so I don't even have an educated guess so I'll just pull one out of my...Is it some sort of Rocky 2nds?

So what did I smoke???

Tunneling

Tunneling

Beer Doctor
09-30-2008, 01:00 AM
This is cigar "B" from Ed. Smoked on 9/25/08
Prelight
48-52 x 5. Nice natural wrapper. Toothy. Maybe a triple cap. Floral prelight smell. Draw was a little loose but nice and had a barnyard taste in the prelight draw.
First Third
Huge spice blast! Dry smoke. Nice flavor. Spicy and great. Tunneled a little but didn't affect draw or burn. Ash was a little loose. At this point I was pretty convinced I knew what it was.
Second Third
Sweet undertones. Same flavor otherwise. More tunneling that caused a little problems but didn't detract from the enjoyment. My wife came out and we talked for the rest of the cigar so I didn't take notes as diligently as I usually do.

Flavor-22/25
Overall Impression-32/35
Total 91/100

My GUESS-I feel as confident as I did with the JdN. Was it a DPG Serie JJ Selectos? Regardless, it was a fantastic smoke that I really enjoyed. Gave me some hiccups at the end. Thanks for the great smoke!!

So what did I smoke???

Mr. Ed
09-30-2008, 01:38 AM
This is a review of cigar "D" from Mr. Ed. I smoked it on 9/24/08

Prelight
48-52 x 50. Box pressed cigar. Interesting box press. Rounded edges. Not a maduro but more of a colorado. Very smooth wrapper with small non-raised veins. Nice feel, little give, not too hard and no soft spots. Smelled like sweet tobacco (not flavored). Prelight draw was sweet stale wood.
First Third
Started off with a medicinal taste. Didnt' start out too well. Definitely medium body. Little bite but not a spice bite. Has some sweet undertones and is faintly spicy as it progresses. Burn began to go awry early. Doesn't seem to be a flavor profile that I'm enjoying. Some very bad tunneling is going on which is affecting the burn/draw. Draw has been good before tunneling.

Second Third
Stale sweet continues with no spice or medicinal taste. Little spice when blow through nose. Getting a little better. Some chocolate flavors. Burn is still crooked. Tunneling continued to get worse but not affecting the smoke that much just the burn.

Last Third
Medicinal flavor came back. A little leather with the medicinal taste.

Final thoughts-The medicinal flavor that I was tasting wasn't because it was harsh it was just the predominant flavor that I detected.

Flavor-11/25
Smoking Characteristics-20/25
Overall Impression-20/35
Total 65/100

My GUESS-The shape indicates it's not a bundle but I thought the flavor indicated it would be. It didn't taste like anything I've smoked before so I don't even have an educated guess so I'll just pull one out of my...Is it some sort of Rocky 2nds?

So what did I smoke???

Tunneling

Tunneling

This cigar was the highly touted Famous Nicaraguan 3000 Robusto. This one came from a five pack that was so-so, I bought a bundle before that smoked pretty well. If you want to examine the cigar some more, they are currently available at Famous for a cheap price. My opinion, good, but not as amazing as advertised. They are a bundle smoke after all and you do get some duds.

Mr. Ed
09-30-2008, 01:41 AM
This is cigar "B" from Ed. Smoked on 9/25/08
Prelight
48-52 x 5. Nice natural wrapper. Toothy. Maybe a triple cap. Floral prelight smell. Draw was a little loose but nice and had a barnyard taste in the prelight draw.
First Third
Huge spice blast! Dry smoke. Nice flavor. Spicy and great. Tunneled a little but didn't affect draw or burn. Ash was a little loose. At this point I was pretty convinced I knew what it was.
Second Third
Sweet undertones. Same flavor otherwise. More tunneling that caused a little problems but didn't detract from the enjoyment. My wife came out and we talked for the rest of the cigar so I didn't take notes as diligently as I usually do.

Flavor-22/25
Overall Impression-32/35
Total 91/100

My GUESS-I feel as confident as I did with the JdN. Was it a DPG Serie JJ Selectos? Regardless, it was a fantastic smoke that I really enjoyed. Gave me some hiccups at the end. Thanks for the great smoke!!

So what did I smoke???

This was a Pepin cigar. This was actually a Cabaiguan Robustos Extra. These are really solid cigars. Everyone I've smoked has perfect construction and great flavor. A really great cigar here that I will always have in stock. The corona gorda size is good too. If you want something a little more spicy and full try the Cabaiguan Guapo versions, they hav a little more kick. The petite corona for the Guapo version is where it's at for me.

Beer Doctor
09-30-2008, 12:16 PM
This cigar was the highly touted Famous Nicaraguan 3000 Robusto. This one came from a five pack that was so-so, I bought a bundle before that smoked pretty well. If you want to examine the cigar some more, they are currently available at Famous for a cheap price. My opinion, good, but not as amazing as advertised. They are a bundle smoke after all and you do get some duds.

I've been very interested in trying these. Thanks! I definitely enjoyed the middle third more than the other two thirds.

Beer Doctor
09-30-2008, 12:17 PM
This was a Pepin cigar. This was actually a Cabaiguan Robustos Extra. These are really solid cigars. Everyone I've smoked has perfect construction and great flavor. A really great cigar here that I will always have in stock. The corona gorda size is good too. If you want something a little more spicy and full try the Cabaiguan Guapo versions, they hav a little more kick. The petite corona for the Guapo version is where it's at for me.

I might have to pick some of these up! I was under the impression that this was suppose to be a "milder" Pepin. I thought it was on the fuller side of medium. Great smoke!

Mr. Ed
09-30-2008, 03:41 PM
I might have to pick some of these up! I was under the impression that this was suppose to be a "milder" Pepin. I thought it was on the fuller side of medium. Great smoke!
I find them to be mild-medium most of the time. In terms of spice, you can't compare it to the Tatuaje or any of the DPG's. I'm really loving these right now! :tu

tedrodgerscpa
09-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
BigLizard1-->hurricane6--received--DONE
tedrodgerscpa-->BlackIrish--received
ir13-->MysticalMan--received
jjirons69-->redrockeyes--received
ir13-->_mo
_mo-->walleyedad1--received
Gophernut-->Padron42--received
ChasDen-->BD Strummer

Offering Up
walleyedad1
Padron42
hurricane6

Waiting List
hurricane6

BD Strummer
09-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Sorry for the delay getting these out.

Life comes at you fast :mad:

Wide selection of aged smokes headed your way.

DC# 0103 8555 7496 3266 3182

Chas

I can't wait! :tu

BlackIrish
10-01-2008, 11:12 AM
After a crazy day at work, I carved out some time to smoke TedRodgersCPA's Cigar #5 last night at my local cigar haunt (here's a shameless plug for Churchill's Lounge in Boston -- I'm not a shill, just a fan and a regular).

The cigar: TedrodgersCPA BTT#5
Robusto size, approx 5 x 52

Prelight: This was a maduro box-pressed beauty. The wrapper was a deep dark brown, like a smooth and velvety chocolate bar. The wrapper reminded me of a Torano Exodus 1959 or a Gurkha Regent. Earth and barnyard on the nose, rich chocolate and coffee on the easy cold draw.

Burn: good. Lit easily, producing a zebra striped ash that was a bit soft and flakey. There was wobbling that required the occasionaly touch up, but nothing that impaired the experience. Lots of smoke (love that!) and a nice slow burn -- this robusto lasted close to 75 minutes.

Flavor: A burst of pepperiness at the lighting smoothed out quickly into a smooth, slightly sweet, earthy maduro-ness. There was coffee and chocolate, mostly on the back of the palate, during the first third. These flavors became more focused as the tobacco warmed. By the middle, there was some nuttiness in the mix, maybe just a brief appearance of caramel and cinnamon. The last third was the best, with dark sweet coffee, mixed with vanilla and cream. I didn't want it to end, but, sadly, all cigars do.

A very flavorful smoke, medium in body, leaning toward med-full by the last third. Very smooth, and with a relatively clean finish. Overall, a very enjoyable cigar. I'm sticking with my initial impressions, calling this either a Torano Exodus 1959 or Gurkha Regent.

Thanks, Ted. What did I smoke?

BlackIrish

BD Strummer
10-01-2008, 10:00 PM
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/01/p_1920826_0.jpg

Got my smokes from ChasDen today (Thanks Chuck). :tu They all look delicious, as most cigars do. I can't wait to dig in. :ss

tedrodgerscpa
10-01-2008, 10:50 PM
After a crazy day at work, I carved out some time to smoke TedRodgersCPA's Cigar #5 last night at my local cigar haunt (here's a shameless plug for Churchill's Lounge in Boston -- I'm not a shill, just a fan and a regular).

The cigar: TedrodgersCPA BTT#5
Robusto size, approx 5 x 52

Thanks, Ted. What did I smoke?

BlackIrish

Dude, you were much closer in your other picks... and the good news about this one? I consdiered it to be the 'dog rocket' of the bunch.

