Finally making the move - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ejbpesca
  • 1 Post By Olecharlie
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-16-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 59
   
Finally making the move

After some months of giving my wooden 50-75 cigar humidor with electronic humidifier a chance to perform I'm giving up on it for a plastic box with gasket type air seal and Boveda 60gram 62%. I see this method of storage as a favorite in many places on the web. I had made naked some of my cigars in the wooden one to see if it makes much difference and found that when the electronic gizmo comes on it releases too much moisture too fast giving a humidity soaking to the smokes near it. I still have the wooden one with two 60 gram Bovedas in it and the bare cigars in the plastic box. I'm giving up on my hygrometers too and just use the Bovedas as prescribed and hope for the best so now for another long rest to get the cigars back stable again after their run through the sauna that big electronic thing gave them. Oh do I like not having to season my clear plastic humidor too. I am beginning to think my wooden one never got seasoned properly to begin with, but after a year in service hopefully the wood is doing okay. No sign of mold in it as another wood cheapo I had did, and the worst wood/glass one I had simply fell apart..what junk. So three wooden ones and now a plastic food storage thing. Thanks for the advice on these. I'm looking forward to some better smoking cigars after their stint with their new Boveda packs.
OneStrangeOne likes this.
ejbpesca is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 10-16-2019, 01:51 PM
S&W
Puffer Fish with many spikes
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Central North Carolina
Posts: 828
           
Good move. I think you and your cigars will be much happier.
S&W is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 10-16-2019, 01:52 PM
Dark Lord
 
JtAv8tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 5,163
           
JtAv8tor is online now  
 
post #4 of 6 Old 10-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish
 
Yukoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Posts: 658
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbpesca View Post
After some months of giving my wooden 50-75 cigar humidor with electronic humidifier a chance to perform I'm giving up on it for a plastic box with gasket type air seal and Boveda 60gram 62%. I see this method of storage as a favorite in many places on the web. I had made naked some of my cigars in the wooden one to see if it makes much difference and found that when the electronic gizmo comes on it releases too much moisture too fast giving a humidity soaking to the smokes near it. I still have the wooden one with two 60 gram Bovedas in it and the bare cigars in the plastic box. I'm giving up on my hygrometers too and just use the Bovedas as prescribed and hope for the best so now for another long rest to get the cigars back stable again after their run through the sauna that big electronic thing gave them. Oh do I like not having to season my clear plastic humidor too. I am beginning to think my wooden one never got seasoned properly to begin with, but after a year in service hopefully the wood is doing okay. No sign of mold in it as another wood cheapo I had did, and the worst wood/glass one I had simply fell apart..what junk. So three wooden ones and now a plastic food storage thing. Thanks for the advice on these. I'm looking forward to some better smoking cigars after their stint with their new Boveda packs.
Real wood humidor storage is as much about aesthetics as it is "good storage". I have many threads about fighting with wooden humidors (including cabinets). What you're experiencing with electronic humidification is very common. There so much "tweaking" that has to be done with wooden humidors, it's often not worth it if aesthetics aren't really that important to you. I think you'll find Bovedas and a plastic tupperdor will suffice just fine
Yukoner is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 10-16-2019, 09:40 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader
 
Olecharlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Nashville TN
Posts: 5,570
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
Real wood humidor storage is as much about aesthetics as it is "good storage". I have many threads about fighting with wooden humidors (including cabinets). What you're experiencing with electronic humidification is very common. There so much "tweaking" that has to be done with wooden humidors, it's often not worth it if aesthetics aren't really that important to you. I think you'll find Bovedas and a plastic tupperdor will suffice just fine
I Luv a good quality Wood Humidor, but their not cheap. I have a Daniel Marshall that I purchased a couple years ago and a very old Thompson that was gifted me, both perform flawlessly with Bovedas only. I favor my cooler the most, air tight and works perfectly even unplugged.

For the price, good air tight Tupperware canít be beat. Just open on occasion, rotate, let some air circulate in and put the lid back on. Just Bovedas is all you need.

I prefer my cigars stored between 62-65%.
curmudgeonista likes this.

US Army Veteran 1974-1985
Olecharlie is online now  
post #6 of 6 Old 10-17-2019, 02:38 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish
 
Yukoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Posts: 658
       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olecharlie View Post
I Luv a good quality Wood Humidor, but their not cheap. I have a Daniel Marshall that I purchased a couple years ago and a very old Thompson that was gifted me, both perform flawlessly with Bovedas only. I favor my cooler the most, air tight and works perfectly even unplugged.
Smaller wooden humidors seems easier to regulate, at least that's my experience. The big cabinet ones are where things get reallllllllly pricey.
Yukoner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome