Newbie Wineador Build (Questions / Log / Progress) - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By UBC03
  • 1 Post By curmudgeonista
  • 1 Post By UBC03
  • 2 Post By PanicAcid

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-04-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Young Fish

Lightbulb Newbie Wineador Build (Questions / Log / Progress)

Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening Yadda Yadda.

Long time listener first time caller type deal, I've read a lot of builds on this forum and others and decided here would be where I'll post my rises and falls throughout this mission.

I've got an 18 bottle thermoelectric(Peltier) wine cooler (Similar to the Newair it's a Kalamera KR-18AJPE) and I'm raring to go.

Additionally I've purchased an external Electronic Thermostat (Inkbird ITC-1000F) which as I've read is often used for hooking the chiller itself into so that we can get above those 65/66 degree ranges and instead kick the cooler into life at 70 degrees and above and turn it off when it reaches our desired temp.

What I haven't seen many people do though (and which is my first question for you all) is heat the wineador.

I left mine over night and it dropped to a chilling 55/56 degrees and last night was warmer than other nights! (this was with the chiller unplugged too!)

So I've got myself a little 5w 6inch x 6inch heat mat (for seedling propagation and reptile habitats etc) my plan is to use the Inkbird to control both the cooler and the heating mat.

I would set a minimum temperature of say 64 degrees and a maximum of 72. This should keep me in the butter zone as far as temps go.

HOWEVER, whilst discussing my plans with some fellow wineador users, some have expressed that this is not worth doing, could be dangerous and worse could in damage my beloved collection (which is growing, I'm a newbie at heart!).

What's your opinion? The heat mat does NOT get hot, simply warm, I haven't tested it yet but it should be enough to take the bite out of the overnight temps.

Any input on this one would be great as I know most of the members here undoubtedly know better than me!

Much Love

Panic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-04-2019, 12:19 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Does it just drop to 55 or is it constantly 55?
Is there anywhere you could put it that's a bit more stable?

65 is fine, above 70 is not. Beetles hatch at 70+.

If your temp drops every once in a while it's no biggie. Think of the temp changes they go through when shipped.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #3 of 9 Old 02-04-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Young Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post
Does it just drop to 55 or is it constantly 55?
Is there anywhere you could put it that's a bit more stable?

65 is fine, above 70 is not. Beetles hatch at 70+.

If your temp drops every once in a while it's no biggie. Think of the temp changes they go through when shipped.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply UBC03!

Through out the night it could drop to lower and then bounce back up to 65/70 in the day.

Because of the size of the appliance I'm kind of limited and can only really keep it in our kitchen which unfortunately due to it's tiled floor and thin-ass walls gets chilly. Chillier than I think the sticks would be happy at.

My biggest concern with the temp variations from hot to could would be the RH, isn't there way more moisture at 69%RH at 55 degrees than there is at 69%RH at say 70?

EDIT: Just checked the temp gauge and right now it's at 57 and that's because we've been out all day so the heat has been off in the house. (smart house, knows when we're in and out etc) I couldn't justify leaving the heat on to my other half and I couldn't blame her for saying no.

I'm really thinking this little heat mat could do the trick.

Last edited by PanicAcid; 02-04-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Adding more info

post #4 of 9 Old 02-04-2019, 01:05 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicAcid View Post
Thanks for the reply UBC03!

Through out the night it could drop to lower and then bounce back up to 65/70 in the day.

Because of the size of the appliance I'm kind of limited and can only really keep it in our kitchen which unfortunately due to it's tiled floor and thin-ass walls gets chilly. Chillier than I think the sticks would be happy at.

My biggest concern with the temp variations from hot to could would be the RH, isn't there way more moisture at 69%RH at 55 degrees than there is at 69%RH at say 70?
Mister wizard i am not. I use the KISS method. 65/65 .. 65/60 for ccs..

I see these guys do write ups about TEMP affecting rh. But I never finish the posts.. lol

If you keep the rh within a couple points and try to keep the huge temp swings to a minimum. You'll be fine. Winter's tough for everyone. Be it stabilizing RH or temp. It's a PITA. If you have a register in the kitchen, you may wanna cozy you wineador up to it a bit.

I don't know how new you are to the hobby. The longer you're involved in it, the less you sweat the small stuff.

You're gonna get an @ssload of advice, numbers, science, and opinions. Like everything else, you have to find your stride. Some guys go the science/ tech way and monitor their stash like their life depends on it. I take the laid back approach. To me, cigars are supposed to be relaxing, constantly worrying about em defeats the purpose.

In the immortal words of ME. "Cigars are tougher than you think."

Shipped from 110 /90% humidity to New England -10/20% humidity.
Bolling in cargo boxes on the ship, frozen in the truck driving north, thawed out sitting at the post office, put in your freezer for a week, then back to room temp, THEN LIT ON FIRE.

STRESS LESS, SMOKE MORE..