Twas a Nestor Reserve Maduro... you can snag a fiver of these on Cbid for pretty durn cheap, and a box for around a buck a stick.

A lot of people dont' like em, but I think that, for the price, they're an outstanding yard-gar!!!

Glad it worked out for you.

tedrodgerscpa
10-01-2008, 10:52 PM
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/01/p_1921004_0.jpg

Got my smokes from ChasDen today (Thanks Chuck). :tu They all look delicious, as most cigars do. I can't wait to dig in. :ss

Hmmmmm..... wonder what "C" is....

I could be wrong, but I've got a wee little guess...

BlackIrish
10-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Dude, you were much closer in your other picks... and the good news about this one? I consdiered it to be the 'dog rocket' of the bunch.

Twas a Nestor Reserve Maduro... you can snag a fiver of these on Cbid for pretty durn cheap, and a box for around a buck a stick.

A lot of people dont' like em, but I think that, for the price, they're an outstanding yard-gar!!!

Glad it worked out for you.

Wow. Definitely not a dog rocket, at least not the one you sent me. Not sure why, but I've never had a high impression of Plasencia's stuff. Gotta love how a blind tasting can actually open your eyes to new possibilities. I'll need to check these out.

Looking forward to the last two even more now that I know I survived the yard 'gar!

BlackIrish

jjirons69
10-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Hear, hear...the Nestor Reserve Maduro is a great yard gar. Got a couple of 5'ers from cbid for $5 each. Plus only $0.50 with the combined shipping. :tu

Mr. Ed
10-02-2008, 01:45 AM
This was cigar 1 from Marcus (Beer Doctor)

Initial Impressions: This was a natural-wrapped belicoso. The wrapper was very good quality and had a nice oily-sheen to it. No blemishes. This was a firmly packed cigar. No pre-light aroma from this cigar

Pictures:

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/02/p_1921386_0.jpg (http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn0969ws1.jpg)

Smoking: This cigar had a great draw with lots of smoke from start to finish. The burn was even the whole way through and the cigar burned cool, no overheating. No wrapper issues, it was well applied. The ash was firm and stayed on until I ashed myself. Perfect construction on this cigar.

Taste: This was a medium-bodied cigar, on the lite side of medium. The cigar started out with a medium bodied tobacco taste that had some "cedar"-like flavor and a little bit of sweetness. The finish was mild and sweet and stayed on the palate for a short time. Later on the cigar grew in strength and even had a little bit of spice to it. The predominant taste that remained was that "cedar"-like flavor and some mild sweetness. The finish also became more full. Mild aroma came off of this cigar while smoking.

Conclusion: This was a decent cigar. Great for a mild-medium bodied smoke as a change of pace. Perfect construction and the taste was solid the whole way through, no complaints.

Beer Doctor
10-02-2008, 12:27 PM
This was cigar 1 from Marcus (Beer Doctor)

Initial Impressions: This was a natural-wrapped belicoso. The wrapper was very good quality and had a nice oily-sheen to it. No blemishes. This was a firmly packed cigar. No pre-light aroma from this cigar

Pictures:

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/02/p_1921955_0.jpg (http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn0969ws1.jpg)

Smoking: This cigar had a great draw with lots of smoke from start to finish. The burn was even the whole way through and the cigar burned cool, no overheating. No wrapper issues, it was well applied. The ash was firm and stayed on until I ashed myself. Perfect construction on this cigar.

Taste: This was a medium-bodied cigar, on the lite side of medium. The cigar started out with a medium bodied tobacco taste that had some "cedar"-like flavor and a little bit of sweetness. The finish was mild and sweet and stayed on the palate for a short time. Later on the cigar grew in strength and even had a little bit of spice to it. The predominant taste that remained was that "cedar"-like flavor and some mild sweetness. The finish also became more full. Mild aroma came off of this cigar while smoking.

Conclusion: This was a decent cigar. Great for a mild-medium bodied smoke as a change of pace. Perfect construction and the taste was solid the whole way through, no complaints.

That was a DPG Serie JJ Belicosos. I put this one in b/c I knew you were a Pepin whore and thought this would be your fav:D Gotta love BTT:r

I love maduros and usually smoke them or darker wrapped cigars but I recently started trying lighter wrappers and this cigar was one I really enjoyed. I can't wait to try the maduro version of the JJ.

redrockeyes
10-02-2008, 04:58 PM
I had a chnace to get back to some of jjrons smokes. Last night it was #4 that fell victim.
It looked to be a belicoso.very tightly wrapped.good looking sheen to it as well.

Pre Light draw was sweet and nutty. I toasted it and lit up.

Right off I get great white somke and a coffee with cream flavor.
I am liking this one.
Holds a good white ash as I get through the 1st third.
2nd third the taste stays the same, coffe with cream. I like it. Tons of great smoke.

Final 3rd- Creamy taste mixed with a little spice kick.
the burn was nice and even all the way and the ash held good.

Overall I really enjoyed this smoke.I wished it didn't end when it did. It took me about 1hr 45 minutes to smoke and I enjoyed every minute of it.

SO JJRONS WHAT DID I SMOKE?

BD Strummer
10-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Hmmmmm..... wonder what "C" is....

I could be wrong, but I've got a wee little guess...

So, I guess I should start with this one, huh?

IndyRob
10-02-2008, 07:51 PM
can i get in on this?

Mr. Ed
10-02-2008, 07:54 PM
That was a DPG Serie JJ Belicosos. I put this one in b/c I knew you were a Pepin whore and thought this would be your fav:D Gotta love BTT:r

I love maduros and usually smoke them or darker wrapped cigars but I recently started trying lighter wrappers and this cigar was one I really enjoyed. I can't wait to try the maduro version of the JJ.
You are a bastage sir.

This is the second time I've given a less than stellar review to a Pepin cigar in thi BTT. :ss

Good mild-medium cigar, but not great. Construction was perfect as usual though. I thought it may have been a Cabaiguan belicoso. I'm interested in trying the maduro version now as well. I have only ever tried two Serie JJ smokes (including this one).

Anyways, BTT is a strange thing :r

Ranking what I have liked most so far from most to least

1. RP Vintage Churchill
2&3 CAO Maduro and DPG Serie JJ (both were good, but not great, I'll give the edge to the CAO)
4. Partagas Black

jjirons69
10-02-2008, 09:02 PM
I had a chnace to get back to some of jjrons smokes. Last night it was #4 that fell victim.
It looked to be a belicoso.very tightly wrapped.good looking sheen to it as well.

Pre Light draw was sweet and nutty. I toasted it and lit up.

Right off I get great white somke and a coffee with cream flavor.
I am liking this one.
Holds a good white ash as I get through the 1st third.
2nd third the taste stays the same, coffe with cream. I like it. Tons of great smoke.

Final 3rd- Creamy taste mixed with a little spice kick.
the burn was nice and even all the way and the ash held good.

Overall I really enjoyed this smoke.I wished it didn't end when it did. It took me about 1hr 45 minutes to smoke and I enjoyed every minute of it.

SO JJRONS WHAT DID I SMOKE?

Mr. Eyes, you enjoyed the flavor of The Griffin's. The ones I had were just as you've described. They're on the medium side, good with coffee in the morning, an easy smoke to enjoy. A little creamy, lots of smoke, and a nutty hint now and then. While not a flavor rollercoaster, it's a nice smoke to sit and quietly enjoy.

jjirons69
10-02-2008, 09:06 PM
can i get in on this?

Rob, you want in on the "offering" or "waiting to be served" list?

You are a bastage sir.

This is the second time I've given a less than stellar review to a Pepin cigar in thi BTT. :ss

Good mild-medium cigar, but not great. Construction was perfect as usual though. I thought it may have been a Cabaiguan belicoso. I'm interested in trying the maduro version now as well. I have only ever tried two Serie JJ smokes (including this one).

Anyways, BTT is a strange thing :r

Ranking what I have liked most so far from most to least

1. RP Vintage Churchill
2&3 CAO Maduro and DPG Serie JJ (both were good, but not great, I'll give the edge to the CAO)
4. Partagas Black

Oooohhh, Mr. Ed, as a Pepin whore, that 1st place RP must be just grinding your gears?!?! :D

jjirons69
10-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Uncle Teddy Bear, please put me up on the waiting list. I'm behind Rick and Rob, if he so chooses that list. If at all possible, I'd like to hit up Walleyedad1, since he'll be at the herf next weekend. At least this option saves someone $5 postage. Guys, let me know if this is cool. I have no problem waiting if not.

IndyRob
10-02-2008, 09:31 PM
waiting list please.

Mr. Ed
10-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Oooohhh, Mr. Ed, as a Pepin whore, that 1st place RP must be just grinding your gears?!?! :D

Yes, just a little bit. :ss

This BTT is great, two of the cigars I've enjoyed the most are dirt cheap. The Leoninos Corojitos by La Aurora and the Gran Habano Corojo #5 Toro.

