Adding TEC to Closet - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-17-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Adding TEC to Closet

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of adding TEC to my closet where I have a few of my desktop humidors and a cabinet humidor from Bob that does not have temp control.

I initially wanted to add TEC to the actual cabinets from Bob. I decided not to because this is my first time trying this and I don't want to destroy Bob's work of arts. I would rather change the closet door if I mess up.

Size of closet 44 X 74 X 23inches

I am either going to mount the unit at the top/middle of closet door or on the left wall, also top/middle. Those are the only two places where it is open air.

I am going to get advice on what to buy, then I have to calculate how many unit(s) of the peltier I need.

Just wanted to go over a list of things that I need.

1. Peltier
2. Thermometer to control temp
3. Power Supply
4. Insulation/seal

Peltier
I have just started looking around for a ready-made peltier assembly and with the help of fellow puffers I came up with the following choices.
1. TheroElectricSupplier Thermoelectric Supplier.com :: Kits and Sub-Assemblies $90
2. EIC - ThermoTEC™ Series - 400 BTU (DC) Solid State Air Conditioner | Electronic Cabinet Cooler - 400 BTU (DC) - EIC $1,000 depending on options
3. SUPERCOOL,( Manufactuer) (TEC) from ebay - $250 Supercool - TEC Thermoelectric Cooler/Heat Peltier -NEW | eBay

Thermometer to control temp
1. Saw a lot of people using Ranco, but don’t know which model and where to buy.
2. From China Temperature Controller of Thermoelectric Cooler Peltier - eBay (item 270606035375 end time May-07-11 03:55:04 PDT) $50
3. TheroElectricSupplier – (advance version) Thermoelectric Supplier.com :: Temperature Sensor-Display-Control Circuits $52

Power supply
TheroElectricSupplier – 110-240V 12V 6amps Thermoelectric Supplier.com :: Power Supplies $22
????

Insulation/Door seal
?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-17-2011, 04:56 PM
The Mad Roofer

Re: Adding TEC to Closet

The only thing I have to add is the seal of the cabinet. That is the biggest flaw ahead of you. I would just peruse Home Depot. I see you will be keeping your humi's in there. That is the best way for you I agree. I would not leave sticks out in the open, as I think they would dry out fairly quickly. Since there is no insulation that unit is going to be running constantly. Goodm luck and please keep us updated!
post #3 of 8 Old 05-13-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Hi Everyone,

I think I need some serious help here. I have absolutely no idea what I need and how I can make this TEC work.

I have purchased the following:

1. TEC by Supercool – There are 8- (12 VDC) Peltiers semiconductors inside each unit wired in parallel to get the 24 vdc. Dual Fan on Heat sink side - Hot/cold Determined by polarity on TEC
2. matching power supply listed ETA 24VDC 20A

So what else do I need to buy?

1. Temp sensors - I know that I would need so sort of temp sensor. How many do I need and I assume I spread them out in my cabinet.
(QUESTION: can someone recommend what make and model I need and where can I buy them?)

2. Controller unit – A unit that would get data from the sensors and regulate the fans and peltier when a certain temp is above a certain preset level.
(QUESTION: Does this unit comes with temp sensors? Are there units out there that would also control the fans separately from the peltier? If so, what make and model should I buy and where can I buy it?)

post #4 of 8 Old 05-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Bad Sushi

Call these guys... They are extremely helpful and are very willing to help. They sell replacement parts for our Edgestars and others. They will definitely help you out. At least it's a place to start
Peltier Coolers : Seebeck Effect : Thermoelectric Cooling : Generator : CustomThermoelectric.com

Cigars are like sex, some are better than others but you make your best effort finish them all.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-13-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

awesome, will check them out ASAP... thanks
post #6 of 8 Old 05-13-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_bj View Post
Hi Everyone,

I think I need some serious help here. I have absolutely no idea what I need and how I can make this TEC work.

I have purchased the following:

1. TEC by Supercool – There are 8- (12 VDC) Peltiers semiconductors inside each unit wired in parallel to get the 24 vdc. Dual Fan on Heat sink side - Hot/cold Determined by polarity on TEC
2. matching power supply listed ETA 24VDC 20A

So what else do I need to buy?

1. Temp sensors - I know that I would need so sort of temp sensor. How many do I need and I assume I spread them out in my cabinet.
(QUESTION: can someone recommend what make and model I need and where can I buy them?)

2. Controller unit – A unit that would get data from the sensors and regulate the fans and peltier when a certain temp is above a certain preset level.
(QUESTION: Does this unit comes with temp sensors? Are there units out there that would also control the fans separately from the peltier? If so, what make and model should I buy and where can I buy it?)
Just wanted to attach the diagram for the TEC unit. Don't really know what all the wiring means, but I will try to find out from the guy who sold this to me on ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TEC_Wiring2.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	34528  

post #7 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Hi all,

Just wanted to keep you guys updated. Here are photos of the peltier and power supply I am using for this project.

The peltier used is from supercool.

Top View
Back View Front View: Side View Spec:

POWER SUPPLY

Top view: Spec: Power supply Terminals
post #8 of 8 Old 05-27-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

I have a few questions don't know if anyone can help me on this.
I assume that the 24V Ranco (ETC 112100) would be the one I need right?
Concerning the setup with Ranco ETC 112100.
There are four terminals on the power supply
1. 240V +
2. 240 V -
3. 240V Ground
4. 24V +
5. 24V -
There are 9 wires coming out of the peltier unit.
2- Peltier (24-)
3- Peltier (24+)
4 – Temp Common
6 – Hot Temp sensor
6 - Cold Temp sensor
7 – Hot Side Dual Fans (24V+)
1/8 – Fan Common (24V-)
9 – Cold Single Fan (24V+)
Question:
1. Do I connect the Peltier 24V+ to the power supply 24V+ and do the same with the 24V -? How about the fans? Do I also connect this to the 24V to the power supply?
2. So If I do this, I will have the peltier and both the fans connected to the same terminals on the power supply?
3. I think there are temperature sensors on both the hot and cold side of my peltier unit, what do I do with these?
4. I want to have separate set of fans to run on a timer, maybe turning on every two hours for five minutes? Does the Ranco have this functionality? If not are there any recommendations for this?
5. In the product description of the Ranco unit, it says that this is a 0-10V output. The voltage changes with the reading from the sensors. Can I connect this to some sort of LCD display? So I can show the temperature of the sensor? Have anyone try this before and where and what kind of display do I need for this?

Thanks guys, hope someone can help me out here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
adding, cabinet, closet, cooling, diy, peltier, tec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page