Tupperdor Help - Page 2 - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 04-14-2017, 05:37 AM
Just monkeyin' around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
On a similar but slightly different subject, why do 72% packs exist? Everyone here seems to recommend a 65 or 69 or an 85 for seasoning. What's the purpose of a 72? Coincidentally, I went to a local cigar lounge and the owner recommended that I use 72 in my humidor, which seemed odd, especially for a climate that's already on the humad side. I bought a bunch of 72's while I was at the shop and I'm now questioning whether it was a good move or if I will overhumidify
As you've discovered, 70% RH is still commonly quoted as the industry standard (though I'm given to believe it was originally only intended as an upper limit) and, as previously mentioned, Bovedas tend to run a few % below their rating in many wood humidors. You'll also find people, including some not-so-well-informed tobacconists, who hear the old 70/70 "rule" and mistakenly believe "if 70% is good, 72% must be even better".

Besides such not-so-optimal use with cigars, 72% Bovedas are also recommended for guitar case seasoning and woodwind reed storage.
UBC03 and Kidvegas like this.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 04-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Leading Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonista View Post
You'll also find people, including some not-so-well-informed tobacconists, who hear the old 70/70 "rule" and mistakenly believe "if 70% is good, 72% must be even better". .
They must not know there is an 84, that baby will do wonders LOL
post #13 of 23 Old 04-14-2017, 12:39 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn View Post
They must not know there is an 84, that baby will do wonders LOL
Yep a robusto will last you at least 4 hours and you'll only have to refill your lighter 3 times

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin

post #14 of 23 Old 04-14-2017, 12:47 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post
Yep a robusto will last you at least 4 hours and you'll only have to refill your lighter 3 times

Stop it...my sides are hurting!
UBC03 and Kidvegas like this.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
post #15 of 23 Old 04-18-2017, 11:00 AM
Full grown Puffer Fish

As mentioned in this thread, if it is a quality plastic container then the Boveda packs will be dead on. Patience is key if you plan on getting sucked into this world. Which as it turns out is pretty cool! Just read previous threads and ask questions. As you can tell by looking at who is posting on this site, the majority have years of experience. Feed off of their knowledge to determine your own path in the cigar world.

I planned on only keeping around 10 cigars at the most when I started this journey! At last count math is way off :frusty:
post #16 of 23 Old 04-18-2017, 02:50 PM
Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

I don't know if you have the means to do so, but if you wanted to test the integrity of your tupper, do the following:

Put all your cigars into quality ziploc bags (don't worry, they'll be fine for a couple days). Leave your 69% Bovedas in the tupper and throw the hygro in there overnight. This takes the unkown state of your cigars out of the equation and only tests your container.
curmudgeonista likes this.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
post #17 of 23 Old 04-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Seems as though the tupperadors are failing at a rate of 95%....or is it Pilot Error...stay tuned folks. My brains turned to mush around 4 minutes ago and I'm grateful for others answering to this thread...is that brain matter running out of my ears?

How often are you opening the container to check the humidity? If its a small tupperdore without a lot of sticks in it, taking off the lid could very quickly purge out all the humidity and leave the Tupperware at room RH.
post #18 of 23 Old 06-13-2017, 03:50 PM
Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras_oscar View Post
How often are you opening the container to check the humidity? If its a small tupperdore without a lot of sticks in it, taking off the lid could very quickly purge out all the humidity and leave the Tupperware at room RH.
This is something that I am concerned about as well. Being new to the game and buying cigars about twice a week, I tend to open my tupperdor fairly often (more than once per week). This is a fairly small tupper (3 litre) with about 15 sticks currently. How long would it take to get back to 65% RH?
post #19 of 23 Old 06-13-2017, 04:00 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankSD13 View Post
This is something that I am concerned about as well. Being new to the game and buying cigars about twice a week, I tend to open my tupperdor fairly often (more than once per week). This is a fairly small tupper (3 litre) with about 15 sticks currently. How long would it take to get back to 65% RH?
I'm not a tupperdor guy but if you just reach in and grab a cigar or toss in the ones you bought it should settle back fairly quickly..nothing to worry about..

It'll of course take longer if the new cigars don't have the same rh as your Tupperware.. Hint: they never do, give it a couple days.

Now if you take the top off and stare at em for ten minutes, like you're waiting for them to do a trick, it may take a day to get back to 65.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #20 of 23 Old 06-13-2017, 04:04 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankSD13 View Post

If you are opening the humi to eye F%$# the sticks, take a picture. If you're checking humidity, try getting a weather station with a remote sensor. I have 2 humidors and 2 remote sensors. The setup allows me to check the humidity as many times as I wish without ever opening the container. Gives me peace of mind and I open a lot less. I find I'm less interested in a spot shot and more in trends. 2 points fall in 1 day followed by 2 point rise the next day is probably related to ambient temp and no worries. 2 points in a day followed by 2 points the next day with no corresponding change in temp is cause for concern. ( you do know RH is temp dependent. don't you?) Here is the unit I chose: https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-10-8-Channel-Thermo-Hygrometer/dp/B00FX8ZGOO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1497380588&sr=8-6&keywords=ambient+weather+station
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page