BD Strummer
10-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Tonight I decided to Jump right in to my BTT smokes from ChasDen. This is my first BTT and also my first review, please keep that in mind. Anyway, I went for the ChasDen "C". :tu

At first glance, it seemed to look like an A. Fuente Hemmingway I'd had in the past because of the tip at the foot. The approximate size was 5 3/4 x 44 (or 46). Natural, toothy wrapper with very little sheen and prominent veins. I clipped with the Palio and and noticed that it had a solid, tight construction. This was also noticable later when the ash made it well into the 2nd third of the stick.

The pre-draw was tight, possibly because of the foot, and had a slightly sweet woodsy taste, possibly oak or cedar. The Woodsy taste was immediately noticeable at first light, also.

The first third started out light bodied and woodsy, with a very slight hint of leather. Very smooth producing a salt-n-pepper ash (possibly a Nicuraguan/Dominican Bland?). About half way through the first third the leather became more and more noticeable and body of flavor started to thicken. At first there wasn't much smoke due to the tight draw, but that quickly turned into thick clouds of smoke which I like.

I noticed as I came to the second third that the burn on this cigar was great. I didn't have to touch it up all and as I and said before the ash was holding strong. In the second third the leather became more dominant and woodsy taste subsided and strength was quickly building to mild/medium.

In the final third of this stick, the tastes seemed to even out between the wood and leather. And, as most smokes do, the last third was definitely the strongest. That being said, I didn't think this was a strong cigar to begin with, but the strength definitely picked at the end. The smoke seemed to pouring out at this point. :ss

I smoked it down to about the last inch. I'm not a big fan of leather tasting smokes, but I found this more tolerable than, say a Torano Noventa, which is over powering with leather. Much like smoking a baseball glove. This stick was much smoother on the leather end, thus making it more tolerable.

I thought it was good smoke, maybe best suited for a morning stick. It didn't leave an overpowering aftertase in my mouth, which is good. If I had to guess, I'd stick my initial guess of an A. Fuente Hemmingway. Thanks again for the sticks, Chuck.

So, tell me ChasDen, what did I smoke???

jjirons69
10-03-2008, 12:35 AM

Sounds like you had a moccasin. :dr

_mo
10-03-2008, 03:03 PM
received from ir13.. reviews coming

ChasDen
10-03-2008, 10:40 PM
At first glance, it seemed to look like an A. Fuente Hemmingway I'd had in the past because of the tip at the foot.

I almost took it out since it would be easy to guess if you had one before, but I took a chance you hadn't.

I love the consistency of the series and for me they are an early day or lunch time cigar with coffee or a cold draft ale. Not too complex, and with some age the woodsy taste mellows a tad. the one I sent you was bought in May.

1 down 4 to go, lets see if you guess the rest :D

Chas

hurricane6
10-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Uncle Teddy Bear, please put me up on the waiting list. I'm behind Rick and Rob, if he so chooses that list. If at all possible, I'd like to hit up Walleyedad1, since he'll be at the herf next weekend. At least this option saves someone $5 postage. Guys, let me know if this is cool. I have no problem waiting if not.

I have no problem with that!
Ted, you got a couple more reviews for me yet? No hurry, just wondering.:tu

jjirons69
10-04-2008, 12:37 AM
PM sent to Walleyedad1.

tedrodgerscpa
10-04-2008, 02:09 AM
Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
ir13-->_mo--received
ChasDen-->BD Strummer--received
walleyedad1-->jjirons69

Offering Up
Padron42
hurricane6

Waiting List
hurricane6
IndyRob

tedrodgerscpa
10-04-2008, 02:12 AM
waiting list please.

IndyRob... got you on there... You should feel free to PM someone on the 'offering up' list, and make sure to let me know IN THREAD if you have a trade going

We're all good with it. Got you down for a BTT trade with WalleyeDad

I have no problem with that!
Ted, you got a couple more reviews for me yet? No hurry, just wondering.:tu

I've actually got another review that I haven't written up yet... Got the final stick to burn tomorrow night, but thanks for the poking and proding, Hurricane6!!!

tedrodgerscpa
10-04-2008, 02:28 AM
O.K., O.K... Lemme go ahead and bust out this review right before bed.

This is for Hurricane6's Stick #4, a lovely little 6.25" X 52 reddish triple capped beauty

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1925778_0.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1925778_1.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1925778_2.jpg

The size is a bit off, but I'm already thinking how much this stick reminds me of a Padilla Achilles.... Luckily, this stick is in great shape with no nasty foot beatings that is attributable to that particular linea.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1925778_3.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1925778_4.jpg

I really enjoy a comfy couch, CS Chat and NFL football to accompany me on my BTTs... seems to always seal the deal..

Palio'd this one, and she lit right up.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1925778_5.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1925778_6.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1925778_7.jpg

The ash was snow white and the flavor was very nice... reminded me of somewhere between Rocky and Pepin... At times I'm wondering if this is some sexy new pepin stick... then, I think 'nope, this is a RP Fusion'.... not an easy BTT with this one.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1925778_8.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1925778_9.jpg

Obviously nub-worthy..

O.K., so it's been a few days since I smoked this thing, and my memory has faded a bit... My fault for not getting the review up sooner.

But, here's what I do remember clearly.

The construction was very nice on this stick, with a few runs during burning but nothing that a touch-up couldnt' fix. The flavor was a medium-full, which I always appreciate. Sort of missing some of that pepin spice.

I'm down to two guesses... One would be a Gran Habano #3, and the other a Rocky Fusion (second choice only because this stick reminds me so much of how a Fusion looks, I can't fight the first impression)

So, tell me Hurricane6, what did I just smoke?

hurricane6
10-04-2008, 09:54 AM
O.K., O.K... Lemme go ahead and bust out this review right before bed.

This is for Hurricane6's Stick #4, a lovely little 6.25" X 52 reddish triple capped beauty

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1926015_0.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1926015_1.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1926015_2.jpg

The size is a bit off, but I'm already thinking how much this stick reminds me of a Padilla Achilles.... Luckily, this stick is in great shape with no nasty foot beatings that is attributable to that particular linea.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1926015_3.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1926015_4.jpg

I really enjoy a comfy couch, CS Chat and NFL football to accompany me on my BTTs... seems to always seal the deal..

Palio'd this one, and she lit right up.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1926015_5.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1926015_6.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1926015_7.jpg

The ash was snow white and the flavor was very nice... reminded me of somewhere between Rocky and Pepin... At times I'm wondering if this is some sexy new pepin stick... then, I think 'nope, this is a RP Fusion'.... not an easy BTT with this one.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1926015_8.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1926015_9.jpg

Obviously nub-worthy..

O.K., so it's been a few days since I smoked this thing, and my memory has faded a bit... My fault for not getting the review up sooner.

But, here's what I do remember clearly.

The construction was very nice on this stick, with a few runs during burning but nothing that a touch-up couldnt' fix. The flavor was a medium-full, which I always appreciate. Sort of missing some of that pepin spice.

I'm down to two guesses... One would be a Gran Habano #3, and the other a Rocky Fusion (second choice only because this stick reminds me so much of how a Fusion looks, I can't fight the first impression)

So, tell me Hurricane6, what did I just smoke?

I bought about 4 of these from one of our members over a year ago. Now I wish I had bought more, because I can't find them anymore!! Anyway, this was an event stick -rolled supposedly just for this one event(if my memory serves me right). I'll probably do a search later just to refresh my memory.
That Ted was a Pepin-Bad To The Bone Tour 2007 event cigar.

tedrodgerscpa
10-04-2008, 10:47 AM
I bought about 4 of these from one of our members over a year ago. Now I wish I had bought more, because I can't find them anymore!! Anyway, this was an event stick -rolled supposedly just for this one event(if my memory serves me right). I'll probably do a search later just to refresh my memory.
That Ted was a Pepin-Bad To The Bone Tour 2007 event cigar.

Ahhhh.... that's the one with the cow skull on the band? If so, I have exactly one other, that I received in trade here.. haven't smoked it yet, but looking forward to it now.

Here's a LINK (http://www.outlawcigar.com/sitesections/store/BrowseProducts.aspx?DepID=14&ParentDepartmentId=14) to their website... apparently they still have a box or two for $180.

Fantastic cigar, btw... looking forward to hitting up the last one tonight!

tedrodgerscpa
10-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Oh, and here's a link from the "not a newbie PIF' where I first received this stick... check the pic in the thread, and we'll see if that's the same stick!

bad to the bone pepin PIF (http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1521268&postcount=1184)

hurricane6
10-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Oh, and here's a link from the "not a newbie PIF' where I first received this stick... check the pic in the thread, and we'll see if that's the same stick!

bad to the bone pepin PIF (http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1521268&postcount=1184)

That's the one!!:tu

tedrodgerscpa
10-05-2008, 12:02 AM
O.K., Hurricane6... here's the final review with stick #2

This torpedo is a 6x50 that's near black in color, with no stems in foot.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927259_0.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927259_1.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927259_2.jpg

The cap on this stick is quite strange, with the wrapper leaves almost making a candy cane pattern at the tip
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927259_3.jpg

Prelight draw very very acrid, almost like the way shoe polish smells... however, it was a very smooth draw prelight. Clipped easily with a Palio!
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927259_4.jpg

I toasted the foot carefully for fear of it going bitter, and away I go!

