What Say Ye!? Cutter Question - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-30-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Puffer Fish with some spikes

What Say Ye!? Cutter Question

I have been looking around for a cutter for some time and will most likely end up with a few(dang hobby!)

I found a lot of cutters in this style but have never read or heard anything about them before, I like the concept of having a straight and v cut on the same tool and the prices are generally pretty inexpensive. Does anyone have some inside knowledge of if these are worth a hoot? Seems to be a big design in Europe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	147025  

Alrightdriver likes this.

Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Til' your good is better and your better is best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-30-2017, 02:15 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Wish knew about those it looks cool. What brand? Where did you find that one? If you end up getting one let me know how out works out.
Personally I have a cc perfect cutter and a colibri v cutter and enjoy both. I like to use the v cutter on larger sticks and perfecto/torpedo's and the cc perfect on the rest.

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 Old 08-30-2017, 02:35 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

Are looking for a cutter to carry around or for home use?

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars

post #4 of 16 Old 08-30-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Are looking for a cutter to carry around or for home use?
This would be more for a talking piece and around the house/cabin cutter. I have several friends who smoke cigars so I thought it would be cool to have and show off.

While I think for the money it would be cool to have just for that fact, I hate buying things that are not functional. So even if it is a cool talking point or show piece I dont want to have a cutter that just sits and doesnt get used because it cuts cigars poorly.

There are a lot of different designs, they range from $20 to $100 depending on the materials, they are advertises as Dontaus and Solingen and are made in Germany, most of them are vintage but I have seen some current production models as well.

Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Til' your good is better and your better is best.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-30-2017, 02:48 PM
Director of Sarcasm

There is a great cigar cutter that you can buy from famous smokes that is called a quad cutter. It is stainless steel with four cuts... Two straight cuts and 2 V cuts and each one is smaller.... the other is bigger and you can find deals for around $40. I have one of these and it's one of the best tabletop cutters for the money.
Piper, Rondo and Hickorynut like this.

Last edited by Cigary; 08-31-2017 at 01:17 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-30-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
There is a great cigar cutter that you can buy from famous smokes that is called a quad cutter. It is stainless steel with for cuts... Two straight cuts and 2 V cuts and each one is smaller the other is bigger and you can find deals for around $40. I have one of these and it's one of the best tabletop cutters for the money.
I have looked at that a few times, I like the design and the concept at a table top cutter. At some point I will purchase a table top cutter of some sort, we have a cabin that's a total "guy" place where all our friends go to a weekend get away once a month and a deer camp once a year. It would be a perfect addition to the cabin as we smoke many cigars while we are there.
Cigary and Alrightdriver like this.

post #7 of 16 Old 08-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBjanderson View Post
I have been looking around for a cutter for some time and will most likely end up with a few(dang hobby!)

I found a lot of cutters in this style but have never read or heard anything about them before, I like the concept of having a straight and v cut on the same tool and the prices are generally pretty inexpensive. Does anyone have some inside knowledge of if these are worth a hoot? Seems to be a big design in Europe.
Cutters in that style used to be more popular. They were always considered pretty upscale. I'm not sure why they seem to have fallen out of favor—most likely less expensive guillotines worked just as well. The only question you have is whether the one you purchase is still sharp enough to do its job. If it is, you have a great conversation piece and a classy cutter.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-30-2017, 05:51 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I do remember using that type of cutter once. It did OK with the V-Cut but I never tried the straight cut.

But man, that Quad Cuter would look great on an end table next to my Stinky Ashtray. But I would like to try it out in person, or get a first hand review first. Does if have some weight to it? The reviews on them seem great. I used to love using the Boston Cutter at a store I used to go to so a table cutter would be nice to have.

Kidvegas and Alrightdriver like this.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill
post #9 of 16 Old 08-30-2017, 09:12 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpedhuez55 View Post
I do remember using that type of cutter once. It did OK with the V-Cut but I never tried the straight cut.

But man, that Quad Cuter would look great on an end table next to my Stinky Ashtray. But I would like to try it out in person, or get a first hand review first. Does if have some weight to it? The reviews on them seem great. I used to love using the Boston Cutter at a store I used to go to so a table cutter would be nice to have.

That's the one....and I bought the Boston Cutter in 1999....the Quad Cutter does just as good a job for $700 cheaper. The straight cut on the Quad Cutter is a scalloped type of cut.......it isn't a straight cut as much as it scoops as it cuts.
Piper and SoCal Gunner like this.

post #10 of 16 Old 08-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpedhuez55 View Post

Well, I can tell you first hand that I bought one based on @Cigary 's recommendation and love it. I use it regularly, but in particular for larger rg box pressed cigars (eg San Lotano Maduro) for that nice "scoop" V-cut.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em

Last edited by SoCal Gunner; 08-30-2017 at 10:11 PM. Reason: sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page