Why no good looking digital hygrometers - Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-09-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Young Puffer Fish

Why no good looking digital hygrometers

I'm a noob and just got my first humidor seasoned but I wanted to replace the analog hygrometer with a digital one but could not find any that looked anywhere near as good as the analog. I bought the R4 but it doesn't fit and I'm wary about drilling a bigger hole and rendering the whole thing useless. For now I left the analog in place (front mounted) and keep the digital one inside. First world problems!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-09-2019, 05:30 AM
Young Puffer Fish

Take a look at Xiaomi hygrometer if it is available in US. It is minimalistic in terms of design you can buy a different colored cover and you can pair it with your phone and look at the values everywhere you are. Really useful, you don't even have to open the humidor.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-09-2019, 09:28 AM
Got bumps on my ash!

All my cigars are in Tuppers with Boveda packs so really no need for Hygros or "looking good". I do have 2 digi hygros that are reliable that are kept in a couple boxes, but they're pretty much useless. Function over fashion is the route I chose, but it's not for everyone.
When it comes to a digital hygrometer, choose one that's reliable, highly rated, and calibratable. Looks are secondary.
Gumby-cr, Rondo, Kidvegas and 1 others like this.

"I probably could have been a rocket surgeon or brain scientists." Rondo 2019

post #4 of 12 Old 07-09-2019, 11:00 AM
The Great Green One

It could be worse. I have 3 different ones in each of my 4 Whynter coolers. One on each shelf. I use a Boveda Butler, Xicar digital, and a cheap smaller digital one I got off of Amazon. Of all 3 I trust the Boveda Butler the most but you have to have a smartphone to use it since there's no display on the actual unit. They are kind of hard to find now for the past few months.
Peapaw likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-09-2019, 11:46 AM
One of the a-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherNeck View Post
Function over fashion
Even if my wife wasn’t drop dead gorgeous, I’d never give her up because she’s amazing at everything she does.

Blue Lives Matter
post #6 of 12 Old 07-09-2019, 11:47 AM
Leading Puffer Fish

Check out Fox Cigars for the Boveda Butler at $17, and Fox has great customer service. I have 5 in my Whynter and Newair coolers. But I’m a tech gadget person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 Old 07-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Director of Sarcasm

Location: I live in two different states....Confusion and Disoriented.

Oasis digital hygro..... got a few of these and they fit so well and take up no space...accurate and precise
LeatherNeck likes this.

Busting balls since 1954.
My Indian Name...Lives For Cigars
post #8 of 12 Old 07-09-2019, 03:21 PM
Just monkeyin' around!

I don't think you'll find a round digital hygrometer that's a direct replacement. Your best bet is the Caliber R4 you already bought.

I installed one in the drawer-front in my Whynter wineador in place of the worthless analog hygro that came mounted in it.

Why no good looking digital hygrometers-p1030757.jpg

You'll need a 2" hole-saw. It's nearly impossible to freehand the hole-saw since there's an existing hole there already, so you need a backing plate for the pilot/guide hole. Clamp a piece of scrap wood such as a 6" or 8" piece of 2x4 behind the existing hole (a couple more pieces of scrap on the outside may be needed on either side of the hole too to keep the clamps from marring the humidor's exterior finish). Start your pilot hole and go at it. The resulting 2" hole will be slightly oversized for the Caliber R4. Put a thick, wide rubber band around the body of the hygro that inserts to take up the extra clearance and create a rubber seal. It should be pretty snug, but if it's not add a second rubber band on top of the first one. I used a band that came on a bundle of asparagus and it was perfect.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
post #9 of 12 Old 07-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Oasis digital hygro..... got a few of these and they fit so well and take up no space...accurate and precise
I've been looking around for a really thin hygro to fit between the cedar trays and tupperware wall of my Hawkadore, so that I can see the readout without taking the whole box out of the cabinet. Do you happen to know how thick these are?

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” --J.R.R. Tolkien
post #10 of 12 Old 07-09-2019, 08:35 PM
Just monkeyin' around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgrim76 View Post
I've been looking around for a really thin hygro to fit between the cedar trays and tupperware wall of my Hawkadore, so that I can see the readout without taking the whole box out of the cabinet. Do you happen to know how thick these are?
Yes, a Caliber IV will fit between the trays and the outer wall. Those are produced by Cigar Oasis now. They bought out (or merged with ???) Western, the original brand name. Either way, look for Caliber IV, not Caliber 4R (4R is the round one I showed in my pic).
Cigary likes this.

I smoke in moderation. Only one cigar at a time. - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Puff Cigar Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page