First third; shoe polish taste is gone, but overall very flat flavor - draw a bit firm, which may be fixed by a lower RH - I store at 66-68%
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927259_5.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927259_6.jpg

Second third: draw loosening up quite a bit, and a bit more flavor is coming out. Starting to get more hints of the maduro, and the nic is kicking up a bit
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927259_7.jpg

Final third: draw is just like I like it... wish it didnt' take most of the cigar to develop. Taste turned flat again. BTW, the damn thing went out on me. I'm smoking at a regular pace, and it just hit a wall.
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927259_8.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927259_9.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927259_10.jpg

Dont know if this is the dog rocket, but I dont' think I'd rush to find another one for two reasons.

1. I'm not smoking nearly as many maduros as I used to (except for JJ maduros, but I'm a Pepin whore), and
2. I tend to stay away from torpedos and belicosos due to the smoke concentration at the end

All in all, I don't really have a guess. I had higher hopes for this stick, but dont' think it's one I'd add to my regular rotation.

As for a guess, I really have no idea whatsoever.

Help a brother out, hurricane6, what did I just smoke?

P.S. Thanks so much for the opportunity to allow me to try this BTT out! 4 out of 5 were fantastic, and I'm adding Cubao to my short wish list!

hurricane6
10-05-2008, 12:13 AM
O.K., Hurricane6... here's the final review with stick #2

This torpedo is a 6x50 that's near black in color, with no stems in foot.

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927287_0.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927287_1.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927287_2.jpg

The cap on this stick is quite strange, with the wrapper leaves almost making a candy cane pattern at the tip
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927287_3.jpg

Prelight draw very very acrid, almost like the way shoe polish smells... however, it was a very smooth draw prelight. Clipped easily with a Palio!
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927287_4.jpg

I toasted the foot carefully for fear of it going bitter, and away I go!

First third; shoe polish taste is gone, but overall very flat flavor - draw a bit firm, which may be fixed by a lower RH - I store at 66-68%
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927287_5.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927287_6.jpg

Second third: draw loosening up quite a bit, and a bit more flavor is coming out. Starting to get more hints of the maduro, and the nic is kicking up a bit
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927287_7.jpg

Final third: draw is just like I like it... wish it didnt' take most of the cigar to develop. Taste turned flat again. BTW, the damn thing went out on me. I'm smoking at a regular pace, and it just hit a wall.
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927287_8.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927287_9.jpg
http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/10/04/p_1927287_10.jpg

Dont know if this is the dog rocket, but I dont' think I'd rush to find another one for two reasons.

1. I'm not smoking nearly as many maduros as I used to (except for JJ maduros, but I'm a Pepin whore), and
2. I tend to stay away from torpedos and belicosos due to the smoke concentration at the end

All in all, I don't really have a guess. I had higher hopes for this stick, but dont' think it's one I'd add to my regular rotation.

As for a guess, I really have no idea whatsoever.

Help a brother out, hurricane6, what did I just smoke?

P.S. Thanks so much for the opportunity to allow me to try this BTT out! 4 out of 5 were fantastic, and I'm adding Cubao to my short wish list!

Although the RP Deisel was the lower priced cigar, I chose this one as the 'dog rocket'. My B&M just picked these up and with the 'new' blend and new aging process -the rep said they are trying to attract more customers and he was handing these out with a buy one get 2 free. I bought a handful and received a handful(different vitolas and blends), unfortunately this was the best of the bunch IMHO-which doesn't say much for the brand-I have given most of them away and the general concensus is the same as yours and mine.
That was an Avalon Juke Maduro. I didn't care too much for the original releases and really don't care much for the new ones. As always Ted-great reviews and great pics to go along with them!!!:tu

BlackIrish
10-06-2008, 08:44 PM
After a too-long hiatus, tonight I got a chance to smoke Cigar No. 2 from TedRodgersCPA's excellent BTT selection. Again, my apologies for the lack of photographic evidence; I'll fix that soon.

The cigar: a lonsdale, approximately 6 x 42 or thereabouts (I'll be picking up a sizing tool before my next foray into BTTs)

Prelight: a beautiful dark, almost-maduro wrapper, nearly veinless, with a very nicely applied cap. Aromas were subtle, mostly of tobacco and leather

Burn: very good. Quite straight through the first two thirds, with a slight slanted burn line developing toward the last third, but nothing to worry about. Excellent draw. Beautiful firm gray-white ash that resists tipping even when it's an inch and a half long.

Flavor: first puffs are leathery and not as powerful as I'd expected. The flavors become more complex, with some light spice joining the leather. It's a very smooth, well-balanced smoke, with a medium body and a clean finish. The aroma of the smoke is intoxicating, sweet, and rich. The flavors shift and intensify by the last third, with some darker notes emerging and a longer finish: cocoa, coffee, a note of anise maybe? some vanilla on the finish? It's a rich, delicious smoking experience.

Ted, I'd love to know what you sent me. The leathery notes and delicious complexity remind me of the only Tatuaje brown label I've smoked; maybe it's a Tatuaje Cazadore? Perhaps an Illusione F9?

Thanks for the delicious treat!

BlackIrish

tedrodgerscpa
10-06-2008, 11:30 PM
After a too-long hiatus, tonight I got a chance to smoke Cigar No. 2 from TedRodgersCPA's excellent BTT selection. Again, my apologies for the lack of photographic evidence; I'll fix that soon.

Ted, I'd love to know what you sent me. The leathery notes and delicious complexity remind me of the only Tatuaje brown label I've smoked; maybe it's a Tatuaje Cazadore? Perhaps an Illusione F9?

Thanks for the delicious treat!

BlackIrish

Hmmm.... very interesting... I've only had a few experiences with this stick...

That, sir, was a Man O War corona... I think this stick was overly hyped, but is fairly good. Not worth the price tag that some websites attach to it, but definitely worth further CBid purchases.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Ted

BlackIrish
10-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Hmmm.... very interesting... I've only had a few experiences with this stick...

That, sir, was a Man O War corona... I think this stick was overly hyped, but is fairly good. Not worth the price tag that some websites attach to it, but definitely worth further CBid purchases.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Ted

Very interesting. I haven't had a Man O War before, and I'll need to check them out. Thanks, Ted.

Padron42
10-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Just wanted to post that I'm sending out sticks to Hurricane6, and that I'm getting ready to light up one of the cigars from gophernut so a review is soon to follow

Padron42
10-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Just smoked Cigar #4 from gophernut....here goes the review

I picked #4 first because I was in the mood for a quicker smoke and it was the smallest. It's about a 5-5 1/2 by 48-50 maybe. The appearance isn't great but not bad either. It's a nice dark maduro wrapper, pretty veiny, the wrapper also seems to be cut a little bit above the end of the filler where it was cut, which I've never really seen (except intentionally like on the Gurkhas that do it, but that's not really what this is at all). It also looked like a stem was in the foot, but I'm not positive.

Cut it and lit it, and it started burning very well, which surprised me after noticing the possible stem. The initial taste was unpleasant...kind of had an aroma of what I'm thinking was a mix of paint and bug spray. About an inch into it, it was giving off a great amount of smoke and burning well, but still had a bad taste. About half way there was definitely something wrong because it really slowed down on the draw. The taste was pretty much the same throughout, and definitely not a taste I'd like to have again haha.

So overall, I'd give:
Construction: 2/5
Burn: 4/5
Draw: 3/5
Taste: 0/5

Thanks again....I'm really interested to see if this was your dog rocket or if I just got a bad one or if it's just a flavor profile I'm not a fan of.

Gophernut
10-07-2008, 07:10 PM
That was a cigar I picked up at the local B&M. He said it was a La Villazon. Apparently it's a cigar that is the same blend as one of their usual cigars, the villazon factory that makes a number of premium cigar brands, but rolled by an apprentice roller. He mentioned this was a Punch maduro blend.I have smoked a couple of these, and never quite experienced the flavors you described, but I wouldn't call it a premium stick either. It's pretty much the dog rocket in the bunch, but I don't think it's a bad yard gar either. Sorry you didn't enjoy it, but I hope you'll like the other ones more! I guess you can't enjoy them less:D

tedrodgerscpa
10-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
hurricane6-->tedrodgerscpa--received--DONE
ir13-->_mo--received
walleyedad1-->jjirons69
Padron42-->hurricane6

Offering Up
hurricane6
tedrodgerscpa

Waiting List
IndyRob
tedrodgerscpa

renton20
10-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Hey guys, this looks like a great idea you all have going here. Please add me to both lists :tu

BlackIrish
10-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Hey, all. Smoked the last of TedRdogersCPA's BTT pack, which was cigar no. 1.

Prelight: This was a big toro (6x58? gotta get that sizer) wrapped nicely in a oily, leathery sun grown or dark natural wrapper. It felt great in the hand, and when clipped had an excellent cold draw, with detectible sweetness.

