• 1 Post By MONSTERMATT
  • 7 Post By curmudgeonista
  • 2 Post By Verdict
  • 1 Post By 404: NAME NOT FOUND

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-12-2020, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Newbie in the ocean

humidor advice

purchasing a new humidor , i have looked at a few "refrigerator" type with led display etc,but most all them have poor reviews , then i look at cigar oasis electronic units to add in to the box and some have wi fi alerts which seem nice , anyway what would a truly seasoned connisseur look for in a box that would house about 250 cigars? thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-12-2020, 10:02 PM
CAT WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTERMATT View Post
purchasing a new humidor , i have looked at a few "refrigerator" type with led display etc,but most all them have poor reviews , then i look at cigar oasis electronic units to add in to the box and some have wi fi alerts which seem nice , anyway what would a truly seasoned connisseur look for in a box that would house about 250 cigars? thanks in advance
Honestly.. Tupperware and boveda. You'll find that most guys that have large collections and aged collections use Tupperware or coolers.

Cigar oasis is a no.. those things malfunction, you can kiss your stash goodbye..

If you're heart is set on a wineador , @curmudgeonista has a nice set up and he may be able to walk you through it.

Plus it helps to have a little background of your experience level , the climate you live in, and what your stash will consist of...

Sent from. .. HAPPY HOLIDAYS.. YA JAGGOFFS

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.- - - George Carlin
post #3 of 8 Old 01-12-2020, 10:08 PM
Retired Chaos Designer

A lot of people use the wineadorís they look nice and provide cooling, they can be tricky to get the humidity to balance out. I use coolers for bulk boxes, they are extremely easy and stable to set up and maintain. I have a couple of large wood humidors that I built (600 + ct each)
For wineadors, coolers or tupperdorís you want to use a two way humidifier such as Boveda, beads or Kitty litter. I do use electronic humidifiers (not Cigar Oasis) in the large wooden boxes, although if/when I have to replace them I will probably go with a different set up.
Kidvegas and MattT like this.

If I see a stick that made a noob nic sick,I put it on my list as a must try. (UBC03)

post #4 of 8 Old 01-12-2020, 10:18 PM
Elder Puffer Fish Leader

humidor advice

Your welcome!

Sent from the place that warmth has forgotten!

ANYTIME IS STOGIE TIME!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-12-2020, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Newbie in the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidvegas View Post

Your welcome!

Sent from the place that warmth has forgotten!
ok just wish it fit my living room decor a little bit better lol
Kidvegas likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-12-2020, 11:00 PM
Just monkeyin' around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBC03 View Post
Honestly.. Tupperware and boveda. You'll find that most guys that have large collections and aged collections use Tupperware or coolers.

Cigar oasis is a no.. those things malfunction, you can kiss your stash goodbye..

If you're heart is set on a wineador , @curmudgeonista has a nice set up and he may be able to walk you through it.

Plus it helps to have a little background of your experience level , the climate you live in, and what your stash will consist of...
I use:

• 150qt Coleman cooler with a dozen+ Bovedas for the bulk of my box storage (and a 48qt for some long forgotten NC's that are probably just in limbo 'til they get 86'd).
  • Several tupperdors with Spanish cedar trays and Bovedas for the majority of my loose cigars (plus a few without trays for box "overflow")
  • A Whynter CHC-250s wineador (fridge humidor) with Heartfelt beads and Bovedas... just "because. It's a lot more attractive, in a high-tech kinda' way, than the coolers and tuppers. But it's not really necessary for me in that my cigars live in my basement office/man-cave that keeps a pretty steady 68F-70F year-round. As a matter of fact, I unplugged mine a couple of years ago and use it sans artificial cooling now. But if you need the cooling, it's ideal.

Like @UBC03 mentioned, your particular situation may make a difference in the best selection. If you struggle with high temps in the summer, then a winedor is the way to go. Otherwise an airtight cooler or tupperdor(s) are the easiest of all to maintain. Another good, and fun, alternative is an ammo can humidor like the ones made by @amm0d0rs.

OTOH, if you want a traditional wooden humidor just know that most mass produced ones aren't worth the money or the trouble (especially the cheap Chinese humidors we tend to call "accessory boxes" around here!). I accumulated several some years back, but I don't use them for cigars since discovering how much more reliable and easier to maintain tupperdors and such are. But, if you want one pony up for a really good one like the custom humidors @WaxingMoon makes. One of these days I'm gonna' commission him to make me one as my VIP box.

Whatever you decide to do, forget the electronic humidifier. IMO they're nothing but a gimmick unless you're building a walk-in.

(Thanks a lot for the call-out Dino. There goes a half-an-hour I was trying to avoid spending on the keyboard. Gotta' go get some work done now. Orders keep pouring in.)

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
post #7 of 8 Old 01-17-2020, 10:05 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTERMATT View Post
ok just wish it fit my living room decor a little bit better lol
Put a sticker on it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk Pro
UBC03 and Kidvegas like this.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-18-2020, 02:32 PM
404: TITLE NOT FOUND

I'll fourth the tupperware recommendation. Been using a tupperware and humidity pack for about two years, they are really cheap to set up and also easy to scale (so if your inventory changes you can stock up or down if need-be).

Also, if you wanted them to fit your decor you could probably buy a chest/shelf/case that matches and looks nice then stash a less-decor-like humidor setup inside it.
Kidvegas likes this.

Signature Error 202: No Content

Last edited by 404: NAME NOT FOUND; 01-18-2020 at 02:33 PM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page