Humidor Cabinet Build - Page 9 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 153 Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Re: Humidor Cabinet Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWiebe View Post
It really doesn't matter. But it's far easier to install them in the box at the bottom.
Ok, just wanted to make sure it didn't matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 153 Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Alright Litter Mates-

Here is what I got, from what I had seen elsewhere on puff, this should work fine. Just making sure because the colored crystals are greenish blue, not blue. [ATTACH=CONFIG]74114[/ATTACH]

Still no SC to line with... I'm hoping it ships soon, I'm dying to finish it off and load it up! I've also been trying to figure out the best way to do the Litter box hanging off the back of the cabinet. The back is fiberboard, so I don't feel really confident about attaching it to that. I thought about putting legs on it so it is a stand alone box adhered to the back of the cabinet, but they might expand/contract and different rates and slowly break the seal(maybe that wouldn't be an issue, I just don't know enough). I don't really like the idea of having it inset too much into the cabinet, it would take up usable room for cigars, and I could do the same with empty boxes filled with litter. I probably need to play with the litter some ink:and see in terms of the width of the cabinet, what the height and depth would need to be for the litter and air circulation.
post #83 of 153 Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

As for the cell phone charger to power the two fans, I found 2 I can use, can someone with electrical experience give me some advice?

Either Output 5v 700mA or Output 5v 850 mA?

The two fans are 80mm Masscool fans: Newegg.com - MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Case Cooling Fan

post #84 of 153 Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Chicken of the Sea

The fans are 12 Volts DC. Your transformers are 5 VDC. Is there a reason for that ?

All I can say is do not use any transformer that is 12VAC ( AC ) Find a 12VDC transformer. They are pretty common. Anything 12VDC / 500 ma should be fine.

If someone "underdrives" them @ 5VDC maybe they will just run slower. Maybe that's what you want, I don't know.
But that's a Computer Case fan and they run on 12VDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedrick83 View Post
As for the cell phone charger to power the two fans, I found 2 I can use, can someone with electrical experience give me some advice?

Either Output 5v 700mA or Output 5v 850 mA?

The two fans are 80mm Masscool fans: Newegg.com - MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Case Cooling Fan

Kitty Litter Convert #KL1245
post #85 of 153 Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo 440 View Post
The fans are 12 Volts DC. Your transformers are 5 VDC. Is there a reason for that ?

All I can say is do not use any transformer that is 12VAC ( AC ) Find a 12VDC transformer. They are pretty common. Anything 12VDC / 500 ma should be fine.

If someone "underdrives" them @ 5VDC maybe they will just run slower. Maybe that's what you want, I don't know.
But that's a Computer Case fan and they run on 12VDC.
I was just going through the old cell phone charges I had laying around. I should be able to get a 12v transformer Monday at a local electronics supply store.
post #86 of 153 Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Chicken of the Sea

More good news, Jesse. There are about 1200 reviews on that $3 fan on the link you provided. The first 7 said the fans are too loud. Then I stopped reading.

Kitty Litter Convert #KL1245
post #87 of 153 Old 12-29-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo 440 View Post
More good news, Jesse. There are about 1200 reviews on that $3 fan on the link you provided. The first 7 said the fans are too loud. Then I stopped reading.
The cabinet will be in my basement and the fans will be running on a timer (infrequently at that), so noise wasn't really my concern. If they end up too loud, I'll swap them out, that's not too complicated.
post #88 of 153 Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Maturing Puffer Fish

Looks fun
post #89 of 153 Old 12-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Pipe Carver

I would go get an adjustable adaptor so you can go from 5V to 9V to 12V which would adjust the sfan speed as you see fit. Or just buy a fanbus for a computer that lets you adjust the speeds as well.
post #90 of 153 Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Today's update-

Still waiting on the Spanish Cedar, called about the order today, they said they would check on it and call me right back(didn't happen). I've got the two fans wired and tested. I found a 12v adapter that I used, I figured since they will be on a timer, variable fan speed wasn't as important. As for Bondo's concern about noise, they are actually quite quiet.

New locks are on their way as well, once I get those in I'll post another picture of it with the new lock and door back on.

The lack of SC is killing me, I hope it comes soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
build, cabinet, gun, humidor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page