Burn: outstanding -- straight, true, and slow. This stick lasted nearly two hours, producing a firm white ash that tipped in 2" chunks.

Flavor: great! There was no pepper or harshness at all upon lighting. I got some sweet bread flavors at first, very smoooooth. The smoke was cool and delicious throughout, with a sweetness at the core. As I progressed through the cigar, I found some notes of lemon, then vanilla, then a flavor that I swear tasted like cake, then more vanilla, tinged with some amaretto. Very flavorful, but light to medium in body.

Overall: Although I'm generally a fan of fuller bodied fare, I really enjoyed this stick because it had lots of flavors and complexity. I've never had a Taboo before, but based upon the reviews I've seen, I'm wondering whether this might have been my first.

Ted?

This concludes my BTT sampler, and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the experience. Smoking an unlabeled cigar allowed me to focus on flavors and the smoking experience. I'll do this again for sure!

Thanks, Ted, for providing such an excellent and varied selection of smokes.

BlackIrish

BlackIrish
10-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Ted, now that I've finished smoking my sampler, please put me back on the offering up list.

BlackIrish

tedrodgerscpa
10-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Hey, all. Smoked the last of TedRdogersCPA's BTT pack, which was cigar no. 1.

Overall: Although I'm generally a fan of fuller bodied fare, I really enjoyed this stick because it had lots of flavors and complexity. I've never had a Taboo before, but based upon the reviews I've seen, I'm wondering whether this might have been my first.

Ted?

"I haven't had one, but I think it's a Taboo"

BlackIrish, that was wicked.

You smoked a Taboo HSG (Habano Sun Grown).

That's so sick...

"I haven't had one, but I think it's a Taboo"...

Sick, sick, sick...

Well done, brother.

tedrodgerscpa
10-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
tedrodgerscpa-->BlackIrish--received--DONE
ir13-->_mo--received
walleyedad1-->jjirons69
Padron42-->hurricane6
tedrodgerscpa-->IndyRob

Offering Up
hurricane6
renton20
BlackIrish

Waiting List
tedrodgerscpa
renton20

tedrodgerscpa
10-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Ted will be sending to IndyRob

BlackIrish
10-08-2008, 11:18 AM
"I haven't had one, but I think it's a Taboo"

BlackIrish, that was wicked.

You smoked a Taboo HSG (Habano Sun Grown).

That's so sick...

"I haven't had one, but I think it's a Taboo"...

Sick, sick, sick...

Well done, brother.

Usually I'm called "sick" in a much less complimentary way.

Thanks, Ted, for an outstanding BTT experience and for stepping in to revive the BTT. This is one of the best things about ClubStogie.

CigarGuyinOTown
10-08-2008, 03:19 PM
Fresh noob here, and I'd like to partake :tu

Could you add me to the waiting list?

ky toker
10-08-2008, 05:29 PM
I know I'm not on the list, but incoming PM .

tedrodgerscpa
10-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
ir13-->_mo--received
walleyedad1-->jjirons69
Padron42-->hurricane6
kytoker-->IndyRob

Offering Up
hurricane6
tedrodgerscpa
renton20
BlackIrish

Waiting List
tedrodgerscpa
renton20
CigarGuyinOTown

tedrodgerscpa
10-09-2008, 01:51 PM
There was a little switcheroo between tedrodgerscpa and kytoker... Ken wanted to take my place and send to IndyRob, so I gave it up gladly and put myself back up on the 'offering up' list.

Since tedrodgerscpa just did a BTT with Hurricane6, someone behind me will need to PM hurricane to get a BTT going with him... Based on the list, that should be renton20

CigarGuyinOTown, why don't you PM me for a BTT trade?

Then, I'll probably hit up BlackIrish... I wanna see what he has in store for me.

So, since I'm the list keeper, here's what I'm suggesting...

renton20 should PM hurricane6
CigarGuyInOTown should PM tedrodgerscpa
tedrodgerscpa should PM BlackIrish

Ready?

Set...

PM!

ky toker
10-10-2008, 01:26 PM
There was a little switcheroo between tedrodgerscpa and kytoker... Ken wanted to take my place and send to IndyRob, so I gave it up gladly and put myself back up on the 'offering up' list.

The cigars are out making their trip. Rob, can't wait to see how you like or dislike these cigars. I put one in there I thought might be a bit tricky. If you can snap a photo of them so it any labels fall off I can always identify them.

hurricane6
10-12-2008, 11:04 PM
I'll be sending a BTT to Josh(renton20) towards the end of the week when I get back in town.

Biglizard1
10-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Mr. Ed,
Just completed one more stick from the pass, one left and hope to have it done by tommorow night.

On to the review,
First impression of this cigar had me concerned, it smelled funny, almost barnyard like but not quite, weird I know but it truly had me scared and put it of for a while,
Stick was well constructed must have been about a 46-48 RG and maybe 4.5-5 long, wrapper a natural apearance with some little green colored spots on this whole cigar. Cut was a straight cut with the palio and off to the predraw, Whoa,,,, sweet like sugar on my tounge, believe it or not familiar though... started off a little slow lighting this little stick it was hard to start, but after 1-2 minutes of pressured gas it was off and going.. I am going out here cause I swear I've had one before, reminded me of my first box purchase and I did enjoy this stick for a welcome change. the smoke was fun and tasty and really, really reminded me of a Garcia Vega Crystals Natural. Am I close? Did I get a phony? I dont know. It was a welcome change of pace, thank you again! David

Biglizard1
10-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Double tap

IndyRob
10-13-2008, 11:29 AM
The cigars are out making their trip. Rob, can't wait to see how you like or dislike these cigars. I put one in there I thought might be a bit tricky. If you can snap a photo of them so it any labels fall off I can always identify them.

Will do! Considering I'm a complete superNoob... I'm guessing they'll all be tricky to me! I'm looking forward to it though. It's going to sort of force me to sit down and focus on the smoke itself.

Mr. Ed
10-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Mr. Ed,
Just completed one more stick from the pass, one left and hope to have it done by tommorow night.

On to the review,
First impression of this cigar had me concerned, it smelled funny, almost barnyard like but not quite, weird I know but it truly had me scared and put it of for a while,
Stick was well constructed must have been about a 46-48 RG and maybe 4.5-5 long, wrapper a natural apearance with some little green colored spots on this whole cigar. Cut was a straight cut with the palio and off to the predraw, Whoa,,,, sweet like sugar on my tounge, believe it or not familiar though... started off a little slow lighting this little stick it was hard to start, but after 1-2 minutes of pressured gas it was off and going.. I am going out here cause I swear I've had one before, reminded me of my first box purchase and I did enjoy this stick for a welcome change. the smoke was fun and tasty and really, really reminded me of a Garcia Vega Crystals Natural. Am I close? Did I get a phony? I dont know. It was a welcome change of pace, thank you again! David
I'm going to guess that this was cigar B? Anyways, it sounds like you had the Flor de Oliva Corona, David.

I think that for what this stick is (a bundle of 25 for ~$30) it sure as hell gets the job done. I give these out to people all the time and usually get a pretty good reaction. Great cheapie here! i like the ones with the corojo wrappers a little more (they're actually about $5 more expensive), but I've tried the whole line and they are good for a less than $2 cigar.

ky toker
10-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Will do! Considering I'm a complete superNoob... I'm guessing they'll all be tricky to me! I'm looking forward to it though. It's going to sort of force me to sit down and focus on the smoke itself.
Feel free to smoke which ever order you need according to your time.

Mr. Ed
10-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Sorry for the delay Marcus, I'll have the final review up tommorrow. :tu

Beer Doctor
10-14-2008, 12:40 AM
Sorry for the delay Marcus, I'll have the final review up tommorrow. :tu

No worries...I still got one more of yours left:ss

jjirons69
10-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Theodore, I have received Walleyedad1's smokes and will be proceeding down the trail to guesstimation soon.

They look great, Kris! Remember, the premise is to send 1 rocket, not all of them!! :D

tedrodgerscpa
10-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
ir13-->_mo--received
walleyedad1-->jjirons69--received
Padron42-->hurricane6
kytoker-->IndyRob
hurricane6-->renton20

Offering Up
tedrodgerscpa
renton20
BlackIrish

Waiting List
tedrodgerscpa
CigarGuyinOTown

Mr. Ed
10-14-2008, 09:13 PM
This was the final cigar from Marcus (Beer Doctor)

Initial Impressions: This was a toro sized cigar. Had a nice reddish-brown wrapper that was very smooth, but had a few spots here and there.

Pictures:

[/URL]

(http://img264.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn1019xq6.jpg)

(http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn1021ie1.jpg)

(http://img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn1023cp5.jpg)

[URL=http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn1025sh0.jpg]

Smoking: Perfect draw on this cigar no plugs whatsoever. The burn was very even although a bit hot at spots, it still burned cool on the whole and didn't have any overheating issues. Nice firm white ash that stayed on until I ashed it. Wrapper was applied well, no unraveling or cracking. Great Construction on this smoke!

