Letís Build a Humidor! - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 08-05-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Minister of Propaganda

Letís Build a Humidor!

Iím building a humidor and thought somebody might find it interesting. If nothing else, somebody might use this as a jumping off point for their own project in the future.

First, Iíll readily admit that Iím a novice, hobby-level wood worker. There are lots of guys with greater skills, better tools, and better ideas. What I do is mostly satisfactory for my own pass-time, but I will be the first to own up to the fact that pretty much everything I do with wood can be done in some better way. Anyone who fancies building their own humidor can likely (almost certainly) find another solution that is less expensive, stronger, prettier, or less time consuming, and likely all of the above. That said, hereís the project:

Although Iíve mulled the idea over for quite a while, Iím designing a lot of this on the fly. Iím more than happy to share the dimensions and building techniques with anyone who is interested, but part of the fun of building something is creating a unique piece that is exactly what you want and not what someone else has done. For all of my building projects, I draw them out in only the most sophisticated Alabama CAD (Circles And Doodles). After the Alabama internet man recommended them so highly, I even picked up an Apple Notebook with plenty of storage. Not sure what the fuss is over

Matt_21 and mpomario like this.

When drone technology advances, hands-free umbrellas are going to be incredible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 08-05-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Minister of Propaganda

To begin the project properly, you have to start with a cigar. I started with a DE Java Red.

Iím a tall fella and I donít like digging for things at ankle level. Even though the storage area is only 48Ē tall, Iíve elected to put it up on 24Ē legs so that most things are easier for me to reach. This design will also fit well with the other furniture in my house.

I went back and forth on wood selection. I was tempted to do walnut, but I have an abundance of surfaced 1x4 pine and decided that in this instance, free wood is preferable to ordering rough cut through my lumber yard and spending a day with a planer. Maybe Iíll build another from a nicer wood in the future.

I start by creating my four corners, then turning them into two sides. Iím using 1x4 pine and 1/4Ē ply wood at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When drone technology advances, hands-free umbrellas are going to be incredible.
post #3 of 46 Old 08-05-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Minister of Propaganda

After the glue joints are set up on the two sides, I join the sides with back and front 1x4s. Pocket screws and glued joints everywhere.

Clamps are great, so is anything that can reasonably be used to apply weight to squeeze a glue joint while it sets. Which, in this August heat, doesnít take long at all.

After the sides are joined to each other with the front and back 1x4s, install the 1/4Ē ply back panel.

post #4 of 46 Old 08-05-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Minister of Propaganda

Time for another stick. This time my favorite go-to, a Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real.

Iím building what boils down to a box within a box. Boxes are easy, and Iím all about easy.

Now that we have a structure that can stand in its own and vaguely resembles a cabinet, things start to get more rigid. (And rapidly heavier, too)

Use some 1x2s as supports inside the top and bottom of the cabinet. Install them on all four sides. After these joints set, install 1/4Ē ply to the insides to create a floor and a ceiling.

While this glue sets is a good time to get acquainted with some sand paper and get started on knocking down some rough spots.

Matt_21, mpomario and Peapaw like this.

post #5 of 46 Old 08-05-2019, 03:46 PM
No longer a community member.

Very cool!
Wheels Up likes this.
post #6 of 46 Old 08-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Alpha Puffer Fish

Ok, Iím subscribed. Is that ply or MDF on the inside? Canít tell...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wheels Up likes this.

"Yes I am a pirate, 200 years too late" - JB
post #7 of 46 Old 08-05-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Minister of Propaganda

Iím lining the interior with Eastern Red Cedar. *This IS NOT the best option for a humidor.* Some might argue that Eastern Red Cedar should be avoided in humidors, and they would be generally correct. My plans are to line the interior with this and then seal it with shellac. The ERC is a wood that I really like for its appearance, but the smell is much stronger than Spanish Cedar and could change the flavors of any cigars stored in it. Sealing the ERC in shellac is to prevent the overwhelming aroma from getting into the cigars.

In the end, this will leave us with a strong, attractive, well-sealed cabinet. Just know that I am not suggesting Eastern Red Cedar as an ideal humidor wood. The best option would be Spanish Cedar or Mahogany. Iíll be building the shelves and trays out of Mahogany in a later post.

And this is where the end of my Sunday evening project left off. More to come next weekend.

Matt_21, Peapaw and jmt8706 like this.

post #8 of 46 Old 08-05-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Minister of Propaganda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidawise View Post
Ok, Iím subscribed. Is that ply or MDF on the inside? Canít tell...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Itís 1/4Ē plywood.

I tend to avoid MDF just because of how badly it swells when it gets wet.

Rabidawise likes this.

post #9 of 46 Old 08-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Cheap and Cheerful

Cool. I like to see DIY projects. I like the shadow boxing on the sides. Gives it dimension.
Matt_21, mpomario and Wheels Up like this.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.Ē
-Abraham Lincoln
post #10 of 46 Old 08-05-2019, 04:02 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Do me a huge favor.. next time you clamp something, put some scrap wood between the wood and the clamp.. giant pet peeve.. sorry

But it's lookin good

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page