64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 Old 08-11-2019, 10:30 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

@Wheels Up

Check this out:

https://bovedainc.com/support/cigars...number-boveda/
Wheels Up likes this.

"Kerosene is fuel Brian, Red Bull is fuel. Kerosene is Red Bull." ~ Peter Griffin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old 08-11-2019, 10:45 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt8706 View Post
The size and seal of the container matter too
UBC03, Wheels Up and jmt8706 like this.

"In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."
post #23 of 46 Old 10-15-2019, 06:34 PM
Young Puffer Fish

Looks great so far! Iím debating whether I should convert a china cabinet I have and line it... or build from scratch like you have.

Decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wheels Up likes this.

post #24 of 46 Old 10-17-2019, 11:05 PM
Full grown Puffer Fish

Lookin good! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Wheels Up likes this.

Grumpy...It's not just an attitude, it's a way of life!
post #25 of 46 Old 10-18-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Minister of Propaganda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bos1600 View Post
Looks great so far! Iím debating whether I should convert a china cabinet I have and line it... or build from scratch like you have.

Decisions
I debated on that myself. I've seen a couple of converted china cabinets and part of me wanted to hit the easy button with a yard sale conversion. For better or worse, just about every piece of furniture I looked at locally was either ungodly expensive or made out of fake wood that I knew I'd be disappointed with six months down the road. I did find one solid wood end table cabinet that could have worked, but by the time I figured up the modifications I'd have to make to turn it into what I want, I was going to spend nearly as much time and money on it as just starting from scratch.

I don't have any illusion that my cabinet will seal better than a tupperdore, and I could have saved a lot of headache by just buying a big Yeti cooler or forking out the cash for a commercially manufactured cabinet with all the bells and whistles. But, my woodwork hobby is one of the outlets I use to decompress and be less of an uptight jerk.

Wood is honest, simple, forgiving, and I'm rambling. If you have a circular saw and drill, you can build a humidor. If you've got access to more tools than that, it gets pretty easy. Just have to make the time to do it, which really isn't that much. Everything I've done up to this point was accomplished in one afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in wi View Post
Lookin good! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Thanks for the encouragement, fellas. Knowing that somebody is still following this is exactly the kick in the backside I needed to get this humidor back on track.

Unfortunately, it's been a grueling couple of months at work since my last update to this build thread, and I've made no progress on personal projects.

However... my pistol competition season has come to a close until January (another addicting hobby that takes more time and money than I care to track) and we've got a tropical storm coming in this weekend, which means I'll have a good reason to hide out in my workshop for a bit. I'll have tomorrow morning off to smoke cigars, drink coffee, and I should be able to get at least *something* done in my shop. I won't finish this weekend, but I'll at least make some progress.
jmt8706 likes this.

When drone technology advances, hands-free umbrellas are going to be incredible.
post #26 of 46 Old 10-18-2019, 06:48 PM
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Up View Post
I debated on that myself. I've seen a couple of converted china cabinets and part of me wanted to hit the easy button with a yard sale conversion. For better or worse, just about every piece of furniture I looked at locally was either ungodly expensive or made out of fake wood that I knew I'd be disappointed with six months down the road. I did find one solid wood end table cabinet that could have worked, but by the time I figured up the modifications I'd have to make to turn it into what I want, I was going to spend nearly as much time and money on it as just starting from scratch.

....But, my woodwork hobby is one of the outlets I use to decompress and be less of an uptight jerk.

Yeah I agree... the last part you said here is why Iím gonna give it a shot. Iíd rather have simmering I built/made, even if itís for the same class as buying one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #27 of 46 Old 11-09-2019, 12:19 AM

I just came across this thread. Awesome work! How is the project going?
Wheels Up likes this.

Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn't be here, 80 are targets, 9 are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, but 1 is a warrior, and he will save the others.
post #28 of 46 Old 11-13-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Minister of Propaganda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09FXSTB View Post
I just came across this thread. Awesome work! How is the project going?
Thank you! I'd hesitate to call any of my wood projects "awesome," but I am enjoying them and I appreciate the compliment.

This thing is progressing, but slowly. I have moved a little beyond the last update, and I will post more pictures shortly. My company is going through a bit of a blending with another company and the last several weeks have been insane. I put in 104 hours last week (not counting the calls and emails I did from home or a hotel room) and my last full day off of work was... I don't know... sometime in late September or early October I think.

The good news is that we're coming close to the end of the year and my boss has notified me that I have no choice but to take a couple weeks of vacation, so there will be some shop time in the near future to finish this project off properly.
jmt8706 likes this.

When drone technology advances, hands-free umbrellas are going to be incredible.
post #29 of 46 Old 11-13-2019, 11:40 PM

Nice! Well, once you get some time off. I hope you enjoy it!

Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldn't be here, 80 are targets, 9 are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, but 1 is a warrior, and he will save the others.
post #30 of 46 Old 11-23-2019, 12:17 AM
Young Puffer Fish

Very nice job on the humidor I built a cabinet size humidor also and when it came to humidity I experimented with something a little different just a simple cop size humidifier and a humidity controller on Amazon and it's been working very nice for about a year now. It's just a cup size ultrasonic humidifier the humidity comes out like smoke it's not wet when you put your hand over it and it's hooked up to the Rain Bird humidity controller. The man at my neighborhood smoke shop uses the same type of humidity ultrasonic but he has a larger much larger unit and he's very happy with it so here's a picture of my cabinet.
Wheels Up likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page