Taste: This was a medium-bodied cigar that was smooth all the way down to the nub. It started out with a nice medium tobacco taste that was kind of dry and "woody" and had a very mild sweetness to it. The finish was mild and did not stay on the palate for a long time. The cigar then developed a fuller sweetness to compliment that "woody" taste and also had some floral taste to it. The finish became more full and stayed on the palate longer as the smoke continued. There was also some spice towards the end. A mild tobacco aroma came off of this cigar while smoking.

Conclusion: Very good cigar here. Great taste and construction, the only issue was that it burned a little hot at some spots. This has been my second favorite cigar of this BTT following the RP Vintage.

Mr. Ed
10-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Ted,

Beer Doctor ==> Mr. Ed is done! Thanks!

Thank you Marcus for the nice smokes! :tu

Beer Doctor
10-14-2008, 11:21 PM
This was the final cigar from Marcus (Beer Doctor)

Initial Impressions: This was a toro sized cigar. Had a nice reddish-brown wrapper that was very smooth, but had a few spots here and there.

Smoking: Perfect draw on this cigar no plugs whatsoever. The burn was very even although a bit hot at spots, it still burned cool on the whole and didn't have any overheating issues. Nice firm white ash that stayed on until I ashed it. Wrapper was applied well, no unraveling or cracking. Great Construction on this smoke!

Taste: This was a medium-bodied cigar that was smooth all the way down to the nub. It started out with a nice medium tobacco taste that was kind of dry and "woody" and had a very mild sweetness to it. The finish was mild and did not stay on the palate for a long time. The cigar then developed a fuller sweetness to compliment that "woody" taste and also had some floral taste to it. The finish became more full and stayed on the palate longer as the smoke continued. There was also some spice towards the end. A mild tobacco aroma came off of this cigar while smoking.

Conclusion: Very good cigar here. Great taste and construction, the only issue was that it burned a little hot at some spots. This has been my second favorite cigar of this BTT following the RP Vintage.

:r...This was your DOG ROCKET! I'm glad you liked it. I didn't have any bundle smokes or anything I considered a dog rocket so I went to the local tobacco shop (cigs+beer with humidor shop) and dropped around $1-2 for this beauty. This was a Quorum. You can buy a bundle of 20 for 16.95 at Atlantic. Glad you liked it:tu

From Pearlman's:
Wrapper: Nicaragua Binder: Nicaragua Filler: Nicaragua.
Handmade, with mixed filler, in Esteli, Nicaragua.
It offers a medium-to-full bodied taste in value-priced bundles of 20.

Mr. Ed
10-14-2008, 11:29 PM
:r...This was your DOG ROCKET! I'm glad you liked it. I didn't have any bundle smokes or anything I considered a dog rocket so I went to the local tobacco shop (cigs+beer with humidor shop) and dropped around $1-2 for this beauty. This was a Quorum. You can buy a bundle of 20 for 16.95 at Atlantic. Glad you liked it:tu

From Pearlman's:
Wrapper: Nicaragua Binder: Nicaragua Filler: Nicaragua.
Handmade, with mixed filler, in Esteli, Nicaragua.
It offers a medium-to-full bodied taste in value-priced bundles of 20.

:hn:hn:hn:hn:hn:hn:hn:hn

tedrodgerscpa
10-15-2008, 10:57 AM
PLEASE READ

It is with heavy heart that I regretfully must withdraw my name from the BTT listing. Nearly all of my oblications to and from the list have been completed.

The list is quite easy to keep up, cause even I could do it... I've made the decision, after careful meditation, and am now directing my energies to another home.

You can PM me for details, if you wish.

Below this line, you'll find the latest and greatest update.

Peace and love to my brothers... Ted

----------------------------------------------

Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
Beer Doctor-->Mr. Ed--received--DONE
ir13-->_mo--received
Padron42-->hurricane6
kytoker-->IndyRob
hurricane6-->renton20

Offering Up
renton20
BlackIrish

Waiting List
CigarGuyinOTown

BlackIrish
10-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Folks, a number of circumstances out of my control require, regrettably, that I too have to withdraw my offer. I'd previously offered up and don't have any outstanding obligations.

The revised list is below.

Be well.

BlackIrish

----------------------------------------------

Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
Beer Doctor-->Mr. Ed--received--DONE
ir13-->_mo--received
Padron42-->hurricane6
kytoker-->IndyRob
hurricane6-->renton20

Offering Up
renton20

Waiting List
CigarGuyinOTown

AD720
10-16-2008, 11:29 AM
:tpd: Ditto.

renton20
10-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Please remove me from this as well.

Padron42
10-18-2008, 09:42 PM
I smoked stick 3 from Gophernut's sticks.

This one was world's better. It was a beautiful maduro box pressed torpedo, which I have only seen a number of times. I clipped it and lit it up and boy did it start out nice. Both the flavor and the draw were great right off the bat. The flavor was a creamy/nutty type flavor, sort of a fuente-ish flavor. The flavor was incredible and remained that way throughout the stick, as did the draw. I nubbed it til it burned my fingers, and hope to have more of these soon, so hopefully this was cheap.

Thanks a million for this great stick, I'm excited to see what it is.

jjirons69
10-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Just to update the list so this doesn't die. I smoked Walleyedad1's #2 stick this weekend and will post details tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone willing to take over the helm on the BTT/PIF II thread, just speak up and take off with it.

Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
ir13-->_mo--received
Padron42-->hurricane6
kytoker-->IndyRob
hurricane6-->renton20

Offering Up

Waiting List
CigarGuyinOTown

_mo
10-21-2008, 12:48 PM
The cigars that Joey (ir13) sent deserve more then this effort, but I have been traveling for the past few weeks for work and there is no end in sight.. I wanted to post these reviews/guesses before I forgot.. not sure if Joey is still active on these boards or not.

#1 - really tight draw, harsh / burnt pepper..didn't enjoy this one very much, couldn't finish.. my guess would be a machine made, no idea.. 2/10

#3 - I enjoyed this one on on Saturday.. on a crisp, fall day on the golf course.. tasted the familiar cc twang, but I'm not sure that I recognized the distinct taste, so I'll have to guess one I've never tried..a PSD4?.. I will pick up a box of these if I find out what they were.. and if it was a cheap-o.. i'll pick up 3 boxes.. 9/10

#5 - great mild, woodsy taste.. perfect draw, great burn and plenty of smoke... enjoyed it on a hotel balcony with a couple bottles of anchorsteam.. my guess would be aged bolivar pc.. 7/10

Mr. Ed
10-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Just to update the list so this doesn't die. I smoked Walleyedad1's #2 stick this weekend and will post details tonight or tomorrow.

Anyone willing to take over the helm on the BTT/PIF II thread, just speak up and take off with it.

Updated list

cman78--> Dan--received
ir13-->_mo--received
Padron42-->hurricane6
kytoker-->IndyRob
hurricane6-->renton20

Offering Up

Waiting List
CigarGuyinOTown

Mr. Ed ---> Beer Doctor is done :tu

jjirons69
10-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Walleyedad1 (Kris) set me up with 4 unbanded sticks. Here’s #2:

I enjoyed this stick at a BBQ festival and was not able to take any pictures.

Size: 5 1/8 x 42 or 43
Profile: Color looks to be dark, but not maduro, maybe sungrown or Ecuadorian. The smell is unremarkable and the construction is solid.
Initial: The draw was good. Not too loose or not too tight. The burn was solid and straight. The flavor was unremarkable, more on the tobacco side. It wasn’t really sweet or dry. There was very little spice, if any. The taste was decent but nothing to write home about. Ash was grayish-white.
2nd third: Still burning good. Still no remarkable favors other than tobacco and maybe a little leather. No detectable spice. Good amounts of smoke.
3rd third: Much like the 2nd third. Some spice started to sneak in. The burn wasn’t harsh or hot. The stick smoked well, but not a lot of flavor to speak of.

All in all, I would say I wasn’t too wowed by this stick. It was a tobacco-flavored smoke and not many other detectable flavors. Possible there was a little spice at the end and some leather in the middle. I wouldn’t actively seek these sticks out for purchase, but it wasn’t a bad smoke.

My guess is Indian Tabac natural.

Gophernut
10-22-2008, 01:29 PM
I smoked stick 3 from Gophernut's sticks.

This one was world's better. It was a beautiful maduro box pressed torpedo, which I have only seen a number of times. I clipped it and lit it up and boy did it start out nice. Both the flavor and the draw were great right off the bat. The flavor was a creamy/nutty type flavor, sort of a fuente-ish flavor. The flavor was incredible and remained that way throughout the stick, as did the draw. I nubbed it til it burned my fingers, and hope to have more of these soon, so hopefully this was cheap.