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
Peapaw and PanicAcid like this.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin

Last edited by UBC03; 02-04-2019 at 02:44 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Puffer Fish with many spikes

Funny this thread came up, just this morning I was looking at this controller " bayite Temperature Controller 1650W BTC211 Digital Outlet Thermostat " I also saw the one you posted.
My set up is going to be a little than what you're doing. I planning on controlling the temp of the room that the cooler is in with a small AC and heater units.
The cooler I have, the condenser isn't working. https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar...t-pass-up.html

I'll like to see how your setup is going to work....Keep us posted.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Just monkeyin' around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post

I see these guys do write ups about trump affecting rh. But I never finish the posts.. lol
Hey! NO POLITICS!

Just kidding. Pretty sure you meant "temp". Freudian slip?

I don't know the answer to the OP's dilemma. But it's my feeling that a stable environment is best. Constant violent swings in RH or temperature don't sound like a great idea over the long-run to me.
PanicAcid likes this.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
post #7 of 9 Old 02-04-2019, 02:43 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonista View Post
Hey! NO POLITICS!

Just kidding. Pretty sure you meant "temp". Freudian slip?

I don't know the answer to the OP's dilemma. But it's my feeling that a stable environment is best. Constant violent swings in RH or temperature don't sound like a great idea over the long-run to me.
LOL... I'll edit that..

Hell at least i know you read my post. That's more than I can say for me.. lol

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
curmudgeonista likes this.

post #8 of 9 Old 02-04-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Young Fish

Ha ha thanks everybody for the replies.

So, I've got the cooling setup and the external thermostat fitted and only a few pennies in the swear jar!

Warning this is about to get image heavy!

The cooler, used 50.

So this is the haul that Amazon dropped off today.

This is the heat mat I got.

I decided to copy some of the other builds I've seen and use a cigar box to house the thermostat.

Everything wired up.

Testing the cooler kicks in when it should.

All setup back in the kitchen (currently just cooling not heating - jury is still out on that one!).

and as I say only one ouch! (this was done getting the temperature probe wire through the drain).

My goal with the build is very much a set and forget system allowing me to focus on the smokes and acquiring more - mwahahahahah!
ForMud and Peapaw like this.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Young Fish

Update time!

So after watching a few youtube videos about higher end Humidors I saw that they were a holistic climate control gig, hot and cold etc.

So I thought'd bugger it, I'm putting the heater in. My biggest concern was after the heater had knocked off, how long would it continue to radiate heat for? And would that take it over my temp threshold and kick the cooler in. Well I'm happy to report that the heat mat only continues to raise the temperature by .2 / .4 of a degree f after being turned off.

So my temp is set to 67 +/- 1 degree (so 66 / 6 and it'll stop heating at 67 and then climbs to say 67.2 and then holds solid.

I've got a boveda butler in there now but I've been having some issues with the calibration (i didn't take the film off the front of the sensor for the first calibration :-/ my bad) however it is showing solid temps +/- 1 degree although mostly it holds solid at 68 overnight (where the temps get into the minuses in my house) and during the evenings it's cooling whilst we've got the heat on. Overall I'm very happy, my goal here is a consistent environment for my sticks.

So I've got the goods in there now and have ordered some spanish cedar to make some shelves, I'm not making draws yet as I'm rocking loose sticks and boxes in the future so draws aren't really needed yet.

Pics:

To get the heat mat and LEDs wired in I had to drill two holes:

Which I sealed up with some non toxic aquarium sealant front and rear, I also plugged the drain at this point:

I then got the heat mat plumbed into the thermostat controller and adjusted the inline temperature adjustment to give a nice low heat just enough to make the internal temps climb, the joy of this feature is I can ramp it up when the weather gets really cold and turn it down or off when it's summer time:

I also fitted two RGB LED Strips to the front glass as the internal LED is useless. I cut the wiring connectors off of these and then used house alarm wire (it was 8 core and I needed 8 wires in total so made sense!)

and this is the result so far, shelves still to come and Ill update on those when I get the wood and make them!

and as I say it's rock solid, 65% RH at the bottom 68% at the top.

I've got a Humifan velcroed to the back at the bottom to shoot air up to the top every 15 minutes for 15 seconds which in my mind will create a swirling vortex with the power to equalise the top and bottom RHs but right now as my Humidor is in there with the lid open it doesn't really do it's magic, but I'm happy with the 65-68RHs, 2%RH deviation top to bottom is tolerable for me right now.

The butler is at the top because I'd rather know the worst case state of the Wineador, if it's over RH or too hot etc that reading will come from the top first not the bottom so.. Yeah it's sat snug at the top. I may get another at some point but right now I'm happy with the build and where it's at. Just need this cedar to turn up and finish a big project at work first. Travelling to Belgium next week for work for a week so in the Wineador I trust whilst I'm away!

Feedback, questions etc all welcomed!

Much love guys

Panic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chiller, heated, inkbird, wineador

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page