Thanks a million for this great stick, I'm excited to see what it is.
It was an Aristoff Box-pressed Maduro Piramide. Got a box of 20 for $42 on Cbid! Glad you enjoyed this one. I enjoy these as well. They definitely do better with some down time.

jjirons69
10-22-2008, 02:26 PM
It was an Aristoff Box-pressed Maduro Piramide. Got a box of 20 for $42 on Cbid! Glad you enjoyed this one. I enjoy these as well. They definitely do better with some down time.

You guys really have me foaming at the mouth now. I love maduros and have wondering about this stick for a while. It's reasonably priced and looks pretty good. After reading all this, I'll definitely have to give these guys a try.

Thanks!

hurricane6
10-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Got my BTT from padron(Gary). I'll start posting reviews once they have a little rest!

Padron42
10-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Got my BTT from padron(Gary). I'll start posting reviews once they have a little rest!

glad they got there safe. enjoy

hurricane6
11-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Finally got a break from work and sat down to enjoy #4 from padron42(Gary).
I paired this one with a nice cup of black coffee.
This was a corona size, 5 1/2 x 44. It felt solid and had a slightly rough construction with a flat cap. I tried to punch, but ended up using my Palio. The clipped end immediately started to unravel(my fault for dry boxing). A little saliva and it was good to go.The initial puffs produced a heavy woody flavor. The draw was excellent and lots of white smoke! There was a strong zestiness thru the nose. It mellowed a tad and had a consistent woody taste with a very minimal sweet note here and there. Not much change thru out, but it did pick up a sour/bittertaste past the halfway mark.
Overall- not much going on with this one, consistent minus the bitter taste.
nice good burn with no touch ups required. a solid flavor of wood from start to finish. I have no guess on this one, but IMHO I would give this cigar the 'low end' guess.
I was disappointed with cigar #4 so I got a fresh cup of coffee and grabbed #5. This was a robusto 5x50, with a solid construction and a triple cap(?)
The first few puffs were smooth with a touch of floral and a hint of spice thru the nose. This seemed to be straightforward with spice and floral notes. It did become stronger-more full bodied as I continued on. Past 1/2 way and the spice picked up considerably and kept getting stronger and the floral became only hints of flavor. This one ended on a very strong note-which I really enjoyed.
Overall- not too complex, but I enjoyed #5 alot. The flavors were good and consistent. started off medium and ended nicely.
The 2 cigars that came to mind while smoking this one were- LFD and Esencia. Both of which I really enjoy.
Thanks Gary!!! I'll get some more reviews out soon!

Padron42
11-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Finally got a break from work and sat down to enjoy #4 from padron42(Gary).
I paired this one with a nice cup of black coffee.
This was a corona size, 5 1/2 x 44. It felt solid and had a slightly rough construction with a flat cap. I tried to punch, but ended up using my Palio. The clipped end immediately started to unravel(my fault for dry boxing). A little saliva and it was good to go.The initial puffs produced a heavy woody flavor. The draw was excellent and lots of white smoke! There was a strong zestiness thru the nose. It mellowed a tad and had a consistent woody taste with a very minimal sweet note here and there. Not much change thru out, but it did pick up a sour/bittertaste past the halfway mark.
Overall- not much going on with this one, consistent minus the bitter taste.
nice good burn with no touch ups required. a solid flavor of wood from start to finish. I have no guess on this one, but IMHO I would give this cigar the 'low end' guess.
I was disappointed with cigar #4 so I got a fresh cup of coffee and grabbed #5. This was a robusto 5x50, with a solid construction and a triple cap(?)
The first few puffs were smooth with a touch of floral and a hint of spice thru the nose. This seemed to be straightforward with spice and floral notes. It did become stronger-more full bodied as I continued on. Past 1/2 way and the spice picked up considerably and kept getting stronger and the floral became only hints of flavor. This one ended on a very strong note-which I really enjoyed.
Overall- not too complex, but I enjoyed #5 alot. The flavors were good and consistent. started off medium and ended nicely.
The 2 cigars that came to mind while smoking this one were- LFD and Esencia. Both of which I really enjoy.
Thanks Gary!!! I'll get some more reviews out soon!

I'm glad you enjoyed number five, and sorry you didn't enjoy number four as much. Number 4 was a Padron Londres (maduro), which is one of my go-to smokes...I dont know if you just got a bad one or if we have different tastes but that's what makes the btt fun. Number 5 was a Diamond Crown Maximus. I love those, and am glad you enjoyed it too.

Oh and PS...I just smoked one of gophernuts...I'll post the review in a minute

hurricane6
11-02-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed number five, and sorry you didn't enjoy number four as much. Number 4 was a Padron Londres (maduro), which is one of my go-to smokes...I dont know if you just got a bad one or if we have different tastes but that's what makes the btt fun. Number 5 was a Diamond Crown Maximus. I love those, and am glad you enjoyed it too.

Oh and PS...I just smoked one of gophernuts...I'll post the review in a minute

I've never had any luck with the Padrons(x000 or londres) for some reason.
Funny about the DCM was Ted sent one to me a while back in a BTT and I gave it an unfavorable review! This one(now that I know what it is) blew me away. I haven't had one like that before! Thanks again!!:tu

Padron42
11-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I've never had any luck with the Padrons(x000 or londres) for some reason.
Funny about the DCM was Ted sent one to me a while back in a BTT and I gave it an unfavorable review! This one(now that I know what it is) blew me away. I haven't had one like that before! Thanks again!!:tu

Haha, that is pretty funny about the DCM. Ok, here's my review for stick number 1 from Gophernut.

The appearance was great. Great construction, pretty dark cigar with a nice looking wrapper. I'd say it was around 6 inches long with a RG around 55 maybe. I lit it up and it had a nice woody flavor (not sure if that's right, its the only adjective I could think up). this flavor stayed pretty much throughout, although it was much stronger in the middle and seemed to mellow out towards the end. It burned nicely and the draw was decent. Overall it was an enjoyable cigar, and it would have been a very good cigar if the draw had been a touch better. If I had to guess on this one I'd say a Rocky Patel of some sort, since that's what the flavor reminded me of. Maybe a vintage 90 or 92? I'm looking forward to finding out. Thanks again...I'll be reviewing the last one in a day or two.

Gophernut
11-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Haha, that is pretty funny about the DCM. Ok, here's my review for stick number 1 from Gophernut.

The appearance was great. Great construction, pretty dark cigar with a nice looking wrapper. I'd say it was around 6 inches long with a RG around 55 maybe. I lit it up and it had a nice woody flavor (not sure if that's right, its the only adjective I could think up). this flavor stayed pretty much throughout, although it was much stronger in the middle and seemed to mellow out towards the end. It burned nicely and the draw was decent. Overall it was an enjoyable cigar, and it would have been a very good cigar if the draw had been a touch better. If I had to guess on this one I'd say a Rocky Patel of some sort, since that's what the flavor reminded me of. Maybe a vintage 90 or 92? I'm looking forward to finding out. Thanks again...I'll be reviewing the last one in a day or two.
That was a Gurkha Fuerte XO. It was the first Gurkha I ever smoked, and really like them.

Padron42
11-05-2008, 08:37 PM
That was a Gurkha Fuerte XO. It was the first Gurkha I ever smoked, and really like them.

Wow...I used to love gurkhas but got tired of them and Rocky Patels for a while because that was all I was smoking. I may have to get back on the horse though that was pretty good. It's funny that I confused it with the other cigar I got tired of around the same time.

walleyedad1
11-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey jjirons69 sorry for the delay , You smoked a SANCHO PANZA(extra fuerte cordoba) I feel the same about them, though it had alot of spice through the nose to me. Not my favorite either. I will bet you will like at least one of the for DOGS i sent you :r .

hurricane6
11-06-2008, 07:07 PM
#3 from padron42
6x44 nicely constructed cigar. I initially punched it but the draw was a little tight so I clipped it with my Palio. First thing I noticed was a VERY nice aroma as I toasted the foot. A pleasant sweet tobacco smell. After letting it sit for a minute or the first few puffs immediately made me think of a Pepin-strong on the spice and earthy notes. After about an inch and a half it mellowed considerably and after about 2 inches it mellowed to the point where the flavors seem to completely dissappear:confused:, very odd, I've never experienced this before. I'll also note I paired this with a Sam Adams winter lager(bad decision on my part-they didn't compliment each other very well). Right at the halfway mark, the flavors erupted on my tongue! Great spice and strong woody and earthy notes. I could pick up on a tick of sweetness here and there, but for the most part it continued on the strong, full bodied note. Towards the end , the spice became a very dominate flavor, so much so that it tingled across my tongue and thru my nose. I nubbed this one to a finger burn!!!
Overall-except for the 'dead' spot, this cigar really did me right. I enjoyed the spice and earthy notes. The finish was amazing. I will definitely pick a different drink to pair with this next time I smoke it.
I'm going out on a limb with this guess and say it was a Pepin-maybe a red label!? Surprise me Gary-what was this wonderful cigar!!!???

hurricane6
11-07-2008, 07:00 PM
#2 from padron 42
torp about 6 1/4 " and around a 50-ish rg.
I smoke this one on my travels home from working out of town. I clipped with my Palio and toasted the foot. It gave off a hay/grass aroma. The draw was very loose, but quickly tightened up after a few puffs. Initial tastes were zesty/earthy. the cigar was of solid and impressive construction. the ash held for the first 1 1/2" before falling into my lap(doh!) after that it started to canoe. since I was driving I did no touch ups and it corrected itself right at the halway point. Flavors up to the halfway mark were cedary zest with nice woody/earthy undertones. The zest turned to full out spice and continued to the last third where it picked up a complimentary floral note. It finished on a strong spicey note with a great floral undertone. I nubbed this one to another finger burn and enjoyed it very much. This cigar had flavors I've experienced before and had me thinking I've smoked this many times before, but at the same time it kept me wondering-what the heck is this? A great cigar I can only hope is readily available and cheap!!! a far fetched
uneducated guess would be a 5 vegas miami!? Thanks Brother!! 1 more to go.:tu

hurricane6
11-09-2008, 08:29 PM
#1 from padron 42
Last review.
This was a maduro(?) torp abot 6x 52(ish)
I grabbed a cup of coffee and headed to the deck after church to fire this one up. Excellent construction, except for a soft spot near the head. I clipped and toasted. I noticed a very pleasant aroma as I toasted and can't quite describe it, but it was nice. Initially it had a mild spice with some nutty and sweetness to it. The ash was loose and flakey and didn't hold but about an inch at a time. After about 2" it was a medium body with some nice cedary notes, the spice took a backseat and I also picked up on something that I would put in the same category as the aroma-nice. To this point I still don't have the word(s) to describe it. Just past halfway, the cigar seemed to take a downward turn, I picked up on a bitter taste-not prominent, but in there. At the same time I noticed the aroma that was so nice had turned as well. The burn was great and required no touch ups and there was still copious amounts of smoke. I purged it and the bitterness waned. Up to this point the finish was short and sweet, but along with the rest of the cigar this also began to go bad. The after taste it was leaving in my mouth influenced the taste of my coffee considerably-not in a good way. I really didn't know what to think at this point. I kept smoking and to my relief the flavors did pick up at the last third. The bad parts of the cigar seemed to go away as I took this one to the home stretch. It finished on a good note-cedary, spicey and nutty. Again there was that one flavor I can't pinpoint.
Overall-this was a good cigar with a bad spot in it IMHO. I would try this again to see if the experiance was a fluke or not. As for a guess-I don't know!!
Padron42- thanks for the great BTT. It was a great learning experiance and I enjoyed it.!!!:tu

jjirons69
11-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey jjirons69 sorry for the delay , You smoked a SANCHO PANZA(extra fuerte cordoba) I feel the same about them, though it had alot of spice through the nose to me. Not my favorite either. I will bet you will like at least one of the for DOGS i sent you :r .

Thanks, Kris. Never had one until your offer. Now, on to the next rocket!

IndyRob
11-11-2008, 09:34 AM
can I please be added to the offering list. I will post my "review" tonight. Sorry about the latency, its been hard for me to find the time to sit down and actually take in a cigar! I just hope I still have my notes!

BD Strummer
11-13-2008, 05:36 PM
I apologize for the delay in getting this posted, bu t I've been a bit pre-occupied.

Anyway, I had me a ChasDen "B" for my second BTT stick. It was a 4 3/4 x 52 stick with a dark wrapper and prominent veins. It had somewhat of a flora smell to it and had a nice pre-light draw to it. It did have a sweet taste to the pre-light draw.

The first 1/3 started off with a light tobacco taste with hints of cedar. It did not produce much smoke at this point and started to have a bit of an uneven burn. Occasional hint of nuttiness.

The burn problem persisted for a while because of this big black mass just into the foot of the stick. After I powered through it the burn problem went away. I found this very odd as I had never seen this before.

In the send 1/3, a mild leather taste makes an appearance and occasional grassy tastes. However, the stick retained the main flavor from the first 1/3 throughout.

This stick had a really slow burn and I only had to relight once at about 3/4 inch into it.

Overall, the stick was medium bodied with a consistent flavor all the way through. In the end, I think I'm indifferent. I wouldn't search these out to buy a box or anything, but I did enjoy it.

Thanks, Chuck! So, what did i smoke? I haven't a clue.

BD Strummer
11-13-2008, 05:48 PM
For my next stick, I chose the ChasDen "A". A 5 x 50 stick with a veiny, light wrapper. From looking of the foot of the stick, it had a slightly loose pack to it. The Pre-light draw had a sweet, grassy taste.

The first 1/3 was earthy with slight wood tones. I couldn't quite decide between oak or cedar. I guess my palate isn't developed enough for that, yet.It was mild to medium bodied.

In the second 1/3, the wood taste became stronger, along with a tea leaf flavor and a touch of leather. The stick is now definitely medium bodied, rather than mild toward the end of the second 1/3.

This stick had a string white ash all way through. I may have ashed three time, total. I liked this one and would probably have this as a morning smoke along with some hot cocoa.

So Chuck, what did I smoke this time?

jjirons69
11-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Here's #3 from Walleyedad1.

Took out #3 from it's single baggie. Got an instance rush of barnyard. Mega blast! I sniffed it up close...whew. Either it sat in it's single baggie for 1.5 months wanting to breathe or it was roller by a farmer!

Size: 6.5 x 48 or 50
Shape: torpedo, beautiful box-pressed, much like a RP Vintage
Construction: near perfect, no big viens, smooth and silky
Smell: bear's ass

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/11/18/p_1985273_0.jpg

http://imagestore.puff.com/2008/11/18/p_1985273_1.jpg

The draw was very good. and it lit well.

1st: The first inch or so was very spicy to my maduro-loving taste buds. Nasal exhales were a little too much for me. The burn was very good. The smoke still smelled a little of barnyard, but not too bad. A swirl in the mouth was tobacco with a little bitter cocoa, plus the spice. Not too bad. Maybe a medium to full smoke.

2nd: The spice calmed down a lot. Still didn't like the nasal exhales. The burn stayed tight and the ash held well. The barnyard smell was still around, as was the bittersweet flavors with tobacco.

Last: The spice came back, as well as the strength tightening up. Full smoke with spice. Still burned well the entire time. No touchups. Put her down with about an inch to go. The spice flavor was a little much for me.

All in all, spicy, medium to full, with a good burn. Flavors were the constant barnyard smell, with bitter cocoa. I thought the construction was great. Not my kind of smoke though. Funny thing, when I went inside afterwards, I could still smell the initial bear's ass smell on my fingers. It was more dominate than the tobacco smell.

What did I have...I looked up the size trying to cheat and couldn't find anything I thought it may be. Thought maybe an LFD, maybe a RP Edge, don't really know. So Kris, what was it!?

ky toker
11-21-2008, 10:26 AM
I will post my "review" tonight.
Any luck there, Rob? :bl

walleyedad1
11-22-2008, 11:24 PM
jjirons69 your killin me, I love these sticks it was a (carlos torano exodus 1959 torpedo). dude I know it can time to time have a little barnyard but BEAR'S ASS, come on. at the very most maybe a boars balls taste, nice picture by the way:tu

jjirons69
11-25-2008, 10:19 AM
jjirons69 your killin me, I love these sticks it was a (carlos torano exodus 1959 torpedo). dude I know it can time to time have a little barnyard but BEAR'S ASS, come on. at the very most maybe a boars balls taste, nice picture by the way:tu

Damn it! I have half a box of '59 robustos left. Maybe it was the size. I have a feeling it was the inability to breathe, being closed in the single ziplock so long. I opened the other 2 so they could breathe. Seems this one had more spice than what I'm used to getting from them. These dang BTT trick me all the time.

walleyedad1
11-25-2008, 11:24 PM
I'll be waiting for your thoughts on the others, :tu,

walleyedad1
11-25-2008, 11:31 PM
I just took all of my sticks out of their plastic bags so it dont happen to mine. That might of been the problem, anyone have a :2 worth of what the heck went wrong with the stick. :confused:

Padron42
11-26-2008, 03:39 AM
Hurricane.....very sorry about the long delay here. I've been really sick the last couple of weeks and haven't been able to smoke, so I haven't gotten on here either because it always makes me want to smoke haha. I am away from my home right now for the rest of the week so I don't have my sheet with the cigars on them with me. I can definitely tell you that the skinny one you smoked, #3....was an Ashton VSG. I love those and it looked like you did as well. I could guess at the other two but I'll let you know for sure when I get back. Sorry for the delay, and I'm going to copy this and PM it to you as well since it's been so long.

IndyRob
12-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Can I be added to the offering list plz? Sorry - I haven't been around much lately.

ky toker
12-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Can I be added to the offering list plz? Sorry - I haven't been around much lately.
Rob, are you going to post the blind reviews :confused:

ky toker
12-29-2008, 11:57 AM
WTF, seriously :confused: This is the second time I've sent cigars to someone for a BTT and for their end to never be completed. :BS